• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne sold through more than 1 million units worldwide as of April 5

Elandyll

Banned
Glad to hear it's doing well, still having a great time playing it.

Sony would be wise to partner again with Miyazaki if they want to continue this relation (don't see why they wouldn't), but also letting him have some freedom to explore other things/ settings.

Sony owns the DeS and BB IPs, they can always have a SCEJ/ FROM team with Miyazaki's input develop sequels, but Imo they should definitely let him explore whatever he'd like to do next.

Happy Director = Good game :)

PS: Dark Souls is not going exclusive, and it shouldn't. Bamco/ FROM have 0% incentive in doing so, and neither would Sony in having to pony up the dough upfront to make for the lost sales on an IP they don't even own.

I think its safe to say that, far from "the casuals" taking over the market, high-complexity high-skill games are doing better than ever. Would a gave like Bloodborne have sold nearly as much as quickly 10 years ago?

Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC series, Monster Hunter series have all sold relatively well in the states and worldwide.

All 3 of those are known for high difficulty in their own ways.

Caja 117

Best Next Gen game so far, congratulation to From Software as this excellent game deserve such reward, Miyasaki truly knows how to make Masterpieces. I got the collectors edition and Im contemplating in Double Dipping on digital, this game deserves to be always available on the PS4

elhav

Looking forward to their next collaboration with Sony- Berserk- The Golden Age
Just read the manga after seeing that Berserk-souls thread, and I don't think it'll really fit if FROM does it. Their games are subtle with their story and world, while Berserk is fucking nuts. Like, really crazy shit.
61180343.jpg
793.gif

I will definitely buy the DLC day one. As for a sequel, while I wouldn't say no to one I would rather the team makes another Souls-like in a different setting with a new universe again, I'd love to see what they come up with next.
Yeah, but since it's pretty sure that Dark Souls 3 is on its way, a Bloodborne sequal would be more surprising. Because of Bloodborne, now I want another fast paced FROM game.
Dark Souls 3 will probably be slow like the other souls games, which is exactly how it should stay. I guess I have a place in my heart for both sequals :)

Usobuko

Banned
In that sales thread, I had it at 2.5 millions Ltd maximum but I did revise that it might go up depending on how Sony manages it's mid-late product life.

Future bundles, platinum beselling re-release etc.

Jomjom

Banned
I want to go pull up the downer posts from the sales prediction thread where people were mocking people for predicting more than 1 or 2 mil lifetime. Im too lazy though.

ethomaz

Banned
In that sales thread, I had it at 2.5 millions Ltd maximum but I did revise that it might go up depending on how Sony manages it's mid-late product life.

Future bundles, platinum beselling re-release etc.
Well Sony Italy already announced a new bundle with BB included... a pretty cheap bundle in my view.

Sony has no reason to make DS3 exclusive, they're getting that game for free no questions asked

Now another Miyazaki game on the other hand is another story

ethomaz

Banned
I want to go pull up the downer posts from the sales prediction thread where people were mocking people for predicting more than 1 or 2 mil lifetime. Im too lazy though.
Like this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157212619&postcount=14

1-2 million ish at most.

It'll have the benefit of being a big game on a game starved platform, but it's an exclusive, and one that appeals to a very niche audience at that.

Edit - lol threre are a lot of sub 2m in that thread.

Mkiyazaki himself stated he did not want to see a " Dark Souls VIII " at some point release. Meaning he did not want the series to become a sequel fest just because it is successful.

Since he is president now, I don't think we will see many more within the Dark Souls world to be perfectly honest.

Alo0oy

Banned
I did not say this.
Half of the souls series is located on PS4.
I also don't see the point to writing off a sizable chunk of said PC souls fanbase (where half the series is available), as well as the Xbox fanbase, on which half the series is available.

Nobody is writing them off, the vast majority of the Souls fanbase is on Playstation, that's what people are disputing, probably more than Xbox & PC combined judging by the total deaths statistic in DS2. DS2 sold less than 1 million in an entire year on PC, Bloodborne managed to outperform that in 10 days, & will probably triple that number LTD.

Danneee

I wonder how many is sold used when the buyers can't cope with the difficulty. I mean, the game is seriously hyped everywhere and a lot of buyers are probably playing the series for the first time with Bloodborne.
Not saying that it doesn't deserve the sales, it's a good game and we sorely need games that aren't all hand holding and guiding the player through the whole story.

ethomaz

Banned
I wonder how many is sold used when the buyers can't cope with the difficulty. I mean, the game is seriously hyped everywhere and a lot of buyers are probably playing the series for the first time with Bloodborne.
Not saying that it doesn't deserve the sales, it's a good game and we sorely need games that aren't all hand holding and guiding the player through the whole story.
Well the 1 million figure just count new copies... if you sold it or not doesn't count for Sony because they already sold it at $60..

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It would stop Xbox from getting a game, that benefits Sony. Also does someone really need to grab the damn PS4 and Xbox One exclusive chart again?

How does it benefit Sony to fund a game for anything outside of the Playstation family? Anything they fund needs to be 100% exclusive to silence those who feel the system is lacking in them. Don't know why you're solely focused on Xbox.

Alo0oy

Banned
What I wonder is, what is the budget of these games?

10 million?
20 million?

Probably less.

Demon's Souls was developed to be profitable by selling 200k in Japan, & since this game has twice the resolution, then it probably has twice the budget. From Software (& Japanese devs in general minus SE & Capcom) are incredibly efficient with their budgets.

Usobuko

Banned
I think its safe to say that, far from "the casuals" taking over the market, high-complexity high-skill games are doing better than ever. Would a gave like Bloodborne have sold nearly as much as quickly 10 years ago?

I hope Scalebound joins the Monster Hunter, Skylines, Bloodborne sales party we have these past few days.

Uphill task for Platinum and Microsoft.

Probably less.

Demon's Souls was developed to be profitable by selling 200k in Japan, & since this game has twice the resolution, then it probably has twice the budget. From Software (& Japanese devs in general minus SE & Capcom) are incredibly efficient with their budgets.

200k * 60 = $12,000,000

Assuming a 50/50 revenue split with SCEJ, would be around $6,000,000 in that regard. Then whatever split went to Namco/Atlus for distribution rights. So, drop it a few million more maybe. $4,000,000 demons budget maybe?

With the success of the Souls series, bringing in $100,000,000 in revenue most likely with each iteration since Dark Souls. Something tells me the budget for the releases probably went up quite a bit. Or atleast sales expectations went up. I seriously doubt they projected anything less then 500k WW sales for Bloodborne. Which could put the budget around $15,000,000 depending on what sort of revenue split they had with SCEJ this time around.

Maybe .... who knows lol. Hate how budgets and such are so secretive.

Used console sales.

On PC, sold is sold, save for (possibly:GFWL) the UK only physical special edition release of DS1.

He still brings a valid point. For instance, digital title called Octodad had its PS4 SKU on average 33% higher than PC SKU. No doubt it will be different in retail but I can't find much from publishers on average sale price on different platforms.

I suspect pubs like Kadokawa look at revenue. There's also matters like marketing costs, distribution costs, platform costs that might be alleviated when pubs team up with a first party.

Top Bottom