• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne launch trailer

I can't decide to either buy the game digital or a hard copy. Help?

All copies of Bloodborne are hard!

Over-designed usually means too crowded with detail. Empty/open/flat elements gives design room to breathe. Common game design pitfall - "Let's put in ALL the things!"

Bloodborne: The car

latest

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ِAdmit it, those OTs are hyping you up more than they should. :p

I'm ignoring most of the media, tbh. Dark Souls is the best game of last gen, and I bought a BloodborneStation 4 a week ago exclusively for its followup. Getting hyped leads to inevitable letdowns (after the overzealous fanboyism winds down). I'm just prepared. ;b

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm ignoring most of the media, tbh. Dark Souls is the best game of last gen, and I bought a BloodborneStation 4 a week ago exclusively for its followup. Getting hyped leads to inevitable letdowns (after the overzealous fanboyism winds down). I'm just prepared. ;b

There will be NO letdowns

NO LETDOWNS!

Alo0oy

Banned

This beautiful man has never let us down.

article-1346282450228-14be0a0a000005dc-526948_223x335.jpg

I don't know if you're joking by how many times you mention the era but it's 'Baroque' and its architecture is like the buildings found in Rome like the Trevi building and the church. It's interiors are garish and laced in gold, very unlike bloodborne.

Bloodborne is typically Victorian clothing in Gothic architecture. Hints of lovecraftian iconography.

Baroque style persisted for quite awhile past the 17th century, particularly farther from Rome. If they are wearing victorian clothing it could also be because the buildings are older than the fashion style. Buildings last much longer than clothes.

But the point is really moot. The game is set in a fantasy world and there are obvious influences from a number of stylistic trends. Only some of the architecture is gothic, some is Romanesque etc. Of course, if you walk through Rome or Florence or wherever you actually see many many centuries of style all plopped in among each other as the city is built on top of itself century after century.

Bloodborne has some things that I would call typically gothic, but there are some romanesque or later statue designs in the tympanum in the first area, and it migh not be a stretch to say that some of the interior decor is Baroque flavored. Maybe when the game releases I'll do some research and do a post on the art and architectural influences. This stuff definitely gets my juices flowing.

Source: I TA'ed and sometimes taught a University-level arts history survey course covering music, art architecture and literature.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This beautiful man has never let us down.

article-1346282450228-14be0a0a000005dc-526948_223x335.jpg

The shocked, giddy, explosive, simultaneous roar from the entire audience when that "the next game from Miyazaki" splash came up on screen when I was at the Sony E3 conf says it all.

tcrunch

A upressed psp game with a demo that should be free is selling better than Bloodborne.
absolutelydisgusting.jpg

I talked about this elsewhere, that Souls fans may be shocked by low sales numbers but should not be. I do think that Sony is definitely doing everything right with the advertising (aka getting as far away from "prepare to HAHA YOU DIED" and "from the makers of CRUSHINGLY DEFEATING Souls games" as they can, not even mentioning Souls, etc) but they can't really escape the tone of social media which continues to carry on much in that fashion.

Also there have been people in these very threads asking if they should buy some remaster (Type-0 or Handsome Collection) vs. a brand new IP from a legendary gamemaker...

Here is the thing I wrote a long time ago, none of the numbers are from vg chartz but I can't guarantee they are perf.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was curious about past sales figures for the Souls series so I tried to figure them out:

• [rel. 10/6/2009] Demon's Souls - PS3 - 280,000 US [anticipated 75k] as of April 2010 (and an interesting side article about Sony's non-confidence in the game)
  • [rel. 10/4/2011] Dark Souls - PS3/Xbox360 - 1,300,000 outside Japan as of December 2013
  • [rel. 8/24/2012] Dark Souls: PTD Edition - PC/PS3/Xbox360 - 555,000 outside Japan as of December 2013 (this is a little confusing because I did not know there was a PTD edition for PS3/Xbox360, on Amazon I can only find a PS3 from a UK source judging by the package, and I don't see a X360 version - nonetheless the article combines all these figures, PC-only sales were confirmed at 300k in April 2013 so I think it's safe to assume they made up most of the final 555k figure - I'm just wondering if they're counting in AOTA DLC individual sales for PS3/X360) (fake edit: another source)
  • [rel. 8/24/2012] Dark Souls: PTD Edition - PC - 1,386,606 worldwide as of December 2014
  • couldn't find any updated figures for PS3/Xbox360 in the same time period
  • [rel. 3/11/2014] Dark Souls II - PS3/Xbox360 - 1,200,000 outside Japan as of August 2014
  • [rel. 4/24/2014] Dark Souls II - PC - 964,266 Steam owners worldwide as of December 2014
  • [edit: SEE ABOVE this bullet point is a lie] couldn't find any figures for PC sales, there were 75,000 simultaneous players on Steam in the first month of release according to these guys
  • if you look at achievements for Steam it's likely that a lot of people who bought the game didn't get very far into it, the LGK trophy for example has only 43.7% of players owning it and Last Giant is at 68.2%
If you want an even better idea of how niche the Souls series is, compare it to something like the lifetime sales figures of some TakeTwo games: 34M for GTAV on PS3/X360, 9M for Borderlands 2, 6.5M for NBA2k14, 6M for Bioshock Infinite, or something like Destiny that sold around 5.4 million units in 5 days on consoles.

Late 2015, Bloodborne has a metacritic user score of 54/100 due to bitterness over exclusivity and waning interest in the game's lackluster replayability. Gamespot decides to amend their original score of 9.5/10 to a meager 4/10, citing that same complaint.

In 2016, interviews come to light about Miyazaki focus-testing BB with American fratboys after fans begin wonder why blood vials were replaced with blood bongs and the messengers were patched to have large breasts. Miyazaki says he's quitting the triple-A games industry to work on indie titles.

By 2017, a GAF thread appears, entitled: "Which was more forgettable: Bioshock Infinite or Bloodborne?"

2018? A meteor strikes the Earth, causing a chain reaction of volcanic eruptions and earthquakes. The world is covered in ash and fire. The press, desperate and afraid, turns to Miyazaki for comfort. He turns to reporters, cleaver trick-weapon in hand, "The true end of your lives starts here."

Alo0oy

Banned
The shocked, giddy, explosive, simultaneous roar from the entire audience when that "the next game from Miyazaki" splash came up on screen when I was at the Sony E3 conf says it all.

I remember that, it's amazing how well known he became after the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls combo.

Neoweee

[*][rel. 3/11/2014] Dark Souls II - PS3/Xbox360 - 1,200,000 outside Japan as of August 2014
[*][rel. 4/24/2014] Dark Souls II - PC - 964,266 Steam owners worldwide as of December 2014
[*][edit: SEE ABOVE this bullet point is a lie] couldn't find any figures for PC sales, there were 75,000 simultaneous players on Steam in the first month of release according to these guys
[*] if you look at achievements for Steam it's likely that a lot of people who bought the game didn't get very far into it, the LGK trophy for example has only 43.7% of players owning it and Last Giant is at 68.2%[/list]

Even including people that didn't play the game at all, the average number of hours played is 70, the highest of any pay-to-play Japanese release of 2014. Low achievement figures are pretty common, but Dark Souls 2 is unusually high in those regards.

And that's all with the announcement of Scholar of the First Sin edition basically killing sales.

There will be NO letdowns

NO LETDOWNS!

dude, i'm old and cynical, even as a big Souls fan i'll be brutally honest if the game has ANYTHING wrong with it.

for example the online better fucking work properly day 1. if it sucks as much as Dark Souls during the first week or two... man.. i won't hold back!

I guess it's worth noting that a lot of the architecture in BB that we have seen so far looks quite victorian, which has some of the elements of florid design that might call the Italian Baroque to mind, e.g. excessive ornamentation. (quoting myself now to reduce image size.)

8WO2LBr.jpg

compare the masses of spires and ornamental arches with this image:

bloodborne-1.jpg

also this has some victorian flavor:

69n2vBz.jpg

I guess it's worth adding that the first shot with oragne sky does in fact have some baroque flavor to it, now that I've thought about it:

berlin-cathedral-berlin-brdom2.jpg

Sometimes the word Gothic gets thrown around too much because we conflate Gothic architecture with Gothic horror literature even though the two styles of work are several centuries apart.

antitrop

I would love to live in a souls universe in real life
Reminds me of the bit from The Onion movie, where the D&D nerd is going on about how great it would be to live in the game universe, only to be magically transported there and instantly killed by a giant troll.

So the OP says it's direct-feed but it sure sounds like it was recorded off-screen. Do I not understand what direct feed means?

edit: it's the goddamn echoing audio voiceover. Sounds awful.

Philippo

Oh boy.

Top Bottom