• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne sold through more than 1 million units worldwide as of April 5

I wonder how many is sold used when the buyers can't cope with the difficulty. I mean, the game is seriously hyped everywhere and a lot of buyers are probably playing the series for the first time with Bloodborne.
Not saying that it doesn't deserve the sales, it's a good game and we sorely need games that aren't all hand holding and guiding the player through the whole story.
I think this is a misconception honestly that is backed up by trophy data. The game is NOT that hard after you learn the mechanics. And gamers tend to learn quickly. Also, the faster pace movement and focus on dodging is almost a mainstream mechanic at this point with games like dmc or gow. I dint think that many ppl are trading this in due to difficulty, especially with things like share play and watching other ppl on streams easily. Its very easy to unstuck yourself today in a challenging game.

Kill3r7

Dunno if this has been mentioned but this is actually more impressive than inFAMOUS since inFAMOUS had a worldwide release date while this followed the normal release pattern.

Niche indeed

I know its become trendy to shit on ISS but it was one of the best exclusive on PS4 at the time of release along with Resogun. It also did those numbers at around a third of the current PS4 user base.

Vol5

lNEg8.gif

deserved. im ready for a ninja souls, set in feudal fantasy japan! mizaski pls

Weird. Thought the exact same thing after playing shinobi 3 recently.

Alo0oy

Banned
200k * 60 = $12,000,000

Assuming a 50/50 revenue split with SCEJ, would be around $6,000,000 in that regard. Then whatever split went to Namco/Atlus for distribution rights. So, drop it a few million more maybe. $4,000,000 demons budget maybe?

With the success of the Souls series, bringing in $100,000,000 in revenue most likely with each iteration since Dark Souls. Something tells me the budget for the releases probably went up quite a bit. Or atleast sales expectations went up. I seriously doubt they projected anything less then 500k WW sales for Bloodborne. Which could put the budget around $15,000,000 depending on what sort of revenue split they had with SCEJ this time around.

Maybe .... who knows lol. Hate how budgets and such are so secretive.

Yeah, Demon's budget was probably around ~4 million, maybe slightly less, so I guess BB's budget being around ~10m is reasonable.

Well, congratz to all involved, a truly amazing experience that will hopefully push the Souls Games and From's Future works further into the public spotlight.

We definitely need more games like this.

Oxn

People were calling me crazy for suggesting around 300k and another 300k digitally in north america only

I cant be too far off

Fantastic news, easily one of the best new IP I've played this gen alongside Sunset.

Sony needs to double down and get FROM to work on some DLC and a sequel.

How does it benefit Sony to fund a game for anything outside of the Playstation family? Anything they fund needs to be 100% exclusive to silence those who feel the system is lacking in them. Don't know why you're solely focused on Xbox.

Ask Sony, who is doing it right now with Street Fighter V.
The people complaining about a lack of exclusives aren't paying attention.
I'm not "focused" on Xbox, I don't think Sony would do this or even think they should, I'm just saying the benefit of denying their competitor in consoles a game is clear.

Alo0oy

Banned
I know its become trendy to shit on ISS but it was one of the best exclusive on PS4 at the time of release along with Resogun. It also did those numbers at around a third of the current PS4 user base.

I:SS was a good game, but it's not comparable, Infamous is an established franchise while Bloodborne is a new IP. A new IP selling this well in 10 days is very impressive, sure it's not Gran Turismo/Uncharted level, but nobody expected it to be. It should end up selling around ~3 million, which should put it on the level of Killzone in terms of sales for Sony's IPs.

Do you think Sony is counting used sales in their 1 million?

I wasn't discussing the OT (which is my bad), rather the post I quoted for downplaying PC sales because some of them might have been during a $5 steam sale.

Nobody is writing them off, the vast majority of the Souls fanbase is on Playstation, that's what people are disputing, probably more than Xbox & PC combined judging by the total deaths statistic in DS2. DS2 sold less than 1 million in an entire year on PC, Bloodborne managed to outperform that in 10 days, & will probably triple that number LTD.

I was not one of the people arguing that the PC fanbase was one of the biggest, just that it was a sizable chunk. This was in response to the fact that PC has 'only' received 2 out of the 4 games in the 'souls' series. I argued that 2 games on PC makes plenty of sense be a counted a real part of the souls fanbase, and not a console owner.

PS4 does not have Demons', and PS3 does not have Bloodborne. I don't count both together. Just because you are invested in the PS4 ecosystem doesn't mean you are in the PS3 ecosystem, and vise versa.

Blobbers

And still there are people trying to downplay these awesome results. Game of the generation for now, for sure.

Man, this got me thinking. I wonder if Miyazaki got the go ahead from Sony to do a brand new IP as his next project, what kind of creative and, probably, fucked up shit he would come up with.

I'm still enjoying it like a murderously fine wine, and so far* its deserved its accolades. There is such a tremendously dense sense of place that it completely sucks me into its world every time I boot it up.

Cheers to From and Japan Studio for viscerally attacking my gaming time.

It hasn't ground me fully down to paste yet, but it's been close and it still might.

He still brings a valid point. For instance, digital title called Octodad had its PS4 SKU on average 33% higher than PC SKU. No doubt it will be different in retail but I can't find much from publishers on average sale price on different platforms.

I suspect pubs like Kadokawa look at revenue. There's also matters like marketing costs, distribution costs, platform costs that might be alleviated when pubs team up with a first party.

I agree with hard numbers from devs and pubs, definitely. Sales, during sales (lol) supposition, nah.

Also with the team up benefits.
Something to keep in mind, however, is that marketing, distribution costs, and platform costs are inherently lower, or non-existent on the PC.

Alo0oy

Banned
I was not one of the people arguing that the PC fanbase was one of the biggest, just that it was a sizable chunk. This was in response to the fact that PC has received 2 out of the 4 games in the 'souls' series, so it makes plenty of sense to be a souls fan, and not a console owner.

PS4 does not have Demons', and PS3 does not have Bloodborne. I don't count both together, because just because you are invested in the PS4 ecosystem doesn't mean you are in the PS3 ecosystem, and vise versa.

Discounting the PS3 is silly, the PS4 is its successor, while not everyone that owns a PS4 owned a PS3, the overwhelming majority of Souls fans owned a PS3, & probably a PS4 pretty soon.

Dark_castle

Grats to From Software and Sony for this amazing game.

Now get on with a nice meaty DLC for Bloodborne or a new game by Miyazaki!

Despite not being able to play that game as much as I'd like (busy with life)... I recently made it to the Forbidden Woods and continue to be amazed by the game. My only issue is the fear I feel when I first jump back into the game after taking a 5 or 6 day break.

Excellent game.
Please to see it's selling so well.
GOTY so far IMO.

This game deserves it all. Incredible game, worth a PS4 for, unforgettable. I hope it has good legs, like the souls series apparently has.

Top Bottom