• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Origins screenshot leaks, new details (AC4 team, Naval combat, more)

EVH

Didnt the ancient egyptians have like zero naval combat abilities? Heck they didnt even know much more than moving up and down Nile.

Andodalf

Banned
Didnt the ancient egyptians have like zero naval combat abilities? Heck they didnt even know much more than moving up and down Nile.

First off, not really, second off, this almost certainly is much later than Ancient Egypt.

Must miss gaming. Nothing like memory walls and a trip to the 21st century to rip you right out of that 15th century Italy atmosphere. I was always willing to overlook the manufactured home feel of Ubisoft games just because of the settings. Nobody else uses those game settings. But I cant get past the 21st century garbage.

Well that's the story and if you don't like it, you know where the door is matey. It's what makes AC, AC.

RedSwirl

Depends on what "ancient Egypt" means. If during the Greek rule, as seems likely, could get super fun.

If it has Greece than the game is set in the Clssical Antiquity age. Which mean 23rd Dynasty and onwards. The Pyramids would be over a millennia old at minimum by then.

A name in that screenshot ("Khenut") suggests this might be as far back as the 5th dynasty -- something like the 24th or 25th century BC. Basically a millennium before "Ancient Greece" as we knew it existed, but only one or a few centuries after the Pyramids were built.

Certinty

You guys are reading way too much into this boat thing. It's clearly not going to used as the same way as in 4 and Rogue. It'll likely be for mainly transport around the Nile delta and any fighting would be a side feature on a much smaller scale and different style than in 4.

Thank God. Easily the worst part of Black Flag.

Toni

Here's hoping that they really have dramatically redone a lot of the underlying systems and mechanics of Assassin's Creed. Not only does Dishonored wipe the floor with AC in terms of being an assassin simulator, but Witcher 3 and Zelda have really raised the bar when it comes to storytelling and gameplay in an open world, respectively.

Ironically, Assassin's Creed is doomed if it's game design stays too stuck in the past.

Ironically, you missed Horizon Zero Dawn which has a much better protagonist and story telling than both Witcher 3 and Zelda combined in open world design.

It also has better combat, better on the go crafting mechanics, enemy encounter and moment-to-moment combat than both. Its Open World done right.

Its a technological achievement as well. Given how Unity suffered greatly from loading times, fps and subpar image quality, the best you could have done was compare it with Horizon. Which has 20 second load, perfect framerate, and the best graphics on consoles. (even better at 4k & HDR)

It took everything to the next level, and some ubisoft designs along with it.

Am just going off the OP's details but I'm looking forward to another stab at the naval combat.

Just can't bring myself to go back to Black Flag because all of the refinements made in Unity and Syndicate.

I've always been down for Egypt, which doesn't hurt ;p

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
how much you wanna bet that this game ends with your character creating and wearing the first Assassin hooded robe

Assassinating someone named the Crocodile sounds awesome.

Attempt 1#

Toni

I see a Bow (!)

Please Ubisoft do us all a favor and don't bring back the bow mechanics from AC3. Make the bow flow well with sprinting and fast gameplay.

Ironically, you missed Horizon Zero Dawn which has a much better protagonist and story telling than both Witcher 3 and Zelda combined in open world design.

It also has better combat, better on the go crafting mechanics, enemy encounter and moment-to-moment combat than both. Its Open World done right.

Its a technological achievement as well. Given how Unity suffered greatly from loading times, fps and subpar image quality, the best you could have done was compare it with Horizon. Which has 20 second load, perfect framerate, and the best graphics on consoles. (even better at 4k & HDR)

It took everything to the next level, and some ubisoft designs along with it.
Lol. Yeah, Horizon is good, but it felt mostly like a very well-executed version of many of the open world concepts pioneered by many other games (including Ubi's).

In contrast, both The Witcher 3 and BOTW felt like noticeable steps forward in the genre. While the backstory you discover in Horizon is really quite good, a lot of the side content is pretty lackluster, whereas The Witcher 3's world attained a really remarkable level of believability and consistency thanks to the quality of its side content.

I don't like such ports. It would be great if they take the world of AC1 and combine it with modern gameplay, a new story and new missions.
Sounds like those old ds/psp/ps2 ports for games that were on stronger machines, I think they're trying to stray away from that scenario since the switch is pretty strong.

Mifec

You're alone on that one friendo. TW3 annihilates it and every other current gen title in that aspect.

Would be great if they have used this extra development time to improve and tweak the engine to handle larger crowds again, like in Unity (without it running like shit of course) because that really made the game feel a lot more next gen, than other AC games.

Would be great if they have used this extra development time to improve and tweak the engine to handle larger crowds again, like in Unity (without it running like shit of course) because that really made the game feel a lot more next gen, than other AC games.
PS4 Pro boost mode makes a big difference to performance in Unity. Have returned to play it myself over the last week.

Its still glitchy though, with clothes swapping in and out and NPCs dropping from the sky at times, but its not a game killer.

PS4 Pro boost mode makes a big difference to performance in Unity. Have returned to play it myself over the last week.

Its still glitchy though, with clothes swapping in and out and NPCs dropping from the sky at times, but its not a game killer.

Yeah it's definitely much better with the Pro. If they can iron out a lot of the glitches and get more npc's on screen then it should be pretty awesome. I really liked Syndicate although that could have benefitted from more npc's / large crouds too, but I guess they played it safe after the backlash from Unity.

Hopefully moving away from the yearly release has given them the time to push for something like Unity on a technical level again (large crowds) but this time have it run well, with minimal bugs.

Bizzquik

Can we make player choice a narrative thing this time?
Ya know...actual player agency in making decisions...? Please?

Getting tired of Creed protagonists making bad decisions for the sake of advancing the plot. Looking particularly at you, Arno.

Bl@de

I'm curious about the game after they took a year off. Hope they really change some gameplay elements. But naval combat would be great. Black Flag was one of my favourite AC titles.

Ancient Egypt and Greece and im in!

Why does something tell me they are going to try to emualte some of the mechanics of BOTW for the "huge emphasis in exploration" they are saying...

RiZ III

Not only is Origins rumoured to boast an explorable ancient Egypt, players will also apparently be able to go beyond it - possibly even as far as Greece. We were told that boats will return in the game, allowing the player to sail the Mediterranean.

SOLD!!

Top Bottom