• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Biske

Yeah your Helix is great Gore. So great that it clearly divides ARMS into the game I want to play and is fun and the Gore version which I don't want to play and isn't fun lol.

Yeah your Helix is great Gore. So great that it clearly divides ARMS into the game I want to play and is fun and the Gore version which I don't want to play and isn't fun lol.

Had one match against double popper spam while camping on one side of the ramen bowl and noped on out of their myself lol. Ranked is still fun and competitive.

random25

Sure... but I think the game is also pretty unbalanced like Gore highlights. It's not as if Gore is a genius and the only good fighting game player or person who can understand mechanics.

He's good and a Helix genius, but Helix is also on the busted side.

In terms of the game makers being able to balance this game, look at how easy it is to cheese Skate Park or Skillshot and tell me again that they've balanced it.

Games gonna get some patches for sure.

I beat Gore's Helix pretty consistently, and I'm just a Min Min player. :p He's just pretty much ahead on the learning curve. People can certainly catch up.

I beat Gore's Helix pretty consistently, and I'm just a Min Min player. :p He's just pretty much ahead on the learning curve. People can certainly catch up.

Min Min is the worst for me man, your entire game depends on you keeping a charged arm because if you do it's game over.

However I'll admit you're very skilled because no other Min Min fights like you or makes me hate myself as much

Biske

Just the fact that people have to devise a strategy JUST for your character and set of ARMS shows how wildly unbalanced it is.

Can fight literally anybody else and while I can still be viciously beaten, its clear that I can improve and do things better.

Fighting that Helix, its literally like playing a different game and I have to learn how to play that instead of ARMS.

ggx2ac

Just the fact that people have to devise a strategy JUST for your character and set of ARMS shows how wildly unbalanced it is.

Can fight literally anybody else and while I can still be viciously beaten, its clear that I can improve and do things better.

Fighting that Helix, its literally like playing a different game and I have to learn how to play that instead of ARMS.

This is true.

I went to ranked mode and played Helix. Helix is good, but having no recovery time between charged shots makes things so easy to hit people either close up or from far range.

Yes, Min Min has a permanent charge on one hand but that means you only have to avoid one weapon. It takes a few seconds to charge it up in the first place and gets removed from being knocked down.

Yes, Spring Man has a permanent charge on both hands but he has to be at 25% health and most people can't keep their cool when they are almost going to lose if they have that much health left.

Helix's charge up time is instant as soon as you hold the jump button, there are no other conditions and he can spam charged shots while dodging attacks at the same time.

I like using Helix but I'd rather have him get balanced first because it doesn't feel so skillful being able to win when you can spam charged shots so easily while no other character can.

Pastry

Banned
My issue is that the balance is so poor that 90% of ranked matches are now the same fight. It's the same two characters with the same combination of five or six arms over and over. Contemplating putting the game down a bit and hoping that this month or next month's patch has some balance fixes. I love the core game though.

This is true.

I went to ranked mode and played Helix. Helix is good, but having no recovery time between charged shots makes things so easy to hit people either close up or from far range.

Yes, Min Min has a permanent charge on one hand but that means you only have to avoid one weapon. It takes a few seconds to charge it up in the first place and gets removed from being knocked down.

Yes, Spring Man has a permanent charge on both hands but he has to be at 25% health and most people can't keep their cool when they are almost going to lose if they have that much health left.

Helix's charge up time is instant as soon as you hold the jump button, there are no other conditions and he can spam charged shots while dodging attacks at the same time.

I like using Helix but I'd rather have him get balanced first because it doesn't feel so skillful being able to win when you can spam charged shots so easily while no other character can.

Like I said, what you mentioned is true but he can be grab, hit once while in tower mode by a variety of arms that can't be dodged like the curving ones, the heat seeking ones, megatons, perhaps some others I'm forgetting. He's also really vulnerable in the air which is the only way to exit tower mode

My issue is that the balance is so poor that 90% of ranked matches are now the same fight. It's the same two characters with the same combination of five or six arms over and over. Contemplating putting the game down a bit and hoping that this month or next month's patch has some balance fixes. I love the core game though.

What character and modes?

ggx2ac

Like I said, what you mentioned is true but he can be grab, hit once while in tower mode by a variety of arms that can't be dodged like the curving ones, the heat seeking ones, megatons, perhaps some others I'm forgetting. He's also really vulnerable in the air which is the only way to exit tower mode

Do you think that Helix is balanced?

Biske

Indeed, I believe so. In fact I'm collaborating with Dan for a "How to beat Gore/Helix" tip and guide post.

Lol, how can you say that and say he is balanced.

I don't need specific strategies for any other character and arms combinations.

Its the very definition of broken, needing a special strategy for just one character.

Haines

Banned

I always take ANY online mp super slow at launch with a few play sessions here and there.

It always an unbalanced mess. Just gotta have fun with it. Me and the wife played some drunk arms launch day. Shit was a blast

evanmisha

I do. Min Min with double Ram Rams and fast-falling Ribbon Girls both require specific strategies and at least 1 specific type of ARM on my part.

Its the very definition of broken, needing a special strategy for just one character.

Just because it's a unique and different strategy doesn't mean they're broken though. The strategy against a Min Min is different than it is against a Mummy than it is againsg Ribbon than it is against Kid Cobra, Helix is just as vulnerable but it just takes a while to realize.

Biske

Just because it's a unique and different strategy doesn't mean they're broken though. The strategy against a Min Min is different with a Mummy than it is for Ribbon than it is for Kid Cobra, Helix is just as vulnerable but it just takes a while to realize.

Its not the same though. I'm not a great fighter. I get my ass kicked in this game a lot. Not even the hardest min min is anything like fighting you.

Helix is better. Period.

Speely

Banned
So on a scrubbier level...

Advice for Byte and Barq on upper GP levels? I've been doing well at keeping the pet harmless easily and without issue, but I feel like I cannot get any good reads on him.

Spring Man btw (trying to get through GP with him first.) Using Poppers, which do well enough and I've won against him once using them, but I don't feel like I know WHY I won lol.

Moreso than anyone I've faced yet, I feel like his punches are timed perfectly for seeking me out anywhere. Keep in mind I am not very good, so feel free to speak down to me :p

Its not the same though. I'm not a great fighter. I get my ass kicked in this game a lot. Not even the hardest min min is anything like fighting you.

Helix is better. Period.

But I would reckon that's just Helix requiring a high and steep learning curve in order to reach generous rewards.

Playing skillshot on GP5... I don't think i can beat this?

Pretty frustrating, I'm not really having much trouble with the real fights.

thedan001

Helix looks broken, but it's not

I played hundreds of helix encounters with thegoremagala, mostly he is really good with helix not because of helix itself only.

Helix is an annoying character, period, but gore really makes it shine cuz he responds fast and plays good mind games.

I'm not trying to praise ppl, it took a long time for me to be able to win games aganist gore because his skill level was already high to begin with.

First day of ARMS, Gore's helix was different and easier compared to now, he adapted and still is learning even more. We've experimented so many crap enough to say that his helix can be countered, it's just not easy with a high skill player controlling it.

After 3 long days of losing to gore, I started taking notes and learning how he punishes my moves, until finally I turned tables and won some games today aganist gore.

I played minmin with ramram on left for perma charge special and use that to sweep gore's helix whenever he evades to the left (my perspective) and megaton to go thru his poppers giving me a shield to his spam.

I notice everyone's not timing the counters/punishers aganist his helix properly, it's when he's falling midway after his jump that's when I capitalized most of my damage aganist him among other factors in my last win.

I can provide a more detailed guide for fighting helix later tonight or tmw, I main minmin.

Biske

I would be shocked if you can reach the level of your Helix with any other character.

Edit: And thats not to say you wont be amazing with other characters or totally dominate with them too.

But I can honestly tell you getting a 100% ass kicking from that Helix is very different from a 100% ass kicking with any other character who outclasses me.

christ, I'm terrible at this game. I'm trying to use the thumbs up style and I'm getting beat on the SECOND LEVEL of grand prix.

Trying a regular control scheme, I just don't think it "works" as well as the thumbs up style. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

I'M GOOD AT VIDYA I SWEAR

thedan001

Oh and don't bother grabbing gore's helix, he will just puddle and it misses. Grab should be only used if there's a punish moment and you don't have charged arms up

I manage to build rush first before gore does as well

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
christ, I'm terrible at this game. I'm trying to use the thumbs up style and I'm getting beat on the SECOND LEVEL of grand prix.

Trying a regular control scheme, I just don't think it "works" as well as the thumbs up style. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG

I'M GOOD AT VIDYA I SWEAR

Yeah, I'm terribly inconsistent at the moment. It took me like 8 tries to be round 9 on GP2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just got back from my first local switch group meetup for a few hours. They had two monitors with docks set up and we were popping switches in and out or sometimes playing on tabletop. must say that was extremely fucking fun.

Everyone there was pretty bewildered by my use of the motion controls and ability to succeed with them. Only one other guy there had ever tried the game before but they all got pretty into it. The guy who had played a bit and I finally got to do 5 matches at the end of the night, he was actually damn great with Twintelle. He won three in a row on her stage (damn cars + parasol blocked my Revolvers), then I won two in a row at Ninja College. Big turning point with me was just going back to tried and true dual chakrams against Twintelle; one of them always gets her. By the end of the second match I was taking him apart. Then I had to go. I really think if we had a rematch on Twintelle's stage but I stuck to double chakrams I'd have wrecked his business, but the thing is, if we'd kept going he could always switch his Arms again and counter my chakrams. This is really, really good shit. It's a perfect game for that kind of environment.

Everyone besides him that was still learning stuff, I beat the everliving shit out of. Got a few of them to try out the motion controls after seeing some good stuff done with them. Many were confused by character's individual abilities and playing through full matches against each other without taking advantage of any a single time (just to give you guys an idea of how really new players will do when picking up the controllers). I thought that was interesting compared to something like Smash, where the more advanced stuff was pretty opaque, but you generally would at least see all the character moves that made them unique just by button mashing.

can't wait to go back!

So far this is my first time playing Min Min and I'm dominating with her against most and winning often against the more skilled players, still the top of lobbies, will update

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Went back to GP4 today and was pleasantly surprised to see how much I've improved since I first cleared. Great feeling!
hell yeah!
I'm noticing how much more dangerous mobility is over anything.

Are people going motion or controller? I'm currently trying motion, but curious if controller is worth it's weight or not.
Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion
Played all night with a controller yesterday and liked it. Then I read the newbie guide and figured I would give motion control a shot.

This is legit. I absolutely hated it at first but stuck it out for a few rounds. And a few more. I got better each time and now I feel really capable with motion. Better than I did with controller. I'm impressing myself.

I'm also sweaty.
Yessss

It's so good when it clicks.

Motion is a blast. My girlfriend was getting the biggest kick out of watching me do all these tiny precise movements on the couch the other day haha
Yes muahahaha.
Had one match against double popper spam while camping on one side of the ramen bowl and noped on out of their myself lol. Ranked is still fun and competitive.
yeah, um I have faced a lot of worthless Helixes....

The good ones I've run into online are hard to beat because he's rare, and I have little practice against good Helixes in general. The CPU doesn't use him well. But they are a normal kind of challenge, and I can win against them.

Gore is not normal, I don't really want to get more into it than that. Helix is great and probably high tier but also difficult to use to his full effectiveness.

Went from rank 1 to rank 7 all in one day, I feel like I'm really getting the hang of things. I don't think I had lost a single match in the past 2 hours. This game feels really freaking good when you are in a groove.

javac

I'm really bad at this game but I went through difficulty 4 of GP with not too much difficulty on my first try, not sure what that says about me. I'm decent with Spring Man in GP but garbage with him online, also not sure what that says about me.

CELYlL7.jpg

Had a few games with some gaffers online, I'm terrible! Got one sneaky win at the end of one match, both down to like 1 HP and as the timer hits zero an explosion from my rush knocks him out. User name is Qaiz if anyone sees me online, I'm the terrible one!

Top Bottom