• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

It seems the complaint is price. Which make it pretty obvious to me why Capcom doesn't have any faith in it selling at retail since everyone will wait for a $20 price point anyway which means Capcom will lose money..

As one of the people whose primary concern regarding the DD only release is price, blow me. I'd've been happy to pay whatever percentage of the RRP JB were asking day one, it's simply a difference in how I value physical items vs digital ones. Just like I probably wouldn't pay $30 for a download of the Ace Attorney movie but gladly dropped that on the DVD at release.

Fair enough if Capcom don't think a physical release is viable, but that shouldn't make those of us that're disappointed or uninterested in the value proposition of digital copies of retail games (a more general issue) targets of "well you whinged for it but you never would've supported it anyway."

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Do we know anything about what is going to be at PAX Aus?

Fat people. Body odour. Poorly dressed while people in costumes. No awesomely dressed asian girls showing too much skin. Panels of boredom. Boring opening from the guy who put out the cave... wasn't that game just great. Questionable boring as fuck games with long ass queues. Smells of disgust and disappointment.

Should be a good 3 days.

Gazunta

Do we know anything about what is going to be at PAX Aus?

I'll be there! You'll be there! All the cool kids of AusGAF will be there! That's all that you need to know!

I'll be wearing the Presidog costume.

Edit:

Fuck, truth be told, I'm just thrilled to be going to a convention and not be working. I think that will be the first time ever.

markot

Banned
TonyPerkinsE3AdventureBegins.gif

haha

Shaneus

I'll be there! You'll be there! All the cool kids of AusGAF will be there! That's all that you need to know!

I'll be wearing the Presidog costume.

Edit:

Fuck, truth be told, I'm just thrilled to be going to a convention and not be working. I think that will be the first time ever.
If you're not wearing a plant on your head, I'll be very disappointed.

Also, not working? Fucking hell. Guess you're -1 sale then.

As one of the people whose primary concern regarding the DD only release is price, blow me. I'd've been happy to pay whatever percentage of the RRP JB were asking day one, it's simply a difference in how I value physical items vs digital ones. Just like I probably wouldn't pay $30 for a download of the Ace Attorney movie but gladly dropped that on the DVD at release.

Fair enough if Capcom don't think a physical release is viable, but that shouldn't make those of us that're disappointed or uninterested in the value proposition of digital copies of retail games (a more general issue) targets of "well you whinged for it but you never would've supported it anyway."
Yeah that was poor choice of words on my part, rather than "everyone" I meant "majority of people" sorry.

The physical item market are the ones hurt by the increasingly profit improving DD service. Unfortunately DD will become the norm and physical goods in a lot of product markets will become niche, means good things for business but not for collectors (and some consumers when it is in relation to competition adverse markets like the eStore).

It is very obvious that a physical release would be better for me, I buy games when they are low low price and so far it is hard to see big discounts on the eStore (at least to the degree of PSN/Steam/XBL).

My beef is mainly with people complaining for the sake of it rather than those who are obviously pushed out of the target market such as yourself. The XCOM thread was what broke my back more than anything and resulted in my lashing out.

Schedule page is STILL blank.

I'll trawl the twitter when I get home but I remember several panels being announced.

Also EatChildren will be there! I assume Vook too.

jambo

The PAX Australia Facebook page has been posting about panels and attendees for a while now, but not updating the site.

Panels so far, more to be added:
  • Ron Gilbert keynote on Friday
  • Jeff Cannata (Totally Rad Show, Weekend Confirmed)
  • "Fallout: Lanius" fan film screening
  • IGN Australia live Pubcast
  • Burnie Burns (Rooster Teeth, Red vs. Blue)
  • Gus Sorola (Rooster Teeth)
  • Jack Pattillo (Rooster Teeth, Achievement Hunter)
  • "Indie Publishing Down Under" panel (Tony Reed, Phil Larsen, John Passfield, Morgan Jaffit, Matt Hall)
  • "Chiptunes: Past, Present and Future" panel (Team SoundBytes, cTrix, Dot.AY, Derris-Kharlan)
  • "Games Can Be Anything" panel (Mark Serrels, Dan Toose, Epona Schweer, Trent Kusters, Chris Wright, Martin Slater, Morgan Lean)
  • "Gaming and Anime: A Cultural Crossover" panel (Daniel Chlebowczyk, Jason O'Callaghan, Bradley Jolly, Kwenton Bellette, Tristan Jones, Nathan Cocks)
  • "The Australian eSports Federation: Let's Make It Happen" panel (Zorine Te, Nick Vanzetti, Lloyd Smith, PJ Russell)
  • "Cos We Can: How To Get Involved In Cosplay" panel (Kristy Sculler, Sylvester Ip, Claire Costigan, Alyssea Nicole, Christine Busby)
  • "State of Play: Competitive Gaming and eSports in Australia" panel (Daniel Chlebowczyk, Nick Vanzetti, Alex Walker, Jessica Rozema, Mark West, Derek Reball)

Show floor:
  • Nintendo
  • Antichamber
  • Black Annex
  • Duet
  • Fractured Soul
  • InFlux
  • MacGuffin's Curse
  • Indie Pavilion with 28 local indie game devs
  • Wizards of the Coast sponsoring Tabletop Area

markot

Banned
"The Australian eSports Federation: Let's Make It Happen" panel (Zorine Te, Nick Vanzetti, Lloyd Smith, PJ Russell)

Boo these people.

Omikron

Fat people. Body odour. Poorly dressed while people in costumes. No awesomely dressed asian girls showing too much skin. Panels of boredom. Boring opening from the guy who put out the cave... wasn't that game just great. Questionable boring as fuck games with long ass queues. Smells of disgust and disappointment.

Should be a good 3 days.

Beers with the old men / cynics?

Gazunta

If you're not wearing a plant on your head, I'll be very disappointed.

Also, not working? Fucking hell. Guess you're -1 sale then.

Hahaha. I'll take some books down. Or you can always buy through the online store :p

I'll check out the panel that old man Serrels is on, any PA-related panels and just spend my days walking aimlessly around the show floor seeing what's cool. This will probably mean I spend most of my time annoying the indie game showcase folk and buying a fuckton of PA books. There's apparently a bit of a retrogaming area and panels in store too which should be neat.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wow at that pax list.

I have no idea what any of that shit is or who those people are.

Might be 2 names I recognise and that's it.

I've made a huge mistake.

In reality I'm pretty much going to catch up with all the ausgaffers heading down. Hopefully there's highly dinners with the days reflections and booze to be had. That's probably more interesting than anything announced thus far.

jambo

That's only the list so far. There will be more panels and floor stuff announced over the next 2 months.

They need enough stuff to fill 3 days remember.

Not to be cruel but...

that panel list sounds like an IGDA drinks get-together got hammered and went home with Supanova Gold Coast, waking up the next morning with a feeling of euphoria, regret and then anxiety as it realised it hadn't used the one condom it kept in its wallet 'just in case' before crushing some RU486 into Supanova's cornflakes.

The social aspect will hopefully make up for the panels. I'm sure an IGN AU podcast will be a great substitute for a live Bombcast.

/whatever this post is saying

lexi

Banned
Not to be cruel but...

that panel list sounds like an IGDA drinks get-together got hammered and went home with Supanova Gold Coast, waking up the next morning with a feeling of euphoria, regret and then anxiety as it realised it hadn't used the one condom it kept in its wallet 'just in case' before crushing some RU486 into Supanova's cornflakes.

That was really specific.

Axiom

I kind of got the 3 day PAX tickets based purely on the fact it's PAX and American's made it sound amazing.

I have no idea what I'm going to do there and none of those panels interest me :-(

Guess I'll have to be social. May I not end up cornered by the worst nerds like I was at Lords of Time (I am going to introduce myself by complaining about homosexual lizards in Doctor Who) and Supanova (hi stranger, here's my stalker cam of Barbara Eden's feet).

Shaneus

Soul Hackers for US 3DS for $29 posted
Persona 4 Golden for Vita for $27 posted

Buy another copy Shaneus!
Shaneus: http://m.play-asia.com/Persona_4_Golden/paOS-13-71-vy-49-en-70-4q5j.html on sale.

has your copy rocked up yet. I almost put an order through the other day for a game but your delays put me off
Fuck you both. No, still hasn't fucking arrived yet. Fucking frustrating for a game I never really wanted in the first place. Ordered 9th April.

Deeku

Fuck you both. No, still hasn't fucking arrived yet. Fucking frustrating for a game I never really wanted in the first place. Ordered 9th April.
that's pretty long even by p.a standards. somethin is up

and damn coulda saved some money on soul hackers:/

Shaneus

Surely if it's been a month you can have a whinge about it?
It had been three weeks when I sent an email to PA, and they said that when there are delays it can be 4-6 weeks :/

Why do you care if you don't even want it!
Shut up, you! Just shut up and enjoy your free copy of SSX.

Ask for a refund on the old order and order a new copy with the new deal! Win Win!
You know you replied to the same post of mine twice in two different posts? You're a weird guy.

Hey Death Jnr you cheap basterd, Injustice: Gods Among Us on 360/PS3 will be $41.89 posted when the prices update at 6:30pm VIC time.

$21.69 posted for Aliens Colonial Marines on 360/PS3 already lol
SUPER SEGA BOMBA FUCK YOU GEARBOX YOU SCAMMY FUCKS

Postage is usually 3-5 days as they post from SA.

Shut up, you! Just shut up and enjoy your free copy of SSX.

Hey I sent it to you but it got lost in the mail as it was redirected back to me!

Nedjoe

Neo Member
I've been out of the video game loop for awhile and am thinking about getting a 3ds. Is it best to get one from the US or from here? Can you still go online and purchase games?

Ha ha ha, I just looked on the eShop again. Wherever I got the $40 eShop price for Revelaitons from (Vooks?) was wrong, it's actually $49.95. That's with a previous release at retail outlets to support a lower digital reissue price.

Ace Attorney 5 is going to be a joke.

Danoss

Can almost guarantee it'll help in that regard. Don't want to get your hopes up though. The main thing it does, is slow your mind down so rather than being able to see hundreds of (even if they are unrealistic) possibilities at a surface level, you can only see (relatively) few but can actually contemplate them seriously... if that makes sense. So anything you can see is bullshit (such as overanalysing what your friend thinks about something you've said) you can either a) dismiss it (as in, if it's an issue they'll bring it up) or b) actually talk about it with them right away (rather than following that path of overanalysing, but overanalysing the NEXT step, which is what they'll say if you bring it up with them). Last one is important, because it's that rabbit hole most of us seem to go down. Better to know for better or worse than to not know at all, IMO.

Cool, makes sense. That rabbit hole can go rather deep and may take days to crawl out of. There's always the problem of eventually getting over it and then realising how foolish you've been and if unable to shrug it off, then just tumbling into a pit of depression immediately after. The worst is when the severe anxiety hits if the depression is already pretty bad, that's dangerous territory.

If all that can be avoided, that's great. Just the slowing down of thoughts would help. It would give enough time to catch one and call it out on its bullshit because they're all built on irrationality and false perception. It just feels like it's completely true once that descent begins and it's nigh impossible to think otherwise, it's a terrible ride that has to be waited out until it comes to a stop.

It's only a cold (or possibly hayfever/allergies), so hopefully I'll be over it in a day or two :)

Glad to hear it.

BtB staff sure is funny:

As you read this message, we will already have began a weeklong celebration in your honour. It is customers like yourself that help a new website like us keep fed and caffeinated. And for that, we thank you.

Very shortly we will carefully prepare your package for the voyage to your chosen address. We conduct the packaging process in a candle lit room, as for us, the despatching of your order is a respected ritual - we often sing your name during this process.
From there, many staff members here will come for the journey to the post office to hand deliver your order.

After this is complete, it is certainly not uncommon to see us dancing in the post office car park to celebrate the start of the final part of your order's journey. Unfortunately we cannot continue dancing for too long, as we have been previously removed from the premises.

When all our celebrations cease, the pain of not seeing you again soon settles in however. We begin to long for another order from you. We hope you won't become another "So what ever happened to ...?"

Anyway, thank you again. We will patiently wait until you choose to come back to us.
By the way, your order number is:

Is today the official Brisbane fedoras and furries meet up? I've seen several little groups of dudes in fedoras and giant wolf costumes totaling maybe 30-40 people.

Rahk

I've been out of the video game loop for awhile and am thinking about getting a 3ds. Is it best to get one from the US or from here? Can you still go online and purchase games?
I've been happy with my US 3DS XL. You can use an Australian credit card on the eShop if you select Canada as your region, although there's a 5% tax or something. Still cheaper than whatever you'd pay on the Australian store.

Shaneus

If all that can be avoided, that's great. Just the slowing down of thoughts would help. It would give enough time to catch one and call it out on its bullshit because they're all built on irrationality and false perception. It just feels like it's completely true once that descent begins and it's nigh impossible to think otherwise, it's a terrible ride that has to be waited out until it comes to a stop.
That's pretty much it!

Excited to hear what comes of everything for you. Bated breath and all that!

Attention fellow Aussies, apparently, this is how you stop piracy:

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/05/14/...fast-tracked-itunes-downloads/#comment-609682

Pay TV giant Foxtel has confirmed reports that it will block the remaining seasons of HBO’s popular Game of Thrones series from being offered in Australia hours after the show is released in the US, due to an exclusive deal with the show’s producer HBO signed in October last year.

Game of Thrones — based on George R. R. Martin’s hit fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire — has leapt into the top ratings as one of the most popular television shows in Australia and globally over the past several years. However, at the same time, it has seen record levels of piracy in Australia due to the fact that it has not been available on free to air television, and has only recently been made available locally in a timely fashion through Apple’s iTunes platform after each episode airs in the US.

Analysis by file-sharing news site TorrentFreak published last month, for example, showed that Australia continued to be the world’s most enthusiastic nation globally in terms of illegally downloading Game of Thrones, despite the fact that the series was made available legally, cheaply and in high quality in Australia shortly after it was broadcast in the US, through platforms such as Apple’s iTunes and the Foxtel pay TV service.

Foxtels monopoly continues to be the worst thing for Australian content consumers.

Fuck you, Murdoch.

Top Bottom