• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

Shizuka

If I'm not mistaken, Giocorsi said that this won't be the last BL2 patch. I'm hoping for the remaining DLC and more performance patches.

Probably not, since this has forced touch and rear touch controls. They could always patch in Vita TV support like what the KZM guys are doing though.

Speaking as someone who is totally unfamiliar with how these things work, I imagine this would be a really easy patch to make for this game though

Massa

This game is just unplayable on the Vita, the frame rate is terrible. Just deleted it off my memory card, waste of money.

zDeathMagneticz

Neo Member
They still need to fix the bullet lag issue, and then itll be great!

I still think that Gearbox mad a poor decision by handing off a project that could've made them money hand over fist, to a crappy, virtually no-name indie dev (Iron Galaxy)

Shizuka

I still think that Gearbox mad a poor decision by handing off a project that could've made them money hand over fist, to a crappy, virtually no-name indie dev (Iron Galaxy)

Iron Galaxy has handled great ports before, the matter here is that they didn't have enough time (or money) to make it a great port.

BigDug13

Probably not, since this has forced touch and rear touch controls. They could always patch in Vita TV support like what the KZM guys are doing though.

Pretty sure any game that uses generic touch controls to act like a button can be used with a controller. It's the games where you have to touch specific locations on the touchscreen or back touch panel that make it impossible to do on PSTV.

The only reason that BL2 forces you to use touch at all is because the machine lacks the same number of buttons as the DS3 and DS4.

maouvin

Finally had something better to use than my loyal Torgue rifle (which was useless to check bullet lag) and can safely say that, if still present, the bullet lag is now WAY better than it was when I started playing. Maybe it doesn't make sense, but I'm happy, so yeah.

Just completed "where angels fear to something part 1" quest and it bugged midway because there was 2 Rolands on the stage. Had to save and quit (luckily it didn't crash, tho, so I kept my earned xp and all). Second try with no problems.

Now comes the Erydium Blight... hate that place. Guess I'll do some DLC missions before.

Finally had something better to use than my loyal Torgue rifle (which was useless to check bullet lag) and can safely say that, if still present, the bullet lag is now WAY better than it was when I started playing. Maybe it doesn't make sense, but I'm happy, so yeah.

Just completed "where angels fear to something part 1" quest and it bugged midway because there was 2 Rolands on the stage. Had to save and quit (luckily it didn't crash, tho, so I kept my earned xp and all). Second try with no problems.

Now comes the Erydium Blight... hate that place. Guess I'll do some DLC missions before.

I've put 40+ hours into the game and it plays a lot better for me after the update as well. There's still hitches here and there but it's a big improvement from before.

I'm enjoying the game still, just went through bloodshot stronghold without any freezes or crashes which I heard was a big problem there so I guess the patch works.

I've put about 10 hours in on a mechro with about 2 of those with this new patch, seems to be fine.

Need some advice. I just recently came to the realization I may be playing this game all wrong. This is my first time playing BL2. I chose Zero, and am going the full sniper route. I feel I may be missing out on the other characters craziness, and their skills as well, because that is what makes this game really stand out. Well, that, and the gajillion guns. Currently I am level 21. I need to watch videos or something of what other characters can do, and go from there. I just read about the mchromancer gets to summon his own robot. That's badass. I just wasn't wanting to buy the dlc for ps3...but then again I really don't know if I ever would do the save transfer. It feels too good having it in my hands. What sayeth you all, gaf?

Tigress

Was just playing the Hyperion Preserve and crashed, thanks Iron Galaxy

So far this area is the worst for this in my experience. I usually don't get many crashes, maybe once a day at most and that's a lot, usually more a couple times a week. And this was when I was playing this game for hours a day. But I think I crashed at least three times trying to get through this level. Very annoying (I'm glad the rest of the game wasn't that bad or I'd probably eventually give up on finishing it).

BigDug13

Need some advice. I just recently came to the realization I may be playing this game all wrong. This is my first time playing BL2. I chose Zero, and am going the full sniper route. I feel I may be missing out on the other characters craziness, and their skills as well, because that is what makes this game really stand out. Well, that, and the gajillion guns. Currently I am level 21. I need to watch videos or something of what other characters can do, and go from there. I just read about the mchromancer gets to summon his own robot. That's badass. I just wasn't wanting to buy the dlc for ps3...but then again I really don't know if I ever would do the save transfer. It feels too good having it in my hands. What sayeth you all, gaf?

Zero's sniper tree is a bit meh. Gamers have made strong cases as to why other characters like Maya and Salvatore actually have better skills to be a sniper with stronger crit and other damage attributes. (Engaging enemies at point blank range while dual wielding a couple vladof sniper machine guns as Sal is pretty sweet. His biggest advantage as a sniper is his skill will keep your ammo topped off. )

It's good to mess around and don't be afraid to use the respec machine. It's cheap. Don't worry about "working towards a build". Just pick a good build based on the points you have, then change it later when you get a few more points.

And yeah every class is really fun. Zero is honestly my least favorite class to solo with but one of my most fun classes to play with 3 other people as they make nice distractions as you run around backstabbing or being a shotgun ninja. Since the Vita game can't do 4 player, Zero isn't my favorite.

ZeroAKA

I've never tried Zer0, but playing as a sniper in a game as crazy as BL2 doesn't seem that fun to me. You could mess around with his skill tree or switch to a different character to change up the game a bit. My personal favorites are Maya and Gaige.

BigDug13

I've never tried Zer0, but playing as a sniper in a game as crazy as BL2 doesn't seem that fun to me. You could mess around with his skill tree or switch to a different character to change up the game a bit. My personal favorites are Maya and Gaige.

Yeah the other issue is being a sniper really demands a game with good framerates. Since this version has the lowest framerate of all the platforms (unless your PC specs really suck), sniping is probably hardest on Vita. Unless maybe using gyro aiming makes it ok? I've been trying but I guess I've been playing BL2 too long without gyro and I still can't get used to it.

Tigress

No way, it's still fun. I mean I always carry around 4 sniper rifles and one of anything else. And I rely a lot on my sniper rifle.

Though yeah, you only get one chance to do one really good sniper kill before everything comes down on you. But the rifle is still fun anyways.

But yeah, it's not a game for people who like to play stealthy (which honestly I'm willing to bet most people who like sniping want to be able to stealth as well, I know I do. I mean the appeal of sniping is to be able to pick off people from a spot they can't see or access you... or at least that's how you realistically should be using a sniper rifle). It's still fun despite that (Honestly, I'd not be the kind of player you would think likes Borderlands, I think it's craziness and sense of humor is why I like it. I don't like run and gunning, I like stealthing and picking out a good shot, I like crafting and tend to prefer RPG over FPS. Fallout Vegas to me was a perfect mix of both).

Yeah Gaiges summon is so good. Nice distraction for solo play.

ZeroAKA

No way, it's still fun. I mean I always carry around 4 sniper rifles and one of anything else. And I rely a lot on my sniper rifle.
I always have at least 1 sniper rifle with me at all times for easy kills unless I'm playing as Gaige. I just don't find them very exciting in a game that has all of these crazy guns and flashy visual effects.

Tigress

I always have at least 1 sniper rifle with me at all times for easy kills unless I'm playing as Gaige. I just don't find them very exciting in a game that has all of these crazy guns and flashy visual effects.

Honestly, my favorite kind of kills, the most satisfying to me, is one hit kills. To me that's a lot more satisfying than flashy visual effects. The bang and the enemy popping.

So, different play styles :). Sniper guns for me are still fun, specially if I can make that headshot and kill them in one hit.

maouvin

The problem on searching videos for the other classes is that you'll mostly find end-game builds with top-tier gear, which look awesome but maybe it's not what you need to know right now. Also, you'd be missing on some fun builds that aren't recorded on videos simply because they aren't as effective on Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

If you must, I suggest you to check the Gearbox forums for builds. Every class have their threads about builds, optimal equipment, skills breakdown and some other resources.

And as said, don't be afraid to respec. It's cheap for a reason.

DrFurbs

Just played a coop game in saw...cauldron place. Lots of enemies didn't even load. But I still had fun. The game is weird. Some places run very fast near 30fps and then others chug.

Thanks all. Respeccing Zer0 isn't really an option, as his other skill trees don't seem that interesting, but it may be what I need to put some zazz back in him. His skill trees seem a little meh, but I don't know until I really try. I have no problems sniping, I actually really like it in BL2, all thanks to those glorious gyro controls. I also enjoy challenging sniping, such as head shotting people charging right at me, or running around trying to get a better vantage point on me. The frame skips haven't yet bothered me, I can usually skirt away pretty easily enough. Plus Zer0's vanish skill allows people to focus on that, making them an easy target, while adding 200% gun damage and 200% cirt damage, making it so much more deadly. The "one shot kills" via headshot are the best. 10 guys, 10 bullets,
imaginary
body parts amongst the loot that has dropped.

I will hold off on watching videos, as the comment regarding engame loot/spoilery is a great counterpoint to it. Plus...end game stuff is always so badass, I need early game stuff. Sniping and stealth do usually go hand in hand...but in this...it's more of a "shoot once, then try to kill everyone before they reach me" kind of thing. Which can make it hectic. I will check out the build ideas though, that might help me with some ideas for searching for videos. But then, I am fairly lazy, and might just keep on keepin on with Zer0, and just change him up before I commit to making a new char.

No matter what I do though, I know I'll have fun. If I had a blast with the "simplistic" sniper rifles, I can only imagine the awesomeness of calling out Deathtrap, or gunzerking all over someones face. Or something. Thanks again all.

EL CUCO

Just started playing, post update. Looks like they capped the framerate at 30 (when it can get there) from what I can see.

Edit: NVM, a couple section still go over.

Not really seeing the performance gain, but still playable.

I still freeze on occasion... same usual suspects like coming out of inventory.

The audiologs are back to lagging like it did during the first week.

Velcro Fly

I'm playing the PS3 version of this game but I'm really bad. I'd be afraid to play it on a handheld. I felt cheap kiting some level 10 boss mob to where I could get in a car and mow it down with turret fire. Game is fun and maybe one day i'll own it on Vita too.

Sporran

I cant get past the Bloodshot Stronghold, tried 5 times now and once you get to the big arena audio stutters and the game locks. Tried playing with no wifi too. Hope this updates fixes it. Up to this point been very enjoyable :D

Abylim

Just grabbed this today, downloaded everything, downloaded my character.
Played around for a minute to test it out, put my vita in sleep mode.

right away my ps button started flashing blue, and I couldnt turn it back on.

Googled how to turn it on, all is well now, but definitely not a good first impression lol

maouvin

Got my second freeze ever after clearing almost all of Lynchwood (I held a bit on going there because there's so many lab rats...). Went back to buy some ammo, bought them too fast and the thing crashed, lol.
Called it a day because clearing Lynchwood twice on a day is just too much.

And have any of y'all found Michael Mamaril on Sanctuary yet? I could use some free blue/purple items (without spending keys).

Shizuka

I read Gaige is the best character for newcomers, I'm thinking of choosing her for my new playthrough. I chose Zer0 in my first one, but it didn't really work for me.

BigDug13

Got my second freeze ever after clearing almost all of Lynchwood (I held a bit on going there because there's so many lab rats...). Went back to buy some ammo, bought them too fast and the thing crashed, lol.

And have any of y'all found Michael Mamaril on Sanctuary yet? I could use some free blue/purple items (without spending keys).

They nerfed his spawn rate way back to like 10% spawn rate. Then when you factor in the fact that he has around 10 different spots he can spawn in, you end up hardly ever seeing him. I have yet to see him on the Vita version.

Just spend golden keys. They've given away 42 golden keys in June alone.

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key

maouvin

I read Gaige is the best character for newcomers, I'm thinking of choosing her for my new playthrough. I chose Zer0 in my first one, but it didn't really work for me.

Both Gaige and Axton are good picks since their summons can distract the enemies. I never played Axton, but Gaige do more than decent damage with Anarchy and Close Enough, and her left skill tree gives some survivability (and buff deathtrap). I dont recommend going through her middle skill tree at the beginning, tho - not worthy at low levels.

And when she says "don't accidently reload!", believe her.

They nerfed his spawn rate way back to like 10% spawn rate. Then when you factor in the fact that he has around 10 different spots he can spawn in, you end up hardly ever seeing him. I have yet to see him on the Vita version.

Just spend golden keys. They've given away 42 golden keys in June alone.

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key

Aye, will do that. I'm extremely pleased with how they came back to posting shift codes weekly since the Vita launch :)
I'm just too lazy to redeem them ~_~

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Another great lunch hour with this game. I think I've been way too picky. Now I'm used to it, it's such a good match for a portable console.

zDeathMagneticz

Neo Member
So far this area is the worst for this in my experience. I usually don't get many crashes, maybe once a day at most and that's a lot, usually more a couple times a week. And this was when I was playing this game for hours a day. But I think I crashed at least three times trying to get through this level. Very annoying (I'm glad the rest of the game wasn't that bad or I'd probably eventually give up on finishing it).
My anger may have dissipated a little when i went back for the second time (on TVHM) and found 2 Legendary Grenades inside of ten minutes haha
Sticky Lobbed Bonus Package and Lobbed Storm Front, both very helpful so far

zDeathMagneticz

Neo Member

Ive seen Mamaril multiple times actually, probably 6 or so in my 40 hours on Vita (never gives me anything good for christmas though haha)

reKon

Banned
Are there Gaffers who play this still (PS3)? I'm getting close to beating Mass Effect so I'm probably going to be playing, Arkham City, SotC, and a shit load of this (because after Destiny releases, I probably won't touch this game). I have a level 8 character.

Or am I better off just joining public matches and using the game matching system?

Finally beat BL2 for the first time. Never finished it on PS3.

Gonna do the remaining missions in Badassitude Crater before i move onto True Vault Hunter mode

DrFurbs

Are there Gaffers who play this still (PS3)? I'm getting close to beating Mass Effect so I'm probably going to be playing, Arkham City, SotC, and a shit load of this (because after Destiny releases, I probably won't touch this game). I have a level 8 character.

Or am I better off just joining public matches and using the game matching system?

I play it ask most every night. In a level 27 siren.

AlexBasch

I have been trying to get into it but solo gets boring.

Then there are rude people in the public matchmaking who have no idea of private matches.

we have seen that European users have to wait until tomorrow, I ask those who have downloaded and installed the latest patch, the game becomes enjoyable?

we have seen that European users have to wait until tomorrow, I ask those who have downloaded and installed the latest patch, the game becomes enjoyable?
The game was always enjoyable to me. It stabalizes some frame rate issues in Bloodshot Stronghold, and some other areas across the board. I think it's been universally decided that that the patch isn't the savior patch that some were expecting, smoothing out frame rates across the board. It doesn't do that. But it does reduce some crashes, and introduces many additional control adjustment modifiers, such as adjusting the horizontal width of "senstive" area for the rear touch pad to activate. Setting it at one almost turns the rear touchpad off, youd have to hit the verrrrry close to the very center of it to get either action to go off.

It's still a blast. I'm answering yes to your question, despite me liking it from the get go :D

Top Bottom