• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

hamchan

Is that because it is digital only a Nintendo (or console?) platform?

Because. Digital only is a bit of a meh, who cares from me.

Yes, it's because it's a Nintendo console. I actually really like digital on PSN and Steam.

Jintor

If I'm going to start digitally downloading these larger time investment games I want a fucking assurance that I can play it even if I damage my portable hardware, trade up, etc. So long as the software's tied to the hardware, everything sucks.

Omikron

If I'm going to start digitally downloading these larger time investment games I want a fucking assurance that I can play it even if I damage my portable hardware, trade up, etc. So long as the software's tied to the hardware, everything sucks.

But what is the difference between that and a console game that is tied to a console? Too bad if you scratch that disc etc.

Is that because it is digital only a Nintendo (or console?) platform?

Because. Digital only is a bit of a meh, who cares from me.

While I prefer physical copies where possible I deal with digital where I have to. The issue is that I value digital games less than physical ones. If they price it at like $30 I'd be more receptive of digital only, but it's more than likely going to be at least $50, which is outside my price tolerance.

Omikron

I can share games with other people without giving them my whole console.

Fair, but wasn't the points brought up by Jint I guess.

That said, how often do people do that these days?

While I prefer physical copies where possible I deal with digital where I have to. The issue is that I value digital games less than physical ones. If they price it at like $30 I'd be more receptive of digital only, but it's more than likely going to be at least $50, which is outside my price tolerance.

I agree with that.

Jintor

But what is the difference between that and a console game that is tied to a console? Too bad if you scratch that disc etc.

I'm far less likely to be flinging a console disc around than I am to be taking a portable game system overseas/with me when I am travelling from place to place? I'm the kind of person who has accidentally dropped an SP out a window before. I break stuff and lose stuff on trains.

On a seperate note, Nintendo has an aversion to pricing their digital stuff below retail parity.

Jintor

I strongly suspect it was a choice between releasing the game digitally or not releasing it at all.

Seems likely. I wonder how badly the bottom line is on retail for AA. Of course, by leaving it to the eShop, seems like they'll reducing the potential market for new entrants to the franchise

Would you prefer nothing?!

Considering how unlikely it is that it'll ever reach my price threshold, it might as well be nothing. They could still surprise me, and I'd love them to, but I don't see it happening. I suppose though that there is some precedent for relatively cheap eShop games from Capcom in the 3DS Resident Evil titles, but I don't know how the retail release/digital only dynamic might change that (e: just looked it up again and Revelaitons is actually $40, which is maybe still just a tad over. Had it in my head that it was $30 for some reason).

I suppose it's great news for everyone else, though.

Jintor

Would you prefer nothing?!

Glad we are getting the game at all after the whole AAI2 affair.

Perfect example of a game company doing something so bad any tiny effort afterwards is treated as mana from heaven

well, not really that bad, and not so much with the mana but you know what I mean

I mean, it's the equivalent of "SIMS 4 WILL HAVE SINGLE PLAYER"

Clipper

I'm happy that AA5 is getting a digital release. It means it's cheaper for me as I don't have to pay shipping from the States. It does suck a bit that there will only be a digital release locally, but perhaps it will be cheaper than a physically released game after all. There is no need for them to maintain parity with the physical version of the game, as the other dual-launched games need to do, so this could work out in everyone's favour.

And yeah, if this does well digitally, then maybe we will get AAI2 as well. It's clear that Capcom believes that a physical release of an English AAI2 is not cost effective, but this experiment will show whether a digital-only release might work.

Yes, there are reasons to prefer a physical version of the game, but don't give up just on that front. The big question here might very well be whether you'd prefer the digital version, or none at all...

hamchan

Of course I'll buy and play AA5 day one. I just won't be happy that I had to go the Nintendo Eshop route. Hopefully a $10 iOS version comes out like 6 months later.

Kritz

Banned
kinda like everyone's stance of mass effect 3 / battlefield 3

fuck origin, but fuck if I'm not playing those games because I have integrity. Fuck integrity!

Then I played mass effect 3 and battlefield 3 and got what I deserved I guess.

Shaneus

ADD/ADHD is a little different. The right medication can clear the mind and allow somewhat straighter train of thought. Whatever comorbid disorders I have, if any, can affect what medication is given and such.

Obviously the other numerous things that are wrong with me will take a much longer time to fix, but at least one thing should be able to get out of the way rather quickly. If the anxiety could fuck right off, I might slightly resemble a normal human being.
Yup. Biggest thing is unlearning all the little mind hacks you came up with to work around the deficiencies that comes with ADHD. I still have heaps that I need to overcome, but for the things I never really got over/around (anxiety, both social and otherwise, for one) were solved pretty much straight away once I started medication.

PS. Slept for around 12 hours last night, and been dozing on and off since I woke up today. Fuck being sick.

I guess my body needed it, but still... fuck it.

Kritz

Banned
I have a friend who might be interested... but I'll hold off on asking for it 'til I ask him and see if he has the money now.
(But don't hold off on letting go on it because of my pseudo-interest. It's a very slim chance he'll say yes since he's had multiple ways to get in now that he's held off on)

Perfect example of a game company doing something so bad any tiny effort afterwards is treated as mana from heaven

well, not really that bad, and not so much with the mana but you know what I mean

I mean, it's the equivalent of "SIMS 4 WILL HAVE SINGLE PLAYER"
I don't want to be rude but who is saying that? The vast majority of the thread is butthurt fans who are fucking outraged that Capcom don't deliver it to their door tomorrow and kiss them on the cheek.

In the AAI2 threads people were begging for a DD release. Begging. Now Capcom listen to Sven and say okay, the new game can be put up on DD since the 3DS store isn't a fucking piece of shit like it was when AAI2 came out.

After the XCOM re-reveal thread I am so fed up with gamer outrage, it has gone over the top lately. Be outraged at unfair shit. The Last Light thing is certainly on the line of being in poor taste but I can accept it due to the situation with the previous game, the context of the DLC mode AND the messy life of the game.

AA5 being released on DD is the equivalent of a foreign movie not having a localised DVD/Blu Ray release as it is a niche series that wouldn't cover the production costs of getting it into that market in physical form.

It seems the complaint is price. Which make it pretty obvious to me why Capcom doesn't have any faith in it selling at retail since everyone will wait for a $20 price point anyway which means Capcom will lose money.

Looks like a reasonable sale going on here: http://www.mightyape.com.au/sales/3826/3-DAYS-ONLY-PC-Game-Price-Smash/Games/PC-Games/?nt=1

I'm tempted to get digital Far Cry 3 for $19.
$24 including postage, no email codes from Mighty Ape.

Of course I'll buy and play AA5 day one. I just won't be happy that I had to go the Nintendo Eshop route. Hopefully a $10 iOS version comes out like 6 months later.

AA6 will be out day one on JPN 3DS/iOS with a DD release outside if AA5 releases. Mark my words.

People outside of Japan didn't buy enough retail copies of the AA franchise. It is that simple.

Video game companies like to make money to survive.

Danoss

Yup. Biggest thing is unlearning all the little mind hacks you came up with to work around the deficiencies that comes with ADHD. I still have heaps that I need to overcome, but for the things I never really got over/around (anxiety, both social and otherwise, for one) were solved pretty much straight away once I started medication.

PS. Slept for around 12 hours last night, and been dozing on and off since I woke up today. Fuck being sick.

I guess my body needed it, but still... fuck it.

Yeah, I'm aware of a few things I do just to work around the poor memory (didn't even know that was a related thing for ages), I'm sure there's more that I'm not aware of for other aspects. If meds can alleviate the anxiety as well, that would be amazing. Currently my anxiety has me thinking I've done something drastic and offended a friend and they'll never talk to me ever again and spiraling into worse thoughts. I'll apologise for whatever and my friend will tell me she doesn't know what the fuck I'm talking about, that I'm fine. It's awful.

I hope you're feeling better soon man, being sick really sucks. As long as the sleep is good, it's not as bad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Guacamelee! is so great, if a cruel reminder how awesome Metroid is and how lame Nintendo is for ditching 2D formula since Zero Mission.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I have the option to pass on my 3-day PAX pass to someone else since I've been selected as an Enforcer and won't require it.

Is anyone interested?

I'm interested. How much are you willing to sell it for? Not even sure what the original price was tbh.:)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
$115, you can have it for 90 bucks.
$25 Ausgaf discount
! I'll definitely take it after I consult with my mum and.. my grandparents first. Because I'm likely going to be staying over at their place during PAX 2013.:) (if I take it) will send you a PM about it as soon as I can (out at uni atm).

Shaneus

Yeah, I'm aware of a few things I do just to work around the poor memory (didn't even know that was a related thing for ages), I'm sure there's more that I'm not aware of for other aspects. If meds can alleviate the anxiety as well, that would be amazing. Currently my anxiety has me thinking I've done something drastic and offended a friend and they'll never talk to me ever again and spiraling into worse thoughts. I'll apologise for whatever and my friend will tell me she doesn't know what the fuck I'm talking about, that I'm fine. It's awful.
Can almost guarantee it'll help in that regard. Don't want to get your hopes up though. The main thing it does, is slow your mind down so rather than being able to see hundreds of (even if they are unrealistic) possibilities at a surface level, you can only see (relatively) few but can actually contemplate them seriously... if that makes sense. So anything you can see is bullshit (such as overanalysing what your friend thinks about something you've said) you can either a) dismiss it (as in, if it's an issue they'll bring it up) or b) actually talk about it with them right away (rather than following that path of overanalysing, but overanalysing the NEXT step, which is what they'll say if you bring it up with them). Last one is important, because it's that rabbit hole most of us seem to go down. Better to know for better or worse than to not know at all, IMO.

I hope you're feeling better soon man, being sick really sucks. As long as the sleep is good, it's not as bad.
Cheers! It's not horrible, but I was right over being tired *all the time*. But I think that was because I had the heater on. When the temperature's *too* comfortable, I get lethargic very quickly. It's off now, the temperature's fine (if a little chilly) and I'm wide awake (but yawning... not to the point of wanting a nap, though).

It's only a cold (or possibly hayfever/allergies), so hopefully I'll be over it in a day or two :)

PS. Guys, Daft Punk full album is up for streaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqLPmgd10wg

It's interesting, I'll give them that. Highlights include Fragments of Time, Giorgio by Moroder and Touch.

Top Bottom