• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

fernoca

GhaleonEB said:
The demo was pretty high up in the Live charts; TONS of people downloaded it. In the past, when the demo was good it has led to strong sales for the game upon release. Crackdown, Bioshock, Lost Planet - it's a long freaking list.
Now that you mention it..
  • The demo debuted at #8
  • The game debuted at #8
  • The demo dissapeared from the Top 10 the following week

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm curious to see how Little Big Planet affects system sales for the PS3.

THAT is going to be an epic NPD.

Jokeropia said:
I was kinda looking for a real answer rather than a poor joke, but I'm not surprised.

Why don't you prove that most gamers think the Wii has better games?
I think Metacritic is a great method of proof, because most of the reviews are done by gamers. It's pretty hard to find out any other way.
You do a poll on GAF and all you're gonna say is, "so Gaf represents all gamers then?" and the cycle will repeat.

Just to contrast Tales of Vesperia's sales against the original Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube:

Tales of Vesperia < 111.2K
Tales of Symphonia 118,507 (July 2004) - good enough for 10th place

The Gamecube's install base at the time was slightly smaller at only 7.67 million. It also had more of the initial reporting period to sell (July 13th vs. August 26th).

Cheez-It

Plinko said:

The GS manager conf. thread discusses some of the premade levels being quite difficult. I'm guessing it will see sales in the vein of a strong upstream title; big first month(s) followed by a steep cliff. I sincerely doubt it will convert many downstream users to the PS3, or will have much of an effect on PS3 sales at all (although how will you try to differentiate this, given the traditional busier months?).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Drinky Crow said:
oh, i been real banned before. a couple mods don't take kindly to mean-spirited joshin' about pro-wrestling, or lousy multiplat games they're invested in, or lookin' down upon garden state the movie.
Two out of three ain't bad! Garden State sucked.

Jokeropia said:
Wii Madden was outsold by PS3 Madden ~3 to 1 in it's first month, but tied it in the next month. It had longer legs than the other versions. (I still don't expect 09 Wii to compete with the HD versions in overall sales.)

Did it ever catch up? I'm guessing no. And it won't this year either.

Let's be realistic, Madden is not in high demand on Wii.

Darkman M

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Just to contrast Tales of Vesperia's sales against the original Tales of Symphonia on Gamecube:

Tales of Vesperia < 111.2K
Tales of Symphonia 118,507 (July 2004) - good enough for 10th place

The Gamecube's install base at the time was slightly smaller at only 7.67 million. It also had more of the initial reporting period to sell (July 13th vs. August 26th).

I thought tales would show up on thew next NPD, since it was released the last week of august.

gtj1092

Me earlier in the thread

This is going to be a great PR month. MS can talk about becoming the home for madden and being the number 1 HD console. Sony can bring back the good ole PS family talk. Sony can then add all of their versions of madden together and claim to remain the home of madden. I can't wait

One down, one to go.

PS3 Posts Strong Sales; PS3 Software Sales Up 92 Percent Year-Over-Year

Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales Top 582,533

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) continued to generate impressive sales in August 2008, with 185,353 hardware units sold. From January to August 2008, more than 2 million PS3s have been sold in the U.S., representing a year-to-date hardware sales growth of more than 92%. Software sales were also strong for PS3, with 1.6 million units sold, representing a year-over-year growth of 92%.

Electronic Arts Sports’ Madden NFL 09 proved to be a hot seller on PlayStation platforms in August, with more than 1.1 million copies purchased by PlayStation customers, not including the Madden NFL 09 ® (PlayStation® Portable) Entertainment Pack. 643,000 units of the popular sports title were sold for PS3 alone, a 33% higher attach rate than Xbox 360 and representing an increase of 90% year-over-year when compared to Madden NFL 08 sales for PS3 in August 2007.

Following its launch on July 29, more than 263K copies of the weapon-based fighting game Soulcalibur IV were sold for PS3 in July and August, a 38% higher attach rate than Xbox 360.

Fueled by enthusiasm for the Madden NFL 09 PSP Entertainment Pack, 253,012 PSP hardware units were sold. This represents a year-over-year growth of 67%.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Relaxed Muscle said:
Seriously, people expect a big jump of PS3 hardware sales for LBP?....

Some do--the fan base for that game is already at rabid defensive levels.

I don't see the game doing extremely well because of the depth of the customization, but we'll see.

I agree with the thought that it will probably kill the "wait until ___________" fanboys. I'll miss that.

Threi

notag
Relaxed Muscle said:
Unlike Wii, PS3 can change its market perception/mindshare on the drop of a coin, whip up the casuals, and ride the unicorn on the rainbow to victory.

Everything we have in the moment:

Top10:
01.) 360 MADDEN NFL 09 1.000.000 [1.000.000]
02.) PS3 MADDEN NFL 09 643.000 [643.000]
03.) PS2 MADDEN NFL 09 424.500 [424.500]
04.) WII WII FIT 394.900 [1.827.900]
05.) WII MARIO KART 328.700 [2.737.700]
06.) WII WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 200.200 [6.608.700]
07.) 360 SOUL CALIBUR IV 174.000 [392.900]
08.) 360 TOO HUMAN 168.200 [168.200]
09.) WII MADDEN NFL 09 115.800 [115.800]
10.) NDS GUITAR HERO: ON TOUR 111.200 [843.200]
-
xx.) PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV 107.200 [263.000]
xx.) PSP MADDEN NFL 09 32.500 [32.500]

All Format:
Madden NFL 09: 2.300.000 [84.200 NDS + XBX]
Soul Calibur IV: 281.200
GTA IV: 89.000

Plinko said:

This is going to be october you know. LBP has a chance of not even making the top 10 under rock band for various systems, guitar hero for various systems, NBA games for various systems, the wii regulars, and various others releasing the same month.

Sales bumps will likely be caused by the lead-up to the holiday season.

fernoca

Plinko said:

I hope that word of mouth helps it..because Sony hasn't done anything.. and considering it's a new franchise, TV ads/teasers should be popping everywhere by now if they want to get the message out....yet it seems that they are trying to sell it to current fans/people interested..with Naruko skins, Kratos skin..references to Killzone..all in all, references to PS3 games, that PS3 gamers are looking forward....and hope they tell everyone..or buy everyone a copy.

Let the word out!

Jokeropia

dabookerman said:
Why don't you prove that most gamers think the Wii has better games?
I never made such a claim to begin with, but if I had to try then the simplest approach would be to just use the dictionary definition of gamer. Again though, I don't like making sweeping statements about other people's opinions.
dabookerman said:
You do a poll on GAF and all you're gonna say is, "so Gaf represents all gamers then" and the cycle will repeat.
Do you remember which games that won GAF GOTY in 2006 and 2007?

jimbo

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
That might be the NPD that finally kills "Wait until _____."

I will miss the laughs.

With FFXIII coming to the 360, yeah hopefully it will be.

wait for Gran Turismo? :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
Relaxed Muscle said:
Its bundled at a great price in Europe. It wont appear in NPD< but it will be a good boost worldwide.

Didn't expect: Too Humans sales to be so low, PS3:360 Madden ratio to be so close (was expecting a little closer to 2:1), 360/PS3 sales to be so low, and Wii numbers to be so low. Sony will definitely be cutting the price of the PS3 this holiday season.

Plinko

SIP YEK NOD said:
This is going to be october you know. LBP has a chance of not even making the top 10 under rock band for various systems, guitar hero for various systems, NBA games for various systems, the wii regulars, and various others releasing the same month.

Just in case people weren't clear--

I'm looking forward to the meltdowns. I have no expectation of the game moving systems.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Did it ever catch up? I'm guessing no. And it won't this year either.

Let's be realistic, Madden is not in high demand on Wii.

Oh, not at all but we do have to view a lot of Wii titles in a different light, a good majority are slow burners, which is the complete opposite to most 360 titles. The first month's sales don't paint a big enough picture.

Grecco

SIP YEK NOD said:

If LBP does not make the top 10 ill be shocked and it will be a nuclear npd. Having said that. Its going to be tough with 9 spots for 12-15 mega games that month.

gtj1092 said:
Me earlier in the thread

One down, one to go.

You are using Sony PR to proove your point?....

Unlike Wii, PS3 can change its market perception/mindshare on the drop of a coin, whip up the casuals, and ride the unicorn on the rainbow to victory.

I think it's really a nice title for both casual and gamer audience, but it's not a game for:"OH MY GOD!! I NEED THAT 400$ CONSOLE!!" both gamer and casual reaction...

d+pad

Brak said:
I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but is it an indication that Wii shortages are over at least temporarily until the run up to Christmas?

Which starts, what, next month?

Sorry, who would buy this game for the wii when you see this ugly laughing primate on the cover? This is terrible! Anyone seen tv spots for the wii version? Think the problem is there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
to those proclaiming that hd gaming has "lost" need i remind you that gta iv dlc isn't even out yet. i know "dlc" is a strange foreign concept to you guys but come on

CowGirl

Terrible numbers for Too Human.

There is no way it is going to make back its development cost.

Little chance of seeing a conclusion to the trilogy now :(

Dirtbag

Plinko said:

That's the question. I know LBP may have sold me personally a PS3. Intially I figured LBP would bomb in sales, but it seems Sony is determined to see it through. I think it has a real chance of selling some copies. I'm expecting a bioshock like show stopper in sales (in software). I doubt this thing moves hardware... though Resistance 2 will.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Are you being serious?

So explain to me, what do you honestly think the sales of WiiPlay would be had the game been a near full retail release without an accessory attached?

WITH a controller, yes, the price doesn't seem too steep.

When I bought WiiPlay, it was the SAME price at the time as a controller on it's own. I constantly see it here for only $5 dollars more.

Logically even for $10, people are going to take the bundle. So again, no one is buying WiiPlay for the game itself. They are buying an accessory bundle. If someone walks into a store and sees a Controller for $40 and then they see the SAME controller for $50 with a game, of COURSE they're going to buy the bundle.

What game is bundled with it is pretty much irrelevant.

Unless the game isn't any good. Your logic is really--well, wrong. Nobody would spend extra money unless they think what they're buying is worth the extra money. In other words, yes, they are 100% buying the game for the game.

It's a $10 game, and it's selling incredibly well. Bundling it with a controller that people are likely to buy anyway is just a great way to keep it on retail shelves and get free attention for it. What's so hard to understand about that? Do we really have to go through this every month?

Paracelsus

Count Dookkake said:
Do those have the same messianic pull for the fanboys? I thought LBP was the one.

LBP is some kind of "idealistic" messiah.

GT5 and GoW3 will be two beast instead, which will move both sw and hw for a month each, but you know, they're so far away they don't even exist.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
ViperVisor said:
GetYoPopcornReady.gif
I am quoting it because I am sick of the Michael Jackson pop corn gif. This one is more appealing.

Top Bottom