• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

strafer

Mr Freeze DLC is pretty much a given now.

9K5h6ZZ.jpg

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Nice. Definitely looking forward to it.

Who voiced him in Arkham City? RIP Michael Ansara. :(

I guess that image is a bit better than the invite from New Years Eve as it pretty much confirms Mr Freeze, but I would have preferred a teaser trailer with date at the least.

I hope they create a unique boss fight for Freeze and don't try to ape too much from Arkham City. It would be great if they used the snow tracks Batman leaves when he walks around on roof tops as a way for Freeze to track Batman or for Batman to lure Freeze into an attack.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I guess that image is a bit better than the invite from New Years Eve as it pretty much confirms Mr Freeze, but I would have preferred a teaser trailer with date at the least.

I hope they create a unique boss fight for Freeze and don't try to ape too much from Arkham City. It would be great if they used the snow tracks Batman leaves when he walks around on roof tops as a way for Freeze to track Batman or for Batman to lure Freeze into an attack.

Yeah but I loved Freeze's adaptation to your tactics in AC. Someone WAAAAY earlier in the thread was right that the final Bane fight in AO, though sort of recalling the Freeze fight, didn't quite live up.

I am hopeful for this one. I honestly still have to play Initiation, because meh challenge maps.

I wonder if it'll include some explanation for all the giant ice blocks/people frozen in giant ice blocks that are dotted all over the place.

I remember hoping that Freeze might put in an appearance, after seeing the state of the Steel Mill and thinking "I know it's supposed to be December and there's a big blizzard, but this shit doesn't form like this naturally".

stn

Just beat it this, very solid game! Left a bit to be desired, was a copy-paste of the previous Arkham games. Still, enjoyed it quite a bit since it is related to Batman. Question: the Black Mask challenge maps, do they allow you to play as him?

Jintor

By the way, was there a way to unlock the Bruce Wayne skin for Arkham City (or Origins)?

I would really have visually enjoyed just vanilla Bruce Wayne kicking the shit out of goons. And inexplicably gliding through the air, that would've been nice.

Wish there was a way to hide his eyes. Batman TAS white eyes is best batman eyes.

strobogo

Banned
NG+ is no joke. I wish I had realized the challenge shit went on a track instead of just unlocking them when you do them. No way I'm going to get the silent predator ones, though. Is the Initiation DLC actual story or just challenge maps?

Lima

NG+ is no joke. I wish I had realized the challenge shit went on a track instead of just unlocking them when you do them. No way I'm going to get the silent predator ones, though. Is the Initiation DLC actual story or just challenge maps?

Just 5 challenge maps which have little story text at the loading screens.

Just beat it this, very solid game! Left a bit to be desired, was a copy-paste of the previous Arkham games. Still, enjoyed it quite a bit since it is related to Batman. Question: the Black Mask challenge maps, do they allow you to play as him?

The Black Mask Challenge maps just give you two new maps (one predator and one combat) that can be used by Batman, Deathstroke and Bruce. Nothing too special IMO. The Predator maps is from the Steel Mill and the combat map I cannot even remember.

I encountered a new problem over the holiday. The game reset the stats of my weapons on online mode. It's weird since everything else stayed the same. I kept my overall levels for each faction, I kept the stuff I got from the penguin store, I kept the equipment my characters already had. I heard of this happening before, but thought it was already patched out quickly after release.

olimpia84

I got this for the Wii U recently and I'm having a ton of fun. I know a lot of people complain about this game being more about the same but that's a plus for me since I loved the first two games :p

strobogo

Banned
Is there a site with all the Gotham intel? Not a walk through, but the actual words for each of the files. I completed the game and NG+ and I have zero desire to look for all the Anarky symbols or architect dude plaques, but I would like to read the files.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Was planning on grabbing this for the U, as I'd rather lose the online and put my $10 savings towards the season pass (sucker for those costumes). Checked the Eurogamer Face Off, and was surprised to see it came up as the worst version.

Just wondering what U owners thought of the game? Gamepad make up for the shortcomings? I'm itching for some more Batman action, and I like the idea of a younger, possibly meaner Batman.

JakeD

i booted this up for the first time in a month or 2, and it all of a sudden is running like crap. the AA setting was randomly turned up, but even after turning it down it seems to still run worse than it used to. theres probably been a patch or 2 since the last time i played. anyone else notice this?

edit: after fiddling with the settings and playing for awhile, it seems VSync now causes an unbearable stutter. getting great performance with it turned off, even though it's tearing like crazy. weird because it never bothered me for the first 9 hours of play..

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Was planning on grabbing this for the U, as I'd rather lose the online and put my $10 savings towards the season pass (sucker for those costumes). Checked the Eurogamer Face Off, and was surprised to see it came up as the worst version.

Just wondering what U owners thought of the game? Gamepad make up for the shortcomings? I'm itching for some more Batman action, and I like the idea of a younger, possibly meaner Batman.

In practice, the performance of the game isn't very different from the PS3 version. As for Wii U features, it depends on how important off screen play is for you. This particular game plays well on the U pad, not too condensed.

The second screen stuff is used for a real time map with waypoint setting and for some of the detective scenes. Having the map always up is fairly useful and the detective stuff is pretty atmospheric.

ironcreed

Banned
I just signed back up to Gamefly and got this. Loving it way more than I thought I would. The combat seems faster somehow and I dig it.

AniHawk

i was surprised the hotel was not the finale of this game. i really can't believe this is still happening. it feels wrong.

i'll put more time into it tonight. i think i'm enjoying it more than the general consensus among game critics, but not a whole lot more.

Well I'm about to start playing the game, but I have two questions, do I need to create a WB account in order to play the game? And is still available the promo that if you create your WB account they will give you the Batman 1 million dollar suit?

Thank you!

So enjoying this though for some reason the gameplay doesn't feel as smooth when moving around the city, it seems like there is tons of stuff batman should be able to get past or walk over easily but you constantly are hitting invisible walls or your grappling hook can't attach to many places that dont make sense.

Also is it just me, or does this Arkham toss you into constant fights with massive groups of henchmen? In the previous games you could often skip, stealth, or they were not as frequent. In this one, it feels like I'm constantly in one giant brawl over and over again for any single task, often being unavoidable too.

JakeD

So enjoying this though for some reason the gameplay doesn't feel as smooth when moving around the city, it seems like there is tons of stuff batman should be able to get past or walk over easily but you constantly are hitting invisible walls or your grappling hook can't attach to many places that dont make sense.

Also is it just me, or does this Arkham toss you into constant fights with massive groups of henchmen? In the previous games you could often skip, stealth, or they were not as frequent. In this one, it feels like I'm constantly in one giant brawl over and over again for any single task, often being unavoidable too.

i agree on all counts. i also hate how they have you open a door into a predator room. doesn't feel very batman-ish to walk in the damn front door.

i mean at the end of the day the combat is the best part of the game but at least give me the illusion that stealth is an option

strobogo

Banned
It's really weird going back to Asylum right after playing Origins. I didn't realize the change between City and Aslyum was as big as it was.

i agree on all counts. i also hate how they have you open a door into a predator room. doesn't feel very batman-ish to walk in the damn front door.

i mean at the end of the day the combat is the best part of the game but at least give me the illusion that stealth is an option

Yea so many areas you just essentially walk into a horde of bad guys, or at least you had a stealth approach to start the fight. And all the side content is covered in goons as well. The density of bad guys in this game is insane. Later in game now and suddenly there's even more bad guys and tons of snipers everywhere. Makes getting anywhere annoying as heck. I just played City about a month before this and the game was far less padded with bad guy swarms.

SJRB

Gold Member
Yea so many areas you just essentially walk into a horde of bad guys, or at least you had a stealth approach to start the fight. And all the side content is covered in goons as well. The density of bad guys in this game is insane. Later in game now and suddenly there's even more bad guys and tons of snipers everywhere. Makes getting anywhere annoying as heck. I just played City about a month before this and the game was far less padded with bad guy swarms.

The insane amount of snipers on rooftops really soured me on casually playing this game to freeroam a bit. The snipers and the large amount of non-grapple buildings make freeroaming way more annoying than it should be.

One of the issues I'm having fairly regularly is when fighting henchmen/women, the finishing move screen comes up, but there's still another person that either runs up behind me and punches me, or is just standing there in a fight pose not able to be engaged. The latter happened to me twice during the ranked combat maps yesterday, more than a little aggravating.

Jintor

The only henchwomen are those ninjas from the League. And copperhead I guess. I have to say I rather like their implementation of Copperhead, way better than the D-grade lamer that was on Justice League Unlimited.

Fuck snipers.

strobogo

Banned
Playing Origins/Asylum/City all together in a short time makes me feel there was no planning put towards making a cohesive universe or story. Each game contradicts the others. Asylum is the most odd one out, but Origins doesn't feel like the same group of characters as they'd appear in the other two games. And the ever present trope of a prequel having more high tech stuff than the later games.

lordkosc

So this is interesting, I went back to the batcave just after finishing the Enigma stuff, and the Batmobile is missing...?

Is it missing for anyone else? Or is my game just bugged out?

CF07473F770D621C1DD6F91EFDE616251D1154E8

I really wish you could get a new suit when you go to the Batcave, instead of tooling around the city with that holey cape all the time. It's right there when it comes up out of the floor!

Imbarkus

I really wish you could get a new suit when you go to the Batcave, instead of tooling around the city with that holey cape all the time. It's right there when it comes up out of the floor!

Yeah really a problem with all of the games. Remember the two giant slits up the side in Arkham Asylum? Ugh.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
While progressing in the story, I am more than ok with the ripped cape, but I would really love if I could change into a new one in the Endgame.

Sober

While progressing in the story, I am more than ok with the ripped cape, but I would really love if I could change into a new one in the Endgame.
Finish all the Dark Knight challenges and get the superior version of the AO Batsuit.

Except in story mode the cape is all fine but the armour damage is still all there.

Joei

So I finally popped this game in the other night and so far it seems ok. I'm still near the beginning and just met with
Penguin's arms dealer
. I was able to do a few Riddler data packs and move around the city for an hour or so. One thing I noticed is that everything looks the same. :/ That was a complaint I had in AC, but at least there seemed to be a little variety. My goodness with this game though. I went towards the bottom of the map back up across the bridge and it was like I was going through a copy/paste city. There looks like a lot of things to do though. The game seems more "vertical." I'm hoping that's the case.

Also, when I was in the first section, I noticed an error on the calendars. Some of them had Christmas on a Wednesday and some of the calendars had Christmas on a Sunday. Very, very weird mistake.

Anyone got any tips for Batmans combat challenges? It seems no matter what I do I can't get higher than 2 medals. I try to vary all my moves and use gadgets, never get hit, entire round in one freeflow combo and I still run short.

I've 1000/1000 Arkham Asylum, 1500/1500 Arkham City and only have a couple of predator challenges to 1000/1000 AA:GotY. I've even recently utterly defeated Arkham City Armoured Edition on the Wii U (it was only a tenner brand new).

I played through Arkham origins on Hard Mode for my first playthrough (it was a mistake, but I ran with it) and finished NG+, yet the one thing I found the easiest with all the other Arkham games (Combat Challenges) are utterly defeating me.

I've looked on YouTube for some strategies, and it seems the key is to build up a big combo and then take down as many thugs as possible with a Ground Pound.

Easier said than done, unfortunately.

Psykoboy2

Knife takedowns are essential, plus I try to do as many cape stun beat downs as I can since those seem to be the next highest multiplier (50x - 100x for the knife ones).

Here's a few vids on my twitch channel where I get all three medals.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've looked on YouTube for some strategies, and it seems the key is to build up a big combo and then take down as many thugs as possible with a Ground Pound.

That's exact strategy I've used in every single Arkham game. Lots of evades, cape stuns and making sure you use ALL of the moves available. The explosives give you some pretty sweet points in Origins. Not getting hit or not breaking your combo through all four rounds grants you series points too.

Knife takedowns are essential, plus I try to do as many cape stun beat downs as I can since those seem to be the next highest multiplier (50x - 100x for the knife ones).

Here's a few vids on my twitch channel where I get all three medals.

Didn't realise that Knife Takedowns gave so many points... probably because it's the single hardest move in the game to me, lol.

That's exact strategy I've used in every single Arkham game. Lots of evades, cape stuns and making sure you use ALL of the moves available. The explosives give you some pretty sweet points in Origins. Not getting hit or not breaking your combo through all four rounds grants you series points too.

It seems that using the quickfire explosive gel is the best way to knock enough thugs down in order to get a decent amount of ground takedowns. Unfortunately it's also the hardest quickfire gadget to use without fluffing your combo, as far as I'm concerned.

Guess the lesson here is to keep practicing with knife takedowns and explosive gelling.

Tsukumo

Anyone got any tips for Batmans combat challenges? It seems no matter what I do I can't get higher than 2 medals. I try to vary all my moves and use gadgets, never get hit, entire round in one freeflow combo and I still run short.

I've 1000/1000 Arkham Asylum, 1500/1500 Arkham City and only have a couple of predator challenges to 1000/1000 AA:GotY. I've even recently utterly defeated Arkham City Armoured Edition on the Wii U (it was only a tenner brand new).

I played through Arkham origins on Hard Mode for my first playthrough (it was a mistake, but I ran with it) and finished NG+, yet the one thing I found the easiest with all the other Arkham games (Combat Challenges) are utterly defeating me.

Build up your combo and spam bat-swarm as soon as you get the chance. Even if you won't clear much points in the first two rounds, the last two will give you probably DOUBLE the score you need for the medals. Bat swarm does minimal damage, so you will be able to use it many times on groups bigger than six-seven thugs. Use ground takedown on the last two or three enemies.
NEVER activate the electric gauntlets, as they do uber-damage and damage over time.
Easy way to rank up point with gel explosives:
wait until you have only three, two enemies. Start a beatdown: the cape stun will get you close, the first punch will get you closer. After the first punch, evade away from him with a gel-explosive quickfire (you can actually direct the cartwheel in the direction you prefer) and then pop the gel. Keep somersaulting over the other enemy until the thug you downed wakes up, rinse and repeat.
1- gel explosions don't do ANY damage
2- they give 25 points score-multiplier per hit.

Joei

Well, I've been playing this game and am at 26% right now. I'm really, really enjoying it, even more than AC. The combat, though, seems a bit more difficult and loose I guess. I was generally pretty good at the first two games, able to do all the challenge maps, but I can't even get past two stars on the first one, lol. I read the above comments and will have to practice some more.

As for the game, I realize I'm really early, but I already like the areas I've went through,
GCPD, sewers, boat
, more than the areas in AC. They're about on par with AA. (Actually, I really hope that after this game they go back to the linear nature of AA, though I doubt that will happen and that's another discussion for another day.) The story also seems better than what AC had to deliver, although I'm sure that could change drastically for the better or worse. I like Batman's characterization in this a lot so far and want to see how it plays out throughout the game. I'm very curious as to why this got as bad a scores as it did.

Right now, I typically do the investigations as they pop up and do as much of the Most Wanted as they come up as well. I completed
Penguin and Anarchy and I'm currently on Mad Hatter
. Should I hold off on the investigations or Most Wanted in regards to unlocking stuff? In fact, is there anything I should hold off on or be wary of as I go through the game in terms of unlocking stuff? And I'm sure I'm fairly far away on this, but how's the DLC in this game?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I've been playing this game and am at 26% right now. I'm really, really enjoying it, even more than AC. The combat, though, seems a bit more difficult and loose I guess. I was generally pretty good at the first two games, able to do all the challenge maps, but I can't even get past two stars on the first one, lol. I read the above comments and will have to practice some more.

You'll find that's the case until you unlock the majority of the moves. It was a shock to the system for me too.

Tsukumo

As for the game, I realize I'm really early, but I already like the areas I've went through,
GCPD, sewers, boat
, more than the areas in AC. They're about on par with AA. (Actually, I really hope that after this game they go back to the linear nature of AA, though I doubt that will happen and that's another discussion for another day.) The story also seems better than what AC had to deliver, although I'm sure that could change drastically for the better or worse. I like Batman's characterization in this a lot so far and want to see how it plays out throughout the game. I'm very curious as to why this got as bad a scores as it did.

Right now, I typically do the investigations as they pop up and do as much of the Most Wanted as they come up as well. I completed
Penguin and Anarchy and I'm currently on Mad Hatter
. Should I hold off on the investigations or Most Wanted in regards to unlocking stuff? In fact, is there anything I should hold off on or be wary of as I go through the game in terms of unlocking stuff? And I'm sure I'm fairly far away on this, but how's the DLC in this game?

Just in case: the best way (if not the only way) to use the electric gauntlets is to activate them when you do knife takedowns. Since the gauntlets give you double the hits, a knife takedown counts as 3 hits which is a pretty big boost. You do this at the end of a match, with 5 or 6 enemies, and you will make thousands of points even with a low combo count. This of course requires to be well-versed in knife takedowns, but since there's a training mode it shouldn't be too much of an hassle to learn to perform them consistently.

stn

I enjoyed this game quite a bit, more of the same was fine for me. I was even happy to continue doing the cases and side-quests after beating the game. Then I got hit with the corrupt save bug. Given that they're taking the time to introduce new DLC, how about they fix all the bugs first?

JakeD

i posted earlier in this thread about how if you don't get step 2 of the "worst nightmare" challenges early (complete predator encounter unseen), it gets ridiculously tough to do it later on

well i finally got it, the predator encounter with
bane's henchman right before the bane fight

the best part is - i get down to 1 guy left, and the game freezes. i'm pissed and vowing to never play the game again. i stand up to do a hard reset, and it unfreezes and i'm able to finish. so satisfying.

being so pissed i never want to play it again to being absolutely in love with the gameplay in like 30 seconds, pretty much this game in a microcosm

Just finished this after getting it around Christmas. I really enjoyed the story. It was a little slow to get going but once it got going, it was a very solid Batman story. Better than City and Asylum, I'd say.

As much as I love Conroy and Hammill, whoever the new voice actors were did an exceptional job. I even loved how they had Harvey Bullock from TAS. Although Gordon's voice sounded wrong. I'm pretty sure his voice actor was somebody in Skyrim, right? Sounded weird the whole time through.

So story wise I really enjoyed it but gameplay wise I wish they did something different. The combat and all was still good but I guess I just wish the gameplay and the levels felt more unique. It never really felt like a prequel Batman since you were basically using the same gadgets from City and alot of the areas felt the same as City. Then again, the Christmas theme over everything was great.

I really liked the character designs in Origins too. Joker, Croc, Bane- they all looked so much better than how they looked in the Rocksteady games. Even when
Bane goes all super huge from the venom, while I still think that looks silly, it works for the Arkham games, considering Bane's look in Asylum and City.

Playing on the PC though, it felt like some of the textures were really bad. A lot of the environment textures were just blurry messes.

Yeah, the texture pop and framerate issues (on the 360) marred an otherwise excellent game. I really enjoyed moving around an un-destroyed Gotham.

Top Bottom