• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
hmm this game is really good... It's got the open world elements of City, but the focus of Asylum in the narrative. I'm enjoying it way more than City, it's like night and day. I just
solved the double murder case and I'm now looking for the Joker.

I hope to stick around for all the side missions. Already did Anarky, next up is Mad Hatter. All the Riddler stuff is looking kinda tedious.

Psykoboy2

All the Riddler stuff is looking kinda tedious.

You should probably do the side missions when you can. The story in this game speeds up dramatically after the hotel section. It'll go by quick. Also, yeah, Riddler stuff is tedious and the payoff is pretty meh, but I will say that it isn't NEAR as tedious as it was in City.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You should probably do the side missions when you can. The story in this game speeds up dramatically after the hotel section. It'll go by quick. Also, yeah, Riddler stuff is tedious and the payoff is pretty meh, but I will say that it isn't NEAR as tedious as it was in City.

I just made it to the hotel. How far along am I in the main story? Don't mind short campaigns at all. I can still do all the side stuff after I finish right?

Psykoboy2

I just made it to the hotel. How far along am I in the main story? Don't mind short campaigns at all. I can still do all the side stuff after I finish right?

You'll be MORE than halfway through once you finish the hotel section. And yeah, you can totally do all the side stuff afterwards. I just get them done as soon as I can cause the city gets more populated with snipers and guys with guns as the game progresses. That and I have a weird thing where once I finish a game, I lack a lot of motivation to finish off side missions - but that's just me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yeah, about those snipers... That just happened. Crap, so these guys stay for the rest of the game? Bah, always hate when things like that happen.

The entire hotel section was incredible, including the
red hood flashback

Yeah, about those snipers... That just happened. Crap, so these guys stay for the rest of the game? Bah, always hate when things like that happen.

You're gonna love the Diamond District/GCHQ from this point on.

And by "love", I mean "GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! How'd that fucker see and shoot me through a building!?!!!"

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the main game. Loved it, definitely right behind AA for me. I'll go back later for the remaining cases and Riddler stuff. A screen from one of my favorite moments.

There's one more missing criminal in my list, but I got the achievement for getting all assassins earlier... Do I still need to trigger that last one?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Finished the main game. Loved it, definitely right behind AA for me. I'll go back later for the remaining cases and Riddler stuff. A screen from one of my favorite moments.

There's one more missing criminal in my list, but I got the achievement for getting all assassins earlier... Do I still need to trigger that last one?

IIRC that fills is with Arkham Criminals from Blackgate who have to be captured after you complete enough of the others that Gordon trusts you with it.

Started "I am The Night" mode yesterday, as my friend recently got Origins for his birthday and it reminded me that I hadn't done it yet. I deftly managed to remind him about the Season Pass being on sale for 6 quid or so in order to save him a bit of cash on Cold, Cold Heart (that's due to drop today or tomorrow, isn't it?). Looking forward to some more single player goodness. Not even touched the multiplayer yet.

Unlike the other 3 attempts I made at IATN, I actually made it past Killer Croc this time. In fact, I'm currently battling Firefly, thanks to the "quit to dashboard" exploit. It's seriously the only way I could have managed to get through. I are ashamed :(

Surprisingly enough, my hardest fight was Deathstroke so far. Only took me two goes to get past Bane (which I was seriously dreading).

Actually feel I should clean up on it tonight. Shame about the "Worst Nightmare" skin being patched out. I would have loved to have played through as that monstrosity.

EDIT
Cold, Cold Heart is OUT NOW.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Started "I am The Night" mode yesterday, as my friend recently got Origins for his birthday and it reminded me that I hadn't done it yet. I deftly managed to remind him about the Season Pass being on sale for 6 quid or so in order to save him a bit of cash on Cold, Cold Heart (that's due to drop today or tomorrow, isn't it?). Looking forward to some more single player goodness. Not even touched the multiplayer yet.

Unlike the other 3 attempts I made at IATN, I actually made it past Killer Croc this time. In fact, I'm currently battling Firefly, thanks to the "quit to dashboard" exploit. It's seriously the only way I could have managed to get through. I are ashamed :(

Surprisingly enough, my hardest fight was Deathstroke so far. Only took me two goes to get past Bane (which I was seriously dreading).

Actually feel I should clean up on it tonight. Shame about the "Worst Nightmare" skin being patched out. I would have loved to have played through as that monstrosity.

EDIT
Cold, Cold Heart is OUT NOW.

yeah, the Bane fights are the hardest part of the game due to the camera often causing you to evade into his charge attacks. Getting charged causes such massive damage.

problem with Bane wasn't the camera, it was the stupid goons physics 'blocking' you so you can't dodge away.

I took advantage of the temporary invincibility gained by evading over a normal enemy. Whenever Bane was charging I'd run towards the nearest goon and evade over him. Usually Bane would be coming right at me and take out the goon as I was vaulting over him. If going for a goon would cause Bane to smack me around I'd just wait for Bane to start running and do a last minute dive in whichever direction had the most room. He never touched me once after that.

Also, I kinda felt like an idiot as I didn't realise before, but you deal with Bane a lot quicker if you just avoid him, focus on smacking the goons a bit till you get your multiplier up and then use a takedown. 9 times out of 10 Bats would slide on over to Bane and do the takedown on him instead of the nearest goon.

anyone mess with the dlc yet?

curious how fat batman works. hope he has new animations or him flipping around would look even more mad silly.

I'll be home in an hour and will download it while I'm having dinner... don't really want to touch it till I'm done with IATN though, seeing how close I am to finishing it. If I get done in time I'll be having a go, though.

oddjobs

Played this for a bit until I got (again) frustrated with one of those bigger melee fights (due to the shitty fighting system in AO)

Downloaded "Cold, Cold Heart" and ran through it. Overall, I thought it was OK. The three big things of note that were added to this game were ice beam enemies, heat batarangs (which allowed you to interact with stalactites and unfreezing vantage points) and frozen walls(which cannot be blown up with gel). The new suit is mostly an aesthetic change where heat batarangs are the only real "change."

I am most disappointed in the fact that there are no challenge maps added that I could do post game. It appears that I have to play the whole game again If I want to do the predator stuff again. I understand that they are pretty much restricted to the XE suit due to the general nature of the ice motif, but I enjoy playing those maps more than the main campaign itself. There are some tag side missions again and as far as I can tell there is no way to tell what you have already tagged so you are always rechecking to see if you already got it.

I am not sure how I would compare this to Harley Quinn's Revenge as it has been a long time since I played it, but I think I enjoyed it a bit more since it mixed up the gameplay a little bit since playing as Robin in a cut off section of Arkham City felt refreshing.

Also, whoever thought that it was a good idea to have that frost on screen the whole time in that one building has my ire.

johngie

Neo Member
Downloaded "Cold, Cold Heart" and ran through it. Overall, I thought it was OK. The three big things of note that were added to this game were ice beam enemies, heat batarangs (which allowed you to interact with stalactites and unfreezing vantage points) and frozen walls(which cannot be blown up with gel). The new suit is mostly an aesthetic change where heat batarangs are the only real "change."

I am most disappointed in the fact that there are no challenge maps added that I could do post game. It appears that I have to play the whole game again If I want to do the predator stuff again. I understand that they are pretty much restricted to the XE suit due to the general nature of the ice motif, but I enjoy playing those maps more than the main campaign itself. There are some tag side missions again and as far as I can tell there is no way to tell what you have already tagged so you are always rechecking to see if you already got it.

I am not sure how I would compare this to Harley Quinn's Revenge as it has been a long time since I played it, but I think I enjoyed it a bit more since it mixed up the gameplay a little bit since playing as Robin in a cut off section of Arkham City felt refreshing.

Also, whoever thought that it was a good idea to have that frost on screen the whole time in that one building has my ire.

Does the fat suit become available for the regular single player campaign or challenge maps?

Finished IATN mode last night and dove into the new DLC immediately. The only thing I really disliked about Cold, Cold Heart was more fucking Anarky tags.

You spend more than enough time in all the Arkham games running around with detective vision on as it is, without being forced to do it to find collectables that affect upgrades. I'm kinda sick of a blue shapeless city.

Found 9 of them and called it a day.

Finished IATN mode last night and dove into the new DLC immediately. The only thing I really disliked about Cold, Cold Heart was more fucking Anarky tags.

You spend more than enough time in all the Arkham games running around with detective vision on as it is, without being forced to do it to find collectables that affect upgrades. I'm kinda sick of a blue shapeless city.

Found 9 of them and called it a day.

wait the dlc has upgrades? don't see any skill trees.

Does the fat suit become available for the regular single player campaign or challenge maps?

Nope.

wait the dlc has upgrades? don't see any skill trees.

There are upgrade associated with getting the collectibles. If you go to the map screen you will see your progress on the collectibles and a symbol representing what will be upgraded when you complete the scavenger hunt. I really cannot see why these upgrades would be necessary/desirable as you would probably had completed the main campaign by the time you get around to doing all the side stuff. The post game content is just the collectibles and fighting the snipers/random gangs that apparently haven't died down since the X-Mas events a few days earlier in the story.

I encountered a fairly minor/major glitch depending on your views on trophies/achievements. I finally found all the anarky tags after zig-zagging the area a couple of times, but I didn't get the trophy associated with it. I noticed someone else on Gamefaqs had something similar on the 360 with both the Anarky tags and unfreezing all the civilians. I was able to get the unfreezing trophy no problem. I believe there were glitched trophies/achievements when the Bruce Wayne DLC came out a few months ago.

There are upgrade associated with getting the collectibles. If you go to the map screen you will see your progress on the collectibles and a symbol representing what will be upgraded when you complete the scavenger hunt. I really cannot see why these upgrades would be necessary/desirable as you would probably had completed the main campaign by the time you get around to doing all the side stuff. The post game content is just the collectibles and fighting the snipers/random gangs that apparently haven't died down since the X-Mas events a few days earlier in the story.

True, although it's worth getting the Anarky gangs out the way for the quickfire thermo-batarangs... especially for the last fight.

The upgrade symbols on the progress bars are totally useless as there's no real indication of what you'll unlock, or indeed that you'd unlock anything until it happens. I can't even remember what the other two upgrades were.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
True, although it's worth getting the Anarky gangs out the way for the quickfire thermo-batarangs... especially for the last fight.

The upgrade symbols on the progress bars are totally useless as there's no real indication of what you'll unlock, or indeed that you'd unlock anything until it happens. I can't even remember what the other two upgrades were.

Well one of them must have been some way to Explosive Gel those ice walls because they are pretty useless otherwise...

Imbarkus

Nope... the ability to get rid of the ice walls is built into the new suit.

Yeah you mean the story obstacles.

I mean like the ones in the final boss room which show up on detective vision like walls you would blow up with the gel. I never got a prompt to break them by standing next to them, and they look like they are there to explode onto guys. *shrug*

These Anarky tags don't even come with the text blurb of vitriol the ones in the main game did... just no fun collecting them at all...

Psykoboy2

I only lack ONE of those stupid tags. Going to wait for a guide or something on youtube to figure out where it is. I hate traveling through the city in detective vision. Ugh.

Sober

I mean like the ones in the final boss room which show up on detective vision like walls you would blow up with the gel. I never got a prompt to break them by standing next to them, and they look like they are there to explode onto guys. *shrug*
No, they have to be right up close for it to work. Just think of it like a wooden wall takedown, basically, except you can't punch through the wall normally for fun or anything.

These Anarky tags don't even come with the text blurb of vitriol the ones in the main game did... just no fun collecting them at all...

Agreed. There's no point to them other than unlocking some kind of unneeded upgrade and forcing the player into gliding around a blue landscape, rather than the nice dusky orange one covered in ice.

I only lack ONE of those stupid tags. Going to wait for a guide or something on youtube to figure out where it is. I hate traveling through the city in detective vision. Ugh.

I was in the same boat and ended up using a guide on Youtube. There's a few up already.

Imbarkus

Agreed. There's no point to them other than unlocking some kind of unneeded upgrade and forcing the player into gliding around a blue landscape, rather than the nice dusky orange one covered in ice.

I did like what they did with the city and the skybox. Very different feel from the main game, a bit more colorful, more outlandish, slightly more comic book with the purple and orange. But like you said most will barely see it as they travel around in detective mode looking for those tags.

But I will always dislike the "it's too cold and windy over here for Batman" invisible wall thing, and with this suit on it makes absolutely no sense. I hope Rocksteady comes up with something different for invisible walls for the next entry.

Freeze was a hard fight. Pretty good dlc overall, throws Harley Quinn's dlc in the trash. The suits they design for these games are so good.

I'd love a multi part DLC for the Court of Owls in Arkham Knight, or one for Red Hood.

yeah no clue why batman's suit isn't normal build especially because they don't give him new animations, does the new suit prevent batman from being frozen?

yeah no clue why batman's suit isn't normal build especially because they don't give him new animations, does the new suit prevent batman from being frozen?

Nope, but I do think it reduces the damage from being frozen. Might make it take slightly longer to be frozen than normal too, but I hopped around too much to let it happen more than once.

But I will always dislike the "it's too cold and windy over here for Batman" invisible wall thing, and with this suit on it makes absolutely no sense. I hope Rocksteady comes up with something different for invisible walls for the next entry.

I noticed that last night as well. I think an actual invisible wall would have looked less ridiculous than Batman walking a couple of feet from the foundation of the bridge only to find gale force winds that push him back but go no further than that point.

I did a second playthrough this afternoon to get the last couple of trophies I missed and cannot be gotten once you have completed the story (freeze three enemies at once using a cryotank and do three ice wall takedowns). I noticed something strange in both my playthroughs that I forgot to mention in my original post. Right before starting the final boss fight I got a screen that said "recovery complete" in red letters in front of the Arkham Series logo. It flashes for just a second, but it happened in both playthroughs. I was wondering if anyone else noticed this as well.

If anyone is wondering the three upgrades are
Thermal Batarang - Doesn't need to charge to heat up
Thermal Glove upgrade - no idea (maybe charge faster in melee?)
Ice Break Shockwave - Breaking out of ice will release a shockwave that briefly stuns enemies around you

I did a second playthrough this afternoon to get the last couple of trophies I missed and cannot be gotten once you have completed the story (freeze three enemies at once using a cryotank and do three ice wall takedowns).

I got that achievement completely by accident in the ballroom at the end of Wayne Manor when I was hopping over goons. One of the armoured freeze dudes was shooting at me and hit about 4 goons instead... achievement unlocked :-D

With regards to the challenge mode in this game, my experience so far has been the polar opposite to my experiences with Asylum and City. In those two, I'd get the combat challenges out the way first as they were the easiest, and then do the predator ones (pausing occasionally to look up a strategy on YouTube for any I was having articular difficulty with).

In Origins, however, I've so far had NO problems with the predator challenges whatsoever (still yet to unlock the extreme variants), but the combat challenges are sooo difficult to get a high score. You really have to rely on doing one flowing combo and use as many variations and gadgets as possible to get anywhere near the 3rd medal.

Not really looking forward to having to do the campaign challenges, considering the amount of retries I've been putting into the single combat challenges.

Tsukumo

With regards to the challenge mode in this game, my experience so far has been the polar opposite to my experiences with Asylum and City. In those two, I'd get the combat challenges out the way first as they were the easiest, and then do the predator ones (pausing occasionally to look up a strategy on YouTube for any I was having articular difficulty with).

In Origins, however, I've so far had NO problems with the predator challenges whatsoever (still yet to unlock the extreme variants), but the combat challenges are sooo difficult to get a high score. You really have to rely on doing one flowing combo and use as many variations and gadgets as possible to get anywhere near the 3rd medal.

Not really looking forward to having to do the campaign challenges, considering the amount of retries I've been putting into the single combat challenges.

spam bat-swarm. Don't activate the gauntlets.
Also, prepare yourself psychologically listening to this beforehand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa4KrpW2MHs

Cold, Cold Heart was good. I'd be fine with DLC side stories like this rather than cramming every villain into the main game in obtuse ways or really small side missions. If side missions for villains in Arkham Knight could be as substantial as this was, then that'd be fine too.

WB Montreal knocked this out of the park. This managed to be more fun, challenging and climactic than Harley Quinn's Revenge. This is the kind of content I hope for when developers mention "episodic DLC." It felt like playing a good episode of a Batman show.

I got through it and enjoyed it but damn was it buggy. I couldn't finish the Anarky side quest because I accidentally followed the map marker thinking that the green exclamation mark was where the second thing I had to defuse was, but actually it was a quest item. I picked it up with 5 seconds to spare on the clock... only to go "OH SHIT IT JUST AUTOSAVED" as the bomb went off and I failed. Then the game reloaded the last autosave...........

Luckily it didn't get stuck in an infinite loop, but it did bug out and I couldn't rescue any ice victims in the overworld because Batman would say "lol I have to defuse the bomb first". Except you can't re-trigger the bomb quest. FFS.

Finally got round to doing the last 2 extreme predator rooms in Arkham Asylum GOTY the other day, and am now on my last Campaign challenge (3x extreme predator rooms) for Batman in Origins.

All I need to do is the Bruce Wayne versions of EVERYTHING and then I'll only be left with the multiplayer, which I have no real interest in at all but seeing how I have all achievements in Arkham Asylum, Asylum GOTY and City, it would be a shame not to clean up in Origins too. Guess I'll have to head over to Trueachievements or something for that.

I'll do Blackgate too, but I'll get that if it goes on sale as I already have it for my 3DS.

Some of the extreme campaigns have been a massive pain in the arse. Having to choose between not being able to do special moves in a combat challenge (totally breaking the method I've been using) or not being able to do a silent takedown in a predator challenge really screws with you!!!

Kabuto

I was trying to do Worst Nightmare #14 (Eliminate 3 enemies using a propane tank.) on my I Am The Night run and died...

I was at the part before the Bane hotel battle :[

Oh and I turned off PhysX while having everything else on max settings; game runs so much better.

Top Bottom