• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Anion

You can choose to pick up the car in Zuffenhausen or Leipzig.

No discount at all. In fact, I have to pay for the car upfront including registration and taxes before I go, IN ADDITION to a $19,000 German VAT that will be held in escrow until the car comes back to the US.

Not sure if I want to do it anymore because not only will it delay the delivery of the car here, but I will be out $150K+ for the car and trip.
Wow, that is terrible. I know for Mercedes, they take 7% off and that's why the dealers hate doing it lol. They even feed you on your first and last day. Drop off points are everywhere in Europe too, so you could even drop off in England I think

Around the 3 minute mark, he mentions that this Carrera S is as fast around the Nurburgring as the 997 GT2.

HOW!?

Yeah that's a little wild, isn't it? The new S comes with the GT3's rear-wheel steer, and beyond that just chassis development in general. Forget the track, though, it must be a hell of a thing on the road.

So how is the Dual Clutch in the new WRX?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the evo and my fiance's e36 and my old e36 and just having a nice DD for her.

I think Volvo's ED program literally pays for your flight and hotel.

They do - two adults with one night of accommodations. They have a large number of drop-off points all around Europe as well. It's actually a better deal overall then my employer's discount with Volvo (6%, but requires taking delivery from a US dealer).

We've been kicking this around for years for a family vacation. The kids are inheriting the missus' car in a few years and she'll need something new. She's been smitten by the BMW X1 but has always had a soft spot for Volvos (we've owned several 240s), so maybe the new V40 will be up her alley.

TCRS

Banned
saw the new 7 series today. you know when a car looks ugly on pictures but is actually pretty okay in rl? this one ain't. still ugly as fuck. what the hell was BMW thinking smh.

FStop7

Banned
They do - two adults with one night of accommodations. They have a large number of drop-off points all around Europe as well. It's actually a better deal overall then my employer's discount with Volvo (6%, but requires taking delivery from a US dealer).

We've been kicking this around for years for a family vacation. The kids are inheriting the missus' car in a few years and she'll need something new. She's been smitten by the BMW X1 but has always had a soft spot for Volvos (we've owned several 240s), so maybe the new V40 will be up her alley.

One of my close friends does BMW ED every couple of years. He and his wife each have a leased car. They intentionally staggered the lease dates so they can make trips to Munich to pick up their next cars on alternating years. The money they save by using ED pays for a good portion of each trip. Plus they are BMWCCA members so they get a $500 - $1000 cash rebate, depending on the model.

Lizardus

Picked up the new Golf R yesterday.

DSG w/ Tech. Package. Comes with everything else standard here in Canada.

Thinking of getting Gtechnique coating done to it. Anyone else have experience?

Just drove 500 kms back to my city. Very fun ride and its a day and night difference between "Comfort" and "Race" mode.

9K33Gaj.jpg

Chiester

Came out of class today to this.
Thought at first someone did it on purpose, but while I was waiting for the campus police to file a report two girls from the softball team came and told me someone hit a homerun and my car just so happened to be there. I've parked by the softball field for 2 years now and this finally happens. Guess I wont anymore lol.

At least it was just my hardtop, so I can still drive my miata like nothing happened. Also saw a porsche 959 (maybe a replica?) today, so that eases the pain a bit lol. Didnt take a pic because i thought it was a 993 with a wide-body kit at first and I didn't know what I was looking at until I passed by it and saw the rear.

Chiester

^ Fucckkkk, that sucks. How much would it cost to replace just the glass?

Don't know, but the glass with defroster seems to go for around $400 before shipping. And I don't know what labor would be on something like this. Gonna get a call from my school tomorrow or Thursday about replacing it, so we'll see how that goes.

Jackson

Came out of class today to this.

Thought at first someone did it on purpose, but while I was waiting for the campus police to file a report two girls from the softball team came and told me someone hit a homerun and my car just so happened to be there. I've parked by the softball field for 2 years now and this finally happens. Guess I wont anymore lol.

Dang dude! That suuuuuuux.

Anion

Just drove 500 kms back to my city. Very fun ride and its a day and night difference between "Comfort" and "Race" mode.
Yo, congrats man. I love the Golf R. Was between the lesser GTI, the Golf R and Mazda 3 for me at a time
ended up with a CLA though haha
and dang it was a fun car to drive. Love those rims too, funnily enough I was thinking of getting them for my car cause I like the two tone and the style haha

negitoro7

Congrats! Got my down payment back and pulled out the day the car came in (pure white manual with Tech). Toughest financial decision I've ever had to make. Still kicking myself somewhat daily for not doing it. Helluva performance bargain with a gorgeous interior, and practical too.

matmanx1

Very nice! Congratulations on your new and very classy ride. Enjoy it!

Bandit1

Congrats! Looks very nice.

Thought I'd share this here, I got to take this GT-R around Mount Hakone for a few hours when I was in Japan. Loads of fun on a foggy morning mountain pass.

1971 Nissan Skyline Hakosuka by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

Amazing.

Anion

Man I wish I had carplay...found a company selling a plug and play module for $600...which is obviously too pricey for a small convience but still lol

SliChillax

vw-golf-gti-rear-lights_0_zpsba81562c.jpg

They don't offer the led tail lights in Canada? Enjoy the car btw, had a mk7 2.0 tdi and I loved it. Can't imagine how much better the R is :)

Around the 3 minute mark, he mentions that this Carrera S is as fast around the Nurburgring as the 997 GT2.

HOW!?

GT2 Manual vs pdk makes a big difference. Also the Carrera S might have been a 4S but either way it puts its power down better than a GT2 which is a crazy car.

A quick look at the Porsche 991.2 from Evo. It sounds...good! Credit to Porsche for getting the exhaust note right, and maybe now they can send some of their guys over to BMW for a while to help out with the M3/4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=354&v=Ft6MbJsH83Q

Have you heard the 2016 LCI M3/M4? They have an improved exhaust and it sounds great in person. I still hate it in videos though but loved it live.

Lizardus

vw-golf-gti-rear-lights_0_zpsba81562c.jpg

They don't offer the led tail lights in Canada? Enjoy the car btw, had a mk7 2.0 tdi and I loved it. Can't imagine how much better the R is :)

GT2 Manual vs pdk makes a big difference. Also the Carrera S might have been a 4S but either way it puts its power down better than a GT2 which is a crazy car.

Have you heard the 2016 LCI M3/M4? They have an improved exhaust and it sounds great in person. I still hate it in videos though but loved it live.

No, they are not offered in north america. Regulations, I bet. They can be retrofitted pretty easily though.

So how is the Dual Clutch in the new WRX?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the evo and my fiance's e36 and my old e36 and just having a nice DD for her.

CVT get a lot of hate here. I test drove the WRX CVT and thought it was fine. Especially for a DD. if you are not taking it to the track etc and for daily use, I felt it was both sporty and fun. Sure not as fast as the manual but not trash either. Test one for yourself.

CVT get a lot of hate here. I test drove the WRX CVT and thought it was fine. Especially for a DD. if you are not taking it to the track etc and for daily use, I felt it was both sporty and fun. Sure not as fast as the manual but not trash either. Test one for yourself.

I've driven both transmissions in the new WRX. The CVT is just fine for daily driving, but if you're spending 30k+ on a small car wouldn't you rather have something European? The A3 comes to mind here.

Zeus7

I was driving home from work tonight and noticed white smoke from the front of my bonnet and from the exhaust. The whole car basically came to a stand still and stopped, the oil light also flashed. All the water and oil levels are fine. Does this sound like the head gasket? The temperature gauge was maxed :(

SliChillax

I've driven both transmissions in the new WRX. The CVT is just fine for daily driving, but if you're spending 30k+ on a small car wouldn't you rather have something European? The A3 comes to mind here.

I'd rather have a Golf R than a WRX Sti. It's more refined, faster in a straight line thanks to the dct, way more refined, interior is another level compared to the Subaru and it doesn't looks like a 13 year old designed it. Sure the Subaru might be more fun in a track but you don't buy these cars for track only.

KillGore

So I've fallen in love with the 335i (E92) and now I want to purchase one, but upon checking this thread, I see some people complaining about the car? Was the car poorly made? Such a beautiful car...a shame if true.

Is there a site where I can go that shows me the most common problems for car models?

So I've fallen in love with the 335i (E92) and now I want to purchase one, but upon checking this thread, I see some people complaining about the car? Was the car poorly made? Such a beautiful car...a shame if true.

Is there a site where I can go that shows me the most common problems for car models?

probably the most popular forum for that car.

in the case of the bmw, likely bimmerpost.

FStop7

Banned

share with me your thoughts and feelings on high pressure fuel pumps

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Unless you have deep pockets or can work on a BMW yourself, you don't need this heartache. I've owned one.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I don't think I should work on my car any more. In addition to possibly over tightening a spark plug, my tuner said I had a "massive boost leak" where my upper intercooler pipe meets the intercooler. Which so happens to be the only bolt on I did. Boh.

ameratsu

Anecdotally, Golf Rs seem to be pretty popular amongst those who could drive basically whatever they want. Understated, refined, and fun to drive? What better choice for a surgeon or lawyer looking for a nice car that doesn't look the part.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/

You should consider a certified vehicle if repairs are a concern. CPO limited warranty should cover the mentioned fuel pump issue.

GHG

Don't do it unless you're under warranty or have deep pockets and don't give a fuck.

Signed, a BMW owner.

nitewulf

Get the 328i coupe or convertible. I had the convertible, and though not the fastest out of the block, you get that kickass inline-6 with a lot of linear acceleration, exquisite handling and steering feedback. It was a joy to drive and I miss it dearly. The coupe is lighter so should be a bit quicker. Get one with low mileage or CPO and you will have an excellent, reliable daily driver with a host of cool options, depending on the package. I mean really, I drove that car in the city and on winding mountain roads and it was such a pleasure to drive. The coupe should be even more comfortable as I believe the convertible has the stiffest ride.

KillGore

Thanks for the help guys.

So I'm guessing the same problems persist on the 328i? That coupe body is beautiful. I like it even more than the recent 3 series'

Zyzyxxz

So I'm guessing the same problems persist on the 328i? That coupe body is beautiful. I like it even more than the recent 3 series'

E92 were the last decent looking BMW after that it all went to shit and Mercedes came back strong.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Looks solid. Any more info or charts? AFR/boost, perhaps a base run, etc

25 psi. He finished up pretty late, I needed to get home and it was icy, so didn't push it much at all but it definitely pulls way harder longer through the revs, and sounds amazing. Fairly stock but deeper when casually driving, but like a monster under wot. And the pops when you let off the gas. God damn I'm excited to drive more.

I'll post a dyno pull vid when he gets it to me.

matmanx1

Bimmerpost.com is a good resource. My suggestion would be the 328i. It's the same car without the turbos and the associated issues.

You don't have to worry about turbo issues or high pressure fuel pumps on the 328 (or 128) since they are normally aspirated. 328i coupe would be my pick, unless you just need the 4 doors. You still get a great motor and a well built car that is plenty fast enough.

Keep in mind though, any out of warranty BMW is going to cost more in maintenance and service than most Japanese or American cars. For me with my 128i (2009 model) I spent over $1,000 in the first couple of months on a battery replacement and a few other issues that needed to be addressed but have since driven the car over 10,000 miles and not had to spend anymore money except for gas.

As a daily driver it's the best that I have ever owned in terms of doing almost everything really well. If you can find one that meets your criteria in terms of price and features and is in good shape then I say go for it as long as you have the means.

KillGore

Bimmerpost.com is a good resource. My suggestion would be the 328i. It's the same car without the turbos and the associated issues.

You don't have to worry about turbo issues or high pressure fuel pumps on the 328 (or 128) since they are normally aspirated. 328i coupe would be my pick, unless you just need the 4 doors. You still get a great motor and a well built car that is plenty fast enough.

Keep in mind though, any out of warranty BMW is going to cost more in maintenance and service than most Japanese or American cars. For me with my 128i (2009 model) I spent over $1,000 in the first couple of months on a battery replacement and a few other issues that needed to be addressed but have since driven the car over 10,000 miles and not had to spend anymore money except for gas.

As a daily driver it's the best that I have ever owned in terms of doing almost everything really well. If you can find one that meets your criteria in terms of price and features and is in good shape then I say go for it as long as you have the means.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into a 328i.

I actually do own a 3 series but its a 1994 325i. Ive had it for 11 years now and was very good to me. Now, at 190,000+ miles is it coming down with a couple of problems.

pvpoetM.jpg

Sorry of the image is too big, I'm on phone

Top Bottom