• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Oxn

toyota-s-fr-racing-concept-previews-potential-race-car-makes-us-dream_1.jpg

I like this angle better, heh.

It looks so stupid that it looks good.

Zip tie it to the front grill.

Nah, it looks terrible:

bzCUXh.jpg

Even worse is that this setup blocks the air from my cold air intake so definitely a no go. I'd love to get it setup like how it is with the Evo X's but that costs money so....... lol.

I feel for you guys, no front plates or inspection stickers up here in Oklahoma thankfully.

Yeah, the front plates are really an eyesore. It's fine if the bumper was designed to accommodate the front plate but on cars like mine where there's really nowhere to hang them, it's just annoying.

Also, that S-FR looks fucking awesome. I want it!

Also I like that Toyota is totally trolling every single internet commenter
and at least half of the owners
of the FR-S. "Oh, it's a great car it just needs more power? You want a turbo? Really? OK HERE'S A SMALLER CAR WITH EVEN LESS POWER."

I'm so glad we don't have to put front plates on where I live. Honestly would ruin the look of my car. Then again, I would just get like a tow hook attachment for it if I lived in a state that required it...or just not install it lol

It's a $140 ticket if you are caught without one in Ontario. I haven't chanced it yet, but I have friends who chance it. Some get burned a few times during the summer, while others have never been popped.

Love it, hilariously awesome. The rear end expression is even better.

Toyota-S-FR-Racing-Concept-7.jpg

Japanese car manufactures are all over the place...

Got to ask, is anyone else having trouble with the lights from oncoming vehicles, especially new model SUVs/Trucks? I don't know if everyone here is driving with high beams on or if the manufacturers are aiming them higher and higher.

Got to ask, is anyone else having trouble with the lights from oncoming vehicles, especially new model SUVs/Trucks? I don't know if everyone here is driving with high beams on or if the manufacturers are aiming them higher and higher.

Not specific to new headlights, but just night driving in general for me. My eyes dry out badly when driving at night, pretty sure wearing glasses doesn't help at all.

I tend to find newer cars have headlights that are actually easier on the eyes. It's the older or modified headlights that haven't been aligned properly that really get to me, along with assholes who keep their fog lamps all the time because they think it looks cool (it does, but c'mon it's not foggy turn them off). Also, any car with loading in the rear is going to point those lights skyward; people flash their lights at me all the time when I'm towing something heavy at night--I'm sorry my rear-end is riding low I can't help it!

Browny

Banned
Also, any car with loading in the rear is going to point those lights skyward; people flash their lights at me all the time when I'm towing something heavy at night--I'm sorry my rear-end is riding low I can't help it!

This, 100% this. As soon as you have rear passengers in a newish car - let alone the shopping in the boot - the front lifts up. Very few people take the time to use the headlight adjuster. (Old cars exempt though)

Of course, if you're driving a low car, it doesn't take much to experience the same effect. And 4x4s / SUVs just blind you automatically.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
also requires four fat holes in the bumper. No bueno

Yeah, I took mine off and had to use some plastic plugs to fill the holes. Looks OK and haven't even bothered to 100% color match. Far far better than the plate or holes, lol.

This, 100% this. As soon as you have rear passengers in a newish car - let alone the shopping in the boot - the front lifts up. Very few people take the time to use the headlight adjuster. (Old cars exempt though)

Of course, if you're driving a low car, it doesn't take much to experience the same effect. And 4x4s / SUVs just blind you automatically.

Worst thing about driving a very low car? Being passed by trucks with aftermarket exhausts on the highway. That side-port exhaust some have goes straight into my window and oh god the noise and smell.

Well not the worst thing. The worst thing is being unable to see down the road when merging because of small roadside bushes blocking your view entirely. I'm sorry, everyone, I need to edge half of my car into the street so I can see past the bushes the city planner thought were so nice.

I think I'm going to eventually change my rearview mirror to an auto-dimming one. Really helps with that. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade my side mirrors to auto-dimming.

Worst thing about driving a very low car? Being passed by trucks with aftermarket exhausts on the highway. That side-port exhaust some have goes straight into my window and oh god the noise and smell.

Well not the worst thing. The worst thing is being unable to see down the road when merging because of small roadside bushes blocking your view entirely. I'm sorry, everyone, I need to edge half of my car into the street so I can see past the bushes the city planner thought were so nice.

Yup. Happened to me this morning. Black diesel exhaust all up in my grill.

I feel like that would fail the safety inspection. Among other things.

Grey spray paint?

Edit: Actually... is it at all allowable to tint your mirrors? Probably not, but I get your frustration. Again, being in a low car at night will get you blinded while passing or being passed on the highway. Though at least you can (and should) aim your side mirrors out so they don't point directly behind. Still sucks during passing but at least it's not all the time.

Zyzyxxz

Same problem its just that SUV's and Trucks ride higher and thus their headlights are at eye level with you.

FStop7

Banned
S-FR Racing Concept

u462agx1qz4xbbn2s6cy.jpg

This thing looks like a catfish. What do you all think?

6878118161_3c75301bef.jpg

Looks like the old AIM angry face emote. I love it.

Other stuff - This Sunday is the annual Motor4Toys show in Woodland Hills, just northwest of LA. This is traditionally a _huge_ event that brings out a lot of amazing cars from all over SoCal. The show starts at 6:30AM and runs through noon.

Also, the Petersen Museum is holding their Preview Day on the same day. The museum's gone through some renovations and this is a chance to get an early look at it with low crowds. Tickets are $200 so they're a little pricey, but IMO it's worth it because of the access, giveaways, etc. I'll be there w/ camera.

Zapages

Hi guys Everyone,

My 1999 Nissan Maxima with about 215K miles on it is giving the following codes: p0745 and p0325 with its engine light on. Also when I turn on the car, the traction control light blinks about 4 to 8 times.

We have recently have flushed and changed the transmission fluid. Also my car shifts a bit hard on the first 1 and 2nd gear from time to time. It was a lot worse before the transmission oil change. But over time it has gotten a lot better.

What should I do to getting it fixed or is it time for a new "used" (2013-2015) car? Thank you in advance. :)

I was thinking of a CPO Honda Accord 2013 EX-L V6 with 32K miles for about 20K? Is that good deal.

It was personal leased before.

Grey spray paint?

Edit: Actually... is it at all allowable to tint your mirrors? Probably not, but I get your frustration. Again, being in a low car at night will get you blinded while passing or being passed on the highway. Though at least you can (and should) aim your side mirrors out so they don't point directly behind. Still sucks during passing but at least it's not all the time.

To be honest, I didn't know it was a thing to tint mirrors, so I have no clue.

I still don't like it. It sounds far too artificial and has a nasty blat to it. I think they tried to make it sound like a standard big American V8 when it should have a more distinct tone. Revs to over eight thousand but never sounds like it goes that high, so I'm excited to see what it does when tuners get their hands on it.

I hate posting from my phone!

Hi guys Everyone,

My 1999 Nissan Maxima with about 215K miles on it is giving the following codes: p0745 and p0325 with its engine light on. Also when I turn on the car, the traction control light blinks about 4 to 8 times.

We have recently have flushed and changed the transmission fluid. Also my car shifts a bit hard on the first 1 and 2nd gear from time to time. It was a lot worse before the transmission oil change. But over time it has gotten a lot better.

What should I do to getting it fixed or is it time for a new "used" (2013-2015) car? Thank you in advance. :)

I was thinking of a CPO Honda Accord 2013 EX-L V6 with 32K miles for about 20K? Is that good deal.

Yeah, it might be time to give up the ghost and go with something newer.
I would definitely take a look at the Accord, yeah.

matmanx1

Hi guys Everyone,

If you have a mechanic that you trust you could always take it to them and at least let them tell you what the codes mean. 215k miles is a lot but if the fixes aren't very expensive then it is almost always less expensive to fix an older car than to buy a new one.

If the car actually needs expensive fixes and safety is starting to be an issue then yeah, it's probably time to move on. Honda and Toyota both still make very reliable cars and the new Accords are quite good. Can't go wrong with one of those.

Hi guys Everyone,

Bad pressure control solenoid (inside transmission) and bad knock sensor. Do you want to spend $1000 on this car?

Zapages

Thank you for the advice. We got the car checked

Update guys:

We just bought the Honda Accord 2013 EXL-V6 with Honda Sensing: http://www.paulmillerhonda.com/preowned/1HGCR3F8XDA001921.html

We will get it on Wednesday. The tires need to be changed and the brakes checked, but the finance manager was abrasive and rude but the guy who was helping us was great. The finance manager literally went to the other customer who were looking at the same car and said I will sell it to them if you don't want it. >: In end of it all, they are going to check the breaks and got 100 dollars further down from the asking price. My father and I we are thinking should we contact the general manager and try to get free front tires or a discount on them.

They gave us 500 dollars for the trade in for my old Maxima (I will miss it, as I drove it for the last 10 years). But the time for the car was up as it would costed a lot to fix the transmission and few other things (rear shocks were bad) (about 2 to 2.5K) from mechanic that we trusted We also got 100 dollar off the MSRP of 20,344. Our selling price was 20,244 dollars as they brought price down from about 23 or 24K.

We have ended up paying about 21300 after all the trade ins/taxes/documentation/online fees (>_>) included.

Was this a good deal?

Also should we contact the general manager due to experience that we had. This place is known for having awesome customer service and does high end and middle end vehicles like Porsche, Honda, Subaru, Audi, BMW, Bentley...

http://www.paulmiller.com/

Thank you guys in advance.

Washed my car today after a month where about 8 inches of rain literally fell from the sky in a span of 4 days... while the mercury read 63F, it was just too fncking cold outside. The wind chill and the cold ass water made the entire experience a pain in the butt lol.

I ended up using a Wax and Dry spray solution from Turtle Wax to get it done quickly.

How the hell do y'all up in the north hand wash your cars in the winter?

Also should we contact the general manager due to experience that we had. This place is known for having awesome customer service and does high end and middle end vehicles like Porsche, Honda, Subaru, Audi, BMW, Bentley...

That's actually a really good deal. One of my friends picked up a V6 Coupe back in August for $28K and that's with having the finance manager as one of our good friends lol.

And yes contact them just for the hell of it. It won't change your experience but at the very least they'll try and treat y'all as kings when you come back to pick up the car.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thank you for the advice. We got the car checked

Update guys:

We just bought the Honda Accord 2013 EXL-V6 with Honda Sensing: http://www.paulmillerhonda.com/preowned/1HGCR3F8XDA001921.html

We will get it on Wednesday. The tires need to be changed and the brakes checked, but the finance manager was abrasive and rude but the guy who was helping us was great. The finance manager literally went to the other customer who were looking at the same car and said I will sell it to them if you don't want it. >: In end of it all, they are going to check the breaks and got 100 dollars further down from the asking price. My father and I we are thinking should we contact the general manager and try to get free front tires or a discount on them.

They gave us 500 dollars for the trade in for my old Maxima (I will miss it, as I drove it for the last 10 years). But the time for the car was up as it would costed a lot to fix the transmission and few other things (rear shocks were bad) (about 2 to 2.5K) from mechanic that we trusted We also got 100 dollar off the MSRP of 20,344. Our selling price was 20,244 dollars as they brought price down from about 23 or 24K.

We have ended up paying about 21300 after all the trade ins/taxes/documentation/online fees (>_>) included.

Was this a good deal?

Yeah. Complain, there's no reason you should be insulted by an idiot in bad khakis, ever - and while $100 doesn't sound like much, Honda dealers (new and used) are notorious for not budging during high volume months like this. So that might not be awful.

IKizzLE

Just drove the P90D in ludicrous mode....almost whipped my neck.
Had a chance to do 0-60 and 20-80 in city streets. Nothing like it.

Gonna go ahead and pre order the 50k Model 3. Can't afford the 147k P90D just yet lol.
Baby steps....

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Tire rack, are there downsides to ordering from them!? I just ordered a set of tires for 650 shipped. Local tire shop will mount and balance for 150 for a grand total of 800 bucks. Before ordering from tire rack the same shop quoted 950 out the door if I bought from them. The one down the street quoted me for "just under $1300" (the tires through them are "special order"). Crazy. Why haven't I been doing this all along?

Tire rack, are there downsides to ordering from them!? I just ordered a set of tires for 650 shipped. Local tire shop will mount and balance for 150 for a grand total of 800 bucks. Before ordering from tire rack the same shop quoted 950 out the door if I bought from them. The one down the street quoted me for "just under $1300" (the tires through them are "special order"). Crazy. Why haven't I been doing this all along?
I've been looking into Tire Rack as well but have yet to pull the trigger.

grendelrt

I've been buying from them for years and never had an issue. You can have them delivered to your house or to the mounting place directly if they are on tire racks list.

Anion

It's a $140 ticket if you are caught without one in Ontario. I haven't chanced it yet, but I have friends who chance it. Some get burned a few times during the summer, while others have never been popped.
Woah dang, thats a lot. Would rather spend that money on some contraption that like pulls the plate out from under the bumper lol

Yeah I still have to get winter tires...so thanks for the heads up. I hope the set I get is like that lol

Right on top of the Mazda emblem or over one of the fog lights lol.

I feel for you guys, no front plates or inspection stickers up here in Oklahoma thankfully.

Yeah at least with the new 3s, there is good enough space for a front plate and no special mounting required as there are pilot holes built into the grill. Couldn't imagine ruining a Miata with that, though. Yuck.

Speaking of video...

Here's some sights and sounds of yesterday's Cars and Coffee here in Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4mZ9W2l14

Excuse the shaky cam footage and the bright ass video btw... this was kind of an unplanned trip lol. I didn't bring my shotgun mic nor my monopod to get some decent footage. I actually just wanted to take pictures of the cars but I got there about an hour before the event ended and a number of cars were already streaming out so I just ended up taking a majority of videos.

There are some pics that I took though, but I still gotta run them through Lightroom so I'll post again when I've got them ready.

Speaking of video...

Here's some sights and sounds of yesterday's Cars and Coffee here in Dallas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4mZ9W2l14

Excuse the shaky cam footage and the bright ass video btw... this was kind of an unplanned trip lol. I didn't bring my shotgun mic nor my monopod to get some decent footage. I actually just wanted to take pictures of the cars but I got there about an hour before the event ended and a number of cars were already streaming out so I just ended up taking a majority of videos.

There are some pics that I took though, but I still gotta run them through Lightroom so I'll post again when I've got them ready.

Hahahahahaha that fucking BRZ at 1:05. He must have left his good taste at home.

Washed my car today after a month where about 8 inches of rain literally fell from the sky in a span of 4 days... while the mercury read 63F, it was just too fncking cold outside. The wind chill and the cold ass water made the entire experience a pain in the butt lol.

I ended up using a Wax and Dry spray solution from Turtle Wax to get it done quickly.

Suck it up and wash quickly.

M52B28

Banned
Evo uploaded their 2015 car of the year video and it's achingly beautiful. You'll almost forget about the cars for the scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUhKhQP4PBo
This is what I want to do for a living. I don't really care if I don't get to drive the cars, just taking doing the photography and filming for the video would be nice.

The work that went into the whole video must have been tremendous. Just a perfect mix of everything that makes a powerful video.

I can only hope that I will be able to experience something on the scale of that.

I wonder what kind of degrees I would need to be even considered to help in the production of that company.

Jong,

I washed my car today as well in 50 degree weather, and aside from my power washer being broken (theres gotta be an air leak in the hose as it won't hold pressure), I was able to wash comfortably because...
I filled up my buckets with warm water from inside the house. LOL. Seriously, its the only way to do it unless you want to be in pain like you were.

I washed today to do a paint correction on some piano black trim thats swirled. Wow what a waste of time that was. I polished out most of the swirls and proceed to wipe off the excess polish, and what happens, my microfiber towel is scratching up the finish as I'm wiping off the polish. The towel was freshly washed too.

After doing some reading I've found out that piano black is an extremely soft finish and scratches very easily with any pressure. I'll be holding off til spring to do this again, but next time I'll be applying one of these fancy new ceramic coatings to have some long term protection. Not exactly sure how I'll be able to wipe off the excess without scratching the finish though...

Anion

LOL.
63? thats hot

Ive washed my car at 35* lmao. That was borderline dangerous. Wore gloves and all too. 45* now my lowest limit

63F ain't hot but when the wind chill and water is in the 40's... that's a totally different story lol.

Last time I washed my car in the super cold, I ended up using a rinseless solution inside my closed garage. I might have to do that again when the temps start dropping to the 40's here in DFW next month.

This is what I want to do for a living. I don't really care if I don't get to drive the cars, just taking doing the photography and filming for the video would be nice.

The work that went into the whole video must have been tremendous. Just a perfect mix of everything that makes a powerful video.

I can only hope that I will be able to experience something on the scale of that.

I wonder what kind of degrees I would need to be even considered to help in the production of that company.

Honestly, it's knowing the right people. Especially in such a ridiculously hard industry to get into.

I did Radio/TV in college and the only way I could easily find work is moving out of Dallas to the boonies up in Wisconsin or Montana where a TV station is more than willing to hire fresh out of school grads. I was gonna do that at the end of this month but my current boss set out a call for a video editor a few months ago on Facebook, I responded thinking I've got nothing to lose... a few interviews later, I landed the gig.

Fast forward to now, I've been creating mock up UI's of our software(even though I have zero training in graphic design), shooting and editing our videos, learned basic VFX in After Effects, and the photos I've taken of our stuff is going in a brochure that we'll be distributing everywhere.

The only thing even close thing I'm doing now to what I did in college is to shoot and edit video. Everything else I learned on the job lol.

My advice, grab a DSLR and just take pictures and video. All my gear is actually quite cheap, besides my Nikon DSLR which was $500 back in 2012. All the lenses I have for it are old ass legacy Nikon lenses I picked up on eBay for less than $60 bucks. Auto focus doesn't work since they're legacy glass and for some that's a disappointment, but I really don't care since I know how to do manual focus... besides that's important to learn anyway.
The lens I used for the video above and the pics below is a $30 Tokina from eBay lolol.

Either way, just practice and network. Soon enough you'll get enough experience to where you can start getting gigs and getting paid to hit a button lol.

Hahahahahaha that fucking BRZ at 1:05. He must have left his good taste at home.

Yep lol.

That BRZ was the 3rd loudest car I saw there... the other 2 were a pair of C6 'vettes doing the drive by and I was really close to the curb when they passed by... shit was ear-splitting but glorious. That BRZ just sounds like an asshat imo.

That Genesis Coupe I was making fun of the end of the vid and the BRZ were probably the most obnoxious things I've seen there.

Anyway, time for some pics!

And my favorite car that I took a picture of, mainly because of how clean it looked:

Top Bottom