• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero - Switch (debut trailer)

This is how you do a retro 8 bit update for current gen. One of the best examples I've seen of keeping the 8 bit spirit in the modern day.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, while I'm definitely buying this, I'm very, very skeptical.
I'm gonna wait for reviews / impressions. The game looks really slow and boring to me honestly, but I'm staying open minded about it. The price is low enough that I'm down to take a reasonable risk.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not quite. From what Matt Papa of IntiCreates has said, this is something of a part remake, part reimagining. Which a lot of stuff is definitely taken from the original game, it goes off in new directions very quickly. We'll see just how extensive the differences are in a few days.
Blaster Master Zero Mission

Akainu

Did you not play the original US version? A kid and their favorite animal was a big part of theming.

Not since like elementary school doesn't it mutate? And you chase after it? Regardless the frog I have no problem with. It's the nonsensical female design.

duckroll

Okay, I will disagree with these opinions. ZX Advent is one of my favorite Mega Man games, and I really enjoyed Gunvolt. It has a few problems, but Gunvolt is really fun to control.

You also messed up your chronology: MM 9 and 10 were made after ZX and ZX Advent. Mighty No 9 was a disappointment, sure, but I think Comcept deserves a huge chunk of the blame on that one.

I suppose people who still like their work will not see it that way, but I did not like the design in the ZX games much at all, and Gun Volt being a score attack driven game is a huge turn off. I also kinda hate how they increasingly emphasized things like vocal songs, long talky cutscenes, etc. Makes the games slow as hell to play. I guess that started with the Zero games though. Just got worse and worse.

Kevin

Do we have any actual details about this game yet? Like how big is the game compared to the original? Is it a full on remake? Level count?

Love the sidescrolling parts of the trailer but not so sure about the top down stuff. And the cutscenes... not a fan.

Still, the price does invite impulse buy.

rjc571

Banned
Inticreates is developing so I'm holding off any anticipation until we hear what framerate the game runs at. Gunvolt was unplayable for me at 30 fps.

Actually, I'm going to be very surprised if this isn't 30 fps as well since the 3DS is the lead platform and is probably using the same engine as Gunvolt.

The top down stuff are actualy fun. They feel like dungeon.

At work so I just skimmed the trailer but it seemed kinda off to me somehow.(not just the zoom in) If I can take your comment as that you have played the game, then I hope you are right.

I think I will take the plunge on this one.

JPS Kai

As someone deeply invested into the rich lore of MetaFight, I'm surprised Eve is becoming a major part of the story.

Zarovitch

At work so I just skimmed the trailer but it seemed kinda off to me somehow.(not just the zoom in) If I can take your comment as that you have played the game, then I hope you are right.

The first Blaster Master has these on top cave. That's where you meet boss and get upgrade. They are not too long too, but i don't know about the new one.

Its true that the real deal in Blaster Master is the side scroll level. But those on top cave are a nice twist in the gameplay.

Nosgotham

the original has these sections and they were my favorite. the overworld is really just a means to get to these dungeon areas and get upgrades, fight bosses etc..

Boney

Banned
This is like the 4th Blaster Master reboot this decade. Right?

I'm still in, they're pretty good but always short of great.

dock

I played Blaster Master for the first time ever just a month ago, and it seemed so fun.

This looks pretty great, although I really don't like the cheap blue overlay effect on the underwater sections. :(

VariantX

This looks tight as hell. They seem to nail the visual aspects of a 8-bit remake in all the ways Double Dragon 4 didn't. Particularly with the backgrounds, they're clearly not something the NES could have done, but they're not so far gone that it breaks the cohesiveness of the artstyle.

Top Bottom