• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archer - S6 |OT| of Phrasing, The Old Gypsy Woman & the Danger Zone - Thursdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Man, that was great. Fun to see they casted Tolman for the sister. Going to rural America and using the Fargo theme was the right thing to do. Love the terminator stuff with Barry.

- GIFs and quotes from Warming Glow

cSWOHec.gif

is it just me or does Katya seem... heftier then before to you guys?

- Via Warming Glow:
Comedy Central, the off-network home of Sunny In Philadelphia, has inked a deal with Twentieth Television for the off-network rights to Archer, basic cable’s second-highest-rated comedy among adults 18-49 and No.1 on FX. The deal covers all existing seasons and includes commitments for future seasons of the spy toon, which will begin airing on Comedy Central beginning as soon as May 2015. For the first two years, Comedy Central will have exclusive window pre-midnight, while FXX has exclusivity post-midnight.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Wow, forgot Archer starts this early in the new year and now it's only a few days away.

*edit*
Whoops, started a month ago!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This feels like the budget episode.
I mean, all those awesome action sequences couldn't have been cheap. So here's an episode where they're all stuck in an elevator.
Not that it's bad, there's a ton of great lines.

Can someone explain to me what happened at the end? Why did Mallory's phone forward to the elevator phone with that message from Archer?

Raxus

Oh, so that's why it didn't work? OMG LOL

Wait, does that mean that maybe he sabotaged the elevator too? But he got on it though. But then again...

No the new offices are just a piece of shit.

Fun fact, it is likely Archer shot the receiver on the room of the elevator hence why the phones worked. Granted Ray was outside the elevator making the call, we won't know if that is the case.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
christ
that ending and those sound effects

Grisby

That was a lot of fun. My late nights have been killing me and I missed it again last night, :(

Watched it this morning though. Archer is at its peak when every character is in loved in some shape or form. This whole episode relied on the characters and voice actors, and they nailed it.

The last bit with everyone attacking Archer was funny as hell.
Um, was that someone's blood written on the back of the elevator?

Best episode of the season so far. This cast is still gold.
It's a reference to a movie with Sean Connery and Kevin Costner called Untouchables. They're a group of police who are supposedly incorruptible, hence the name.

However, a character from their group is killed in an elevator and the word, 'touchable' is written above his head in his blood.

Damn good movie.

- Daily Beast: ‘Archer’ Goes ‘Seinfeld’ With the Inventive ‘Vision Quest’—an Episode About Nothing
Creator Adam Reed and executive producer Matt Thompson didn’t face the same pushback when they proposed “Vision Quest” to FX brass, as the network grants them full autonomy on the show. As far as the inspiration for the episode goes, Reed says that while one of his friends did fall down an open elevator shaft (he’s doing OK now, thankfully), he’s never been stuck in an elevator before or had a problem with claustrophobia.

“I don’t like being in places that I can’t leave,” says Reed. “I’ll never go on a cruise, for example. You’re just stuck on a boat with a chance of getting seasick or drowning! But this one just spewed out of my head. I wish there were more scripts like these that were easy to write.”
The episode took Reed less than two days to write, and the dialogue-heavy script was 40 pages long—or two pages of dialogue per minute. (The standard is usually a page a minute.) Since the characters on Archer are, by this point, so fleshed out, it’s basically an episode packed with what Thompson calls “character-based jokes” that align with each character’s specific, demented worldview.

“I knew how it was going to end, so you don’t really have to plot out any intricate whodunits, MacGuffins, red herrings, or anything,” says Reed. “It’s basically people bickering for 20 minutes, so it wrote really fast.”
But don’t worry—the gang eventually gets out of the elevator. And future episodes of the show will see them embark on even crazier adventures, including a highly anticipated upcoming crossover with that other FX spy series, The Americans.
In it, Archer takes Lana to Wales under the guise of a romantic getaway, but it’s really a top secret and highly dangerous mission. They get mixed up with Welsh separatists—whose leader is voiced by Americans star Matthew Rhys.

“It was based on stories Matthew Rhys told us about the Free Wales Army,” says Reed. “We have [Rhys] posing as a silly American with a wig on as a nod of the head to The Americans.”

The trapped in an elevator episode also provides a nice bookend to the two-part Season 6 finale that’s set inside the human body—featuring background animation decidedly more varied than the wood paneling of an elevator. For the finale, comedienne Carrie Brownstein guest stars as a scientist—following in the footsteps of her Portlandia co-star Fred Armisen, who voiced despot Gustavo Calderon in last season’s two-parter.

Amazing episode. Best so far this season. I've noticed a running gag where they keep dangling Ray in harms way as you wonder if this is the moment he gets maimed and paralyzed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom