• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Shadows: Extended Gameplay Walkthrough | Ubisoft Forward 2024

So just like ghost of tsushima
"Don't worry, we'll just stand here stiff as a board, one at a time as you dispose of each one of us."
3u9bwhk.jpeg

PeteBull

Definitely getting this game lol..... hoping it does well to piss off the snowflakes even more.
Thats the diference between sane ppl and woke libtards, even if we point out obvious flaws/hypocrisy we dont tell other ppl what to do with their hard earned money, if u like game go buy/play it, hell even that limited almost 300$ edition :p
We dont for obvious reason(diversity and woke agenda being top1 priority, not quality of the game), so we dont buy/play it simply.

dEvAnGeL

Have the CE preorder. After this watching this i am not so sure. Will definitely wait for impressions from users after the game is out to decide if i am keeping it.

Having a giant black man just completely destroying the small Japanese men with a spiked club looks really awful. It’s probably the first time I audibly cringed at a game when seeing the ogre of a black man brutally crush the Japanese man’s skull for the finishers.

How does this look any better than if a supposed white man went around crushing African skulls? I know the games media would pretend to be horrified and outraged just like they do for Resident Evil 5.

Between AC Unity and Origins they had something good with graphics, voice and music, Odyssey I really liked but could see the downgrade on Origins, still Cassandra well voiced and it held up well to Origins. Since then though I've not been compelled to buy any AC game and this is perhaps the worst. Any quality of Origins/Unity has been lost.

- Never preorder

- Never preorder - especially if it's a Ubisoft game

- Don't buy Ubisoft games at launch since they're half the price after just a few months.

- Actually, don't buy any samey, trope-y, boring, monotonous, grindy, repetitive and soulless Ubisoft titles

God this looked absolutely soulless and tone-deaf, plus it absolutely gave this "we have GOT at home" vibe...

Ubisoft continues to be one of the safest, most boring and completely unimaginative companies out there

Last edited:

Dunker99

Neo Member
One relatively minor thing that stood out to me (and not in a good way) were the blood splatter effects. Way too over the top, and looked terrible in my opinion. Low framerate bright red sprite filling the screen. Why do studios struggle to get blood effects right?

hidaaan

Neo Member
Bleh, black samurai yasuke will teach these japs the way of honor, lmao

But seriously, it doesn't seem impressive in the slighest
To me it looked pretty impressing, imagine someone who has not played GoT, playing this. What do you think GoT offers better when compared to this? This seems to be giving 2 playstyles: Ninja-like or Guns-blazing. The world looks pretty expansive and theme is very Sakura oriented Japan, which a lot of gamers love.

I'm fairly sure even GoT copied most of the world activities and events from Ubi games 🤣

SJRB

Gold Member
- Never preorder

- Never preorder - especially if it's a Ubisoft game

- Don't buy Ubisoft games at launch since they're half the price after just a few months.

- Actually, don't buy any samey, trope-y, boring, monotonous, grindy, repetitive and soulless Ubisoft titles

God this looked absolutely soulless and tone-deaf, plus it absolutely gave this "we have GOT at home" vibe...

Ubisoft continues to be one of the safest, most boring and completely unimaginative companies out there

Pro-tip if you want to play this game: subscribe to Ubi+ for a month, play through the game until you’re done and unsubscribe.

Will set you back only a couple of bucks.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So just like ghost of tsushima

Only in standoffs.

Ghost will consistantly have 2 or 3 people attack you at the same time, which is why people find the stance switching mid combat so annoying (I remember the complaints) because certain stances where required to even damage higher tier enemies and you had to switch like every other swing on higher difficulties, sheild, spear, sheild, spear, sword, brute etc. It's why bombs and kunai where required to effectively control the flow of combat and keep enemies rooted dealing with that while you engaged the opponents you wanted.

Like it wouldn't be an issue if they only attack you one at a time, but they don't.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Japanese gamers aren't impressed at all if you read the translated comments.

"Even though I didn't go on a trip to France, I experienced discrimination."

"Is this the rumored game where a black bandit who plays samurai in Nippon slaughters Nippon Jin?"

"When is the season for rice planting, cherry blossoms, and persimmons at the same time?"

"It's so scary to beat people to death in large numbers on the streets even though you say you won't tolerate bad behavior. Is he a samurai or something like a demon?"

"Yasuke was never a samurai, he was a servant that stayed in japan for less than 2 years, when his master nobunaga was killed, Yasuke begged to stay alive, later on, he left japan and went to india with the jesuit. Westerners are over glorifying him by calling him the legendary samurai.
And now in this game all the japanes bow down, while he goes around killing.
Why can't we have Musashi Miyamoto as samurai, Ubisoft?"

"Has a game about a black gangster with a Japanese male protagonist been released yet?
Please release it soon, UBI, I want to play."

"A torii is not the entrance to a village. Ubisoft knows less about Japanese culture than Koreans do."

"Thank you for the wonderful video that makes me realize once again how amazing Tsushima was.Thanks also to Sucker PunchWhat is a massacre with a family crest on one's back?Isn't this what bandits who were chased from their territory do, not samurai?"

To Japanese gamers Yasuke doesn't come across as a hero but as a brutish foreigner who breaks the Samurai code by hacking innocent Japanese people to death. Suckerpunch made the right choice in going for a Japanese protagonist who fought Mongol invaders. That's a much better starting point for a noble video game character who kills hundreds of people during the course of the game.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

having come off rise of the ronin recently, the combat here looks super boring. They'd need to go into more depth with the posture thing but it sounds like you just hold a button to stay in an arbitrary stance and it isn't akin to Team Ninja or GoT take on stances.

So the combat is essentially brainless here.

Valhallah burnt me out so much with all it's expansions that I can't seem to enjoy these sort of games anymore.
For once the combat and stealth is exactly like the older games.
Maybe for story and map exploration I'll get this one on a sale

kyussman

Wow,mind blown....was not expecting that level of awesome from this game.......only joking,standard Assassin's Creed game.....just play GoT instead(it's got an actual Japanese guy as the Samurai...I know,racism,am I right,lol).

xrnzaaas

Instead of googling "how to skip Animus segments" people will be googling "how to skip Yasuke segements". Easy guide page you can publish right now and count the click$$$.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

"Even though I didn't go on a trip to France, I experienced discrimination."

"Is this the rumored game where a black bandit who plays samurai in Nippon slaughters Nippon Jin?"

"When is the season for rice planting, cherry blossoms, and persimmons at the same time?"

"It's so scary to beat people to death in large numbers on the streets even though you say you won't tolerate bad behavior. Is he a samurai or something like a demon?"

"Yasuke was never a samurai, he was a servant that stayed in japan for less than 2 years, when his master nobunaga was killed, Yasuke begged to stay alive, later on, he left japan and went to india with the jesuit. Westerners are over glorifying him by calling him the legendary samurai.
And now in this game all the japanes bow down, while he goes around killing.
Why can't we have Musashi Miyamoto as samurai, Ubisoft?"

"Has a game about a black gangster with a Japanese male protagonist been released yet?
Please release it soon, UBI, I want to play."

"A torii is not the entrance to a village. Ubisoft knows less about Japanese culture than Koreans do."

"Thank you for the wonderful video that makes me realize once again how amazing Tsushima was.Thanks also to Sucker PunchWhat is a massacre with a family crest on one's back?Isn't this what bandits who were chased from their territory do, not samurai?"

To Japanese gamers Yasuke doesn't come across as a hero but as a brutish foreigner who breaks the Samurai code by hacking innocent Japanese people to death. Suckerpunch made the right choice in going for a Japanese protagonist who fought Mongol invaders. That's a much better starting point for a noble video game character who kills hundreds of people during the course of the game.

You can forget Ubisoft trying to be sensitive to Japanese culture, or worrying about being racist towards them.

The Japanese are one of the ones you can be bigoted towards, because they’re prosperous and successful.

In the mindset of these people, racism is strictly a one way street that only affects people from oppressed minorities and the poor.

It’s the bigotry of low expectations and is absolutely rancid.

SJRB

Gold Member
You can forget Ubisoft trying to be sensitive to Japanese culture, or worrying about being racist towards them.

The Japanese are one of the ones you can be bigoted towards, because they’re prosperous and successful.

In the mindset of these people, racism is strictly a one way street that only affects people from oppressed minorities and the poor.

It’s the bigotry of low expectations and is absolutely rancid.

The whole thing was already iffy at best, but the moment that fucking hiphop beat started playing it was game over.

Absolutely ridiculous, and honestly quite gross. How does that even make it into the game without 3 people being fired for even suggesting it?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The whole thing was already iffy at best, but the moment that fucking hiphop beat started playing it was game over.

Absolutely ridiculous, and honestly quite gross. How does that even make it into the game without 3 people being fired for even suggesting it?

Because all they see is a black protagonist being proactive and cool. All other considerations towards racial sensitivity or accuracy goes out of the window. Everything is warped through the prism of positive representation for the race they want to champion. Fuck anyone else.

Braag

Huge black guy demolishing japanese samurai with a huge ass mace is hilarious. I'm kinda intrigued and amused just for the absurdity of it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The chitchat between protagonist and npcs that give mission is still rigid as fuck and the models look so last gen.

How the fuck did guerrilla achieved what they achieved with just 200 mill and like 300 devs? Ubisoft is probably using WAY more budget and manpower and they can't even get on par with a 3 years old crossgen game...it's as impressive as it is sad.

Last edited:

Oberstein

"Don't worry, we'll just stand here stiff as a board, one at a time as you dispose of each one of us."
3u9bwhk.jpeg
It's an Ubisoft game, they've been doing the same thing for over 10 years now. This problem comes from AC1, released in 2007.

Nothing has changed.

I still remember the E3 presentation for AC Brotherhood: “don't worry, we've made the enemies more aggressive this time, they'll attack in groups”. What a bunch of buffoons.

geary

I mean......not like Tsushima didn't take anything from AC though.
Lol at people saying this rip-off GoT. They should have reinvented the samurai and ninja way of combat....Oh wait, that would have opened another can of worms....
People would have yelled from the roof that this is not what Japan samurai/ninja atmosphere is. It's a lose-lose situation for Ubisoft no matter what would have been done.

Last edited:

geary

"Stop acting like Black people are so one-dimensional! Now, if you'll excuse me, I gotta add a hip-hop beat to this track".
There are a ton of games which add hip hop music to trailers and showcases...I don't think is correlated with having a black samurai.
They just have shit taste on choosing music for the atmosphere of the game

I will give them this - that female protagonist almost looks attractive. She looks like a dude in most of the artwork, but in-game she actually vaguely resembles an attractive human female so that's something.

I just can't get over the premise here - a buddy cop movie set in 16th-century Japan starring a gender-swapped ninja and a massive black dude.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
This would have been good coming out 5 years ago but there have been, and still have coming out so many of these eastern style Japanese ninja/ samurai games (Ghost of Tsushima, Sekiro, Rise of the Ronin, and even Chinese historical based action adventure games like Black Myth Wukong, coming out soon). I think there were even other new games coming out this year in the same vein that were shown in the Sony SOP and during the Summer Game Fest weekend.

The chitchat between protagonist and npcs that give mission is still rigid as fuck and the models look so last gen.

How the fuck did guerrilla achieved what they achieved with just 200 mill and like 300 devs? Ubisoft is probably using WAY more budget and manpower and they can't even get on par with a 3 years old crossgen game...it's as impressive as it is sad.
It's called talent and I believe most of the veterans left the industry.

SJRB

Gold Member
Lol at people saying this rip-off GoT. They should have reinvented the samurai and ninja way of combat....Oh wait, that would have opened another can of worms....
People would have yelled from the roof that this is not what Japan samurai/ninja atmosphere is. It's a lose-lose situation for Ubisoft no matter what would have been done.

If a studio with literally thousands of developers is unable to deliver a gameplay experience that is at least equal to a game that came out four years ago, then what the hell are they even doing?

This isn't a loss-loss at all, Ubi could've won BIG here if they just had the balls to step away from the super bland and mundane "light attack - heavy attack - special unrealistic superslam attack" button mash trite they've been doing since Origins. They chose to go down this path. Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla, Shadows. There's zero innovation over the years, the combat all looks the same, feels the same.

I saw comments on X along the lines of "I feel like I've played this game already", which is a devastating sentiment. And they're right! Everything about this game feels "been there, done that".

ahtlas7

All the time waiting for Japanese Assassin Creed and this is the shit we get.

Where’s Jade at? Can we get someone decent in charge again?

Toots

Gold Member
Goddamit it looks beautiful.
Is it doable on ps5 ? How much of a downgrade is needed ?
If the retail version graphics stays like this it'll be day one for me.
But there better not be romance between Naoe and Yasuke, she's mine.
rfUWT5c.jpeg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

BTW This is an interesting comment. Here someone commented that these three things aren't seen at the same time.

Cherry blossoms -> late March - End of April
Rice planting -> end of April to late June
Persimmons -> Fall

Ubisoft bothered to hire a BLM supporting expert in classic Japanese literature who knew everything about men having sex with boys and transvestite protagonists , but there was no one around to prevent this gaffe

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
There are a ton of games which add hip hop music to trailers and showcases...I don't think is correlated with having a black samurai.
They just have shit taste on choosing music for the atmosphere of the game
You are right, it’s correlated with having a black person.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Just $200M?

The Launch What GIF by CTV

Shadow’s budget might actually be smaller. Forbidden West took 5 years. I think this will have taken about 4.

Last edited:

Sirolf

Goddamit it looks beautiful.
Is it doable on ps5 ? How much of a downgrade is needed ?
If the retail version graphics stays like this it'll be day one for me.
But there better not be romance between Naoe and Yasuke, she's mine.
rfUWT5c.jpeg
It was a PS5 HUD on the gameplay segment

Top Bottom