• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Plumpman

The game has grown on me, and I really enjoy it when it closely resembles console assassins creed's (bigger missions, assassin missions).

On the other hand, while the persona system might have sounded great on paper, it is just downright poorly executed and boring.
I mean, I'm playing assassins creed, why would I ever want to dumb my character down to lady or slave?
Its almost like filler until you get to the good stuff, which is too bad because the filler is forced and overly long. >.<

I wrapped it up and got the platinum just a few hours ago and just posted my impressions in the trophy thread, which I'll re-post here:

I think that if it had had another 6-12 months in development, to fix up the story and bugs (though the latter seems to be more of a problem with the engine, so would fall on Montreal), it would've been amazing. As it is, it's still a really good game but let down quite a bit in those two areas. Still, the graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is even better than usual, the locations are great and the missions are almost all well designed.

If I were to compare it with the other AC's (excluding AC3, as I haven't played its SP yet), I'd put it right in the middle. Not as good as AC2 or AssBro but much better than AC1 and AssRev.

- Aveline's plot is one giant pile of bizarre shit, really. Most bad guys have no motive, except for "because I can". Also, the plot tweest is worse than any M. Night Shyamalan movie.

WTF? You'd have to be blind to not see it coming from a mile away.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I wrapped it up and got the platinum just a few hours ago and just posted my impressions in the trophy thread, which I'll re-post here:

I think that if it had had another 6-12 months in development, to fix up the story and bugs (though the latter seems to be more of a problem with the engine, so would fall on Montreal), it would've been amazing. As it is, it's still a really good game but let down quite a bit in those two areas. Still, the graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is even better than usual, the locations are great and the missions are almost all well designed.

If I were to compare it with the other AC's (excluding AC3, as I haven't played its SP yet), I'd put it right in the middle. Not as good as AC2 or AssBro but much better than AC1 and AssRev.

WTF? You'd have to be blind to not see it coming from a mile away.

Exactly how I feel about it.

Oni Jazar

I've been having a blast with the game. I'm a fan of the Assassins Creed games and am waiting for AC3 to hit PC so I dove into this instead. I'm very glad that I have. It feels like an upgrade in a lot of ways from the Ezio games. I like the new combat mechanics and the bayou traversal so far. I like the main character and setting. I like how went with a completely different side character and setting for this game.

Negatives for me are poor framerate, poor sound quality and bugs. I can overlook these things however with AC in my pocket!

Zen

Banned
Can you revisit previous areas or are you stuck moving through locations with a linear progression? I completed sequence one and didn't get all the sync points.

I had to restart my game before completing sequence 1 due to it hanging forever on the loading screen and I'm enjoying the game a lot more now that I'm better adapting to learning the language and expectations of the series.

Grisby

Still playing this and having some fun. I seem to have more problems handling the free running here then I did in the console versions.

It feels like Uncharted Golden Abyss in that the sequel could probably wreck some shit up with improvements.

Hypatia

The persona mechanic is a really good idea but it's executed so poorly.

There's too little to differentiate the personas and what differentiation there is is hardly used because the mission design is too linear to allow any real experimentation.

Take the mission to kill the Governor for example; you only have a choice between Lady or Slave and the only real difference that makes is wether you bribe the guards or walk past them carrying a box. You even enter the house the same way.

If the levels were designed with more freeform play in mind there could be much greater use for the three personas. i.e you could pickpocket an invitation as the Lady and walk up to the front door, as the slave you could go pick up the box and enter via the back door and the assassin could climb up to an open window on the roof.

And even then when you get indoors it's the same hallway with the same three guards you have to kill. You can't charm them as the lady and you can't walk past as a slave pretending to do a job. Nor is there anywhere to climb up to get past them via platforming. What's the point in giving the player a choice when it has no real effect on anything?

And the missions that do allow some level of choice often discourage it with requirements for 100% sync.

It's a shame because if it was well executed it'd've added a lot to the tepid stealth mechanics.

Still, despite that I'm having fun with the game. I wish the story wasn't so choppy though, I'm having a hard time following what's going on.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I've just become another victim of the corrupted gamesave glitch. I was about halfway through Sequence 5, and had spent a few hours running around the swamp picking up eggs and diary pages then I clipped into a tree trunk. I loaded the previous checkpoint and it bumped me back to the title screen.

Not sure if I'm going to start again right away or chill until Ubi puts a patch through.

I've just become another victim of the corrupted gamesave glitch. I was about halfway through Sequence 5, and had spent a few hours running around the swamp picking up eggs and diary pages then I clipped into a tree trunk. I loaded the previous checkpoint and it bumped me back to the title screen.

Not sure if I'm going to start again right away or chill until Ubi puts a patch through.

Wait this is a thing? ughhhh gonna back up my save tonight

The persona mechanic is a really good idea but it's executed so poorly.

There's too little to differentiate the personas and what differentiation there is is hardly used because the mission design is too linear to allow any real experimentation.

Take the mission to kill the Governor for example; you only have a choice between Lady or Slave and the only real difference that makes is wether you bribe the guards or walk past them carrying a box. You even enter the house the same way.

If the levels were designed with more freeform play in mind there could be much greater use for the three personas. i.e you could pickpocket an invitation as the Lady and walk up to the front door, as the slave you could go pick up the box and enter via the back door and the assassin could climb up to an open window on the roof.

And even then when you get indoors it's the same hallway with the same three guards you have to kill. You can't charm them as the lady and you can't walk past as a slave pretending to do a job. Nor is there anywhere to climb up to get past them via platforming. What's the point in giving the player a choice when it has no real effect on anything?

And the missions that do allow some level of choice often discourage it with requirements for 100% sync.

It's a shame because if it was well executed it'd've added a lot to the tepid stealth mechanics.

Still, despite that I'm having fun with the game. I wish the story wasn't so choppy though, I'm having a hard time following what's going on.

You can, actually.

I agree though. While I do think all the missions were well designed and were very rarely repetitive or boring, they could've gone even further with their gimmicks and made them better. Put it down to rushing development, I guess. Hopefully they get the chance to come up with a sequel and expand on their ideas.

AwRy108

Is this happening with the digital and physical versions, or digital only?

Dawg

Hah, this takes me back several pages. I was like the first person in the world with that savegame glitch or something.

Seems I'm not the only person in the end. A lot of people are getting it, and it's really frustrating.

Valkyr47

Banned
the free running in this game seems glitchy

like i know for sure im pushing in the R trigger and holding it, but the game seems to think im not and makes her stop running, then i push it in harder and get nervous, i think know im subconsiously thinking my R trigger feels mushy and its not working, even though it works in all games

Noi

I'm starting to play this immediately after putting 35+ hours into AC3 and I'm immediately having more fun in just a few hours. I wonder what that says about both games.

Dawg

Really? I played AC:L before AC III and I immediately understand why AC:L felt kinda mediocre. AC III did everything better.

FStop7

Banned
Someone pushed me into the water.
I fell through it and am now floating in midair, under the city.

I fell through the world while sharing a horse with Paul Revere. That asshole kept shouting LEFT! LEFT! as we drifted through the nether.

Game sucks, guys. It's half finished. And even if it were fully finished there are problems that run much deeper.

I'm starting to play this immediately after putting 35+ hours into AC3 and I'm immediately having more fun in just a few hours. I wonder what that says about both games.

Yeah this game is unpolished, glitchy and Bteam but ive still had more fun with this in comparison to AC3 proper.

Noi

Really? I played AC:L before AC III and I immediately understand why AC:L felt kinda mediocre. AC III did everything better.

The fact that AC:L took the time to explain how the Persona system and the blowguns work to me automatically means it did something better than ACIII.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Just got my third gamesave glitch. Guess I'm just really unlucky or something. I'm going to see if Best Buy will take this back because I'm done with this buggy piece of s$%t.

Wow, came in here to post an oddity with my save game last night.

Fired the game up and before it even loaded the title screen, I got the PS message window stating "Save game is corrupted" with a Yes/No to overwrite.

Clicked 'No', booted the game back up and miraculously, it was fine.

Guess I've been super lucky though, reading some posts from this page. Argh.. Maybe I'll hold off continuing my play for a little while.

A.E Suggs

The game has grown on me, and I really enjoy it when it closely resembles console assassins creed's (bigger missions, assassin missions).

On the other hand, while the persona system might have sounded great on paper, it is just downright poorly executed and boring.
I mean, I'm playing assassins creed, why would I ever want to dumb my character down to lady or slave?
Its almost like filler until you get to the good stuff, which is too bad because the filler is forced and overly long. >.<

To get a difference experience? I enjoyed those parts.

Massa

Using the lady persona can be pretty fun. There's a mission you have to kill a slaver in a heavily guarded house; with the lady persona you just walk right in, charm him, have him follow you to a hidden place and... bam, stab him in the neck.

sajj316

Is there a consolidated list of glitches with issues addressed in latest patch and what's still outstanding? I'd like to communicate this to Ubi via twitter and keep on them ...

Are you easily impressed by huge budgets and production values? If so, that'd be why. I'm not that far into AC3 but that's the big difference as far as I can tell. Seemed like they threw a crapload of money at AC3, while Liberation was made on a FAR smaller budget. The story in both are complete messes and the gameplay is exactly the same but I'd give Liberation the edge as far as the level and mission design go.

Massa

After finishing the game and doing side stuff for a bit my save finally got corrupted. I suspect it was either the near functionality or the multiplayer that did it, so I'd recommend staying away from both (you're not losing anything). The game is being transferred to my PC in case Ubisoft decides to patch it, otherwise I'll start from scratch if I ever decide to go back to it.

I think the game is good. I have two main problems with it.

The missions are mostly bite-sized, with the idea that shorter missions are better for a handheld, I'd assume. This works for a lot of games, but the problem with this idea here is that Assassin's Creed missions need a build-up to make you feel like an assassin. You can't have just the pay-off. There are exceptions in the form of some longer, more elaborate missions and they're the highlights of the game.

Also the character roster is incredibly weak. This really hurts not just the story, which is a jumbled mess, but most importantly it doesn't help the game set the tone for the time period and locale it's trying to present to you, which is a huge part of what Assassin's Creed is all about. Just some bad accents here and there is not enough, and the beatiful New Orleans is kind of wasted without some characters to give life to it.

PS: please keep your Facebook games on Facebook. If you want to fool people by having a "multiplayer" box checked please do it some other way, like learderboards. Anything else, including nothing at all, would be better than this s**t.

After finishing the game and doing side stuff for a bit my save finally got corrupted. I suspect it was either the near functionality or the multiplayer that did it, so I'd recommend staying away from both (you're not losing anything). The game is being transferred to my PC in case Ubisoft decides to patch it, otherwise I'll start from scratch if I ever decide to go back to it.

I think the game is good. I have two main problems with it.

The missions are mostly bite-sized, with the idea that shorter missions are better for a handheld, I'd assume. This works for a lot of games, but the problem with this idea here is that Assassin's Creed missions need a build-up to make you feel like an assassin. You can't have just the pay-off. There are exceptions in the form of some longer, more elaborate missions and they're the highlights of the game.

Also the character roster is incredibly weak. This really hurts not just the story, which is a jumbled mess, but most importantly it doesn't help the game set the tone for the time period and locale it's trying to present to you, which is a huge part of what Assassin's Creed is all about. Just some bad accents here and there is not enough, and the beatiful New Orleans is kind of wasted without some characters to give life to it.

PS: please keep your Facebook games on Facebook. If you want to fool people by having a "multiplayer" box checked please do it some other way, like learderboards. Anything else, including nothing at all, would be better than this s**t.

I think one of the main save corrupt culprits is finishing the game. Seems to be very common =/

Shame as I want to but I hold off because of this

WAIT THIS MEANS I WONT GET ANYMORE NEAR ITEMS FROM YOU? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BibiMaghoo

If you want to fool people by having a "multiplayer" box checked please do it some other way, like learderboards. Anything else, including nothing at all, would be better than this s**t.

While I agree completely, to be fair to them, the game case doesn't mention having any multiplayer mode at all, and clearly states single player, so its not like they are trying to rip people off. If I didn't use gaf I would never have known until playing it.

e_i

Oh finally. I can pick up copy tomorrow, along with Ragnarok Odyssey and NFS Vita. I had preordered at a Gamestop near my work (an hour away), but Hurricane Sandy stopped me from getting it. The GS just got power back a few hours ago.

Thoraxes

Started it finally today, totally get what you guys meant about the music and FPS. I don't mind it terribly, but it took a bit to get used to, especially when it drops below ~20 FPS. Also the way Aveline moves in The Lady persona, I couldn't tell if the framrate was bad or she was running funny for like 30 minutes lol.

I don't think the problem with the music starts with the implementation (however, that is the result), but it seems to me that they straight up did not get enough music written for this game resulting in awkward over-usage of that piece that starts with the bass drone, cello, and timpani lol

It's still a good first try though, imo, and I hope they improve on it to make it a more technically cohesive package the next time around.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Right. Before I forget:

Wolfpack: If you you complete it, you get
jack shit other than a "CONGRATS! YOU FINISHED THIS ROUND OF WOLFPACK!"

Complete horseshit over the blood, sweat, and tears I put into public rounds. Won it twice, and got like 5000+ bonus EXP which is nice but... not worth the hassle.

And I expected more from Ubisoft after they had those mini-cutscenes for the sync-kills if you totally synced up. Nope, nothing there. So disappointing.

Massa

I think one of the main save corrupt culprits is finishing the game. Seems to be very common =/

Shame as I want to but I hold off because of this

WAIT THIS MEANS I WONT GET ANYMORE NEAR ITEMS FROM YOU? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah, sorry. :( Game is out of my Vita already, so much to play and so little storage space!

While I agree completely, to be fair to them, the game case doesn't mention having any multiplayer mode at all, and clearly states single player, so its not like they are trying to rip people off. If I didn't use gaf I would never have known until playing it.

They did advertise it in interviews and such. Regardless, it's a pretty useless addition.

Right. Before I forget:

Wolfpack: If you you complete it, you get
jack shit other than a "CONGRATS! YOU FINISHED THIS ROUND OF WOLFPACK!"

Complete horseshit over the blood, sweat, and tears I put into public rounds. Won it twice, and got like 5000+ bonus EXP which is nice but... not worth the hassle.

And I expected more from Ubisoft after they had those mini-cutscenes for the sync-kills if you totally synced up. Nope, nothing there. So disappointing.

Wrong thread? Wrong thread.

sethcheek

I apologize if this has already been asked/answered.. I couldn't find anything about it.

Do I risk spoiling anything from AC3 if I play this first? I've got a trip coming up that I'd really like to start playing this on, but I won't if it takes anything away from the console experience.

Massa

I apologize if this has already been asked/answered.. I couldn't find anything about it.

Do I risk spoiling anything from AC3 if I play this first? I've got a trip coming up that I'd really like to start playing this on, but I won't if it takes anything away from the console experience.

Not at all.

EGM92

Is this game getting another patch? pretty pissed about trophies being glitched. I'm trying to collect the voodoo dolls, I've done all of them but 1, I know where the guy should be, I can see him on my friends Vita, but he's not there on mine. All the other locations were the same for the voodoo dolls. I've ran through new orleans completely without finding the last guy.

I've shot the guys on the roof with my parasol at ;east 25 times, still no trophy, changed personas outside of missions at least 100 times, still no trophy.

Ubisoft really dropped the ball on this POS.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yah...I'm holding off playing the game until it gets patched. It also seems like (from GameFAQs users) that the save glitch occurs when you've complete collections and/or obtain the costumes that get unlocked when you complete them. Someone didn't even buy the costumes but glitched anyway after unlocking them.

can anyone direct me toward a list of know bugs in this game ? ( especially since i read that there is trophy glitching involved ? )

Top Bottom