• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

jmizzal

Anyone with a BB open now better do it within 30 minutes... The Best Buy's near me love to call into corporate and kill these deals.

I know dont know why people keep thinking they are gonna kill the deal, its not a glitch and people are not flipping to another store, its their deal, its in their terms and conditions.

I'm sure BB is loving getting all these gamers to buy from BB now

Fnord

Did it about an hour ago. Worked like a champ. No idea what I'm doing with this phone, though. I did toss in an extra $5 to St. Judes.

I updated the OP with a list of all the games that have the $10 Rewards Certificate for preordering. I also added a link to the Best Buy site that has the games for the $10 Preorder Promotion since the list could change.

BumRush

Did it about an hour ago. Worked like a champ. No idea what I'm doing with this phone, though. I did toss in an extra $5 to St. Judes.

Throw like a hundred minutes on it and put it in your drawer. Do you think Walter White knew he'd need one when he was teaching chemistry to a bunch of 17 year olds (as an example)?

Psykoboy2

Hahah, this cracked me up. For some reason, I doubt Best Buy, let alone Gamers Club Unlocked will even be around in 2022. Great effort though...love it.

Well, if it is, he's in the clear and if not, he's out $20 from every how many years ago it is when they stop. Seems a sound investment to me.

My thinking is that they'll eventually add another tier to the program. Something you'll have to opt in on for so much money a month or a year to get even more bonuses and deals.

I just got back from the Best Buy at Perimeter in Atlanta and I got the last 14.99 phone. Did the RadioShack PM and donated $5 to St. Jude. The funny thing is the cashier never asked me to donate. I guess she figured I would not donate. She did a second transaction for the donation. Feels good because I rarely catch these deals.

Nice, I was at that one yesterday and did this deal too. Didn't price match though since I didn't know about that at the time.

Just got home from my local Best Buy. One of the employees literally told me I made his day, and said he'd cancel his preorder of Halo from GameStop.

They actually screwed up, though. I took the phone to checkout and the guy there was new, and also an idiot. He said that store policy changed and that I'd have to go to customer service to do a price match. He was wrong.

I went to customer service anyway, had them price match the phone, then traded in my games. I realized when I went to spend the money I got that the extra 10% trade in value didn't take because of reasons. I explained this to the guy I had initially told about the deal, who said that the guys at customer service were full of shit, because they just did it at the mobile phone section, so here's my tip:

Make sure you buy the phone from a mobile phone register. Not customer service, and not regular checkout.

I got the $5 price matched phone, got the 2 years of GCU, and got used copies of Infamous Second Son and MGS V Ground Zeroes for a total of $34.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
wait so its confirmed we can return the phones and still keep the 2 years?!
I seriously wouldn't recommend it. That's the kind of thing that throws up red flags on your accounts. And it's scratching up really close to return fraud to be quite honest.

Frolow

Banned
Did this yesterday and had no problems. Any good deals with GCU going on right now? First time I've had it.

Just got home from my local Best Buy. One of the employees literally told me I made his day, and said he'd cancel his preorder of Halo from GameStop.

They actually screwed up, though. I took the phone to checkout and the guy there was new, and also an idiot. He said that store policy changed and that I'd have to go to customer service to do a price match. He was wrong.

I went to customer service anyway, had them price match the phone, then traded in my games. I realized when I went to spend the money I got that the extra 10% trade in value didn't take because of reasons. I explained this to the guy I had initially told about the deal, who said that the guys at customer service were full of shit, because they just did it at the mobile phone section, so here's my tip:

Make sure you buy the phone from a mobile phone register. Not customer service, and not regular checkout.

I got the $5 price matched phone, got the 2 years of GCU, and got used copies of Infamous Second Son and MGS V Ground Zeroes for a total of $34.

i think thats just your best buy and the new guy cause i did this at 2 diff bestbuys and had no issues to where i had to buy the phones at the mobile. i just acted like it was a normal deal and didnt ask any questions

Price matched with radio shack. $6 and some change. Feels good. And went to Gamestop and got 3 FFXII Limited Edition guess for like $14. Feels güt GAF. Feels real güt.

Edit: It was the the last one too!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Why wouldn't best buy be around?

A couple near me disappeared. GPS took me to one that's now a Halloween City. The Best Buy logo imprint was still clearly visible.

Just so happens that I need a phone. Can someone detail the prices involved? I'm at work and can't click on the links to see the info I need.

So I'd just buy a $15 prepaid phone and $99 to active it one time only? Then I buy minutes from there?

And then I get 20% off of new games and 10% trade in credit at best buy? 10% trade in sounds... low... what's GameStops?

Rhapsody

Banned
Got another two years. However, I couldn't get the price match to five dollars. The lady that worked at the register was new and freaked out at every little thing since it looked suspicious. Got the manager to come by and told me it would be double dipping if I got the deal with the price match.

OraleeWey

Just so happens that I need a phone. Can someone detail the prices involved? I'm at work and can't click on the links to see the info I need.

So I'd just buy a $15 prepaid phone and $99 to active it one time only? Then I buy minutes from there?

And then I get 20% off of new games and 10% trade in credit at best buy? 10% trade in sounds... low... what's GameStops?

Get the phone (LG 440G or AT&T Z222) only the LG 440G can be price matched. Get the card from customer service, or gaming section, or ask for it.

Go to the register, tell them you have a My Rewards zone card.

Give them the card or phone number, then GCU, then phone. Lastly, ask for price match. Just don't worry about it. Give them the phone number first, then the computer will do everything all by itself.

Here's the link. For price match.
http://www.radioshack.com/tracfone-lg440g-no-contract-phone/1708107.html

DrZeus

Hmmm just did this.The associate said they don't stack. So I only bought 1 and I did it at a regular checkout counter. Am I screwed brehs? :/

Got another two years. However, I couldn't get the price match to five dollars. The lady that worked at the register was new and freaked out at every little thing since it looked suspicious. Got the manager to come by and told me it would be double dipping if I got the deal with the price match.

thats super lame

Did this yesterday and had no problems. Any good deals with GCU going on right now? First time I've had it.

Are you interested in any of the games below? A few come out this month. Preorder them in store, or online for shipping or in store pickup, and you will get a $10 rewards certificate in about 3 weeks after you get the game.

That means you pay $48 for the game, plus you get $10 dollars back, basically making the game $38. Then, you can turn around and trade them back in for around $40 a month later and basically get the game for just a few bucks. And continue this over and over and over.

Ass Creed Unity
Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield Hardline
Dying Light
The Elder Scrolls Online
Evolve
Far Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto 4 Remaster
Halo 5 Guardians
Halo Master Chief Collection
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

BumRush

I know dont know why people keep thinking they are gonna kill the deal, its not a glitch and people are not flipping to another store, its their deal, its in their terms and conditions.

I'm sure BB is loving getting all these gamers to buy from BB now

This. This is NOT a glitch or it would've been shut down Sunday.

BumRush

You don't get 10% Letterz, you get an ADDITIONAL 10% trade-in credit on top of what they would've given you (e.g. if you sell a game that would've been $40, they'll give you $44...ya dig?)

BlindRage

Bros it gives you 20% off collectors editions as well. Shits awesome.

I can see it now, in 2022 I'll be getting 20% off the GoW6 xbox2 collectors edition 😂😂

Kodeman

Never heard of this program before. Guess I'll have to find a BB when I get off work. The one closest to my house turned into some Halloween costume store : /

So tempted to get another 2 years... the deal is so good... but I think I'll pass. I don't want to be tied to buying games exclusively from Best Buy for the next 5+ years.

Cashier didn't ask for phone number and I forgot about it until the end of the transaction, so I don't think this worked correctly for me. Gonna try a return/re-buy after work.

Went to two BB to re-up for another 2 years with the Radio Shack PM but neither had the phones. Oh well 2 years is still a pretty long time.

Do they still do the magazine with all the coupons physically or was that something seperste? And do I just look online at me BB account to see my perks?

Price matched to $5. Employee was bumping the Fresh Prince rap at his station and applauded me for, essentially, "sticking it to the man." He then went on a mini-rant about how much Best Buy sucks. Really funny dude. Donated the $10 I got off to St. Judes, thanks for giving me the thought to do that GAF :)

A couple near me disappeared. GPS took me to one that's now a Halloween City. The Best Buy logo imprint was still clearly visible.

Most retail businesses are closing down underperforming stores. It's not a matter of "That company won't be there in 5 years!", it's just a matter of "That area isn't high volume, and if they've already driven out any competition in the surrounding areas, there's no reason to renew that building's lease when its up". Best Buy is actually doing quite well among the non walmart/target retail giants, and is in a position to grow, unlike most others.

A huge part of retail is pushing out your competition. This offer is, truthfully, a very big example of that strategy at work. Does BB need to do some kind of crazy offer like this free GCU deal? Absolutely not. They're not hurting for money, nor are they hurting for customers. What they see is a store that owns a large share of the market that cuts into a sector of their retail struggling, and they've got the means/funds to flush them out. This is a direct "attack" on Gamestop and their PowerUp rewards program. The powerup card is, more or less, the only major advantage Gamestop has over its competition, which is mainly target/walmart/amazon. Best Buy has had the GCU program, but setting the entry price point so high kind of walls off a huge amount of potential buyers. Best Buy's plan here is, truthfully, kinda genius. They're relying on this exact kind of publicity behind this to get it all off the ground. They want people like you, people like me, and the "slickdeals/CAG" crowd to get in on the deal. It won't be a massive amount of people that have the program, but it'll be enough people with LOUD mouths on the internet. They expect, everytime someone makes a post on a forum or website about how they hate paying 60$ for new games, to see someone who has GCU mention how they're getting games for 38$. And how they're getting better trade ins and everything else.

The theory is that the word of GCU spreads like wildfire through honest gamer-to-gamer promotion of the program. Not from register sales smackdowns on every single customer that walks into the door. It won't be something the average gamer got convinvced to buy; it'll be something the average gamer wants, or even feels like they need. It'll create a ton of full priced GCU members who become loyal to BestBuy through pricing, whereas Gamestop type deals will have the things like "exclusive content". Price rules all, and if Gamestop loses just 15, or even 10 percent of its "loyal" powerup customers to GCU, their whole business could crumble, because it would just snowball from there.

This is one of those things where, 4 or 5 years from now, you might not even be able to find an operating gamestop within 10 miles of a best buy location, outside of the extremely high volume areas like NYC/LA.

Out of phones at my store (the $5 one at least) and I was too lazy to drive to aventura or hialeah. it's fine im broke ass fuck.

Looks like a lot of people were taking advantage of this deal out here in Orlando. A lot of the cheaper phones were gone, the cheapest one was $19. Oh well great deal.

Top Bottom