• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

SliChillax

Didn't know Ruf made a Cayman GT4 before Porsche. This one has a naturally aspirated 3.8 from the 911 and makes 420hp. Horrible exhaust tips though and a wing might also help.
wqCNyyX.jpg

Well that's a first.

Now that I'm being serious...

I actually agree with djSyndrome.

The Toyobaru is actually a lot like the 3rd generation Miatas, they're overall a better car but not a better Miata.

A better Miata would be the new redesigned one, it's a lightweight nimble roadster that's essentially a modernized 1st or 2nd gen Miata. The 3rd gen and Toyobaru are the Miatas that's overweight, but are able to lose all that weight to get it up to par with the other Miatas. The most important thing to note is that the Toyobaru was built for the track and autocross, while the Miata was built to tackle the backroads.

A lot of hardcore drivers tend to prefer the Toyobaru, and that's actually it's real downfall imo. Nobody wants to buy one, besides the hardcore track day bros, the dudes who grew up with the Fast and the Furious, as well as those dudes wanting to channel their inner Fujiwara Takumi. A majority of those buyers have already bought one or are planning to buy used, it's why the sales for the twins are significantly decreasing.

Speaking as the vocal Miata fanboy of Auto-GAF, I personally like the twins but I feel like it's not an upgrade to my Miata. As much as I've been wanting to get backseats so I can actually carry shit around in my car, I still don't feel like it's an upgrade... I'd rather get the Fail-wheel drive Fiesta ST or Focus ST's.

It's actually a very interesting conundrum for the Toyobaru, they're great cars but for some reason they can't reach an audience beyond the enthusiast. And even when they've reached the enthusiasts, you've got the Miata which has 25 years to back up it's legendary status or you've got the FWD/4WD beasts from Ford, Mazda, Subaru, and VW as it's competition.

SliChillax

Now that I'm being serious...

I actually agree with djSyndrome.

The Toyobaru is actually a lot like the 3rd generation Miatas, they're overall a better car but not a better Miata.

A better Miata would be the new redesigned one, it's a lightweight nimble roadster that's essentially a modernized 1st or 2nd gen Miata. The 3rd gen and Toyobaru are the Miatas that's overweight, but are able to lose all that weight to get it up to par with the other Miatas. The most important thing to note is that the Toyobaru was built for the track and autocross, while the Miata was built to tackle the backroads.

A lot of hardcore drivers tend to prefer the Toyobaru, and that's actually it's real downfall imo. Nobody wants to buy one, besides the hardcore track day bros, the dudes who grew up with the Fast and the Furious, as well as those dudes wanting to channel their inner Fujiwara Takumi. A majority of those buyers have already bought one or are planning to buy used, it's why the sales for the twins are significantly decreasing.

Speaking as the vocal Miata fanboy of Auto-GAF, I personally like the twins but I feel like it's not an upgrade to my Miata. As much as I've been wanting to get backseats so I can actually carry shit around in my car, I still don't feel like it's an upgrade... I'd rather get the Fail-wheel drive Fiesta ST or Focus ST's.

It's actually a very interesting conundrum for the Toyobaru, they're great cars but for some reason they can't reach an audience beyond the enthusiast. And even when they've reached the enthusiasts, you've got the Miata which has 25 years to back up it's legendary status or you've got the FWD/4WD beasts from Ford, Mazda, Subaru, and VW as it's competition.

I believe you since I've never driven both, just going by from what I heard. Talking about Miatas, why the hell don't they make a coupe already?

matmanx1

I believe you since I've never driven both, just going by from what I heard. Talking about Miatas, why the hell don't they make a coupe already?

This. So much this. I get that the Miata has always supposed to be the spiritual successor to the British roadsters of old but with a coupe option us enthusiasts could have our cake and eat it to. Those who wanted the "wind in the hair" could opt for the roadster and those of us who just wanted a fun, tossable, rwd 2 seat sports coupe would have a great option also.

As a guy who's not big on convertibles but really likes the way that the Miata drives I would absolutely fall in love with a Miata coupe.

lem0n

This. So much this. I get that the Miata has always supposed to be the spiritual successor to the British roadsters of old but with a coupe option us enthusiasts could have our cake and eat it to. Those who wanted the "wind in the hair" could opt for the roadster and those of us who just wanted a fun, tossable, rwd 2 seat sports coupe would have a great option also.

As a guy who's not big on convertibles but really likes the way that the Miata drives I would absolutely fall in love with a Miata coupe.

Aw yiss.

Mazda-157.jpg

Mazda ideology.

It's the same reason why they're still trying to revive the rotary even though it's almost impossible to get it within the emissions standards.

A lot of upper management are bullheaded and would rather stick to tradition/heritage rather than chase the cash.

Hell, this thing wasn't even supposed to come out at all:

112_0609_02z%2Bmazda_mx5_miata_prht%2Bleft_rear_view.jpg

IIRC Mazda has had concepts of a coupe or a power retractable hardtop for at least the 2nd gen Miata but it added a ton of weight and obviously that was counter-productive to the purpose of the Miata, so they shelved it. I believe the only reason why the PRHT came to be for the 3rd gen Miatas is because they had numbers that proved that the PRHT would be a very successful plan... and they were right, the take is basically split at 50/50 for soft-top and the PRHT for the 3rd gen Miata's.

The soft-top hasn't bothered me in the last 3 years tbh, and that thing is literally 10 years old already. It thankfully still has no rips or any issues whatsoever so I haven't seen the need to change it. But if I were to get a new Miata, I'm definitely gonna get the PRHT. I rarely drop the top myself so I'd rather have a solid roof for security.

SliChillax

Mazda ideology.

It's the same reason why they're still trying to revive the rotary even though it's almost impossible to get it within the emissions standards.

A lot of upper management are bullheaded and would rather stick to tradition/heritage rather than chase the cash.

Hell, this thing wasn't even supposed to come out at all:

112_0609_02z%2Bmazda_mx5_miata_prht%2Bleft_rear_view.jpg

IIRC Mazda has had concepts of a coupe or a power retractable hardtop for at least the 2nd gen Miata but it added a ton of weight and obviously that was counter-productive to the purpose of the Miata, so they shelved it. I believe the only reason why the PRHT came to be for the 3rd gen Miatas is because they had numbers that proved that the PRHT would be a very successful plan... and they were right, the take is basically split at 50/50 for soft-top and the PRHT for the 3rd gen Miata's.

The soft-top hasn't bothered me in the last 3 years tbh, and that thing is literally 10 years old already. It thankfully still has no rips or any issues whatsoever so I haven't seen the need to change it. But if I were to get a new Miata, I'm definitely gonna get the PRHT. I rarely drop the top myself so I'd rather have a solid roof for security.

Yeah I had this discussion a few days ago with my professor.Mazda has always teased us with awesome concept and the recent one, the RX Vision made me completely fall in love with it. I actually applaud them for their ideology, it would be sad for them to end up like Mitsubishi. Still though, having a coupe Miata would make it so much better in every way. Security, chassis rigidity, maybe less weight and so on.

Jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmoa6X90J58

Cool vid of some dude driving both a stock GTS and stock GT4 on the same track on the same day. Obviously GT4 wins, but I wonder what the times would be with same tires. PSC2 vs PZero is a huge difference. It'd probably be a second or more closer I bet.

Lap Times
GTS: 1'20"28
GT4: 1'24"20

The guy who's GT4 I drove owns that as his daily. He's even going to put winter tires on it this season when it gets cold in Chicago.

That's stupid for Chicago because it dumps snow there in the winter. So... good luck to that guy for driving a 400HP MR car in the snow I guess?

Evo X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmoa6X90J58

Cool vid of some dude driving both a stock GTS and stock GT4 on the same track on the same day. Obviously GT4 wins, but I wonder what the times would be with same tires. PSC2 vs PZero is a huge difference. It'd probably be a second or more closer I bet.

Lap Times
GTS: 1'20"28
GT4: 1'24"20

4 seconds is an eternity on a small track like that. Even if you put the same tire compound on the cars, the GT4 has 60mm more tread due to the wider track. That PDK on the GTS helped too I bet. Either way, no one ever claimed the GT4 was way faster, but after driving one, it's certainly more fun and responsive. It takes an already excellent car and just gives it a small boost. More power, tighter grip, sweeter shifter, better steering, etc. That much was apparent after getting out of my car and hopping right into one.

That's stupid for Chicago because it dumps snow there in the winter. So... good luck to that guy for driving a 400HP MR car in the snow I guess?

It's not that bad. It was actually 65F here yesterday. God bless climate change. lol

It only snowed like 3 times last season. Most of the time, it is cold, but not that wet. He still has a 4X4 truck to drive in snow storms, but the GT4 will be perfectly fine otherwise.

Whatever, I don't have to worry about that shit anymore. Moving back to SoCal in 10 days. Getting my GTS and bike shipped there this week. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnCfqRtk39Y

This looks perfect to me. 250 wheel horse power for a car like this seems perfect.

Yeah for the weight, 250 WHP is pretty darn amazing. Even with my FR-S at a wheel horsepower of 200, instead of the advertised crank horsepower of 200, it's like night and day.

I remember trying to fit inside my friend's Miata. Good times. I'd have to steer with my knees.

With people in the back seats of the FR-S, it's pretty much the same case. I really just use those back seats for storage.

Lizardus

Hey Canadian AutoGAF,

Where do you buy your wheels and tires from? It seems we have way less choices than our neighbours down south. Tirerack is decent but shipping is brutal.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
There is a gold colored 2015 991 911S on OEM gold wheels in my neighborhood.

Wtf. Why would Porsche let someone order it like that? And what does Porsche even call their gold color?

boltz

Mazda ideology.

I'm glad that we still have companies that think that way - hell, it's a miracle for a publicly-held company to think/operate that way.

Anecdotally, of all the non-luxury CUVs I see in my area, I see more CX-5s in top-level trim (easily distinguished by their wheels) than any other CUVs (which tend to be mid or low level trims). That tells me that people buying them most likely are into what they are buying/driving as opposed to treating them like appliances.

Jackson

It's more of a champagne color. I'm trying to find a list of all colors they offer for the Exclusive program, but there is no list.

You can order a Porsche in pretty much any color you want. Porsche calls it "Paint to Sample". Most high-end manufactures also offer this service. I think Porsche charges $6,000 for it? Something like that.

But it could also be a wrap.

Apparently here's a big list I found.

http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Porsche/All/

Bandit1

Not quite that gold.

And that JPG says it's a wrapped car.

Haha yeah, just messing with you guys.

Not sure anybody cares but the Motortrend Car of the Year is the 2016 Camaro.

I hadn't even thought about this, haven't got the magazine yet, but I'm not surprised. The car received glowing reviews from many publications and the SS beat out the Mustang GT in Motor Trend's head to head.

AlphaSnake

FStop7

Banned
Porsche's PTS isn't as good as it used to be. It used to be you could literally get anything you wanted, as long as you paid. I remember this article about the last ever produced customer 928 - the buyer ordered it purple in and out with green trim. It looked like The Joker's car. Ugly? Hell yes. But an example of how far you could go. The buyer even had the seatbelts in purple, which alone cost several thousand dollars because the seatbelt material was dyed an entire roll at a time. So he had to pay for the whole roll.

Now apparently PTS is very hit or miss. There are several colors (even OEM colors that aren't currently offered on a particular model) that Porsche will flat out reject sometimes and other times approve without any real rhyme or reason.

Anion

Speaking of Porsches (cause we never talk about them do we), I have always dreamed of restoring a 1970s 911. I have a friend who got quoted for $20k to redo the entire interior.
I knew it could get expensive, but not $20k interior only...and he was told that was a lower figure...

Speaking of Porsches (cause we never talk about them do we), I have always dreamed of restoring a 1970s 911. I have a friend who got quoted for $20k to redo the entire interior.
I knew it could get expensive, but not $20k interior only...and he was told that was a lower figure...

Da fug? I mean there's a ton of leather in the car, but that seems pretty high for what needs to be done.

Then again I don't know upholstery so ehhhh

Not sure anybody cares but the Motortrend Car of the Year is the 2016 Camaro.

Here’s one where the new Camaro might actually transcend the criteria. Is this the best production ponycar the world has ever seen? Without hesitation, yes. What was interesting to me is that we judge types weren’t talking about the Camaro in relation to the Mustang GT that we brought along as a benchmark. We were talking about future Camaro comparison tests against BMWs, Audis, and AMGs. I’d even throw Porsche into that mix. MacKenzie sums up our feelings: “A revelation. Absolutely world-class sports car performance and dynamics from an American icon. The new Camaro is one of the finest driver’s cars in the world. And that’s before you even talk about the price.” It’s also absolutely bitchin’, and it’s the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year.

Yes....I must have it.

Anion

Da fug? I mean there's a ton of leather in the car, but that seems pretty high for what needs to be done.

Then again I don't know upholstery so ehhhh

Exactly what I was thinking. Though, the seats will need to be redone completely. He is getting a quote at a few other places, so hopefully it will be something a bit more "reasonable" lol

for those who work on cars,

can i swap my brake pads with only a floor jack lifting the car, or is it absolutely necessary that I use jack stands?

i don't have stands at the moment but do have the jack and imagine i can get by doing this one job just fine with only a jack, right?

Bandit1

can i swap my brake pads with only a floor jack lifting the car, or is it absolutely necessary that I use jack stands?

i don't have stands at the moment but do have the jack and imagine i can get by doing this one job just fine with only a jack, right?

Yeah you should be able to, but it's not ideal. Just make sure you lift from a secure location and do not get under the car (which you shouldn't need to) and you'll be fine.

Jackson

Now that is truly disgusting! Still, as long as the buyer is happy with it. That's really all that matters.

You mean as long as the leaser is happy. :p You buy that you better not have dreams of reselling it. lol

New RWD Huracan. I don't like the new body kit, looks like a cheap chinese knock off bumper.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/11/lamborghini-graces-huracan-with-new-lp.html

Dey worried bout dat McLaren 570S marketshare. The $180k market seems to be the new hotness. Rich enough to be exclusive, cheap enough more people who are well off but not crazy rich can afford. A lot of used Gallardos sell in this range too vs a new decked out Huracan at $280k.

ok thanks for the quick reply.

i'll report back on how it goes.

Do you have a spare tire?

Stick that under the axle of whichever side you're working on as a precaution.

Anyway, that mint green Porsche is horrible. Good grief, I'd rather drive a hot pink Miata dragging rainbows than that vomit.

The FIATA is finally revealed and it's... uhh... meh?

The side profile is literally a Miata, specifically a 3rd gen. The front and rear are kinda alright, but the interior is fncking gross. They literally didn't do anything to it besides adding the FIAT badge yet it looks fncking terrible compared to the new Miata. The engine is interesting at the least, it's the turbo 1.4L from the 500 Abarth so you get 160hp/184 ft-lb of torque compared to the 155hp/148 ft-lb of torque in the new Miata.

This is really disappointing to me. I was actually more interested in the FIATA than the new Miata because of the engine, but now... I'm not so sure tbh. At least Mazda got money to make the ND from this exchange lol.

Reven

Fucking gross. Honestly it looks like one of those shitty Chinese knockoff cars. Its a shame they wont put more power in the Miata. Also what is up with that auto shifter, it looks exactly like the one in the BRZ/FRS.

AlphaSnake

The FIATA is finally revealed and it's... uhh... meh?

The side profile is literally a Miata, specifically a 3rd gen. The front and rear are kinda alright, but the interior is fncking gross. They literally didn't do anything to it besides adding the FIAT badge yet it looks fncking terrible compared to the new Miata. The engine is interesting at the least, it's the turbo 1.4L from the 500 Abarth so you get 160hp/184 ft-lb of torque compared to the 155hp/148 ft-lb of torque in the new Miata.

This is really disappointing to me. I was actually more interested in the FIATA than the new Miata because of the engine, but now... I'm not so sure tbh. At least Mazda got money to make the ND from this exchange lol.

It looks like a Miata that Rockstar would design for Grand Theft Auto. :\

Reven

Everyone over on Jalopnik is losing their shit and saying its beautiful, I don't see it at all. The angry catfish looking Miata is much better IMHO.

Fiata is weird. Too clearly a refaced Miata, especially in the profile.

Exactly what I was thinking. Though, the seats will need to be redone completely. He is getting a quote at a few other places, so hopefully it will be something a bit more "reasonable" lol

Good used seats usually run about $1000 each, I'd guess redone with new padding and leather would be $1500? Hell, that interior must be rough if they're racking up that kind of cost, if you can tell us later what kind of quotes he gets at other places I'd be interested to hear.

"Doing just this one thing real quick" is what starts off a lot of safety incidents. Go buy a couple of jack stands from Autozone for $30, your life is too much to risk to skip this.

Here's some motivation for you! You have a stuck bolt on the caliper you can't quite get to. You lay down on your back to look at the bottom of the rotor, and while reaching up to get at the bolt, jostle your jack. It tips over. The rotor comes down on your face.

Spoiler for sad construction safety story:
Thankfully I wasn't there to see it first hand, but I was working at a facility the same day they had a fatality. A maintenance worker used a makeshift safety pin to hold up a scissor lift table because he couldn't find the original. He and another worker were underneath it when the pin gave way. One of them had their arm pinned and lost it, the other had his chest under it to the waist.

His best friend since kindergarten was there trying to pull the lift off of him and watched him die. All because the guy didn't want to take the time to find the right pin.

Anyway, use a jack stand.

Top Bottom