• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

So if Nintendo decides to make the sp campaign more than just an afterthought, what do you guys think it'll be like?

Before you answer, think of what they did for Splatoon. That game is primarily a competitive team based shooter, but it's campaign is more akin to a 3d platformer. They could have taken the easy route and made a series of bot battles and called it a day. That's the kind of effort I'm talking about here.

I think the mechanics in ARMS would work perfect for a modern take on the beat em up genre (streets of rage, final fight, etc.). Alternatively, the punch shooting mechanic could work perfectly in an on rails shooter type format (think sin and punishment).

Thoughts?

A brawler Would be very cool if there was co-op.

I like the way you think

Axass

Could possibly be big. Especially as far as competitive gaming goes, depends how deep the game is.

I love the aesthetic, seems a cross between Splatoon and Overwatch.

A brawler Would be very cool if there was co-op.

I like the way you think

Lol, good to see I'm not alone in feeling this way. Hear that, Nintendo?

Man, I think I'm getting a little obsessed with this game. Any good sfw fanart floating around yet??

Edit: After a quick 30 second search... none? Bomba confirmed? /s

Lol, good to see I'm not alone in feeling this way. Hear that, Nintendo?

Man, I think I'm getting a little obsessed with this game. Any good sfw fanart floating around yet??

Edit: After a quick 30 second search... none? Bomba confirmed? /s
tumblr_ojqb7gJpVO1rksymco1_1280.png

32253362726_a539d2d882_b.jpg

Definitely rule 34 already floating around tho...

Servbot24

Banned
I hate when people say shit like this when they know it's untrue. Stop shitposting.

Excuse me? Why do you think that was a shitpost?

Arms looks like a game that doesn't deserve a retail release and should cost 10-20 dollars. You might not agree but that doesn't mean I'm shitposting.

Neiteio

Man, ARMS looks AWESOME

I'm sure this has already been posted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zXEQ14IDeM

The character design, and art direction in general, is gorgeous. I love the animation on the extending arms. The moves and mechanics look like so much fun. I'm really excited for this... and I already want Ribbon Girl in Smash, lol.

Lukemon

Would someone kindly sum up Master Mummy?

His punches seem slow as shit too, making it pretty hard for him to deal damage to the quicker characters, although I imagine he has quite a lot of hidden tech to help cover that. This game is way deeper and more fun than it looked in the reveal stream - played four or five fights today so happy to field any questions people might have as best I can.

Da-Kid

Excuse me? Why do you think that was a shitpost?

Arms looks like a game that doesn't deserve a retail release and should cost 10-20 dollars. You might not agree but that doesn't mean I'm shitposting.
You are shitposting. You know damn well why. This is the first reveal of the game, it's going to look better and and polished as we get closer to release. We don't even know what different modes, and mechanics will be introduced, there certainly will most likely be along with more characters. So your first initial "reaction" to the game is hyperbole and comes off as a way to devalue the game. I'm sure you know that.

And please don't act like you don't know how game development and previewing works.

Neiteio

I feel like I just heard or read somewhere that ARMS has online play. Is this true?

Man, I really want to play this. I wish this was coming out at launch. Zelda and ARMS would be amazing.

I feel like I just heard or read somewhere that ARMS has online play. Is this true?

Man, I really want to play this. I wish this was coming out at launch. Zelda and ARMS would be amazing.

Game is DOA without online imo. They need to have it.

I'm kinda intrigued by the game. The movement options look super fluid and skillful, and the art is colorful and clean. Not being forced to play with motion controls is also nice. Could maybe be a sleeper hit?

Da-Kid

Yes, they said so during the reveal at the conference.

Neiteio

It does indeed.

Yes, they said so during the reveal at the conference.

They literally said so during the presentation
OK, cool. I must've not caught that detail since I was talking to my roommate during the presentation.

So ARMS has single-player, local multiplayer, online multiplayer... Motion controls and classic controls... At least five characters, mix-and-match gloves, stages with interactive elements... And it appears to be made by the Mario Kart team. This looks extremely promising so far.

Man, how do I access the timeline where Zelda, Mario Kart and ARMS are all out at launch?

Although MK8 and ARMS should make for a fun spring, followed by Splatoon 2 in the summer.

KooopaKid

Banned
Game is DOA without online imo. They need to have it.

I'm kinda intrigued by the game. The movement options look super fluid and skillful, and the art is colorful and clean. Not being forced to play with motion controls is also nice. Could maybe be a sleeper hit?

Online is planned. They told so during the presentation.

Servbot24

Banned
Based on what evidence

Based on the video that Nintendo decided to show me. The same video that everyone in this thread is using to formulate impressions and speculation with.

You are shitposting. You know damn well why. This is the first reveal of the game, it's going to look better and and polished as we get closer to release. We don't even know what different modes, and mechanics will be introduced, there certainly will most likely be along with more characters. So your first initial "reaction" to the game is hyperbole and comes off as a way to devalue the game. I'm sure you know that.

And please don't act like you don't know how game development and previewing works.

If they show me that there's more to the game in a later video, I will say "There is more to the game than initially hinted at, cool." What is the problem here? What is the hostility for?

You don't have to be offended at the notion that Nintendo may be choosing to release a small scale game. Some of the best games ever made in history released at well below $60.

Yaari

Too bad there's classic controls, which are probably all people will end up using online. Prolly better for some people but would have been fun if everyone was on equal grounds.

One of the more exciting titles I've seen.

Haunted

Character design and style look great, colourful and fun. Gameplay looks meh and controls pretty abysmal, though.

rjc571

Banned
Too bad there's classic controls, which are probably all people will end up using online. Prolly better for some people but would have been fun if everyone was on equal grounds.

One of the more exciting titles I've seen.

They'll be easy pickings for all of us superior motion control users

Spinluck

I want to know how precise the motion controls are.

Wasn't the press raving about how awesome the rumble was along with controls? Or has that event not happened yet and I'm imagining things?

Top Bottom