• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne sold through more than 1 million units worldwide as of April 5

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
More than well deserved. So glad it's sold well.

How many "PS4 owners were just desperate for anything" posts are we up to so far?

diggler41

Yay this awesome.

Practically guarantees either DLC or a sequal. Will be okay with either.

61180343.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned
Miyazaki da GAWD. I wonder what the region breakdown is. I can see some people who predicted low sales for this game getting some birdshot for tomorrow...

specdot

Happy for them that the game has sold and is selling well. What I'm interested in is seeing how far it will sell. A quick glance at eBay tells a very funny story. There are a bunch of sellers selling the game with the description saying, "Played only once. Looks great. Too hard for me lol."

Yay this awesome.

Practically guarantees either DLC or a sequal. Will be okay with either.

I will definitely buy the DLC day one. As for a sequel, while I wouldn't say no to one I would rather the team makes another Souls-like in a different setting with a new universe again, I'd love to see what they come up with next.

Mokubba

Dunno if this has been mentioned but this is actually more impressive than inFAMOUS since inFAMOUS had a worldwide release date while this followed the normal release pattern.

Niche indeed

rhandino

Banned
In 10 days, 3 weeks, 2 months....? How much?

Dark Souls sold like 2.5 Millions units by the time Dark Souls II launched. (PC/PS3/Xbox)

Dark Souls II sold 1.2 Million Units on launch (PS3/Xbox)

Dark Souls II PC sales where in the million ballpark as of February/2015.

Co Engine and Asset development with SCEJ
+
On track to be best selling FS title of all time
=
DS3 one platform
?

Seriously doubt it. Dark Souls 1 is around ~2 million and DS2 sits at around ~1 million on Steam right now. Seems like a bad idea to ignore such a large audience built on PC.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Seriously doubt it. Dark Souls 1 is around ~2 million and DS2 sits at around ~1 million on Steam right now. Seems like a bad idea to ignore such a large audience built on PC.

How many of those were bought for like 5 bucks though.

I would think they would be doing a cost benefit analysis. I do agree that it is unlikely though.

Sony would be stupid to not have Miyazaki and his original Souls team on contract for multiple games. 3 masterpieces in a row shows how well him and his team work together and understand the vision theyre aiming for. DLC, BB2, New IP im looking forward to whatever comes next by Miyazaki and co.

Not if Sony decides to help fund development cost.

I think From/Namco are definitely keeping the Dark Souls series multiplatform- and I don't even think Sony would attempt to moneyhat that series when they now have their own new ace.

I mean:
-Get a ton of PS4 sales anyway with Dark Souls 3; don't have to spend trucks of cash for exclusivity.
-Still retain exclusive work from Miyazaki with a Bloodborne 2/spiritual successor.

Win/Win for Sony.

Now, if MS tries to moneyhat a Dark Souls 3... well... that's a whole different ball game and things get interesting. :p

Platinum games are too niche to sell well to the mainstream market, especially from an aesthetic standpoint. The From Software offerings are rather neutral since you could consider the Souls games as generic medieval fantasy, while Platinum Games scream japanese made.

Yeah they really need to appeal more to the west otherwise they won't sell.

From's other games have that problem as well. Souls at least can disguise itself.

wapplew

I think From/Namco are definitely keeping the Dark Souls series multiplatform- and I don't even think Sony would attempt to moneyhat that series when they now have their own new ace.

I mean:
-Get a ton of PS4 sales anyway with Dark Souls 3; don't have to spend trucks of cash for exclusivity.
-Still retain exclusive work from Miyazaki with a Bloodborne 2/spiritual successor.

Win/Win for Sony.

Now, if MS tries to moneyhat a Dark Souls 3... well... that's a whole different ball game and things get interesting. :p

Agree. Sony have successfully court souls fans to PS4, no point making DS3 exclusive.

chadboban

Dayum. Congrats to them on those fantastic sales. Don't have a PS4 yet but I'm playing through Dark Souls 1 right now and I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Well deserved I would say, that is about on par with Infamous Second Son (which had a WW launch, Bloodborne was staggered with EU getting it 3 days later than US).

Yeah they really need to appeal more to the west otherwise they won't sell.

From's other games have that problem as well. Souls at least can disguise itself.
Honestly to me the only Souls game that I look at and can tell is Japanese is Demon, From does a damn good job of not falling into "Anime realism" with their art and exaggerated animation typical of Japanese media.

Agree. Sony have successfully court souls fans to PS4, no point making DS3 exclusive.

Yeah, no point in Sony paying for it really, it'll sell better on PS4 than Xbox One anyways. The only way I see it not coming to Xbox would be if Dark II sold ridiculously bad on Xbox One, it'll come to PC no matter what.

That doesn't benefit Sony at all. The biggest knock on PS4 is lack of exclusives, so they need to reverse that view.

It would stop Xbox from getting a game, that benefits Sony. Also does someone really need to grab the damn PS4 and Xbox One exclusive chart again?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think its safe to say that, far from "the casuals" taking over the market, high-complexity high-skill games are doing better than ever. Would a gave like Bloodborne have sold nearly as much as quickly 10 years ago?

Top Bottom