• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

I just added you, here's my FC if anyone's interested:

SW - 5721 -8081 -7043

Thank you!

SW-6188-0130-1440

Hopefully it's easy to create a friends lobby with gaf

I think i already have you on my list but i will take a second look anyway anyone is free to add me here is mine:

Switch friend code: SW-3394-8146-2614 (username = 13ruce)

Edit: will add a bunch of the codes posted here too.

I sent out a couple friend requests. My Switch name is haotshy.

Here's my FC if anybody else wants to add me:

0804-4169-6991

...I can be very petty. :p

sent all of you a request
J22 here
Hopefully we can get some matches in when the game releases

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Got three epic comebacks with Twintelle and every single time I was shouting in my house like a mad man. Whew

MTC100

Banned
Ribbon Girl best movement
Min Min best arms
Twintelle best character design

Best ARMS is worth nothing though once everyone can access them. Or do you mean her Dragon Arm? That's a quite nice ability I agree. I guess Min Min will be quite powerful in the hands of someone that perfects her kick but I feel like she is only tier 2 over all.

With Ninjara and Ribbon Girl being tier 1 for their insane movement capabilities. Man I can't say how often I just air-jumped/air-dodged out of an enemies rush attack, it's almost hilarious.

With Twintelle I'm not sure, we'd need to see more of her, strangely no one was playing her in my lobby, I guess she's not that great after all? I'd say she's tier 2.

Mechanica and Spring Man are probably tier 2 as well, I didn't play both enough to really judge though. I found Spring Man fun at first but I have no clue how his deflect ability works everyone keeps talking about(it is said in the help menu that he can deflect if the charge fades but that seems quite random?)

Master Mummy I don't know, I loved him at first but I think I won so many games with him because the other guys didn't play so well, didn't dodge or jump nearly as much as now in the endgame of the testpunch. I'd still say he's tier 2 probably though, in the right hands.

Helix is Tier 3

tumblr_op56ygqZnv1qh1rfpo1_1280.gif

okay okay, maybe tier 1 in the right hands, we will see ;)

So to sum it up, in my opinion:

Tier 1:
Ribbon Girl
Ninjara

Tier 2:
Min Min
Mechanica
Spring Man
Master Mummy
Twintelle

Tier 3:
Helix

I put my motion control impression in that thread about this being a hardcore motion game. I was just wondering if it would work but it exceeded my expectations.

Might I just say: as a motion-control player, this the first fighting game I've played where I was able to get to point of thinking about mind games or reading the opponent or being scrupulous about timing attacks/recovery, and all those other things that people who talk about fighting games talk about. I never got to that point in the heyday of SF2 in the arcade, and I never got to that point with any SSB despite taking the time to learn a few characters' move sets and combo potential in depth. In Arms, the execution barrier for getting to think about tactics is much lower, but without coming at the expense of the skill ceiling.

I've had this experience before in other genres like RTS, where the UI conveniences of a game like StarCraft II (just in terms of selecting and building things) opened more opportunities for low-level players to think about conceptual skills like scouting, timing, and harassment plays, but never in a fighter. And it's been such a unique experience, over the course of two weekends, to see other players in the lobby grow with me and grasp the basics: how to find windows to charge punches, how to exploit the stage layouts, how to counter grabs, how to read and defend against rushes. This all happened within a dozen hours of play (with a lot of community analysis and discussion in between, mind you), and we are so, so far from the kind of matches I was seeing on the first day. I can't wait to see what happens next as we move into thinking about how to use a wider glove selection, plan a balanced loadout, or strategically counter-pick between rounds in a ranked best-of-three.

J@hranimo

Banned
After this Testpunch, back on the fence.

I think I may just sit back and watch the meta unfold. Might not be a Day 1 game anymore, but might get it some other time.

Then you haven't met a good Ninjara player yet. This Zan I've played was a beast, lost the first 1v1 in a timeout and then won the second 1v1 against him in a timeout too... Kept evading everything I threw at him and was quite clever with the grabs, hadn't I changed my tactic mid game I would have lost the rematch too...

true. not this session at least. after you get used to the teleport grab spammers and beat them easily. I think i only met 1 or 2 Ninjara that were actually really good like that.
Believe i still beat them though. guess we'll see how things will go when the game releases

Ribbon Girl best movement
Min Min best arms
Twintelle best character design

Would honestly give best character design to Min Min too. but to each their own I guess

Best ARMS is worth nothing though once everyone can access them. Or do you mean her Dragon Arm? That's a quite nice ability I agree. I guess Min Min will be quite powerful in the hands of someone that perfects her kick but I feel like she is only tier 2 over all.

With Ninjara and Ribbon Girl being tier 1 for their insane movement capabilities. Man I can't say how often I just air-jumped/air-dodged out of an enemies rush attack, it's almost hilarious.

With Twintelle I'm not sure, we'd need to see more of her, strangely no one was playing her in my lobby, I guess she's not that great after all? I'd say she's tier 2.

Mechanica and Spring Man are probably tier 2 as well, I didn't play both enough to really judge though. I found Spring Man fun at first but I have no clue how his deflect ability works everyone keeps talking about(it is said in the help menu that he can deflect if the charge fades but that seems quite random?)

Master Mummy I don't know, I loved him at first but I think I won so many games with him because the other guys didn't play so well, didn't dodge or jump nearly as much as now in the endgame of the testpunch. I'd still say he's tier 2 probably though, in the right hands.

Helix is Tier 3

I have seen a Springman that could deflect everything lol.

I find it odd how if two people choose default skins one of them will have an alternate skin but if two or more choose the same alternate skin they all stay with it.

Also I'm pretty sure that to activate spring man's counter that blocks everything you just have to stop holding L/R

Ended up with my highest score so far, 73. Fun game - the test punches were enough to sell me on it, so I've already pre-ordered it. Didn't even try using anything other than motion controls. Been playing Spring Man almost exclusively, since I wanted to get the basics down before exploring the rest of the characters. Love the low HP attack power increase :)

I just want an easy way to practice, because although I'm still doing well, there are certain mechanics I'm not using AT ALL, and I know I'd be a better player if I was more strategic. Despite my best intentions, I seem to unconsciously fall back on a somewhat "spammy" playing style, and haven't even had one successful block during an actual match because I haven't been able to get in the mindset of attempting to do so; just been dashing and dodging to get out of the way. Haven't even used a single charged punch intentionally yet either.

Additionally, I've picked up got this weird tendency to end up throwing both punches when dash jumping and only wanting to throw one punch. Usually ends up going for a grab when I don't want to, or at least getting both punches out, which is usually not ideal. It's definitely me, and not the game controls, but I'm hoping I'll be able to correct that after release.

Wasn't expecting to like the game so much - just wanted to try it out and I'm glad I did. I have a feeling MK8 won't be getting much playtime once this is out, and I haven't even played Splatoon 2 yet. Switch wallet pain is real

ASIS

Helix is Tier 3

So to sum it up, in my opinion:

Tier 1:
Ribbon Girl
Ninjara

Tier 2:
Min Min
Mechanica
Spring Man
Master Mummy
Twintelle

Tier 3:
Helix
What? Naw, here's the real Tier list:

Tier 1:
Spring Man
Min Min

Tier 2:
Everyone else.

Anyone know if there is a chance there will separate lobbies for players using motion controls and traditional controls?

I played a bit over the testpunch and felt the experiences were very different. Overall, I had more success with the pro controller but enjoyed the gameplay more with the motion controllers. Movement, dodging, and targeting was much easier with the controller, but angling and hitting punches was better with the motion controls.

Would just be nice to know you're playing against the same setup, IMO

In my lobbies Spring man was the most used after Ninjara and Ribbon Girl I'd say

I saw just a single guy playing Mechanica during these last two days

Mechanica had highest win percentage last week. Though yesterday I went undefeated as Twintelle. Air charge and stopping time is too good, as are her default arms

For reference I was against max (7) level Hedloks so the lobby overall was quite good

MTC100

Banned
I find it odd how if two people choose default skins one of them will have an alternate skin but if two or more choose the same alternate skin they all stay with it.

I know, right? It's distracting too if you play a 2v2 and the other one is also using the same custom color as you but when both use the standard one then one get's changed... I wonder if that's some kind of bug though?

Also I'm pretty sure that to activate spring man's counter that blocks everything you just have to stop holding L/R

Oh really? But wouldn't he be easy to grab then? Is there any animation happening? I haven't played against many Spring Mans to be honest, well gonna check him out in the final game then, I liked him in my first test punch but stuck with Ribbon Girl for the last few.

Wasn't Mechanica the one with the best win-ratio in the previous testpunch?

Thanks to her arms probably, I'd bet her Win Ratio went way down in this second batch of testpunches this weekend...

I'm really at that point where I absolutely need a practice room. 2 weeks to go.

I got my ass kicked alot today trying to learn new techniques.

TheMoon

I realized the matches I enjoyed most were those that took forever and neither of us used their super. Just pure tango. Sometimes that leads to me being cocky and stubbornly not using the ready-to-go super that would ensure a victory because the dancing is so fun only to end up with punch to the teeth and a surprise KO. But it's worth it.

Anyone know if there is a chance there will separate lobbies for players using motion controls and traditional controls?

I played a bit over the testpunch and felt the experiences were very different. Overall, I had more success with the pro controller but enjoyed the gameplay more with the motion controllers. Movement, dodging, and targeting was much easier with the controller, but angling and hitting punches was better with the motion controls.

Would just be nice to know you're playing against the same setup, IMO

nah. don't hold your breath.

MTC100

Banned
What? Naw, here's the real Tier list:

Tier 1:
Spring Man
Min Min

Tier 2:
Everyone else.

You think? I only lost against one Spring Man so far and that was a really close call with both of us on the floor, lol

I think he deflected some of my punches too and was quite agile, could keep up with my extremely fast Ribbon Girl...

With Min Min though, I never had any issues, I had a very high winrate against her, the Megawatt Arm was pretty annoying though. I also perfected the 2nd in my lobby in the last test punch and he or she used her:

I realized the matches I enjoyed most were those that took forever and neither of us used their super. Just pure tango. Sometimes that leads to me being cocky and stubbornly not using the ready-to-go super that would ensure a victory because the dancing is so fun only to end up with punch to the teeth and a surprise KO. But it's worth it.

nah. don't hold your breath.

I figured. Honestly, that is the reason I won't buy the game

Totakeke

Permacharged Megawatt took down many 2v2 teams. Line the two opponents up in one line and it'll just hit someone most of the time. Easy pickings then.

Crayon

Might I just say: as a motion-control player, this the first fighting game I've played where I was able to get to point of thinking about mind games or reading the opponent or being scrupulous about timing attacks/recovery, and all those other things that people who talk about fighting games talk about. I never got to that point in the heyday of SF2 in the arcade, and I never got to that point with any SSB despite taking the time to learn a few characters' move sets and combo potential in depth. In Arms, the execution barrier for getting to think about tactics is much lower, but without coming at the expense of the skill ceiling.

I've had this experience before in other genres like RTS, where the UI conveniences of a game like StarCraft II (just in terms of selecting and building things) opened more opportunities for low-level players to think about conceptual skills like scouting, timing, and harassment plays, but never in a fighter. And it's been such a unique experience, over the course of two weekends, to see other players in the lobby grow with me and grasp the basics: how to find windows to charge punches, how to exploit the stage layouts, how to counter grabs, how to read and defend against rushes. This all happened within a dozen hours of play (with a lot of community analysis and discussion in between, mind you), and we are so, so far from the kind of matches I was seeing on the first day. I can't wait to see what happens next as we move into thinking about how to use a wider glove selection, plan a balanced loadout, or strategically counter-pick between rounds in a ranked best-of-three.

I've played fighting games for years and I follow exactly what you are saying here. That is great to hear. Thanks to the motion control involving the player in a different way, I'm expecting more people to have and experience similar to yours. They'll be able to own the moves more and get that tech inside where it can be a part of their game.

When there is an opening, I do not hit. It hits all by itself.

Re-posting my impression on motion controls here since that time thread is sinking and the article was dumb anyhow:

From arcade sticks to mice to steering wheels and flight yolks, a larger range of movement can involve more muscles, and allow for more accurate and nuanced input. I accept the challenge of the motion controls. I'll try to check out the next test punch and I'll go all motion. I'd like to see for myself.

NSwitch_Arms_03_mediaplayer_large.jpg

I just played the hour long test punch. I used motion control the whole time. Besides wishing for an option to reduce the sensitivity of the punch motion, I found the motion control excellent.

I tried it both sitting ans standing. It controls similar to virtual on, if you can imagine a pair of phantom joysticks to grab. Since movement is seemingly based on pumping the dash button, you can get a little bounce going to match the rhythm of the dashing.

I'm still clumsy with it but towards the end of the hour, I found a comfortable neutral posture that let me efficiently perform the physical gestures that were sinking in. The movements are compact and quick and it all started to feel like I was really shadow boxing to accurately control a game.

Similar to Virtual On, the distance between the characters makes this a game more about anticipation than reaction. This hides the inherent slowness of making partial body motion gestures vs pressing buttons.

I found inputs to be reliable and distinct. No de-sync or calibration issue. I am a bit of a sporto and have some boxing experience and I found that getting in clean inputs required a motor control that was not unlike real life where you have to be well... "clean'. You can get sloppy and be dropping your hands and stuff. You need to be able to maintain the form and repeat the motion you want cleanly. If you do that, you get what you want. If you get sloppy (usually when you get excited) you don't get what you want.

Overall this was fucking awesome and I think successful so far as a motion controlled fighting game.

Permacharged Megawatt took down many 2v2 teams. Line the two opponents up in one line and it'll just hit someone most of the time. Easy pickings then.

For me Thunderbird and parasol was amazing in 2v2. Thunderbird hit unexpectedly and allowed for either a grab or another charged punched when it was charged. Parasol blocked and punched through incoming attacks and essentially counted as a throw, pushing both characters away due to the tornado when charged

Yep this is something I really like and appreciate. Played a bit of fighting games before, but never really got to the point in which I could read the opponent and play the mind game. I don't even understand Smash in that regard at all.

But Arms just feels very accessible in that regard. Like, within the first 30 minutes I was able to grasp the very basic concepts already.

And this doesn't mean the game isn't deep either. There's plenty to learn. It's just also accessible.

Is there any interest in having a GAF Discord server for this game? I made a real quick one if anybody wants to join, but if someone else has already made one I can delete it.

https://discord.gg/qKYbug
If there will be a discord server announced in the OT, it should be in email tags. That way only registered users can see it (by quoting the post) and lurkers can't get in.

As a Min Min. I still use my kicks more for quick movement and safer dodges
Still. actually tried to be more offensive in one match. storming forward and kicking mummy's arms away.

while it worked . I still need to be better at it because i messed up the timing a few times.
Still. I'll work on it in the full game.
Lets see if i can go full Makoto attack with Min Min after i master it better

Biske

Slamamander is better, wind instead of fire

I think together will be really something.

I love the "that hit me out of nowhere" factor of these kinds of gloves. A straight punch often just misses, but a slap or a bird is like, "what the fuck? that hit me?" Over and over

JJShadow

I think I'll be spending a lot of hours in SP and training before going into MP, so many things to try yet and so many characters to test, I only had time to test Spring Man and Ribbon girl lol

MTC100

Banned
The last fighting game I've played was Killer Instinct on the SNES(or smash on the N64), so yeah traditional fighting games usually don't tick any boxes with me either, but ARMS is different, very different. It's a very personal experience, maybe because of the way the camera is positioned behind your character? When fighting someone of equal skill, I get more exited than with any game before this. I didn't think I'd buy it at first but after playing for about two hours I hit that pre order button hard, lol...

Playing the game is also exhausting in a way though, I don't think I will be able to play this game for more than about two hours at once, even with the Pro Controller. It's all the mind games that keep happening during the match, you have to be on edge to win, or at least it feels like that. Sure this mode we've played was called Party Mode but honestly it's more like a War Zone ;)

Doorman

I felt like I was particularly garbage during this last session, only a few matches where it felt like things really went well and didn't end up with a very high room-score.

Mechanica still feels like my best character so far, but Spring Man is improving...if only I didn't hate almost all of his default arms. Guess I should have just stuck with double-toasters more often.

pbsapeer

Banned
Enjoyed my time with the test punch today, but not sure it's for me. Did not like the handheld controls and just felt I was hitting random buttons the whole time. Even using the motion controls I felt I was just flailing my arms hoping to hit something haha. Never mind. Game looks gorgeous and I'm sure will be worth it for a lot of people. Just not my game!

MTC100

Banned
THAT'S THAT FIGHTING FEELING

I don't think any 2D(or 2.5D) fighter can bring it across quite as well as a full 3D one like ARMS though. ARMS is also very different, you don't have to think about button combinations to do your special attacks, to do your special attack you simply have to punch and fill up that rush meter and then hit a button and off you go. However the timing is still crucial of course.

Top Bottom