• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

ameratsu

for those who work on cars,

can i swap my brake pads with only a floor jack lifting the car, or is it absolutely necessary that I use jack stands?

i don't have stands at the moment but do have the jack and imagine i can get by doing this one job just fine with only a jack, right?

Use jack stands.

SliChillax

The FIATA is finally revealed and it's... uhh... meh?

The side profile is literally a Miata, specifically a 3rd gen. The front and rear are kinda alright, but the interior is fncking gross. They literally didn't do anything to it besides adding the FIAT badge yet it looks fncking terrible compared to the new Miata. The engine is interesting at the least, it's the turbo 1.4L from the 500 Abarth so you get 160hp/184 ft-lb of torque compared to the 155hp/148 ft-lb of torque in the new Miata.

This is really disappointing to me. I was actually more interested in the FIATA than the new Miata because of the engine, but now... I'm not so sure tbh. At least Mazda got money to make the ND from this exchange lol.

Interior looks gross because it has an auto instead of a manual. Exterior looks awful but the rear end is not bad.

matmanx1

Yes....I must have it.

Yeah the SS Camaro is a performance monster for its list price of $37k. It's actually faster than the GT350 Mustang to 60 and did the figure 8 quicker while being cheaper. And it's lighter than the Mustang also, which I think is the first time that a Camaro has ever been lighter than a Mustang. What is the world coming to?

The FIATA is finally revealed and it's... uhh... meh?

The side profile is literally a Miata, specifically a 3rd gen. The front and rear are kinda alright, but the interior is fncking gross. They literally didn't do anything to it besides adding the FIAT badge yet it looks fncking terrible compared to the new Miata. The engine is interesting at the least, it's the turbo 1.4L from the 500 Abarth so you get 160hp/184 ft-lb of torque compared to the 155hp/148 ft-lb of torque in the new Miata.

This is really disappointing to me. I was actually more interested in the FIATA than the new Miata because of the engine, but now... I'm not so sure tbh. At least Mazda got money to make the ND from this exchange lol.

Not gonna lie, I like it. I said this on Jalopnik but I think it looks like the Miata's half Japanese / half Italian older sister. If it sounds as good as the Abarth (and it better) then it might be very compelling.

Oh hey, new Civic coupe...but why can't they give the 1.5T with a manual??

The wait for the new Si continues...

http://www.slashgear.com/this-is-the-2016-honda-civic-coupe-17414892/#

2016_Civic_Coupe_03-1280x635.jpg

2016_Civic_Coupe_02-980x420.jpg

Yeah the SS Camaro is a performance monster for its list price of $37k. It's actually faster than the GT350 Mustang to 60 and did the figure 8 quicker while being cheaper. And it's lighter than the Mustang also, which I think is the first time that a Camaro has ever been lighter than a Mustang. What is the world coming to?

I use the Camaro as a way to tell if someone is actually interested in cars, or just cares about numbers. Whenever I mention the FR-S, the non-car guys go "why didn't you get a Mustang for that price?" The car guys at least mention some alternatives like the Camaro, WRX, etc.

To be honest though, I don't recommend the FR-S to people anymore. Now that the WRX is closer in price, I tell people to get it in manual if they're not as willing to have a blank canvas to work on, need more seats, or want their FI under warranty.

I use the Camaro as a way to tell if someone is actually interested in cars, or just cares about numbers. Whenever I mention the FR-S, the non-car guys go "why didn't you get a Mustang for that price?" The car guys at least mention some alternatives like the Camaro, WRX, etc.

To be honest though, I don't recommend the FR-S to people anymore. Now that the WRX is closer in price, I tell people to get it in manual if they're not as willing to have a blank canvas to work on, need more seats, or want their FI under warranty.

You can grab a BRZ for 24 and change if you shop around, but Scion dealers are still (stubbornly) holding onto the Pure Price BS.

I'll espouse the FR-S' virtues all day long to anyone who will listen, but whenever someone asks me which car to buy my answer is always 'WRX'. If you're asking the question then you don't want what the twins have to offer.

I can't stand the "what car should I buy" question. 1. Figure out what you need. 2. Look at the five or six vehicles being sold that align with your requirements. 3. Pick a couple you like. 4. We'll talk about the ones you like, but you've probably already decided.

There really aren't that many cars available in each segment, so I usually just end up helping people figure out what they actually need out of a car rather than which one to get.

I'm liking that way more than the last few iterations--weird exhaust pipe covers aside.

matmanx1

Maybe its one of those that will look better in person (the new Accord certainly does) but those pictures just make it look fussy. Like there's too many lines and angles. I prefer clean designs so some of that is just my bias coming through but so far I don't care for what I have seen of the new Civic.

Edit- I believe it is actually just the funky lower portion of the car between the wheels (does it need to be split like that?) and the busy rear hatch that are throwing me. The rest of it is not bad.

for those who work on cars,

can i swap my brake pads with only a floor jack lifting the car, or is it absolutely necessary that I use jack stands?

i don't have stands at the moment but do have the jack and imagine i can get by doing this one job just fine with only a jack, right?

eh id just get a jack stand to be safe.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
New Mazda CX-9:

900x506

900x506

900x506

900x506

Looks good.

Looks premium. But if it's powered by some wheezy-ass 4-banger that makes all of 180HP I wouldn't consider it, and neither will others. All of that SkyActiv nonsense is becoming annoying. The CX-9 needs a V6. Quite frankly, so does the CX-5. The segment competition are all powered by fairly powerful 3.5L V6s. Mazda needs to either use a solid N/A V6 or a 3.0L turbo.

Edit: Ugh. A 2.5L Turbo-4. 250HP/310TQ.

Nope. Something that looks that pretty inside/out and that big just feels WRONG with a 4-cylinder.

I like the Fiata. has something classic and italian to it (duh). but yeah the interior...

also, I love the big steering wheel of the new Alfa Romeo Giulia:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/18/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-official/#slide-3699873

fucking tired of tiny steering wheels. exterior is great as well, only the rear is maybe a bit too much.

Fiata is the perfect name. It is not as pretty as the Miata but with more power, I'll take it. Especially if it has the crazy exhaust note of the Abarth! I hope it does.

Evo X

Race Spec Cayman GT4 revealed. Yours for only $165K. Requires a 2 year series racing commitment in prepaid entry fees (not included in price).

Video 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdBZEq8uCvw

Video 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsLoK_qlXU

Road & Track

The Cayman GT4 is as close to sports-car perfection as you could have hoped. With a honking 3.8-liter flat-six from the 911 out back, a six-speed manual ​in the middle, and a front suspension straight off the 911 GT3, it's basically everything we've wanted for years.

And now, there's a racing version. Meet the Cayman GT4 Clubsport.

One change you might notice immediately is that the manual gearbox is gone, replaced by Porsche's fantastic PDK dual-clutch. Sure, manuals are more fun, but PDK is foolproof on a track. And for novices and pros alike that hate the cost of rebuilding an engine that has been over-revved during a missed shift, that should be welcome.

The interior has been stripped out as you'd expect from a car that is only intended to be on track, so you probably won't be seeing any of these down at the supermarket.

It weighs 2866 pounds and the power stays at 385, the same as the GT4 road car. The suspension is taken from the 911 GT3 Cup car front and rear, there's a highly adjustable ABS to go along with the 15-inch rotors all around, and the stability control is now meant to work with slicks.

Porsche's plan is to homologate the car for a number of series like Pirelli World Challenge and PCA club races.

This is like Porsche's Spec Miata. It's an easy way to get into racing and then stay addicted, continuing to buy faster and faster Porsches to do your bidding on track. A brilliant plan. We can't wait to drive it.

80-cayman_gt4_clubsport_1_medium__e8a5f4aa3d8bd635e9c83331ff80457e108f3d25.jpg

gallery-1447874925-dsc-7630.jpg

gallery-1447875089-dsc-7598.jpg

80-cayman_gt4_clubsport_3_medium__d326ee4b1c1783fee8a1c31eb658008b5457e5c8.jpg

gallery-1447875254-dsc-7635.jpg

^ lol wtf? Rebels Race Harder [in sanctioned high price spec series]?

Looks premium. But if it's powered by some wheezy-ass 4-banger that makes all of 180HP I wouldn't consider it, and neither will others. All of that SkyActiv nonsense is becoming annoying. The CX-9 needs a V6. Quite frankly, so does the CX-5. The segment competition are all powered by fairly powerful 3.5L V6s. Mazda needs to either use a solid N/A V6 or a 3.0L turbo.

Edit: Ugh. A 2.5L Turbo-4. 250HP/310TQ.

Nope. Something that looks that pretty inside/out and that big just feels WRONG with a 4-cylinder.

I don't like the idea of a 4-cyl in something that big, but 310 lb-ft and 250 hp should feel pretty decent in a people mover that size. I just hope that quiet the noise--if it's a 4-cyl in a premium car I'd rather just not hear it at all.

So Jaguar updated the XE website with all the details and prices on engines and options.

Holy fuck the XE S (35t) seems like a steal. Seriously considering going for the rwd r-sport version next year. Will see it in person at the LA Auto show this weekend.

First new car since the mazda3 I bought for college. Excited.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I just saw one of the funniest things ever.
You know those awful side vent decals you can get to make your car look sporty?
I just saw a pair of those stuck on the rear bumper of a truck.

Here's a quick visual representation (since my phone's camera sucks and I couldn't get a decent picture). Not the exact decals, but that's the exact location.

1HA5P6T.png

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So Jaguar updated the XE website with all the details and prices on engines and options.

Holy fuck the XE S (35t) seems like a steal. Seriously considering going for the rwd r-sport version next year. Will see it in person at the LA Auto show this weekend.

First new car since the mazda3 I bought for college. Excited.

Yeah, I configured one yesterday. Took a base Premium model, added the Vision Package (bi-xenons are super important to me) + Navigation. Came out to 46K MSRP (around 43-44K invoice). That's very inexpensive. Love the fact that it already comes with a Meridian Audio system as standard. Also the 18s look sooooooo much better in real life than in that configuration render.

Jaguar now has its own financial arm within Chase as of October, so the leases should be extra good on these.

matmanx1

Evo X

That thing looks the business, doesn't it? Very cool concept. I wonder how popular it will be? I don't know much about Club Racing and if 165k is a small investment or a large one in the grand scheme of things.

It's actually a pretty good deal. Most cars in that segment cost north of $200K.

nitewulf

Any thoughts on the base 2014/15 911 Carrera? If I up my budget a bit, I could get a used/CPO one for Cayman S money...it is more powerful, and roomier.

Evo X

Any thoughts on the base 2014/15 911 Carrera? If I up my budget a bit, I could get a used/CPO one for Cayman S money...it is more powerful, and roomier.

It's a great car if you need the extra seats. If you want a lighter, sportier car with the same engine, you can get a Cayman GTS instead for around the same money.

Jackson

It's a great car if you need the extra seats. If you want a lighter, sportier car with the same engine, you can get a Cayman GTS instead for around the same money.

Yes.

Also GTS will give you more options for free where as base Carrera won't include those.

Smokey

Ive been in Austin for the past week for work. Staying out in hill country. Awesome driving the 335 in these hills. Really highlights how boring a city Houston is to drive in.

Also...i checked out the 7 series. Maybe I just have low standards to yall but I really liked it. I guess the problem is the S class. This version was the 750 with M sport package. It had a sporty look while still being a big ass car.

TL;DR i need to move from Houston.

No Love

Banned
R34 GTR vspecii nur 5A 24k kms just sold for ¥9.2m!!!!! About 3x the price of cheapest R35s. Prices have been going up a lot lately.

As soon as they can be imported into the U.S. I'm buying one. +1 for being an ambidextrous driver that can drive stick left-handed. R34 is so beautiful and dat motor.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Once again, Chris Harris is living the dream, but this time Tiff and Marino Franchitti are along for the ride:

Chris Harris on Cars - LaFerrari v Porsche 918 v McLaren P1 at Portimao

Some fantastic production values and editing here; I have a hard time seeing how the 'gear knobs' will top this, especially considering Harris and company can actually drive. :p

That was so great, so much fun. I had the biggest, stupidest grin watching the 3 of them run around the track in the last segment. So good, thanks for sharing.

Bandit1

Once again, Chris Harris is living the dream, but this time Tiff and Marino Franchitti are along for the ride:

Some fantastic production values and editing here; I have a hard time seeing how the 'gear knobs' will top this, especially considering Harris and company can actually drive. :p

Awesome, awesome video. All three of those guys are great drivers, driving those cars all out and sideways. Looked like so much fun.

R34 GTR vspecii nur 5A 24k kms just sold for ¥9.2m!!!!! About 3x the price of cheapest R35s. Prices have been going up a lot lately.

It's funny, I've been watching the prices of BNR34's and because of the increase of the R32 (see DOUBLE since they are now legal in the states) the prices have risen steadily. If I don't decide sooner then later, I'm looking at pricing being around the same as a used R35

As soon as they can be imported into the U.S. I'm buying one. +1 for being an ambidextrous driver that can drive stick left-handed. R34 is so beautiful and dat motor.

That they are, and are a personal fav!

matmanx1

That was so great, so much fun. I had the biggest, stupidest grin watching the 3 of them run around the track in the last segment. So good, thanks for sharing.

I need to get a free hour so I can actually watch this. It's been a very busy week but I know it will be worth it.

So one of these was next to me on the way to work yesterday morning except it was black. Exact same wheels too.
product_thumb.php

993 911, the last of the air cooled 911's. So, so pretty. I just wanted to keep following it but I had to turn off to go to work. It was also striking how small it was as compared to the newer 911's and I loved how clean the lines and curves were.

Once I get my garage built I will be looking very seriously at a range of fun cars and the 911's from 1980 - 1998 (which is when the 993 line ended) will be near the top of the list of things to consider.

matmanx1

Ok so I made the time and it was oh so worth it. The best part is most certainly the hot laps the guys did at the end with all three cars at once. And getting Tiff in there is automatically a +1 for entertainment value. What an amazing group of cars and what an amazing piece of film to capture them all in their glory.

We just had our first Shelby GT 350 and it was gone just like that. I didn't even know we had one. It was gone before I even knew what happened. I wish I got some picture for you guys.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Looking to get some wheels for my car and I really like the price/performance of the enkei rpf1s. The gold looks amazing with white IMO, but its only in the stock enkei size 18x8.5 with an offset of 40. If I'm going to spend the money for new wheels and tires should I go wider? Alot of people like the recessed look, but i think even the stock wheels look good. Will the 40 offset look comparable to the stock wheels at +37?

Not wicked white, but gives you an idea of what they look like

Of course my other option I'm looking at is to try to pick up a used set of the MR oem BBS wheels.

Top Bottom