• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Evo X

First snowfall of the season in Chicago. Friend just posted a video of him doing donuts in his Aventador in our Facebook groupchat. Because of the AWD, it's just spinning in circles super fast. lol

Xdye7

Looking to get some wheels for my car and I really like the price/performance of the enkei rpf1s. The gold looks amazing with white IMO, but its only in the stock enkei size 18x8.5 with an offset of 40. If I'm going to spend the money for new wheels and tires should I go wider? Alot of people like the recessed look, but i think even the stock wheels look good. Will the 40 offset look comparable to the stock wheels at +37?

Not wicked white, but gives you an idea of what they look like

Of course my other option I'm looking at is to try to pick up a used set of the MR oem BBS wheels.

just FYI your post is kind of all over the place and difficult to reply to

+40 will look and perform worse than stock, plus the RPF1s in that offset won't clear the brake calipers anyway

do some more research, start with the wheel/tire sections of your major evo forums. If you want some advice here, post some more specific information. What you're looking to spend, what tires you want to run, are you ok with using spacers, what you're looking for in a wheel, ok with rolling/modifying fenders, etc

Ah that's cool! :) I worked at a Japanese owned autobody shop when I was 19. Just to learn about cars mostly. Friend's brother hooked me up with job. Was fun, had some crazy stories there.

Oh, wouldn't surprise me. I have lots of crazy stories from my work place too.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just FYI your post is kind of all over the place and difficult to reply to

+40 will look and perform worse than stock, plus the RPF1s in that offset won't clear the brake calipers anyway

do some more research, start with the wheel/tire sections of your major evo forums. If you want some advice here, post some more specific information. What you're looking to spend, what tires you want to run, are you ok with using spacers, what you're looking for in a wheel, ok with rolling/modifying fenders, etc

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. Does 2 mm really make that much difference? (OEM enkeis are 18x8.5 +38 apparently).

Evo X

Speaking of wheels, these new satin black HREs look so damn hot on a white GT4. They are a bitch clean though. Suppose it makes a case for carbon ceramic brakes if you don't want to deal with that.

80-porsche_cayman_gt4_with_hre_rc100_in_satin_black_7__34b715cf7bb4014cde1ecd4a51161314f023df77.jpg

80-porsche_cayman_gt4_with_hre_rc100_in_satin_black_10__209b06f1c579c44ff63c934a35a6f9e5758870ac.jpg

80-porsche_cayman_gt4_with_hre_rc100_in_satin_black_3__e206f681b016f1c1c59ffaae922291ec9d86cfee.jpg

Looking to get some wheels for my car and I really like the price/performance of the enkei rpf1s. The gold looks amazing with white IMO, but its only in the stock enkei size 18x8.5 with an offset of 40. If I'm going to spend the money for new wheels and tires should I go wider? Alot of people like the recessed look, but i think even the stock wheels look good. Will the 40 offset look comparable to the stock wheels at +37?

Of course my other option I'm looking at is to try to pick up a used set of the MR oem BBS wheels.

I wouldn't get higher offset wheels than stock. Besides, if you really like the rpf1's, you could always get them in a lower offset and just get the wheels powder coated the color you want.

Speaking of wheels, these new satin black HREs look so damn hot on a white GT4. They are a bitch clean though. Suppose it makes a case for carbon ceramic brakes if you don't want to deal with that.

80-porsche_cayman_gt4_with_hre_rc100_in_satin_black_3__e206f681b016f1c1c59ffaae922291ec9d86cfee.jpg

Those don't really look hard to clean at all. And being black, it would hide being dirty. Although, I've owned quite a few of fine meshed wheels, so my definition of easy to clean is probably different than others.

So pretty much every time I park my Mazda3, I look back at it like I miss being in it for that time wherever I am. A year and a half later. Sooo glad I gave up the Cruze and went for the 3. Just a great little thing all around.

boltz

What do you guys think about a 2008 Evo X GSR with about 50k on the odometer and never modded for about $24k? That's what my buddy drives (only owner) and he's probably going to be replacing it next year.

I wasn't planning to get a car for a few more years, but with the Evo out of production, I'm thinking it could be a smart purchase (not to mention fun).

What do you guys think about a 2008 Evo X GSR with about 50k on the odometer and never modded for about $24k? That's what my buddy drives (only owner) and he's probably going to be replacing it next year.

I wasn't planning to get a car for a few more years, but with the Evo out of production, I'm thinking it could be a smart purchase (not to mention fun).

That's about 7k a year, which is pretty babied. I am a moderate driver and averaged 11k my first year.

If you've got a record of all maintenance and it's accident free and clean, I'd say go for it. If I had found one in that price range I might've gone for it instead of the FR-S. Sadly people were asking more 28 - 30K in my area which I felt was too much.

This is how car ownership should be! :D Grats!

My only issue is they decided to hide the dual exhaust of the 3. Obviously it is easily seen on the hatchback, but the sedan could have been thrown a bone.

And of course, it isn't a power thing as I'm well aware of the limitations with the current platform, but it would have been nice.

Xdye7

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. Does 2 mm really make that much difference? (OEM enkeis are 18x8.5 +38 apparently).

It really depends. 2mm can be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing in some setups. However in this case it doesn't matter since those particular wheels do not clear the brake calipers. If you want to provide some more specific information about what you're looking for I will gladly post some wheel suggestions

That's about 7k a year, which is pretty babied. I am a moderate driver and averaged 11k my first year.

If you've got a record of all maintenance and it's accident free and clean, I'd say go for it. If I had found one in that price range I might've gone for it instead of the FR-S. Sadly people were asking more 28 - 30K in my area which I felt was too much.

It's not really a car to jump into without knowing a little about it, especially the first model year. Also low mileage doesn't necessarily mean babied lol. Definitely educate yourself about the car, make sure it was maintained properly and that all the recalls, TSBs, reflashes, etc. were done. If I remember correctly there's a pretty important one regarding the timing chain, which if neglected could potentially result in some serious issues right around 60k

op_ivy

It really depends. 2mm can be the difference between rubbing and not rubbing in some setups. However in this case it doesn't matter since those particular wheels do not clear the brake calipers. If you want to provide some more specific information about what you're looking for I will gladly post some wheel suggestions

I want light and relatively cheap. I like the looks of the rpf1s, but was hoping for the gold finish. They have silver that will definitely fit though. So, I suppose I'm looking at those or the MR BBS wheels. Anything else in the 1200 price range and sub 20 pounds to consider?

Anion

I really want he ff15 rims for my car too. Looks great in person

I really want other forged HREs but those cost so so much lol. Heard they can run easily past $8k haha

Xdye7

I want light and relatively cheap. I like the looks of the rpf1s, but was hoping for the gold finish. They have silver that will definitely fit though. So, I suppose I'm looking at those or the MR BBS wheels. Anything else in the 1200 price range and sub 20 pounds to consider?

Light, cheap, strong. Pick two as far as new wheels go lol

Can't say I know of anything that fits your criteria. You could familiarize yourself with which dimensions you'd be ok running then keep an eye on the used market

For the right price, can't go wrong with a nice set of OEM BBS though

I forgot about used. I bet you could get a nice set of work emotion wheels in the size and color you want. Although they're heavier than the enkei's, but in my opinion look much better when getting higher offset.

No Love

Banned

Enkei NT03+M 18x9

Around $1200. About 20 lbs. Very cheap and looks great. Extremely strong and hard as hell to bend due to their structural design so great for track.

op_ivy

Enkei NT03+M 18x9

Around $1200. About 20 lbs. Very cheap and looks great. Extremely strong and hard as hell to bend due to their structural design so great for track.

Yeah, but gold?

I'll take a look. Thanks for the suggestion.

Xdye7

Enkei NT03+M 18x9

18x9 doesn't exist and the size people do run on the evo x (18x9.5 +27) still need spacers to clear the brake calipers, pushing them into non-fender clearing territory. Not to mention you'll need 265s

Suddenly not so cheap and light

edit: check out advan wheels, specifically the RGIII and RGD. Come in gold I believe and plenty of good sizes such as 18x9 +25 which will fit no problems with stock tire size and look dope imo. They're also very light, only thing is they're a bit more expensive than what you're looking for, but still nothing too bad especially for what you're getting.

op_ivy

18x9 doesn't exist and the size people do run on the evo x (18x9.5 +27) still need spacers to clear the brake calipers, pushing them into non-fender clearing territory. Not to mention you'll need 265s

If I get the rpf1s, what size and offset would you recommend (ease of fitment and performance in mind)?

No Love

Banned

Ah I forgot how inferior the X is to the 8 and 9. Then again, 265's are dirt cheap if you get 595 RSR's.

If I get the rpf1s, what size and offset would you recommend (ease of fitment and performance in mind)?

I recommend 18's but if you do 17x9 at minimum they will be concave. 255mm rubber is what I'd run on a tuned Evo so that you can easily put the power down.

Xdye7

There's no RPF1 size for the evo x without some sort of compromise, such as rolling fenders or running spacers.

I recommend 18's but if you do 17x9 at minimum they will be concave. 255mm rubber is what I'd run on a tuned Evo so that you can easily put the power down.

17s don't fit on the X. 255s aren't tall enough among other things. 245/40/18 or 265/35/18 is what you want to run.

op_ivy

There's no RPF1 size for the evo x without some sort of compromise, such as rolling fenders or running spacers.

17s don't fit on the X. 255s aren't tall enough among other things. 245/40/18 or 265/35/18 is what you want to run.
Tire racks generic car fitment page says the 18x8.5 30 fits.

?

negitoro7

auto-gaf, I need some opinions on what color paddle shifters I should get.

I'm taking delivery of a DSG Lapiz Blue Golf R next Saturday, and I know I'll NEED DSG paddle replacements (got a set on my current DSG GTI).

For those who don't know what the Golf R interior looks like, click:
https://etektuning.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/golf-r-15-gallery-1.jpg

Should I go with regular black, polished black, or blue, which supposedly matches the Lapiz Blue exterior paint (says the company's owner).
The blue should also match the blue dials and blue light strips on the doors and side sills.

The matte black would match the steering wheel, and the polished black matches the shiny plastic of the interior.
I'm a little worried the blue might be too cheesy, but it might also look pretty nice and liven up an otherwise dark and somewhat boring (albeit classy) interior.

Here's what they look like in Blue Titanium:

728315_x800.jpg

Anion

I'm taking delivery of a DSG Lapiz Blue Golf R next Saturday, and I know I'll NEED DSG paddle replacements (got a set on my current DSG GTI).

Should I go with regular black, polished black, or blue, which supposedly matches the Lapiz Blue exterior paint (says the company's owner).
The blue should also match the blue dials and blue light strips on the doors and side sills.

The matte black would match the steering wheel, and the polished black matches the shiny plastic of the interior.
I'm a little worried the blue might be too cheesy, but it might also look pretty nice and liven up an otherwise dark and somewhat boring (albeit classy) interior.

Imo, go for the blue. Its a golf R.
Be bold. Plus the blue paddles and blue dials will be cool imo. Will look better in person imo.

Then again your talking to the guy who drives a red car with red accents lol

negitoro7

Imo, go for the blue. Its a golf R.
Be bold. Plus the blue paddles and blue dials will be cool imo. Will look better in person imo.

Then again your talking to the guy who drives a red car with red accents lol

I like your thinking. Yeah, screw classy, it's a blue 292HP AWD hot hatch!

?

Those should fit pretty close to stock. They'll be pushed out like 8mm, which won't be a problem. It's what I would recommend if you wanted something close to stock, and you shouldn't have to modify your fenders at all.

Xdye7

?

Not sure tbh, I wouldn't go off just that however. Google knows :)

I also don't see why you would go with those over the BBS for the same price

edit: brake caliper clearance is the main issue here. As far as fender clearance goes, +22 seems to be the limit where some setups rub and others don't without rolled fenders

SliChillax

728315_x800.jpg

Don't think twice and go with blue.

Man, you Evo guys are lucky... you can run lower offsets, without much work (STI's have lame ass offsets unless you want to get SUPER aggressive and run higher camber). Anyways, if you're stuck on those rims, I'd run 18X9.5+15.

Jackson

I like how these people are just casually posting their garage, especially this guy. Just a casual Singer with a casual 918 and Carrera GT. Oh and just a casual and ordinary Cayman GT4.
80-img_1099_3_4955ba60dc96cd91feac2fdf7f2c8e1a228c1003.jpg

Pffft! No 997 GT3 RS 4.0, 959 or 991 GT3 RS? What kinda Porsche collector is he!

The jelly, it causes so much pain.

boltz

It's not really a car to jump into without knowing a little about it, especially the first model year. Also low mileage doesn't necessarily mean babied lol. Definitely educate yourself about the car, make sure it was maintained properly and that all the recalls, TSBs, reflashes, etc. were done. If I remember correctly there's a pretty important one regarding the timing chain, which if neglected could potentially result in some serious issues right around 60k

I'll check with my buddy, but I know he's the kind of guy who'll push the car hard occasionally but not thrash it, and he takes care of his stuff.

The timing chain issue seems to be the biggest thing, I'll have to see if he got the TSB don't need for it. Otherwise my biggest issue with his car is that the clutch is heavier than I'm used to. My last manual was a '08 Civic LX, which was much lighter, clutch wise. Can that be modded?

psylah

My dad got a new car (Infiniti Q70) and I wanted to get him a remote starter for Christmas.

Would a remote starter violate any sort of warranty?

Zoolader

Holy shit, good luck with that. You in Georgia or Florida?

Thanks but I already hit a few snags. ECS tuning accidentally sent me coilovers for an Audi TT and not an S4. This is delaying everything by days and ECS are being dicks about it and won't expedite the shipping even after their fuck up. Also after taking the motor and tranny out I learned I would also need to order a flywheel to go with my new clutch. That flywheel should be arriving any second now. I live in Florida.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
My dad got a new car (Infiniti Q70) and I wanted to get him a remote starter for Christmas.

Would a remote starter violate any sort of warranty?

:D

Fello Q70 (56S) owner here.

Nissan does offer a remote start option from a lot of dealers (many will even give you an OEB keyfob with a remote start button on it), so as someone else mentioned, go to the dealer and talk to them about it.

Bandit1

Thanks but I already hit a few snags. ECS tuning accidentally sent me coilovers for an Audi TT and not an S4. This is delaying everything by days and ECS are being dicks about it and won't expedite the shipping even after their fuck up. Also after taking the motor and tranny out I learned I would also need to order a flywheel to go with my new clutch. That flywheel should be arriving any second now. I live in Florida.

That's a shame about the coilover situation. They really should get that to you ASAP, their fault not yours.

Bandit1

Speedhunters had a couple of cool features on a salvage yard in California, one focused on American cars and one focused on imports:

Welcome to the wasteland - The great American junkyard

Imports in an American junkyard

I'd love to walk around in that place if they would let people in. I could spend days in there. This may not be as interesting to some of you guys, but I really love the history of it. These cars were new at one time, shiny fresh paint, sitting out on a lot in Anywhere, USA. Somebody bought them and loved them as much as you or I love our cars. And I wonder how they got to this point, when did someone decide they were too far gone?

Junkyard-Tour-54-copy-680x469.jpg

What was the last straw for this Torino? At some point this car would have been somebody's pride and joy. They would have taken pictures of it and posted them in the Neogaf Automotive Discussion thread if there had been such a thing.

Junkyard-Tour-105-copy-680x453.jpg

Fortunately for some of the more popular models like the Mustangs, Challengers, Chevelles, Camaros and Firebirds, you can practically buy anything you need for them. Fenders, hoods, bumpers, quarter skins, floor pans, grilles, etc.

But for more obscure cars, you could spend countless hours trying to find a salvageable piece of trim, and that's probably why many of these cars are still here, because eventually someone might need that one piece.

Junkyard-Tour-30-copy-680x453.jpg

So what will become of our cars in forty years? I just hope mine doesn't end up on a freighter bound for Yokohama, melted down and stamped out into five Priuses.

Top Bottom