• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

Cuburt

People should definitely watch the Treehouse stream before writing it off or comparing it to other games like Wii Boxing due to superficial comparisons. The game has it's own sets of fighting mechanics that seem to add some good depth to the gameplay. I'd say the core gameplay should be enough to sell people on a full priced game with enough characters, fists, arenas, and modes.

Mory Dunz

How are the eff are all of yall assigning monetary value to a game from a 3 minute fight?

That's like watching BotW complete a Shrine and concluding "looks like a nice little $15 eshop thing"

exact same thing happened with Splatoon too. "Cute Sunshine paint mechanic. Eww Gyro. 20 bucks max. Where's Retro??"

I mean sure, you do you and all.
...or you could just wait a month or two.

Kouichi

The Treehouse stream has sold me on this game, so now I'm just hoping the game has enough content to justify the price point. A single player mode and solid online features should be enough.

I'd love to see this game get a update roadmap like Splatoon with new characters, stages, modes, and gloves throughout the year.

Mory Dunz

The Treehouse stream has sold me on this game, so now I'm just hoping the game has enough content to justify the price point. A single player mode and solid online features should be enough.

I'd love to see this game get a update roadmap like Splatoon with new characters, stages, modes, and gloves throughout the year.

That's what I'm predicting. Light launch with regular updates. If so, I might get it around christmas.

jonno394

No motion controls required, awesome. Depending on what modes, number of characters, post launch support etc this gets, I might be tempted to grab this if I go through with my purchase of a switch.

Easy Allies seemed hyped about it too, so I think this could do good things as long as it has the necessary depth.

edit - Splatoon style post launch like the guys above sai. More characters and levels over the course of 12 months, make this the next Splatoon!

saturnine

Looked interesting, though I really hope that they improved on their motion control technology. That's what will make or break this game for me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How are the eff are all of yall assigning monetary value to a game from a 3 minute fight?

That's like watching BotW complete a Shrine and concluding "looks like a nice little $15 eshop thing"

exact same thing happened with Splatoon too. "Cute Sunshine paint mechanic. Eww Gyro. 20 bucks max. Where's Retro??"

I mean sure, you do you and all.
...or you could just wait a month or two.

I like this game, but Splatoon's core mechanics of "shoot paint to cover as much ground + swim through that paint to cover more ground" immediately made sense to me as something with the potential for very deep gameplay.

Whereas this seems to be missing a key component to make it great.

Then again I was never a huge fan of fighting games.

Love fighting games, looks like a fun spin on that with enough depth to sustain me but still casual. I'm actually pretty excited about this one.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Learning that motion controls are not required has me much more interested in this game.

I like this game, but Splatoon's core mechanics of "shoot paint to cover as much ground + swim through that paint to cover more ground" immediately made sense to me as something with the potential for very deep gameplay.

I rather like my fighting games and often spend time analysing what makes them good versus shallow so once I noticed some of the core elements I was already pretty sold :3

My only concern is how potent dodging may or may not be: I'm sure they've been testing the heck out of it though so they've likely done something to avoid two more experienced players not being able to hit one another for the majority of the match :p

JoeInky

Looks like a unique and interesting take on 3D fighting games, and motion being optional is great, wasn't sure about whether this would get traditional controls or not.

Not enough to make me want to buy a switch when it comes out but it looks like the kind of game where if they kept updating it with content you could get a lot out of it.

Bit worrying that they said they were only working on getting online play into it though, that should bee a lock really.

I just don't see the $60 in this title. It looks far too limited. I see this being impulse grabs at $20-30. But I guess as there will be a game drought for the console people will snap up anything they can.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I rather like my fighting games and often spend time analysing what makes them good versus shallow so once I noticed some of the core elements I was already pretty sold :3

My only concern is how potent dodging may or may not be: I'm sure they've been testing the heck out of it though so they've likely done something to avoid two more experienced players not being able to hit one another for the majority of the match :p

Weren't you concerned with what appear to be limited movement options/precision?

For a fighter, the combat looks rather top-heavy.

NimbusD

Is there a single player to this? As in not just AI, but something more?

I'd love this if it were a brawler where you're just punching the shit out of multiple enemies.

Exile20

All this game needs is:

A story mode
Online multiplayer(Random, friends) with Rankings
More fighters(15-20)
More stages(10-15)
More boxing gloves

Trevelyan

Banned
I just don't see the $60 in this title. It looks far too limited. I see this being impulse grabs at $20-30. But I guess as there will be a game drought for the console people will snap up anything they can.

This is how I viewed Overwatch. I'm not going to spend $60 on a game where all I do is shoot people over and over online.

Weren't you concerned with what appear to be limited movement options/precision?

Not really, infact during the treehouse stream the guy playing ribbon girl actually did some of the crazy drop-in stuff I like to do in guilty gear against testament (some of his attacks have a safe spot between his scythe and his body so if you're good you can jump and land right between them for some close up shenanigans :3 )
So, to me the movement doesn't seem limited in all honesty: You can move in all directions, dash, jump and whatnot. I may have to go back in and rewatch to see if there's airdashing :p

While I understand concerns over the accuracy of motion control, I can't say for sure without hands-on obviously, but even the cruddy old wiimote didn't give me any trouble on wii-boxing (the nunchuck however was awful) and the joycons are likely considerably better. Keep in mind I say this as someone who mostly employed a 'counter-punch' playstyle so things like delays and accuracies would've seriously screwed my ability to evade and punish my friends. Wii-boxing wasn't super deep but there was at least enough of a kernel of something in there to enable some limited takes on real boxing styles like swarming, counter-punching, etc.

What do you mean by top-heavy out of curiosity? :eek:

Mory Dunz

But where it seems lacking in typical high low mixups in traditional fighters, it mighty make up for in aerial mobility that something like Smash comes to mind as having. Other games don't give that much aerial movement. Then the bouncing around on the stage edges...

I'm in the wait and see camp.

Mory Dunz

Well, yeah, the potential was there. And we can say that now.

But dang, I remember Splatoon intial reactions being negative. Even more negative than ARMs. People wanted that huge nintendo game to salvage the wii u but it didn't look it at first. But my memory may be tainted.

(I was in the wait and see camp back then too >_>)

But dang, I remember Splatoon intial reactions being negative. Even more negative than ARMs. People wanted that huge nintendo game to salvage the wii u but it didn't look it at first. But my memory may be tainted.

I was in the "this looks amazing" camp so let's hope my similar vibe for arms is equally prophetic though I don't think it'll be quite as 'mould breaking' as Splatoon, simply more an enjoyable title with some legs hopefully :p

boiled goose

good with gravy

Nah Splatoon reactions where extremely positive.

This being just a 1 v 1 fighter fundamentally limits it.

Xion86

Really enjoyed playing Arms today. It was definitely way more responsive and fun than Wii Boxing. Well paced, nice characters (the initial lot we got to pick from anyway) and quite tactful. You won't win much by spamming punches. I did however find it tricky to move left and right whilst in all the action. Throwing punches and even curving them was spot on though.

Best played with Joy-Con controllers separated, using motion for blocks and punches.

Mory Dunz

I was in the "this looks amazing" camp so let's hope my similar vibe for arms is equally prophetic though I don't think it'll be quite as 'mould breaking' as Splatoon, simply more an enjoyable title with some legs hopefully :p

Yea, I'm optimistic. Quality wise.
Sales wise I have no clue and won't even try. But if it has legs, ARMs will get an interesting meme picture...

So, has anyone played it with traditional controls? Or found impressions

My assumption.
L + R do the left and right punches. The left and right analog sticks cause the punches to swerve depending on the stick.

but....then how do you move? if the sticks are occupied.

Maybe X+Y are the punches. Then L+R do the breaking left or right. And the control sticks move. B jumps. A Blocks, etc.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Really enjoyed playing Arms today. It was definitely way more responsive and fun than Wii Boxing. Well paced, nice characters (the initial lot we got to pick from anyway) and quite tactful. You won't win much by spamming punches. I did however find it tricky to move left and right whilst in all the action. Throwing punches and even curving them was spot on though.
Do you feel there's sufficient replay value to the basic formula?

Movement is what I'm most concerned about. Wonder if it's something that clicks after you play it for a bit.

...simply more an enjoyable title with some legs hopefully :p
Maybe in the sequel.

Have they said who was developing this? People have been saying it was sort of a "Platinum-esque W101 style"

Movement is what I'm most concerned about. Wonder if it's something that clicks after you play it for a bit.

Apparently motion is optional so if it doesnt gel with you, you can go traditional.

Xion86

Do you feel there's sufficient replay value to the basic formula?

I had 8 turns. It was fun each time (and quite a workout for your arms haha), but i think the replay value will come in when trying the different characters and their unique weapons. You can mix two different weapons / gloves too, so one different one in each hand. Think Overwatch with its different characters and own abilities. I don't think it should be a full priced title though...

JSevere

damn this grew on me. if they nail it it could definitely become something special. neat that they resurrected Wii motion controls for it but I'm really interested it in seeing how it plays with a traditional controller setup.

Top Bottom