• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a blood, bone marrow, and/or organ donor? Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

I'm signed up as an organ donor. Haven't donated marrow before. Blood on rare occasions, though I often forget to do it. I really need to go more frequently.

Sorry to bump this oldish thread.

On 9/28 I signed up for bethematch.com and became eligible on Thanksgiving which was four days ago. Today I got the email telling me I was a possible match and have already started the next steps and will schedule the blood work very soon when I can sort out my schedule for it.

So my question is for those that have been selected before. Is it common to be selected as possible and find out you're not a match after testing? Or is it the opposite that you're only picked as possible when it's nearly guaranteed? I'm curious to see what comes next. This went a whole lot quicker than I expected.

Also since this thread I went and donated blood a couple weeks later and just did platelets about ten days ago. Blood is so simple that everyone should do it. Platelets I can understand people being disinclined due to the time commitment and possible discomfort.

So I guess wish me luck? And wish the 48 year old lady with leukemia luck that I'm a possible match for.

Symphonia

Banned
I'd love to be a blood donor but, unfortunately, I'm not allowed to give blood for a number of health-related reasons. For that same reason, I'm unable to donate my organs too.

snap0212

I donate blood from time to time but I won't let them harvest my organs after I die. Never thought about donating bone marrow, to be honest.

My blood is the primo shit-- O negative and pure enough for babies. I go down to the blood bank at least once a month.
Are you donating platelets or something? Red Cross has me wait 56 days between whole red blood cell donations and 112 days if I do a double red donation (which I haven't yet and they may not need so much since I'm A-).

I'll try to make it monthly for platelets but I intend to do blood each time I can every eight weeks.

I'm organ donor and will mention it again when I test for my license (and donate $1), in the hopes they will forgive my driving errors XD

livestOne

I would happily donate "spare" organs to family members, but I'm not letting anyone open my body and take my organs while I'm in the process of dying. Besides, too many mistakes are happening every day, I'd never trust a doctor with that. This whole "You don't need them when you're dead" schtick is nice, but it isn't a reality.

I know I'm late to this but... wat?

What reasons do people have for letting their perfectly good organs that could save a life rot in their coffins? It's absurd, doctors aren't going to slit your throat for a lung.

Chairhome

Sorry to bump this oldish thread.

On 9/28 I signed up for bethematch.com and became eligible on Thanksgiving which was four days ago. Today I got the email telling me I was a possible match and have already started the next steps and will schedule the blood work very soon when I can sort out my schedule for it.

So my question is for those that have been selected before. Is it common to be selected as possible and find out you're not a match after testing? Or is it the opposite that you're only picked as possible when it's nearly guaranteed? I'm curious to see what comes next. This went a whole lot quicker than I expected.

Also since this thread I went and donated blood a couple weeks later and just did platelets about ten days ago. Blood is so simple that everyone should do it. Platelets I can understand people being disinclined due to the time commitment and possible discomfort.

So I guess wish me luck? And wish the 48 year old lady with leukemia luck that I'm a possible match for.

Congrats on being a possible match. For me, they had to do a more thorough test to make sure you're compatible. It still is a possibility that you are not compatible, which is why they need to do more testing.

There are a few steps that will come next, just bare with it and know that you could possibly be saving someone's life. Over here in FL, they reimbursed me for gas and some other stuff, so keep track of mileage if you're going out of your way. After they find out if you're compatible, you'll probably have the choice of doing it through the blood (longer process) or through the marrow. Good luck to both of you, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Sendou

I'm automatically an organ donor since I haven't expressed any opposition to the idea during my life. I think that's the new law. Unless you have opposed the idea of donating organs after your death you will automatically be considered a donor.

As for blood and bone marrow... I definitely need to get on that. No other reasons than laziness. Which is of course unbelievable stupid.

Both my fiance and I are recipients of double-lung transplants, so to all the organ donors here, thank you and spread the word!

daveo42

Banned
I'm an organ donor, mostly because I won't need 'em and there are plenty of living people what will/do. I haven't given blood in a long time, mainly because they can't take it because of med restrictions.

SeriousApes

I'm an organ donor because, why not? I have no particular beliefs against it.

I'd donate blood/plasma, but I have trouble with needles. I hate getting my blood drawn.

Are you donating platelets or something? Red Cross has me wait 56 days between whole red blood cell donations and 112 days if I do a double red donation (which I haven't yet and they may not need so much since I'm A-).

I'll try to make it monthly for platelets but I intend to do blood each time I can every eight weeks.

I go to a place called United Blood Services and donate plasma, which can be taken more frequently than whole blood.

Edit: After doing some research, it seems it would be much more useful for me to switch to donating whole blood. Who knew!

KorrZ

I do none of the above. Blood...man those needles are fucking huge! No way I'm going near that. Bone marrow would be even worse. As for my organs, I'll admit I don't have a real reason but I just...prefer to keep my body whole.

daviyoung

Banned
Organ donor and I've given blood here. I don't give money to charity so at least give resource to those that may need it.

Nope, fuck everyone got mine.

I hope this is a joke, because organ donor is when you don't even have yours and blood donor is when you have too much.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes on organ donor.

Because I'm not a bad person.

Cant give blood, though. At least not in the US. Apparently living in Germany between like 82'-85' or some shit meant I was at risk for some Mad Cow crap and all my blood is therefore useless to people who might need it.

<shrugs>

Talamius

Yes on organ donor. When I'm dead I don't need them anymore.

Given blood before. Never given marrow but have no objections to it.

I have a thing about needles. If they could magically transport my blood out of my body somehow that didn't involve stabbing me, they'd be welcome to it.

LuffyZoro

Organ doner yes. No for marrow, it kinda freaks me out. And I pass out with just two test tubes of blood taken, so donating blood isn't really likely.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
All of them. I'm a bag of useful meat. Tbh I don't have a great deal of respect for cultural or religious reasons against that form of charity.

sorry to anyone offended.

however I am also a universal blood donor, but thanks to lazy policy I can't donate (mad cow disease panic)

Five

Banned
If organ donation was opt-out, I wouldn't opt out, but I haven't been bothered to opt in yet. I gave blood once when all my friends at school were doing it and there was a drive on campus, but I passed out then and haven't felt like doing it again since.

The poor information really hurts with bone marrow transplants because the match rates for that are EXTREMELY low - you only have a 20-30% chance of matching within your family. I forget the exact raw rate, but it's something like 1 in 1000 last I checked. If you're Asian in particular, you are in high demand because very few asians signed up for the bone marrow registry for some reason. It's one of those deals where they search on the match list and there is exactly one person that could save a person's life.

Thanks for the info. I was obviously misinformed by my consumption of media, having never heard of it being done in NZ.

I give plasma whenever I can, it has been hard in the past to find the time with work and looking after the kids. I'm on stand down at the moment after my latest tattoo as well. As for the reasons? I just think its the right thing to do, it helps people, and costs me time and a I have a plaster for a day........... not a huge cost to potentially save someones life.

I'll have to look into the marrow registration thing here in NZ.

Congrats on being a possible match. For me, they had to do a more thorough test to make sure you're compatible. It still is a possibility that you are not compatible, which is why they need to do more testing.

There are a few steps that will come next, just bare with it and know that you could possibly be saving someone's life. Over here in FL, they reimbursed me for gas and some other stuff, so keep track of mileage if you're going out of your way. After they find out if you're compatible, you'll probably have the choice of doing it through the blood (longer process) or through the marrow. Good luck to both of you, and let me know if you have any other questions.
I knew the reason for more testing but I was wondering more if they're fairly certain or if I was selected as part of a group and from the further testing one person is picked as the best match. In other words, are my odds pretty high that since I'm a possible match that I'm their main hope or if there's a handful of people picked? I'm going through with all of it anyhow but this is more for curiosity and making sure I plan work accordingly since I'll have to take some time off.
I go to a place called United Blood Services and donate plasma, which can be taken more frequently than whole blood.

Edit: After doing some research, it seems it would be much more useful for me to switch to donating whole blood. Who knew!
Glad you looked into this. Definitely make sure you donate whole red blood. It's even quicker to do and can't be done as often so the commitment is minimal. Besides, you can still donate plasma if you wish, just plan a little time between whole blood and plasma days.
I thought bone marrow transplants were a very painful and serious procedure for the donor.
I've heard it varies. The website says to expect a week of time off and up to around three weeks until you feel back to normal. At Red Cross I talked to them recently and one regular donor there has been selected three times for bone marrow. He's a marathon runner and has described it as feeling similar to what it's like to run a marathon and the few days of discomfort that follows.

Regardless, it's definitely not a comfortable thing and can expect at least a few days of being down following it if not a little more. There's also a small (around 1.5%) chance of a serious complication for the donor. So let's hope my odds don't fall in line with that one, eh?

smr00

Banned
No.

If a family member was in a life/death situation and i was the only match or bone marrow or some organ i can live without and i was guaranteed i wouldn't die i would do it. Otherwise nope. And i am not letting someone gut my insides when i die.. I want mother nature to feast on me.

Aske

however I am also a universal blood donor, but thanks to lazy policy I can't donate (mad cow disease panic)

Is it lazy policy? I'm in the same boat. My understanding is that it's currently impossible to screen for CJD, so they're just being sensibly cautious. I was told a test is on the way, and potential blood donors should keep an ear to the ground. No idea if that means it'll hit in the next couple of years, or just that it's expected sometime this decade.

At least the potential CJD thing doesn't disqualify people from donating bone marrow/stem cells or organs/tissues.

Zertez

Im an organ donor, but due to an illness and medication they wont let me donate blood. Im very anemic as well, so my blood isnt very viable for people that need it the most unless there is no other option. I get blood transfusion several times a year, and among other things that bounce around your head during the transfusion, you start to grasp what an incredible gift you are being given by a complete stranger. It is strange at first seeing blood from a random person go into your arm, but after a couple of minutes you realize how special of a gift it is. You will never get a chance to thank the person other than try to pass the good will onto strangers.

FOOTE

I need to get myself out there to donate blood on a regular basis.. I am an organ donor though. So when I go, they can salvage whatever they want.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it lazy policy? I'm in the same boat. My understanding is that it's currently impossible to screen for CJD, so they're just being sensibly cautious. I was told a test is on the way, and potential blood donors should keep an ear to the ground. No idea if that means it'll hit in the next couple of years, or just that it's expected sometime this decade.

At least the potential CJD thing doesn't disqualify people from donating bone marrow/stem cells or organs/tissues.

Statistically I have as much chance of having mad cow disease as some random bastard who has never left Mississipi. So it's lazy because it's bad science. And you can test for it, which is possibly an unnecessary expense for anything except rare and extremely useful blood types. Which is what I have.

Cerity

donate blood every 3 months.

Down as an organ donor for "everything".

I'd love to give plasma, unfortunately my veins aren't big enough yet - it's something i'm working on.

Negator

I'd donate blood to a friend or family member that needs it, but I'm not about to donate blood for the hospitals to profit off of me.

Blood when I have the opportunity and time. I dont go out of my way to find drives or anything but when I was in college I donated a couple gallons I'd bet.

Organs are up for grabs too if I die. I wont be needing them and a part of me will get to keep on kicking for a while after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom