• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Ive been in Austin for the past week for work. Staying out in hill country. Awesome driving the 335 in these hills. Really highlights how boring a city Houston is to drive in.

Also...i checked out the 7 series. Maybe I just have low standards to yall but I really liked it. I guess the problem is the S class. This version was the 750 with M sport package. It had a sporty look while still being a big ass car.

TL;DR i need to move from Houston.

Austin is amazing to drive in, I have desperately tried to find good driving roads with twists and turns here in Houston, but no luck.

matmanx1

Speedhunters had a couple of cool features on a salvage yard in California, one focused on American cars and one focused on imports:

Welcome to the wasteland - The great American junkyard

Imports in an American junkyard

I'd love to walk around in that place if they would let people in. I could spend days in there. This may not be as interesting to some of you guys, but I really love the history of it. These cars were new at one time, shiny fresh paint, sitting out on a lot in Anywhere, USA. Somebody bought them and loved them as much as you or I love our cars. And I wonder how they got to this point, when did someone decide they were too far gone?

Junkyard-Tour-54-copy-680x469.jpg

What was the last straw for this Torino? At some point this car would have been somebody's pride and joy. They would have taken pictures of it and posted them in the Neogaf Automotive Discussion thread if there had been such a thing.

Junkyard-Tour-105-copy-680x453.jpg

Fortunately for some of the more popular models like the Mustangs, Challengers, Chevelles, Camaros and Firebirds, you can practically buy anything you need for them. Fenders, hoods, bumpers, quarter skins, floor pans, grilles, etc.

But for more obscure cars, you could spend countless hours trying to find a salvageable piece of trim, and that's probably why many of these cars are still here, because eventually someone might need that one piece.

Junkyard-Tour-30-copy-680x453.jpg

So what will become of our cars in forty years? I just hope mine doesn't end up on a freighter bound for Yokohama, melted down and stamped out into five Priuses.

Fascinating. Having brought a 68 Mustang back from the (nearly) dead as a project car with my Dad when I was a teenager, I can totally respect the potential found in such a place. I can also mentally count the hours, dollars, blood and sweat it would take to get one of those back to good condition. My respect goes out to anyone who tackles a project like that because I know what it takes.

FStop7

Banned
The local Porsche dealer leases space in my office building's parking garage to store their inventory.

Besides a whole row of 911 Turbo variants there's now also a black/black/black Boxster Spyder. Makes me feel strange in my pants.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
HOLY FUCK!

Infiniti this isn't fair.

infiniti-q60-02-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-10-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-06-1.jpg

3.0T. 400HP.

:''''(

I'm so happy. It looks nearly identical to the concept.

psylah

HOLY FUCK!

infiniti-q60-02-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-10-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-06-1.jpg

3.0T. 400HP.

Yeah, this will probably be my next car, if not the Z based on this platform.

There's some wonky camera zoom lens stuff going on, messing with the proportions a bit. The wheels appear to be different sizes from picture to picture, lol

AlphaSnake

Yeah, this will probably be my next car, if not the Z based on this platform.

It's just so beautiful and shapely. The lines are gorgeous. Not one bad angle.

It's everything the Lexus RC isn't. The tuner world is going to have a field day with this car.

Bandit1

Fascinating. Having brought a 68 Mustang back from the (nearly) dead as a project car with my Dad when I was a teenager, I can totally respect the potential found in such a place. I can also mentally count the hours, dollars, blood and sweat it would take to get one of those back to good condition. My respect goes out to anyone who tackles a project like that because I know what it takes.

Nice, do you or your dad still have the Mustang? Any pictures?

HOLY FUCK!

infiniti-q60-02-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-10-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-06-1.jpg

3.0T. 400HP.

Man, that looks good.

Reven

That Infiniti is gorgeous. Reminds me of the Gen Coupe, but only if it was much better done. The only thing is the ass looks kind big and high, but every modern car has that problem now a days.

AlphaSnake

When's the official reveal?

In 2 months in Detroit.

That Infiniti is gorgeous. Reminds me of the Gen Coupe, but only if it was much better done. The only thing is the ass looks kind big and high, but every modern car has that problem now a days.

The rear end only looks high in the 1st pic, because of the angle. All of the other shots look perfectly even.

Anion

Dang that looks pretty. Im a sucker for red too.
Seems that is a high end trim though with those big rims. Im guessing those are at least 19 if not 20 or higher

FStop7

Banned
I was wrong. There are two Spyders.

img_473563ota.jpg
img_4734keolz.jpg

One of them was missing the window sticker and had a "SOLD" tag on the dash. The other still had its window sticker: $91k. I didn't like how it was optioned. It had the A/C delete but it did not have the stereo delete. In fact, it had the $3,000 upgraded stereo. And it did not have the full race buckets. It had the 13-way power seats.

If I were to get a Spyder it would have both A/C and stereo deletes and the race seats. I mean if you're getting a car that dedicated then do it right.

Evo X

On my flight to Southern California right now. Here's a pic from yesterday of the Cayman being loaded onto an enclosed trailer for transport. Should be reunited with her in 10 days.

So happy to be escaping the Chicago winter. Can't wait to hit up some epic coastal mountain roads. :)

m32HHAr.jpg

negitoro7

On my flight to Southern California right now. Here's a pic from yesterday of the Cayman being loaded onto an enclosed trailer for transport. Should be reunited with her in 10 days.

So happy to be escaping the Chicago winter. Can't wait to hit up some epic coastal mountain roads. :)

That's awesome man, would love to see a write-up and pics of your SoCal driving adventures.

matmanx1

HOLY FUCK!

infiniti-q60-02-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-10-1.jpg

infiniti-q60-06-1.jpg

3.0T. 400HP.

That is SO much better than the existing Q50! Hopefully it drives as good as it looks.

Nice, do you or your dad still have the Mustang? Any pictures?

Man, that looks good.

We sold it to finance my college education (at least partially) and while I miss it, it was the right thing to do. I have some non-digital photos of the car that I need to get scanned in for posterity and I think this post has encouraged me to do that. So thanks!

My recommendations for central California:

Highway 58:

Here's a round trip I do often to Pismo Beach:

Granite Road:

Map:

The Lion's Trail:

Map:

Trail of 100 Giants:

All of the Kernville Routes put you in the Sequoia National Park for a fair amount of the drive. Win-Win.

m32HHAr.jpg

There is nothing in that picture that I am not envious of. Actually getting snow at all, and that beautiful car.

Though you are leaving Chicago right before the yearly release of a great beer. :3

Mistel

Banned
Junkyard-Tour-54-copy-680x469.jpg

What was the last straw for this Torino? At some point this car would have been somebody's pride and joy. They would have taken pictures of it and posted them in the Neogaf Automotive Discussion thread if there had been such a thing..
That's still rather fixable it's not even got the typical rust for them visible even the cowl looks fine. That's at Turner's Auto Wrecking in Central Valley I think I recognize things in the background.

Anion

I will never understand the color black on a porsche. Cant. Tried to understand and couldnt. Silver, white, yellow, red, blue, green, orange you name it. But please not black

I will never understand the color black on a porsche. Cant. Tried to understand and couldnt. Silver, white, yellow, red, blue, green, orange you name it. But please not black

:c

It's what I've been thinking of. Or the grey. I'm not big on flashy colors (don't think less of anyone that is) or white cars and just want a Cayman for the drivablity.

FStop7

Banned

I've owned 3 black cars and each time I told myself it was the last time I'd own a black car. They look amazing when clean but it only lasts a couple of days.

Bandit1

We sold it to finance my college education (at least partially) and while I miss it, it was the right thing to do. I have some non-digital photos of the car that I need to get scanned in for posterity and I think this post has encouraged me to do that. So thanks!

You're welcome! I can understand that. Anyway I'd love to see some pictures when you get around to scanning them.

That's still rather fixable it's not even got the typical rust for them visible even the cowl looks fine. That's at Turner's Auto Wrecking in Central Valley I think I recognize things in the background.

I belive that is the place they said in the article. And yeah the Torino doesn't look that bad off, you might have a little trouble tracking down parts though. I don't think they have a lot of aftermarket support but I really like those cars.

Mistel

Banned
I belive that is the place they said in the article. And yeah the Torino doesn't look that bad off, you might have a little trouble tracking down parts though. I don't think they have a lot of aftermarket support but I really like those cars.
There's a fair bit not at that popular levels not full sheet metal levels yet. But it's better than their 70/71 Mercury Cyclone sisters where as far as I'm aware is no repo and you're looking at NOS or used for a majority of parts that are specific to them like the grille centers.

Bandit1

There's a fair bit not at that popular levels not full sheet metal levels yet. But it's better than their 70/71 Mercury Cyclone sisters where as far as I'm aware is no repo and you're looking at NOS or used for a majority of parts that are specific to them like the grille centers.

I can imagine how hard it would be to find Cyclone parts. I'm sure I've seen one, but I can't remember when.

I've owned 3 black cars and each time I told myself it was the last time I'd own a black car. They look amazing when clean but it only lasts a couple of days.

I owned a black car for the longest time. Then I said that I wouldn't buy another one, and proceeded to purchase two white ones... I didn't learn my lesson.

Looks amazing when it's clean, but that doesn't really last :(

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I just hit a piece of firewood laying in the road at about 60 in my evo. Fuuuuck. Going around a long sweeping corner there was a car pulled over on the inside shoulder. I was focused on him and almost immediately after passing BOOM! Never hit anything like that. I guess he was going the other way, saw it in the road and did a u-turn to get it out of the road. Nice guy, only I'm fairly sure if I wasn't fixated on his car I wouldn't have missed it. Oh well, shit happens.

No obvious visual or handling damage, anything to watch out for? Fuck.

Mesoian

Hey so...

My car is dying, sorta.

97' Honda Accord, good little car, had it for 10 years.

Had to do a full replace of the front brakes this spring which was a 1000 dollar job, and now the exhaust is pretty much DOA, which will be another 1000, which prompts me to start looking at new cars. I discussed it with a few people and because I live in the city and don't drive a whole ton (but still enough where I need to own a car), the idea of leasing has come up.

I know nothing about leasing a car.

What should I watch out for here? I feel like I'm gonna get taken for a ride if I ask these questions at a dealership.

Makki

Hey so...

My car is dying, sorta.

Had to do a full replace of the front brakes this spring which was a 1000 dollar job, and now the exhaust is pretty much DOA, which will be another 1000, which prompts me to start looking at new cars. I discussed it with a few people and because I live in the city and don't drive a whole ton (but still enough where I need to own a car), the idea of leasing has come up.

What should I watch out for here? I feel like I'm gonna get taken for a ride if I ask these questions at a dealership.
I think you are being taken for a ride by your mechanic. If your exhaust is bad and you can handle spinning a wrench, buy whatever piece is rusting from ebay for 100 bucks (aftermarket of course) and replace it, or pay your absurd mechanic half an hour of labor to swap it.

Brakes need replacing, its not down to the car being unreliable. What exactly was the "full replace"? I hope it wasnt just rotors, pads and fluid... Regarding the lease idea, based on the fact that you keep cars for a long time why do that? It makes sense for business and for people with short ownership goals, or on select brands with attractive terms, but it's very limited.

Makki

On another note... Can I take it home??? (Taken today at the Orlando Auto Show)

If come next year you can find these without "market adjustment" markups, I will trade in my FRS. This thing looked great in person, the interior although you couldnt open the doors seemed better trimmed than the STI.

Hey so...

My car is dying, sorta.

What the fuck.

$1000 for front brakes? On a fucking Accord?!

Are you sure it was only the front brakes?

Both my Miata and my brothers Mazdaspeed3 just went through a front brake replacement and while it wasn't a full replacement since we only resurfaced the rotors... it cost us about $450 for that.

Either you got duped or the brake job included the rears as well.

negitoro7

What a whirlwind day. Woke up, went to the dealership with my GTI (gone but not forgotten) loaded up with the stock Serron wheels and tires and traded her in.
Got my gunmetal Neuspeed RSE12 wheels with Continental DWS06 swapped over to the Golf R to be used as my winter set here in our mild Vancouver winters. Immediately after, sold the Cadiz Wheels and stock tires to a buyer who met up with me at the dealership.

Then drove straight to my buddy's place where we unwrapped the car and he spent about 7 hours washing, claying, polishing, sealing and waxing. He did a fantastic job detailing it and I'm not even going to be able to fully appreciate how much until I see it in the sunlight tomorrow. This is my first ever brand new car (I'm in my early/mid-30s and I've owned 4 previous cars bought used) and I wanted the whole experience of unwrapping it myself. I'm ecstatic about the car and it hasn't sunk in yet.

The salesguy was great in making sure they didn't wash the car and kept as much plastic wrap intact as possible.
Before picture and in-progress picture before it got too dark out to take pics:

tkzGCuS.jpg

i3wJm3F.jpg

Anion

:c

It's what I've been thinking of. Or the grey. I'm not big on flashy colors (don't think less of anyone that is) or white cars and just want a Cayman for the drivablity.

Haha I dont judge anyone when it comes to their car lol. Maybe extremely lifted trucks cause Im too scared to drive next to anyone driving those. Its just that I see so many black Caymans and 911s that could look "sharper" in a silver or grey but still be less flashy.

Black seems to clean the best. And very dark blue.

What a whirlwind day. Woke up, went to the dealership with my GTI (gone but not forgotten) loaded up with the stock Serron wheels and tires and traded her in.
Got my gunmetal Neuspeed RSE12 wheels with Continental DWS06 swapped over to the Golf R to be used as my winter set here in our mild Vancouver winters. Immediately after, sold the Cadiz Wheels and stock tires to a buyer who met up with me at the dealership.

Then drove straight to my buddy's place where we unwrapped the car and he spent about 7 hours washing, claying, polishing, sealing and waxing. He did a fantastic job detailing it and I'm not even going to be able to fully appreciate how much until I see it in the sunlight tomorrow. This is my first ever brand new car (I'm in my early/mid-30s and I've owned 4 previous cars bought used) and I wanted the whole experience of unwrapping it myself. I'm ecstatic about the car and it hasn't sunk in yet.

The salesguy was great in making sure they didn't wash the car and kept as much plastic wrap intact as possible.

Congrats man, now thats a beautiful car. Show us more pics when you get time for sure. Love the Golf R.
And yes, install those blue paddles if you got them lol
They will look glorious

negitoro7

Congrats man, now thats a beautiful car. Show us more pics when you get time for sure. Love the Golf R.
And yes, install those blue paddles if you got them lol
They will look glorious

Thanks! I decided on polished black paddles actually - couldn't justify the $400+ pricetag for the Titanium blue ones.

ameratsu

Congrats! Lovely colour choice.

ameratsu

Hey so...

My car is dying, sorta.

I'm a little hungover this morning but let me see if I can make sense of this.

The 1k brake job included calipers I'm assuming? I can't imagine a mechanic charging 1k for rotors+pads+labour on a 97 accord. I've needed to replace the rear calipers on my 99 integra due to the boot around the piston being torn / moisture getting into the piston area. Fronts could be pretty pricey.

Anyways, brake work is important and doesn't mean your car is dying.

There's no way your exhaust replacement should cost 1k. Contrary to what another poster said, I don't advise you get under there and just replace the piece that's leaking. Depending on your climate and the age of your exhaust, it may be extremely difficult to separate rusty exhaust pieces with basic hand tools while laying on your back in your garage/driveway.

I would take it to an exhaust/muffler shop. Have them put your car on a lift and give you a quote for replacing what's needed. If you aren't happy with the quote, take it somewhere else and get another one. Exhaust piping for your car, not including a muffler or catalytic converter should only be $300 or so.

If you don't drive a ton, and assuming nothing major is wrong with your accord, the cheapest is going to be just keeping it.

boltz

On another note... Can I take it home??? (Taken today at the Orlando Auto Show)

If come next year you can find these without "market adjustment" markups, I will trade in my FRS. This thing looked great in person, the interior although you couldnt open the doors seemed better trimmed than the STI.

Saw it at the LA auto show this weekend and looks great, but I don't really care for black wheels, which is all Ford has put on it. Would love to see how it looks with some dark gray wheels.

Congrats! Although the R exterior styling leaves a little bit to be desired for me, the interior is top notch and your wheels are much nicer than the stock ones. 6 speed or DSG?

Anion

Thanks! I decided on polished black paddles actually - couldn't justify the $400+ pricetag for the Titanium blue ones.

Dang, so that wasnt a joke about the price lol
A set of carbon fiber paddles for my car was for $350 and I thought that was too much lol

Qblivion

My grandpa let me drive his C7 today. Fastest car I've gotten to drive so far and it was pretty fun, but I dunno it was kinda big and heavy too. Think I'll stick to tiny cars.

negitoro7

Congrats! Lovely colour choice.

Thanks! Fell into a deposit on a Pure White one, but backed out cause I didn't want another white car right after the GTI, and I love the blue on this.

Congrats! Although the R exterior styling leaves a little bit to be desired for me, the interior is top notch and your wheels are much nicer than the stock ones. 6 speed or DSG?

Thank you, yeah I'm blown away by how nice the interior is, but I do prefer the MK6 steering wheel. I got DSG cause this was available, but I would've been okay with either transmission. DSG makes more sense for my daily commute though.

Dang, so that wasnt a joke about the price lol
A set of carbon fiber paddles for my car was for $350 and I thought that was too much lol

Haha yeah, the polished black ones are still $210. A lot easier to stomach than $400 however.

Installed an amp and a subwoofer/amp unit in my car today. Incredibly gratifying to hear everything work when I powered up my car. Amp is an aftermarket specifically for my make and model, was plug and play, but still took a total of about 2 and a half hours.

Top Bottom