• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero - Switch (debut trailer)

Akainu

It's a bit anime cheese sure but it's ever so slight reference to the Meta Fight japanese version.

bmjp.jpg

No. There is no excuse for cat knee pads.

CamHostage

Looks good. I particularly like that there's a direction lock on shooting in the top-down sequences (did the original Blaster Master have that? don't recall it too well), strafing/dodging while moving is often a frustration point in old-school top-down shooter games and I appreciate when they take firing control into consideration.

Gaogaogao

good shit is this multiplatform?

I might have to get the 3ds version

they said 'launches exclusively' I take that to mean it will be timed exclusive

Not quite. From what Matt Papa of IntiCreates has said, this is something of a part remake, part reimagining. Which a lot of stuff is definitely taken from the original game, it goes off in new directions very quickly. We'll see just how extensive the differences are in a few days.

Noogy

Blaster Master was the first non pack-in NES cart I owned, and still one of my favorites. Cannot wait to pick this up!

120v

i always thought blaster master was a so so game that with a right sequel could be great. good to see it finally get its due after decades (assuming it's good as it looks)

Coda

This game is just a perfect close release title, fits the Nintendo Switch perfectly. If we keep seeing more of this I'm gonna love the Switch even more. Enjoying this hype train, they showed off a bunch of good indie games today. Keep the train rolling Nintendo.

fvng

Nothing but Azure Striker Gunvolt was only ported to Steam and I'm fairly sure the WiiWare Blaster Master remained exclusive.

I don't understand how this makes sense on any business level. At least a boy and his blob came out on PS, too many other wii games never got ports.

Looking at you Lost in Shadow

Oregano

I don't understand how this makes sense on any business level. At least a boy and his blob came out on PS, too many other wii games never got ports.

Looking at you Lost in Shadow

PlayStation isn't the end all and be all.

Edit:
PR speak is a science, if you say the 'launch' is exclusive, that leaves the possibility for other platforms.

Damon was clear when things were timed exclusive. It could come to other platforms but it doesn't seem its planned to.

God is real. Buying for $10 day 1 but hoping for a physical release later.

Puyo Puyo Tetris, Super Bomberman R, and Ultra Street Fighter 2 already had me sweating for a good time, now this? Switch purchase feeling more and more justified.

Vena

The most important question is what University gives you a Master's degree in Blasters. Or is this a vocational school focus?

Also, excellent, I will pick this up later in the year when I grab a Switch.

Instro

PR speak is a science, if you say the 'launch' is exclusive, that leaves the possibility for other platforms.

During the conference they did specify games/content that were timed exclusive, this was not one of them. I mean it's theoretically possible, but probably only for PC at some point down the line.

The most important question is what University gives you a Master's degree in Blasters. Or is this a vocational school focus?

Also, excellent, I will pick this up later in the year when I grab a Switch.

Definitely Vocational. I had to be a Journeyman Blaster for quite a few years until I could finally call myself a Master Blaster.

Akainu

The excuse is that its fun. Sorry that you are boring :(

I just have better taste than you.

Weird as high heels and a tail too? I'm surprised they went with vaguely rabbit ear looking ribbons instead of cat one. Pure Trash.

Edit: OH SHIT!? Useless goggles? How far can they go?

CamHostage

why can't The Guardian Legend get this kinda remake?!

*RANT/SIDE-NOTE*
Indies have tried a few times to do The Guardian Legend (and WayForward once tried to make a game influenced by TGL) and all have failed to bring the Guardian back.

Not sure if there's a license/rights issue or if the brand holders just aren't interested, but it'd make me so happy if Compile's shooter brands some day made a return the way say River City/Kunio-kun has blissfully been resurrected.

Tragic. Guardian Legend is absolutely my favorite game ever, but it's never been rescued/remade. Apparently Milestone Inc. held some the remnants of the SHMUP side of TGL developer Compile (every game made by the other Compile offshoot, Compile Heart, breaks my spirits a little bit), but they've never really made a Guardian Legend / Aleste / MUSHA / ZANAC type of shooter to my knowledge. (I'm mostly familiar with MileStone for its bullet-hell games, which are interesting as SHMUPs but the Compile-style of challenge and enemy design was special and I really wish they could explore it some time, if not fully invest in a shooter/adventure game again some day to rival/revive The Guardian Legend.

Blaster Master gives us all hope.

(EDIT - To clarify, MileStone is a dead company now, so no go there. But for a deeper dive on this tangent of Compile shooters and TGL, check out @MUWANdo's post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231223016&postcount=159 )

Grandius

Neo Member
*RANT/SIDE-NOTE*
Indies have tried a few times to do The Guardian Legend (and WayForward once tried to make a game influenced by TGL) and all have failed to bring the Guardian back.

Not sure if there's a license/rights issue or if the brand holders just aren't interested, but it'd make me so happy if Compile's shooter brands some day made a return the way say River City/Kunio-kun has blissfully been resurrected.

Tragic. Guardian Legend is absolutely my favorite game ever, but it's never been rescued/remade. Apparently Milestone Inc. holds some the remnants of the SHMUP side of TGL developer Compile (every game made by the other Compile offshoot, Compile Heart, breaks my spirits a little bit), but they've never really made a Guardian Legend / Aleste / MUSHA / ZANAC type of shooter to my knowledge. (I'm mostly familiar with MileStone for its bullet-hell games, which are interesting as SHMUPs but the Compile-style of challenge and enemy design was special and I really wish they could explore it some time, if not fully invest in a shooter/adventure game again some day to rival/revive The Guardian Legend.

Blaster Master gives us all hope.
Isn't Milestone Inc. closed (according to Wikipedia)?

Lupo

Neo Member
Loved the original. Strangely, I remember not much people had the original amongst my friends, or anyone else I knew growing up, but everyone I showed it to at the time were blown away by it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So many bad memories of this as a kid.

Am so getting this day 1 to relive my childhood trauma lol

Top Bottom