• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

Welp. Great start.

The second I took control of my character in the first mission, the controller doesn't work at all. No response to any buttons except the PS button to bring up my XMB. Had to quit the game and relaunch it. Hoping it works the second go round.

Just played that opening Templars sequence.

First off, the graphics are actually pretty nice. The softness of the image is a bit distracting but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The controls also felt quite responsive in comparison to ACIV, running around was quite enjoyable. Didn't really dig the first combat encounter that much but maybe I just need to get used to it.

The setting and atmosphere in the game so far are really hooking me.

Dunan

Spent some more time with the game yesterday -- went into the slums and sewers to find the King of the Beggars -- and, intrusive multiplayer/Initiates/paid-content-upselling aside, am liking this more and more. Paris is just so much more fun to wander around in than all those lifeless Caribbean islands, and I feel like an Assassin again and not a pirate.

Tried my second murder mystery and again solved it in one try. Fun! The Nostradamus poems, on the other hand, have been more confusing than fun. Do you have to be actively tracking one of the poems for the game to let you "solve" it? I had stopped tracking the first one, and then when I started tracking it again, and got close to the solution, the game informed me of the fact aurally.

Come to think of it, this is another thing that this game was wise to bring back. Like in AC2, when you get close to a building that you can climb, the music shifts in just the right way. That game -- whose soundtrack I like the most of all the AC games -- did all those little subtle things right.

Is there a way to disable that annoying main mission icon that's always on the screen? I turned the HUD off to try and take some screenshots but it's always there

Ok just did Sequence 1 Memory 2.

Was kind of dumb how it seemed to want me to use the "crowd" to blend in, but the crowd thins out after the main gate and I always seemed to get spotted. Is there something I'm missing? Ended up just having to climb up the walls around the side of the compound and sneak in that way.

Anyways I think I'm too tired to enjoy this properly, gonna get back in tomorrow when I've had some sleep. Game definitely has potential, I'm excited to see more.

Khayam

Banned
Man, I was finally coming around to this game and thinking of picking it up used (still not giving Ubi my money for it).

But all the impressions on this page have totally killed my interest. Such a shame, Paris seems like a cool place to explore.

I've skipped every AC until Black Flag on PS4, that I enjoyed very much (even though the beginning was meh).

Picked this one because of a good deal on Amazon and for now, it just blows BF out of the water. The game is really beautiful and so city is so alive. Gameplay wise, I find it better than BF. And storywise, I don't know, Ubi still doesn't know how to tell a story so it's on par with their previous work.

Khayam

Banned
Ok just did Sequence 1 Memory 2.

Was kind of dumb how it seemed to want me to use the "crowd" to blend in, but the crowd thins out after the main gate and I always seemed to get spotted. Is there something I'm missing? Ended up just having to climb up the walls around the side of the compound and sneak in that way.

Anyways I think I'm too tired to enjoy this properly, gonna get back in tomorrow when I've had some sleep. Game definitely has potential, I'm excited to see more.

Yeah, you're supposed to do that. I got spotted a few times too but that was because I had no idea where was the door I'm supposed to be looking for :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Some of the changes to parkour are bugging the hell out of me. I feel like Arno much more frequently does things that I'm not expecting when I input something. :\

So far I'm not sure how I feel about the game. It's absolutely gorgeous but the actual streets are insanely rough, I can't believe how bad the NPC popin is, which completely takes me out of the experience down there.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Some of the changes to parkour are bugging the hell out of me. I feel like Arno much more frequently does things that I'm not expecting when I input something. :\

So far I'm not sure how I feel about the game. It's absolutely gorgeous but the actual streets are insanely rough, I can't believe how bad the NPC popin is, which completely takes me out of the experience down there.
Try experimenting, he has a lot of inputs that are instant, tapping R2+X=jump, holding R2+O in confined spaces=vaulting so you won't get stuck, if you're climbing and there's something seemingly out of reach for normal movement, press R2+X to jump upward. There's a lot of nuance in the system that the game doesn't tell you about.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Try experimenting, he has a lot of inputs that are instant, tapping R2+X=jump, holding R2+O in confined spaces=vaulting so you won't get stuck, if you're climbing and there's something seemingly out of reach for normal movement, press R2+X to jump upward. There's a lot of nuance in the system that the game doesn't tell you about.

I'll try to mess around with that, thanks.

I like the addition of being able to get down easily but the rest hasn't clicked for me.

Hystzen

It weird as imo the mission design and bugs came out in last sequence for me. Guards spotting me from miles away and every guard charging at once. Only issue I have parkour wise is jumping back it just never works for me instead jumping to ledge behind me Arno just jumps up to next higher ledge.

Some of the changes to parkour are bugging the hell out of me. I feel like Arno much more frequently does things that I'm not expecting when I input something. :

The popin is so bad. I was under the impression that it only happens once in a while but it's every street all the time. And it's not just NPCS it's buildings and textures too. A damn shame because it really kills the immersion

Game just crashed again in the middle of Sequence 1 Memory 3. of all the problems I read I did not see this one, it's really annoying. That's two hard crashes in 2 hours of play

murgo

Seriously, what the fuck is up with the companion app? For the last 3 weeks I couldn't get it to connect to my Uplay account. It keeps telling me "unable to synchronize". Am I the only one having that problem?

Is there any way to unlock blue chests without using the app? Can I at least disable or remove them from my map?

Game just crashed again in the middle of Sequence 1 Memory 3. of all the problems o read I did not see this one, it's really annoying. That's two hard crashes in 2 hours of play

There is no way to get rid of those chests. You have to play the app to do so. I 100% completed the app and one blue chest glitched and is still on my map lol. Thats weird you are having so many crashes. I think I may have crashed one time on my way to 100% sync.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with the companion app? For the last 3 weeks I couldn't get it to connect to my Uplay account. It keeps telling me "unable to synchronize". Am I the only one having that problem?

When that happened, it usually just worked if i logged out and then logged back in. There were a couple of times where restarting my phone fixed problems too.

Played a bit more. Got my Assassin stuff and cafe. Enjoying it quite a bit.

Wish this thread was a bit more active but I guess that's what happens when I wait this long to play :(

Any suggestions for what skills are best to focus on early on? I'm seeing stealth disguise mentioned a lot

RowdyReverb

Played a bit more. Got my Assassin stuff and cafe. Enjoying it quite a bit.

Wish this thread was a bit more active but I guess that's what happens when I wait this long to play :(

Any suggestions for what skills are best to focus on early on? I'm seeing stealth disguise mentioned a lot
Disguise, Lockpick, and the HP upgrades were what I focused on. Never used poison/stun gas, but I think Berzerk darts + Poison gas could be a great combo to take out a group of soldiers. I got the one-handed weapon mastery and charge and literally never used them successfully, but I didn't focus on combat for my build.

If i try initiates and comeback to the game control doesnt respond annoying as hell.

How I unlock connor outfit?
You unlock Connor outfit via acinitiates.com. Try it on your browser

Trashbat

I'm with you.

There a some minor annoyances but overall, I'm really impressed.

Guys, are you guys playing PS4 version?

Maybe it's just because I'm watching the wife play Black Flag, while alternating between Far Cry 4 and DA:I that the performance issues really stand out to me. The crowd pop-in is terrible and I simply can't forgive that starting a fight in a crowd hammered the frame rate.

I want to like the game because, as per my first post, I'm a huge fan of the series to date.

The abandonment of the modern plot also annoys me. I'm hoping there's going to be more than the odd broadcast from the modern assassins but I expect I'm going to be dissapointed. Miss being able to dig around and learn all about the conspiricies Abstergo have played a part in, 'Those Who Came Before', etc.

what's the consensus on multiplayer/co-op? Personally I wish they'd just abandon it all together and go SP only.

Any Xbox One players looking for co-op? A friend and I are looking to add some players. We've been roaming around getting collectibles, doing co-ops and heists.

GT- Johnny Moses

hydruxo

I don't know what they did but free running feels really bad in this game compared to previous AC entries. It's not smooth and fluid like it was in Black Flag. That's my biggest disappointment with Unity so far, but I do like Arno and the story from what I've played.

Crossing Eden

The abandonment of the modern plot also annoys me. I'm hoping there's going to be more than the odd broadcast from the modern assassins but I expect I'm going to be dissapointed. Miss being able to dig around and learn all about the conspiricies Abstergo have played a part in, 'Those Who Came Before', etc.
Simple hint if you wanna find out the most info about about the modern day story.
Play the Rift missions, they contain the most information about the modern plot and what's the impending threat.

Trashbat

Simple hint if you wanna find out the most info about about the modern day story.
Play the Rift missions, they contain the most information about the modern plot and what's the impending threat.

Thanks for this. I played the first one where you climb the statue of liberty. Then i got the option to go back and free an assassin (tutorial?). That seemed like a rather pointless flag chase. I then did another (non-tutorial?) which was essentially the same with a higher difficulty.

Are we talking about the same things because there didn't seem to be much/any story in these flag chases, but happy to stick with it if it's worth it.

Crossing Eden

Thanks for this. I played the first one where you climb the statue of liberty. Then i got the option to go back and free an assassin (tutorial?). That seemed like a rather pointless flag chase. I then did another (non-tutorial?) which was essentially the same with a higher difficulty.

Are we talking about the same things because there didn't seem to be much/any story in these flag chases, but happy to stick with it if it's worth it.
Files unlock as you complete them, afterwards check the database.

spyder_ur

I don't know what they did but free running feels really bad in this game compared to previous AC entries. It's not smooth and fluid like it was in Black Flag. That's my biggest disappointment with Unity so far, but I do like Arno and the story from what I've played.

I'm on sequence 5 or 6 and I totally agree about the running being weird. The controls feel so much worse to me than BF or even before. I'm not sure of the cause.

I'm not hating it, but I don't love it yet. I also am not a huge fan of the additional systems like upgrading perks and especially armor/weapons.

I'm on sequence 5 or 6 and I totally agree about the running being weird. The controls feel so much worse to me than BF or even before. I'm not sure of the cause.

I'm not hating it, but I don't love it yet. I also am not a huge fan of the additional systems like upgrading perks and especially armor/weapons.

I like the customization options but am worried that ill end up having to grind out money to buy the level 5 items. The level 4 ones are already getting expensive.

Just playing the main story so hopefully the mission difficulty doesn't require 5.

Paganmoon

I've obtained 3 of 3 files from two different chases, both in the Belle Epoque. Will more files update from bettering my score there, or do I have to make more progress in the main story?

There are more Helix Rifts that open up as you go further into the main story, the rest of the files are in those missions, you get 1 unlock per completed rift, some only have 2 unlocks (you have to play twice) and some have 3, not really connected to the score as such, as in, doesn't matter how good you score, you'll only ever unlock 1 file per playthrough of a rift.

murgo

When that happened, it usually just worked if i logged out and then logged back in. There were a couple of times where restarting my phone fixed problems too.

I can't get it to work no matter what I do. I start the app, it tells me it needs to log in to Uplay. I type in my password again, press login and as soon as it gets to the "synchronize" part it keeps telling me it's unable to sync. On both my phone and iPad.

Funny thing is that Unity keeps telling me that the companion app has successfully connected to the game, yet I can't locate Arno or do ANYTHING at all.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just started playing again now that the patches are out and initiates chests are unlocked

Were the graphics touched on at all in the patches? I swear the game looks crisper.

RowdyReverb

I like the customization options but am worried that ill end up having to grind out money to buy the level 5 items. The level 4 ones are already getting expensive.

Just playing the main story so hopefully the mission difficulty doesn't require 5.
If you do the Cafe Theatre missions and gain that income, you'll have enough to deck yourself out in 5-star gear by the time the missions require it. Furthermore, some of the later missions actually unlock some "Legendary" gear. You'll have a powerful character by the end of the game.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

You get a ton of money by doing either of the hardest heists. Plus doing all the cafe missions and whatnot will leave you with a pretty tidy income.

Also, I don't think any missions require gear levels, it's just a (usually unnecessary) recommendation. I've done 5-star missions with a 3-star gear rating, in any case.

Ok so you hold r3 to turn off hud but EVERY time you do that a tip pops up saying "press r3 to show or hide hud" I KNOW THAT!! How do I stop this from showing up??

Also is there a way to check my stats and playtime like there was in black flag?

Crossing Eden

Ok so you hold r3 to turn off hud but EVERY time you do that a tip pops up saying "press r3 to show or hide hud" I KNOW THAT!! How do I stop this from showing up??

Also is there a way to check my stats and playtime like there was in black flag?
Go to the options and you can set the HUD to minimal, I have it so that I only can see the minimap. Also remember to upgrade your cafe, after it's upgraded it can give you a ridiculous amount of money.

Go to the options and you can set the HUD to minimal, I have it so that I only can see the minimap. Also remember to upgrade your cafe, after it's upgraded it can give you a ridiculous amount of money.

Yeah I'm focusing on upgrading it right now.

And I do like having the full HUD for certain things, I just wish I could hide/unhide it without that damn tip popping up every single time.

malfcn

I continue to accept that I suck at following the continuity of this game. But I think I do have a sense of what is going on. Just discovered the 'third' Grand Master. The layers of filth keep unraveling.

I did restart once and was doing okay until my Wife's friends came over and crashed my session.
Then I couldn't follow what was going on. Went to replay those missions and got my bearings, but the inter mission scenes that fill in the gaps are lost.

When it says to killer Mr X and see their plan, it doesn't always show their plan. But you seem to know what it was?

Top Bottom