• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a blood, bone marrow, and/or organ donor? Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't donate blood for a while due to a combination of me having a bad vasovagal response to anything involving blood, including people just talking about it, and me being below the weight requirements. However, I fixed the weight problem and managed to work up my nerves enough to donate blood for the first time at my university back at the end of October, and everything went just fine. Would like to make this a regular thing if I can now, especially since I'm O-.

Aske

Statistically I have as much chance of having mad cow disease as some random bastard who has never left Mississipi. So it's lazy because it's bad science. And you can test for it, which is possibly an unnecessary expense for anything except rare and extremely useful blood types. Which is what I have.

Do you have links to info on screening for vCJD? My quick search suggests it's still being prototyped.

Coincidentally, the British government are about to launch an investigation into the spread of vCJD due to cases of the disease being passed on via transplants and blood transfusions. This is from an article published yesterday:

The Independent said:
The Committee also heard that there is no commercial blood test for vCJD that can identify contaminated blood or organ donations and that the prion protein can survive existing sterilisation procedures used to clean surgical instruments.

I hope you're right because I share your frustration. If I could get cleared for blood donation I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Fury Sense

Hell yeah. Organ donor such a simple decision. Costs me nothing, really.

Blood I've donated twice before... but the second time I passed out. I've been afraid to donate again ever since then.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Blood and organ, haven't been to give blood in about a year though, really need to get back on that.

Linkyn

I have an organ donor card and am registered as a bone marrow donor in the UK. I want to donate blood, but the last time I tried (a few years ago), I had a bad reaction and was advised to wait until I am a bit older.

To me, being a donor is absolutely natural. When I was still very young, my mother was always giving blood (she can't anymore because of her age / blood pressure) and also registered to be an organ donor. When I asked her why, she put it in the simplest way: What's the point of having your parts rot away or be cremated with you after you die? You certainly won't be needing them anymore, but there is a good chance that you could save someone else's life with them.

As for bone marrow, I believe it is not a big hassle to give a DNA sample once. The thing with bone marrow is that it is extremely unlikely to match a specific person, so chances are you'll never be called upon to actually donate (in which case all you've lost is a few hours of your time). But if you do match, you'll probably be the only match, and without you, a person would very likely die from a disease like leukemia.

Ultimately, I know that if I myself or one of my friends or relatives was in a situation where their life depended on someone coming through for them or making this decision a long time ago, I would want them to be able to get all the help they need. What kind of person would I be to expect a complete stranger to save me or someone close to me if I'm not ready to do the same?

Prax

I plan to donate my organs upon death, but I don't think my blood is high enough quality as I'm regularly anemic. >_>
Though I do have sweet sweet O- blood, so I should rectify that and also get my body temperature under control while I'm at it, but I am bad at taking supplements. :/

Paskil

Sorry for the oldish bump. I was thinking about seeing who here is a donor and decided to search first. I donate blood regularly and am an organ donor. My dad needed two kidney transplants while still alive. One he was lucky enough to get from a second cousin. The other came from some accident case that they brought down from Winnepeg (I think). They both ended up rejecting in the end, but for the short time they operated, they did improve the quality of his life immeasurably by allowing him to forego dialysis.

I understand that some people might have reservations for their reasons, but I do think it's a bit selfish of people to not be willing to give up their organs and other viable tissue and marrow upon death.

I thank all of you that are donors. Know that if someone ever has family or has to utilize one of your organs in some manner, they will be truly grateful.

Sorry for the oldish bump.

No need to apologize. I'm always happy to see this thread get bumped. I always hope that it makes someone out there go "Well shit, maybe I should go donate blood again/for the first time." I've been lucky to never have a family member in need of an organ donation, but I can imagine it's a really harrowing experience having to 1) hear the news that an organ is needed 2) wait for what must feel like forever 3) hold your breath during the surgery and 4) cross your fingers that the organ isn't rejected. Regarding the last of those, I hope that medical research can continue to advance until a point where rejection rates become basically infinitesimally small.

Since this was bumped I might as well update.

Not really much to update, actually. A week ago I went in to have them draw blood for the bone marrow testing and now I have 3-7 weeks left to hear back if I'm the perfect match or not. I find it a little curious they say it's 4-8 weeks from when you give the blood test to find out if you get picked to donate but I'm sure there's plenty going on for the patient beyond just checking if my blood stuff is clean and matches.

I also enjoy seeing this thread bumped. Besides just being interesting to talk about I bring up my donation experiences with just about anyone to help raise awareness. Just the other day two family members went in to donate blood for the first time (both were rejected and will try again after working on their small health issues) and a friend of my sister is interested in signing up to be a bone marrow donor after hearing about my stuff.

So yeah, hopefully this keeps getting bumped and more people give. I'll definitely update in a month or so when I find out if I end up donating or get turned down.

DrSlek

I'm an organ donor. My wife knows that all of my organs are up for grabs.

I want to donate blood, but every time I think about doing so I always come down with an illness.

Ataxia

Blood donor... Though I have my restraints about it all. Each donation hurts more than the last. I think I'm going to stop once I reach donation number 10 (at 7 now).

someday

Banned
I'm an organ donor and I added myself and did the preliminary stuff for bone marrow tx as well. I joined the marrow list because of the shortage of black donors. I keep updating to keep myself on the list but so far, no call.

I apparently can't donate blood anymore due to living in Germany for 3 years during the 80s. I really haven't checked in a long time to see if it's still an issue because I often had trouble donating even before that ( anemic, heart murmur that my doctors say is insignificant).

I donated blood today, I'm about to enjoy my victory Pop-Tarts. It's really nice for me since the van parks in front of the building I work, and the company lets us count it as work... I would anyway though.

Doing a double red cell donation is still a little shitty, but flexing your leg and butt muscles during does help.

huxley00

No...I just hate needles with an unbievable passion, I've almost passed out on several occassions. I just cant seem to get over it.

My brother had lymphoma, part of that treatment was verifying if I was a match to be bone marrow donor. I went and did it, hoped I was a match, I probably would have passed out and cried several times during the actual process but it would have been worth it if it could have saved him :(.

With that said, thank you everyone who does this, it does make a huge difference and you do save lives. One thing I learned when my brother was still around, there are a lot of really great and kind people out there, more than you would ever think.

No...I just hate needles with an unbievable passion, I've almost passed out on several occassions. I just cant seem to get over it.

My brother had lymphoma, part of that treatment was verifying if I was a match to be bone marrow donor. I went and did it, hoped I was a match, I probably would have passed out and cried several times during the actual process but it would have been worth it if it could have saved him :(.

With that said, thank you everyone who does this, it does make a huge difference and you do save lives. One thing I learned when my brother was still around, there are a lot of really great and kind people out there, more than you would ever think.
During the process there's a 96% chance they'll use general anesthesia and you'll be knocked out completely. People shouldn't let that part stop them. Well, unless you get picked for the stem cell donation instead of bone marrow. Then it's similar to donating platelets and you will be awake while they do a much simpler needle-in-the-arm donation.

It's really tough to persuade people to sign up for bone marrow donation. I've met one other person that's on the list but haven't personally met anyone else that's actually been selected. I hope to get more people signed up, though.

The one annoyance I have is constantly getting asked how much I get paid when I donate bone marrow. Not sure why people believe you're paid when donating anything! I guess they think that people are paid for donating plasma but that's people selling plasma. Anyhow, just a small annoyance since I've been asked by most people I talk to about it and they seem appalled that I don't get money for donating.

I donated blood 10 times this year. That is a bit behind schedule from last year. I'll try to do better next year.

Yes, you can donate that many times if you donate platelets instead of whole blood.
You can donate up to 24 times a year if you just donate platelets.
http://bloodcenter.stanford.edu/donate/apheresis.html

I'm going to try to get the cycling jersey :
https://www.sbcdonor.org/index.cfm?group=points&function=redeem

It is gonna take a few years.
KuGsj.gif

Why do I do it? To give back to a world that has provided me with a lot.
This is something that I can do better than others since I have
blood that is O- and CMV-negative. They can literally take my blood
and give it to ANYONE, even someone who's blood type has not
been determined yet, preemie babies, and people with compromised
immune systems.

No, because I'm selfish and don't want needles stuck inside of me.

I am an organ donor, though. Once I'm dead, it doesn't really matter what happens to my body.

I donated blood 10 times this year. That is a bit behind schedule from last year. I'll try to do better next year.

Yes, you can donate that many times if you donate platelets instead of whole blood.
You can donate up to 24 times a year if you just donate platelets.
http://bloodcenter.stanford.edu/donate/apheresis.html

I'm going to try to get the cycling jersey :
https://www.sbcdonor.org/index.cfm?group=points&function=redeem

It is gonna take a few years.
KuGsj.gif

Why do I do it? To give back to a world that has provided me with a lot.
This is something that I can do better than others since I have
blood that is O- and CMV-negative. They can literally take my blood
and give it to ANYONE, even someone who's blood type has not
been determined yet, preemie babies, and people with compromised
immune systems.
I hope you're also doing whole blood cell donations and not just platelets since your blood type is much more valuable in that form. The Red Cross website actually says the greatest need for platelets are A+, B+, and AB blood types. Platelets are awesome to give between whole red donations, though, so keep it up! I need to go do another platelet donation, actually. I should e-mail my bone marrow rep actually to be sure that's alright. I'm holding off on whole red donation until I hear back on my status for the bone marrow because I'd hate to give a pint and then make complications for the timing on the bone marrow since that process takes a quart of blood/bone marrow.

-Silver-

I don't know. I genuinely don't know why I'm not on the register, helping people is something I'd like to do and once I'm dead, this body is useless to me, so I'm not sure why I'm not on the list. As for giving blood, I shit scared of needles.

Grinchy

Banned
I am an organ donor b/c I believe that once I'm dead, my body is useless to me and can only be useful if my organs are harvested in time. What do I care what happens to my enormous penis when I'm worm food?

I don't donate blood though because I get severely light headed when I do blood tests. I just have a weird mental block about having blood removed from my circulatory system.

zoozilla

I have a very logical approach to organ donation...you're already dead, so what does it matter?

But I don't donate any type of blood / marrow, because needles / drawing blood / surgery makes me very squeamish.

It's a selfish reason I know, but it's the truth. :-(

No, because I'm selfish and don't want needles stuck inside of me.

I am an organ donor, though. Once I'm dead, it doesn't really matter what happens to my body.

Well, at least you're consistent.

I was better about donating blood before I moved. Now the nearest center is significantly farther away, so I haven't been in a while. Need to find a way to donate more.

I'm also an organ donor, but I didn't know about bone marrow donations until reading this thread. I'll have to look into that.

And is there some problem with donating blood if you've been in the UK? I'm going to study abroad next semester in England - will that affect my ability to give blood in the future?

Dead Man

Well, at least you're consistent.

I was better about donating blood before I moved. Now the nearest center is significantly farther away, so I haven't been in a while. Need to find a way to donate more.

I'm also an organ donor, but I didn't know about bone marrow donations until reading this thread. I'll have to look into that.

And is there some problem with donating blood if you've been in the UK? I'm going to study abroad next semester in England - will that affect my ability to give blood in the future?

Some places ban you from donating if you lived there in the past, BSE scare and all that. Any future residency shouldn't impact you unless the rules where you move to are really strict.

Since this is sort of the official thread for blood donations, I wanted to give it a bump since it is the holiday season. If you're in the holiday spirit, now is a great time to share that and give a bit of blood to your local blood bank.

I'll get off my soap box. Here's a picture of my arm right now:

The Lamp

I'm not eligible to donate.

Also, I don't trust doctors to take proper care of me in a near-death situation where my organs are valuable lol. Especially after that GAF story I read a couple of years ago.

Soon as they find a test/cure for Creutzfeldt–Jakob I'll go back to donating every 56 days again. Until then, I'm stuck wishing I could help.

I'm not eligible to donate.

Also, I don't trust doctors to take proper care of me in a near-death situation where my organs are valuable lol. Especially after that GAF story I read a couple of years ago.

Soon as they find a test/cure for Creutzfeldt–Jakob I'll go back to donating every 56 days again. Until then, I'm stuck wishing I could help.

Hey, if you can't donate, you can't donate. No shame in that at all. BTW The Lamp, what story are you referring to?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I have a severe case of trypanophobia/needle phobia. You keep your fucking needles to yourself, docs and nurses. I've been told I have a rare blood type that the banks need but fuck no. No needles unless I absolutely have to. Fuck needles. Fuck.

I don't know why but I just can't be an organ donor. Just the idea of someone cutting me open to take my shit bothers me. Or someone letting me die to harvest my shit....

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I donate blood every time every 3 months. I never thought about donating bone marrow. What is the process like for that?

I am currently an organ donor. What do I care if someone takes my organs? I'm dead.

I used to be a faithful blood donor until I found out I had Graves' disease/hyperthyroidism.

Saganator

My mom was a nurse for 40 years, she told me not to be an organ donor because the doctors won't try as hard to save your life. I didn't take her advice, and I hope one day my dead body will save someone else, or drastically improve someone's quality of life. I just wish I could see where and how my organs helped, sucky thing about being dead.

I've considered donating marrow, because in that case there is a way bigger chance of actually seeing the results of donating, and potentially saving someone's life. I'm curious how long and painful is the recovery process? My job is pretty physical and requires my full attention, so no sitting in a cubical drugged out on pain killers for me. Would taking a few days off be sufficient? Do they match you with people around the world, or is it more localized?

I donate blood every time every 3 months. I never thought about donating bone marrow. What is the process like for that?

www.bethematch.com

Sign up and they'll send a simple cheek swab kit. Takes a couple minutes to do and package up. Once they receive it they'll tell you if you're eligible. Then you play the waiting game to see if you become a perfect match for someone.

In my experience I received the e-mail saying I was eligible as a donor on Thanksgiving 2013 about three weeks after mailing in my kit. I think it was within three days I got the e-mail saying I was a potential match. This is fairly unusual, I believe, as checking their site the odds of ever being selected is something like 1/400 or something.

Anyhow, once selected you have to schedule an appointment to give a blood sample so they can do further tests. From talking to them and communicating by e-mail I get the impression this is more to make sure you're healthy and not going to give any diseases or anything as the match part of it is essentially confirmed at that point.

Took about two months but in my case I was contacted to let me know that while I was a perfect match they wouldn't need the donation due to the patient's health improving, worsening, issues with insurance, and something else that I think was about finding a counselor? I could find the e-mail if you're curious.

If you actually do the donation they drill into your pelvis to extract the marrow. I think I read 96% of the donations are done while put under. You'll want to plan two or three days off from work following that. One person at Red Cross said they've had someone who has donated several times and they tend to get back and going in a day or two but generally most people take a few days to become comfortable enough to go about daily business.

So yeah, it's a bigger commitment but it's also not something you do every couple months like blood (or every couple weeks for platelets).

Since this thread popped up I've now donated blood four or five times and platelets five or six. I need to get back and do more as it's actually been two or three months since my last donation. Maybe that'll be something I do today. I had to start taking supplement pills because my iron got too low. That's fairly rare for men but I have a poor diet and cut out some of the fast food burgers I was getting and that was a big source of iron for me.

Edit:
My mom was a nurse for 40 years, she told me not to be an organ donor because the doctors won't try as hard to save your life. I didn't take her advice, and I hope one day my dead body will save someone else, or drastically improve someone's quality of life. I just wish I could see where and how my organs helped, sucky thing about being dead.

I've considered donating marrow, because in that case there is a way bigger chance of actually seeing the results of donating, and potentially saving someone's life. I'm curious how long and painful is the recovery process? My job is pretty physical and requires my full attention, so no sitting in a cubical drugged out on pain killers for me. Would taking a few days off be sufficient? Do they match you with people around the world, or is it more localized?

I believe donations stay within your country. I was informed that my donation would likely be performed locally but I don't believe the patient was local. I can't recall if that came up in the communication I had during the testing process.

I think you might be uncomfortable still after only a few days to recover if you're doing strenuous physical work. I think the FAQ suggests 5-7 days but as I mentioned above anecdotal evidence says some people are up and moving about within a day or two. I'm sure it's still not completely comfortable for a short bit, though.

Scary stuff. I guess, I'll roll the dice and hope that whoever is overseeing my care will do their best to save me. And, if not, well fuck it, at least I'm helping a bunch of people as I die. The benefit outweighs the risk, to me.

It bums me out so much to hear that. The system only works if people are trusting and, hopefully, if doctors are trustworthy. If either side falls apart then we end up with a bunch of people without organs dying or living shit lives. I can't blame you for not signing up, but I wish you'd reconsider. Regarding bonemarrow, Wibblewozzer just posted a good summary.

www.bethematch.com

Sign up and they'll send a simple cheek swab kit. Takes a couple minutes to do and package up. Once they receive it they'll tell you if you're eligible. Then you play the waiting game to see if you become a perfect match for someone.

In my experience I received the e-mail saying I was eligible as a donor on Thanksgiving 2013 about three weeks after mailing in my kit. I think it was within three days I got the e-mail saying I was a potential match. This is fairly unusual, I believe, as checking their site the odds of ever being selected is something like 1/400 or something.

That is highly unusual to be a match so quickly. Are you of non-European descent? I've heard there is a huge lack of marrow donors from Asian/African/Latino backgrounds and an overabundance of European/White donors. As for me, I signed up to be a bone marrow donor a few years ago and have yet to be matched. I am happy to donate if I am ever matched, but the odds are pretty long that it'll ever happen.

Red

I'm an organ donor. Won't miss my insides when I'm dead. Not a blood donor due to mad cow exposure.

I think a fair rule that should be implemented would be that if you are not a blood donor or do not have your organ donor sticker on your license that you should not be eligible for organ or blood transfusions. (Obviously barring circumstances where a person is not eligible to be donor).

kirby_fox

Banned
Organ donor. When I'm dead, it's not like I'm gonna use them.

I can't deal with needles so I can't donate blood or marrow...the thought of a needle in my arm makes me uneasy. Just typing this is making me shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom