• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Ok, I can confirm you CAN do a wide grab with regular controls, nice. It's a bit tricky to pull off consistently, though.

Can you explain the technique a bit so I can put it into the guide in more helpful language maybe?

I felt totally inadequate writing that part because I'd never tried it and don't understand the stick/button input myself.

Turns out Totakeke's post earlier has a video on how to perform it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZroYR9ysMM

Railer

Picked this up today and followed the suggestion path of picking a character, doing tutorial + Championship 1-3, played some party now.

I would love to play with some GAFers, is there some Community thread with friend codes or is it this thread?

Anyway, my friendcode is SW-0233-6180-1840 , add me if you wanna play, still new to the game though.

Picked this up today and followed the suggestion path of picking a character, doing tutorial + Championship 1-3, played some party now.

I would love to play with some GAFers, is there some Community thread with friend codes or is it this thread?

Anyway, my friendcode is SW-0233-6180-1840 , add me if you wanna play, still new to the game though.

I added you but I think everyone in this thread would advise you to not go against me if you're faint hearted or not mentally prepared.

thedan001

hang out in the discord channel, most chatter happens there as far as gaf lobbies go

Watching Valle's matches with Gore's Helix from Sunday to see what one is in for in the lobby... and that's an awful lot of popping.

I've been clearing GP 4 without any trouble just with the default setups, and steadily improving every time, but after practicing a bit with Helix on my own just to learn the basics, I don't know if I'll keep that commitment and run GP with the Blorb / Ice Dragon / Guardian. I could tell right away that Helix's innate advantage (other than being hard to hit) is how quickly he charges up—right away if you make the tower, and for a small window as soon as you land the tap-jump. It takes some getting used to once you've trained on the charging patterns of the other characters.

From some practice in Versus and Training, though, I don't know if I'll be able to do very much with Helix's starting loadout (especially if I have the misfortune to draw Skillshot, which does not go well with this selection). It's giving me trouble on training stages that I had otherwise completely figured out on the other characters, which doesn't bode well. I'm curious if any of you beaten GP 4+ with those arms and, if so, what you made of the experience.

Can anyone link me to Hawkians guide for a friend?

Watching Valle's matches with Gore's Helix from Sunday to see what one is in for in the lobby... and that's an awful lot of popping.

I've been clearing GP 4 without any trouble just with the default setups, and steadily improving every time, but after practicing a bit with Helix on my own just to learn the basics, I don't know if I'll keep that commitment and run GP with the Blorb / Ice Dragon / Guardian. I could tell right away that Helix's innate advantage (other than being hard to hit) is how quickly he charges up—right away if you make the tower, and for a small window as soon as you land the tap-jump. It takes some getting used to once you've trained on the charging patterns of the other characters.

From some practice in Versus and Training, though, I don't know if I'll be able to do very much with Helix's starting loadout (especially if I have the misfortune to draw Skillshot, which does not go well with this selection). It's giving me trouble on training stages that I had otherwise completely figured out on the other characters, which doesn't bode well. I'm curious if any of you beaten GP 4+ with those arms and, if so, what you made of the experience.

For all intents and purposes he's also permanently charged in a puddle too, not just tower, and he can attack with both arms in puddle without standing up

Can't tell if that was sarcasm

Of course its sarcasm, haha.

You can stand there in tower mode blasting out power shots. Sure a good a good medium attack could go right through that, but tower wiggles and is harder to hit, and even then you can switch to puddle spam.

Its not like it isnt unbeatable or anything, its not THAT broken, but it certainly is stuff that puts Helix in a Tier all by himself.

Of course its sarcasm, haha.

You can stand there in tower mode blasting out power shots. Sure a good a good medium attack could go right through that, but tower wiggles and is harder to hit, and even then you can switch to puddle spam.

Its not like it isnt unbeatable or anything, its not THAT broken, but it certainly is stuff that puts Helix in a Tier all by himself.

Fair enough, anyone here who's fought me long enough knows it can be beaten and there are countermeasures but the fight itself has to be treated as something COMPLETELY different than any other character to even have a chance at victory, I would say.

Fair enough, anyone here who's fought me long enough knows it can be beaten and there are countermeasures but the fight itself has to be treated as something COMPLETELY different than any other character to even have a chance at victory, I would say.

Yeah for sure, its beatable for sure.

Its just that Helix has a MUCH easier way to access basic moves that everyone has, but everyone else has access to them on a more similar level. Helix can access it basically 100% of the time, at a ridiculous speed. Its clearly not balanced at all.

Its fascinating and interesting to see, but it will basically break any chance of the game being competitive until they fix it. Stuff in fighting games doesnt have to be unbeatable to ruin competition, it just has to be unbalanced enough to ruin everything.

Yeah for sure, its beatable for sure.

Its just that Helix has a MUCH easier way to access basic moves that everyone has, but everyone else has access to them on a more similar level. Helix can access it basically 100% of the time, at a ridiculous speed. Its clearly not balanced at all.

Its fascinating and interesting to see, but it will basically break any chance of the game being competitive until they fix it. Stuff in fighting games doesnt have to be unbeatable to ruin competition, it just has to be unbalanced enough to ruin everything.

Hmm...are you referring to the charged arms?

So far in my experience when I'm beaten, it's not really consistent, especially when I learn behaviors. Though I feel it might have todo a lot with people not practicing against Helix much. Whammer and parasol can be deadly but I can work around them, but if someone were to understand Helix more perhaps it would be a hard counter

Tower and puddle mode also have their weaknesses as well

Hmm...are you referring to the charged arms?

So far in my experience when I'm beaten, it's not really consistent, especially when I learn behaviors. Though I feel it might have todo a lot with people not practicing against Helix much. Whammer and parasol can be deadly but I can work around them, but if someone were to understand Helix more perhaps it would be a hard counter

Charged arms and his dodges as well.

This is the main issue though, and its something you even see yourself. Since Helix has such a different grasp of the basic abilities, his fights are extremely different from anyone else. Which isnt balanced.

Charged arms and his dodges as well.

This is the main issue though, and its something you even see yourself. Since Helix has such a different grasp of the basic abilities, his fights are extremely different from anyone else. Which isnt balanced.

Can't you argue that 1 or 2 of your arms would be "in case of Helix" and have the rest by your normal arms?

In a way fighting a Min Min is completely different from fighting a Master Mummy. With Helix I view that as the same, but just to a slightly greater extent

Can't you argue that 1 or 2 of your arms would be "in case of Helix" and have the rest by your normal arms?

No, because that is exactly what unbalanced means.

Unbalanced doesnt mean completely broken, it means exactly what you are talking about, it means needing specific tools to fight against it that arent necessary anywhere else. There is a difference between wanting to use different tactics against certain characters because they are effective, and HAVING to use different tactics because its the only thing that works.

No, because that is exactly what unbalanced means.

Unbalanced doesnt mean completely broken, it means exactly what you are talking about, it means needing specific tools to fight against it that arent necessary anywhere else. There is a difference between wanting to use different tactics against certain characters because they are effective, and HAVING to use different tactics because its the only thing that works.

I see, understandable. I can get that argument. It's too early to say, though. After various testing we were able to find some flaws most noticeably his incredible vulnerability in the air as well as the puddle's weakness to aerial combat

Ketch

I see, understandable. I can get that argument. It's too early to say, though. After various testing we were able to find some flaws most noticeably his incredible vulnerability in the air as well as the puddle's weakness to aerial combat

How does it fair against hammers and boomerangs/chakrams/slapamanders?

How does it fair against hammers and boomerangs/chakrams?

Hammers actually make things quite more difficult due to the way they function. Boomerangs also seen effective (slapamanders too) for air punishing but makes puddle untouchable. I dunno about chakrams but I hate Ram Rams specifically on Min Min

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Having trouble on the last two fights of GP2. Clearly I need to figure out how to play this game, haha. Wide throws seem to make my world burn.

Ketch

Hammers actually make things quite more difficult due to the way they function. Boomerangs also seen effective (slapamanders too) for air punishing but makes puddle untouchable. I dunno about chakrams but I hate Ram Rams

I think hammer + something what comes from the side is the way to go.

The only thing I think is actually unbalanced about it is the unlimited charge attacks. It's kind of OP on min min and it's definitely OP here. Instant charge is one thing, unlimited charge is.... it needs a bigger down side. And it's not like helix wouldn't be totally fine without it.

I think if it's gonna go esports then it'll have to be limited to default arm load outs or people will gravitate to things like this and it'll effectively be like a 4 character fighting game.

Yukinari

High level Arms play is gonna turn into high level Third Strike with everyone picking the same shit because its obvious what character and arms combos are incredibly good.

Helix with his default set is garbage but when he gets literally anything else hes a monster.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
High level Arms play is gonna turn into high level Third Strike with everyone picking the same shit because its obvious what character and arms combos are incredibly good.

Helix with his default set is garbage but when he gets literally anything else hes a monster.

What makes him so good?

I think hammer + something what comes from the side is the way to go.

The only thing I think is actually unbalanced about it is the unlimited charge attacks. It's kind of OP on min min and it's definitely OP here. Instant charge is one thing, unlimited charge is.... it needs a bigger down side. And it's not like helix wouldn't be totally fine without it.

I think if it's gonna go esports then it'll have to be limited to default arm load outs or people will gravitate to things like this and it'll effectively be like a 4 character fighting game.

Min Min only gets on one arm and has to throw or be super vulnerable to obtain it, though. Plus it can go away if knocked down. Helix is stationary and a single hit knocks him down, he can also be grabbed or be punished if forced to evade out of it

Spring has permanently without restriction past 25% HP

Yukinari

Hard as nails to hit. Any character that has great mobility options like Helix and Kid Cobra are handful in this game. It's funny how it feels like it's the heavyweights like Master Mummy and Mechanica that have to be more aggressive.

I tried using mechanica and master mummy just for fun and even then i had zero fun because its such a chore to do anything. I use B&B and Helix because they at least have some options.

It would be cool if there were a competitive mode for default arms. Having 3 specific arms each, it gives the characters a little more personality and I think it's more interesting to watch.

Kyuur

Went back to GP4 today and was pleasantly surprised to see how much I've improved since I first cleared. Great feeling!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hard as nails to hit. Any character that has great mobility options like Helix and Kid Cobra are handful in this game. It's funny how it feels like it's the heavyweights like Master Mummy and Mechanica that have to be more aggressive.

I'm noticing how much more dangerous mobility is over anything.

Are people going motion or controller? I'm currently trying motion, but curious if controller is worth it's weight or not.

Ketch

Min Min only gets on one arm and has to throw or be super vulnerable to obtain it, though. Plus it can go away if knocked down. Helix is stationary and a single hit knocks him down, he can also be grabbed or be punished if forced to evade out of it

Spring has permanently without restriction past 25% HP

Is he stationary? Can he be grabbed? Because yea those would be the down sides to make it balanced but it doesn't look like it's true for double poppers at least.

I'm noticing how much more dangerous mobility is over anything.

Are people going motion or controller? I'm currently trying motion, but curious if controller is worth it's weight or not.

Motion is a blast. My girlfriend was getting the biggest kick out of watching me do all these tiny precise movements on the couch the other day haha

Is he stationary? Can he be grabbed? Because yea those would be the down sides to make it balanced but it doesn't look like it's true for double poppers at least.

Yes and yes. And like I said he can evade out of it but can be punished in the air too. As for double poppers I believe you just have to approach careful and perhaps use another arm to disrupt or avoid them in order to land the one hit you need

cloudyboy

Neo Member
just had an absolutely insane match with two other player against an hedlock lv 7, somehow we won and we all used our super on him at the same time at the end (but I am not sure if the effects of all supers are cumulative or not)

Salaadin

Played all night with a controller yesterday and liked it. Then I read the newbie guide and figured I would give motion control a shot.

This is legit. I absolutely hated it at first but stuck it out for a few rounds. And a few more. I got better each time and now I feel really capable with motion. Better than I did with controller. I'm impressing myself.

I'm also sweaty.

random25

I think people just haven't consistently mastered all the characters' special traits. Once you learn your character quirks and combine that with proper arms combo then you're pretty good to go against anybody. There's just a counter for every strategy in this game.

Biske

I think people just haven't consistently mastered all the characters' special traits. Once you learn your character quirks and combine that with proper arms combo then you're pretty good to go against anybody. There's just a counter for every strategy in this game.

Sure... but I think the game is also pretty unbalanced like Gore highlights. It's not as if Gore is a genius and the only good fighting game player or person who can understand mechanics.

He's good and a Helix genius, but Helix is also on the busted side.

In terms of the game makers being able to balance this game, look at how easy it is to cheese Skate Park or Skillshot and tell me again that they've balanced it.

Games gonna get some patches for sure.

Top Bottom