• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

maouvin

This might be the wrong place to ask since I'm playing the pc version, but this seems to be the only active borderlands thread on GAF.

Anyway, I just completed the game and unlocked that true vault hunter mode thingy. What I would like to know, is if I should play through all the dlc before switching it over to the TVHM thing, despite it probably very easy and not giving me good items. Or would playing through the DLC in TVHM be a better overall experience do you think? I haven't played the DLC before, and I kinda want to be able to enjoy it and not be fighting for my survival all time, like I was during the end of the BL2 main story. I guess what I'm really asking is how hard is TVHM? I felt like BL2 was already plenty hard in the later parts of the game, I kept getting knocked down into low hp despite having decent shield, life and regen skills. And I don't really want that to deal with that when playing this new content

TVHM quests, like in Normal, have pre-set levels, so it's possible to outlevel them. It's a natural progression on difficulty - you might find more enemies with shields, and I believe armored psychos show up on it already. It's harder, but it's not a huge spike.

The final quests on the DLCs may be higher level than the final quests on the main story, but overall you might have some smooth sailing.

But, if they didn't change it since a long time ago, when you beat
the warrior
on TVHM all your unaccepeted quests will scale to your level (you can check then, but as long as you don't accept they'll scale to your level). This applies to the DLC quests too. So keep that in mind.

VERY LATE EDIT: check this out: http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands...finitive_guide_on_dlc_level_scaling_and_when/

zDeathMagneticz

Neo Member
TVHM quests, like in Normal, have pre-set levels, so it's possible to outlevel them. It's a natural progression on difficulty - you might find more enemies with shields, and I believe armored psychos show up on it already. It's harder, but it's not a huge spike.

The final quests on the DLCs may be higher level than the final quests on the main story, but overall you might have some smooth sailing.

But, if they didn't change it since a long time ago, when you beat
the warrior
on TVHM all your unaccepeted quests will scale to your level (you can check then, but as long as you don't accept they'll scale to your level). This applies to the DLC quests too. So keep that in mind.

VERY LATE EDIT: check this out: http://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands...finitive_guide_on_dlc_level_scaling_and_when/

Damn, as somebody whose spent over 300 hours total actoss 3 platforms, i wish id have known that unaccepted quests scale!

maouvin

Damn, as somebody whose spent over 300 hours total actoss 3 platforms, i wish id have known that unaccepted quests scale!

Haha yeah, luckily I learned of it early enough. It was called playthrough 2.5. It existed in BL1 too, but iirc only the enemies scaled.

But given that you can reset your UVHM progress any time (and so, redo any quests), I'm not sure if the "playthrough 2.5" still exists.

DrFurbs

Guys I play this between my ps3 and vita but I notice that when I play coop on both I'm only getting the level the Talon of God and the final level... May be another life the wildlife preserve. Mean as I level up there is less to play.

How do I get access to say some of the expansion pack levels or other areas? Its really noticeable on the ps3.

Ohnonono

First question: Is there any way in the vita version to tell if something is slagged? I beat the game through and never saw any indication that an enemy was slagged at least that I could see.

Second question: The new game + mode is really fun!, but pretty hard. The armored guys seem to require hitting in the head to even put a dent in them. This can be hard running anarchy, and honestly it can be hard on vita period. I am just starting but as I level and get better stuff will this abate to some degree? I was also told to not do ANY sidequests in new game + until after I beat the game again. Are there good farm spots to just kill stuff for levels to avoid having to do side quests to catch up to the story level?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
First question: Is there any way in the vita version to tell if something is slagged? I beat the game through and never saw any indication that an enemy was slagged at least that I could see.

Second question: The new game + mode is really fun!, but pretty hard. The armored guys seem to require hitting in the head to even put a dent in them. This can be hard running anarchy, and honestly it can be hard on vita period. I am just starting but as I level and get better stuff will this abate to some degree? I was also told to not do ANY sidequests in new game + until after I beat the game again. Are there good farm spots to just kill stuff for levels to avoid having to do side quests to catch up to the story level?

1-Other than enemy's screaming they been slag I haven't noticed any but it hasn't been much of a problem to me so far since I let the turret do the slaging but it's going to be a problem in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

2-In True Vault Hunter Mode it's recommended you leave the side quest alone until after you beat the story mode so you're options are grinding in the Arid Nexus or have a high level player join and help you rush through the story mode.

Ohnonono

1-Other than enemy's screaming they been slag I haven't noticed any but it hasn't been much of a problem to me so far since I let the turret do the slaging but it's going to be a problem in Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode.

2-In True Vault Hunter Mode it's recommended you leave the side quest alone until after you beat the story mode so you're options are grinding in the Arid Nexus or have a high level player join and help you rush through the story mode.

Cool thanks! How about tipping moxxi 100s for the gun? How many times can I do that? I think i did it twice in normal mode and then it did not work again?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Cool thanks! How about tipping moxxi 100s for the gun? How many times can I do that? I think i did it twice in normal mode and then it did not work again?
Apparently it's a bit buggy on the Vita version where there's a jarring delay before she hands over the gun so save before you just in case and tip her the amount needed than jyst play some slots until the AI kicks in a she gives you the gun.

The Bad Touch triggers between 5k and 20k, and the Good Touch between 10k and 50k (when tipping in $1000 increments since I don't remember the exact amounts)

You can return to (or reload) Sanctuary for more Good Touches, but reportedly, there is only one Bad Touch per playthrough. The variants (e.g., "Guileless" and "Impetuous") tend to have lower stats. The guns' level reqs scale to your story progress. You can always restart your game from the last save if you don't like your results.

melman101

I will say this, as someone who has an OLED Vita, and decided to buy the Slim model anyway with Borderlands 2, I am absolutely loving BL2. I have never played any other version of it, and briefly I played BL1 and was like eh.

But anyhow, recently, I've turned on BL2, and I am just having a great time with it. Maybe it's because I never played any other version, but man this game is incredible.

I love the Vita, and am a bit sad that fewer AAA experiences are coming, especially seeing how good BL2 is (for me, anyhow).

Dave49er

Neo Member
This is my 1st post here!

These are the 2 settings that I have found make the most difference to me:

1. Options / Gameplay -> Fixed Minimap Rotation <ON>
2. Options / Video -> UI Sway <OFF>

With Fixed Minimap Rotation <ON>, your minimap doesn't spin around and redraw as you turn. The arrowhead representing you spins within the minimap. It takes some getting used to, but it seems to me to help keep the frame rate higher, especially when in battle.

Turning UI Sway <OFF> seems to help make the menus more responsive when swapping out items, marking items as junk, etc.

DrFurbs

Thanks for that!

In playing in TVHM.. Dear lord! In getting drops so good off the entry level minions that are better than the end game levels including boss on Normal!

Saying that it's much harder!

maouvin

Thanks for that!

In playing in TVHM.. Dear lord! In getting drops so good off the entry level minions that are better than the end game levels including boss on Normal!

Saying that it's much harder!

Yeah, in BL2 most weapons (even legendaries) can be outclassed by white/green weapons 3~4 levels higher.
At least we can go straight to lvl 61 on Vita. I remember how painful it was to farm everything again when they raised the cap from 50 to 61 the first time..

DrFurbs

Please try these suggestions as per above:

Dave49er

With Fixed Minimap Rotation <ON>, your minimap doesn't spin around and redraw as you turn. The arrowhead representing you spins within the minimap. It takes some getting used to, but it seems to me to help keep the frame rate higher, especially when in battle.

Turning UI Sway <OFF> seems to help make the menus more responsive when swapping out items, marking items as junk, etc.

maouvin

Please try these suggestions as per above:

Dave49er

Will try that tonight - saw the original post by Dave49er and completely forgot when playing.
Setting the game to "offline" (press select on main menu) helps too.

DrFurbs

I've tried.. Played a coop game with a guy on one of the first levels ..Symbiosis. It was choppy as fuck but really good craic.

I have a question!

Since Bl2/vita mic is turned on NY default and the game is (I think) taxing the shizzle out of the vita... Would this be the reason why my voice chat was choppy too (I'm on fibre optic)..

Would the party chat be a better option.. Does it even over ride the in game chat?

Either way.. Coop is fun. Choppy but fun.

Lucifon

RGX6rkA.png

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/484248601024270336

Apparently the optimisation patch is live?

Ohnonono

So True Vault Hunter Mode was just too hard of a grind after getting to sancutary. I decided to turn it back to normal and just see if the last boss would respawn and he did! So I am basicly spawning him, dying, rezing up at the vending machines and then sniping him to death easily and its giving me decent look, eridium and xp. May just do this till I hit level 35 or so because that seems to be about where TVHM wants me to be.

I love this game. I cannot stand that they don't properly show that a target is slagged. It really makes it a crapshoot for characters that don't have some sort of auto slag or a good vortex/seeking slag grenade.

Edit:Also to clarify, in the vita version we can only go to True Vault Hunter Mode correct? On the other versions is there a third difficulty? If there is do we have access to it or does our only having the level 61 cap raise exclude us from that mode?

maouvin

So True Vault Hunter Mode was just too hard of a grind after getting to sancutary. I decided to turn it back to normal and just see if the last boss would respawn and he did! So I am basicly spawning him, dying, rezing up at the vending machines and then sniping him to death easily and its giving me decent look, eridium and xp. May just do this till I hit level 35 or so because that seems to be about where TVHM wants me to be.

I love this game. I cannot stand that they don't properly show that a target is slagged. It really makes it a crapshoot for characters that don't have some sort of auto slag or a good vortex/seeking slag grenade.

Edit:Also to clarify, in the vita version we can only go to True Vault Hunter Mode correct? On the other versions is there a third difficulty? If there is do we have access to it or does our only having the level 61 cap raise exclude us from that mode?

Vita has UVHM too.

And all your loot from farming the final boss on normal will be obsolet after a few (3~4) levels, so dont spend much time on it. Use some golden keys instead.

Ohnonono

Vita has UVHM too.

And all your loot from farming the final boss on normal will be obsolet after a few (3~4) levels, so dont spend much time on it. Use some golden keys instead.

I was more doing it for the XP. The run up to the boss then the boss seemed to be enough to level me faster than killing randoms in TVHM and then hitting a lvl 35 badass that I just could not take out. So hopefully if I get to 35 or so it will work out better.

DrFurbs

I didn't really notice much difference even in blood stronghold... Then it was coop. Still if you can get past the technical hiccups you'll love it.

Lucifon

I didn't really notice much difference even in blood stronghold... Then it was coop. Still if you can get past the technical hiccups you'll love it.

If I'm not mistaken the patch notes only mention improved performance in blood stronghold, I just assumed it was a game wide performance update. That's a shame!

LMN

Finally finish the game (normal mode) , I haven't play the DLC yet, should I played it now? or should I play TVH mode and play the DLC along the way in that mode?

Edit: NVM, I found Maouvin post

Omerta

Is this a good single-player game or do you NEED friends in multi to fully enjoy?

I'm only playing it single player and I'm loving it.

Any more opinions about the optimization patch? Anyone else can pitch in and say if it really got better?

Shit feels the same to me. I didn't have too much of a problem with performance before and as I said above - I'm loving the game - but everything feels the same to me.

To be fair, if you read the patch notes, it doesn't intimate that you'll get better performance game-wife post patch. It lists pretty specific fixes, non of them relating to frame rate.

maouvin

Just finished the main campaign on normal and played until meeting Hammerlock on TVHM. All of that setting the game to "offline" (press select on the main menu or on pause menu in-game - no need to keep the Vita offline/airplane mode).

The final areas of the game (Hero's Pass and beyond) did run better than I expected, as those are some busy and long areas. The fight against the final boss had no big fps drops too, and while I was worried about the end of the fight (he drops a lot of loot) the game didn't freak out. I skipped the credits.

Back to the beginning of the game, I could see the mystical powers of setting the game to "offline". It runs noticeably better. Fighting Knuckledragger on the first time had some fps dips that I didn't see now. I expect to reach Flynt tomorrow to see how it fares, and then jump on the DLCs.

I already said it a lot in this thread, but if you play solo, do so offline.

Shizuka

Maouvin, what are all the tweaks you made in order for the game to run better? Controls, graphics, everything.mi appreciate if you can help me get the game to run better.

maouvin

Maouvin, what are all the tweaks you made in order for the game to run better? Controls, graphics, everything.mi appreciate if you can help me get the game to run better.

Other than playing offline, I reduced the right stick sensitivity to 5 (to reduce screen tearing while aiming/looking around) and disabled the UI sway. This last one isn't as significant as the first two, but I liked having my UI static.

Someone suggested disabling the automap rotation, but I didn't get used to it and didn't see much of an improvement.

Some other things that help too: after entering a new area I wait a bit for the textures to load (at least the ones near me), same for vending machines before using them. After I got one crash by buying ammo mashing X, I buy them a tad more patiently. And I try to keep my playing sessions short, or at least save/quit/close the game and them jump back in after, say, a hour playing.

leng jai

The premise of this game is god tier on Vita but I can't play it for longer than about 30 minutes at a time. I mean it's playable but the framerate just gets too grating after a while.

I'm regretting not buying this on PC when it was in the Steam sale.

LinnyCkles

Neo Member
I'm seeing that a lot of people have updated with the patch. What's the general opinion on the improvements it offers?
I haven't played the game at all, so I'm looking at the Vita version. The metacritic score is a bit worrying though.

Shizuka

Other than playing offline, I reduced the right stick sensitivity to 5 (to reduce screen tearing while aiming/looking around) and disabled the UI sway. This last one isn't as significant as the first two, but I liked having my UI static.

Someone suggested disabling the automap rotation, but I didn't get used to it and didn't see much of an improvement.

Some other things that help too: after entering a new area I wait a bit for the textures to load (at least the ones near me), same for vending machines before using them. After I got one crash by buying ammo mashing X, I buy them a tad more patiently. And I try to keep my playing sessions short, or at least save/quit/close the game and them jump back in after, say, a hour playing.

Thanks, I'll follow your suggestions.

I'm seeing that a lot of people have updated with the patch. What's the general opinion on the improvements it offers?
I haven't played the game at all, so I'm looking at the Vita version. The metacritic score is a bit worrying though.

It is without question one of the most fun I have ever had playing a video gameGAIGEFORLIFE. No lie. Now I never played the "real" versions so the dips in frame rate etc didn't bother me at all...

However...oddly enough AFTER the patch the game crashed more than before :(

Top Bottom