• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

we have seen that European users have to wait until tomorrow, I ask those who have downloaded and installed the latest patch, the game becomes enjoyable?

Game already enjoyable. Patch doesnt change much. If you don't like the Framerate or anything technical already, give it up.

Game already enjoyable. Patch doesnt change much. If you don't like the Framerate or anything technical already, give it up.

Yeah I've been enjoying the hell out of this game, on my second playthrough but FUCK. After the latest patch, its been crashing for me about 5x as much as it did before. Today its crashed no more than 4 times.

FUCKING UP MY ANARCHY STACKS!!

magnetic

Good, that means I can finally delete this thing off my system and try to suppress my buyers remorse.

I gave it one last shot today and played for 90 minutes, had to stop playing because I got seasick. It´s a shame because I really enjoyed the game, but not to the point of letting it impact my health.

Yeah I've been enjoying the hell out of this game, on my second playthrough but FUCK. After the latest patch, its been crashing for me about 5x as much as it did before. Today its crashed no more than 4 times.

FUCKING UP MY ANARCHY STACKS!!

I've had 4 crashes total and have put 20 hours inbetween two characters: Siren and Mechro. I don't know why you guys have so many.

Good, that means I can finally delete this thing off my system and forget about it.

I gave it one last shot today and played for 90 minutes, had to stop playing because I got seasick. It´s a shame because I really enjoyed the game, but not to the point of letting it impact my health.

Shame. But I'm not judging, sucks.

magnetic

Thanks for the tip, but despite my earlier complaints I just can´t bring myself to quit that game. I guess I will just have to play in 15min bursts to avoid eye fatique or something like that.

Having a game of this scale on a handheld has always been something I´ve been yearning for. Maybe I´ll get used to the framerate sooner or later, and if not, I´ll just remind myself to take a break whenever I need it! And being able to just put the Vita into sleep mode and wake it up instantly again for a quick session helps with the problem.

I also JUST got a vehicle and now I keep running over those dumb bullymongs. Man, this game is SO FUN.

Omerta

I've put upwards of 25 hours into this thing and I've literally had one crash... That was travelling from one are to another - therefore passing a save point.

It's a real shame that some of you are having such a huge array of problems.

magnetic

"He´s crazy. He ate one of my cars once. ...yeah, the whole car. Like, with a fork."

Really suprised with how much I enjoy the writing in this game, didn´t expect that at all. Handsome Jacks voice acting is easily the best so far, and he´s both very entertaining and really disturbing in his cruelty. Reminds me a bit of the Joker in a way.

I´m even starting to get used to the shitty framerate - I once climbed on the very top of a high tower and was amazed with how many things the poor little Vita has to render at once. I was able to snipe enemies across the whole area.

I mean, it´s still definitely not ideal, but I guess I can forgive the technical issues given how massive this game is. Might be the best game I´ve played on the Vita yet - really glad I gave it one last chance!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
"He´s crazy. He ate one of my cars once. ...yeah, the whole car. Like, with a fork."

Really suprised with how much I enjoy the writing in this game, didn´t expect that at all. Handsome Jacks voice acting is easily the best so far, and he´s both very entertaining and really disturbing in his cruelty. Reminds me a bit of the Joker in a way.

I´m even starting to get used to the shitty framerate - I once climbed on the very top of a high tower and was amazed with how many things the poor little Vita has to render at once. I was able to snipe enemies across the whole area.

I mean, it´s still definitely not ideal, but I guess I can forgive the technical issues given how massive this game is. Might be the best game I´ve played on the Vita yet - really glad I gave it one last chance!

Are you me?

It's the perfect lunch hour game. 1 hour of comedy, grinding and therapeutic violence.

magnetic

Are you me?

It's the perfect lunch hour game. 1 hour of comedy, grinding and therapeutic violence.

Structurally, it reminds me a lot of what I played of Dragon Quest IX on DS. Grab the device, do some quick mission stuff, maybe reach a new town, get some story bits, rinse and repeat.

I don´t think I would enjoy this game on a console, because console games usually need to be a lot more exciting and intense for me to actually make the effort to fire up the console and sit in a specific spot for longer periods of time. On the Vita, it´s so easy to pick it up for a bit during the day.

Even the graphics work better on a handheld, the outline stuff reminds me a bit of what we´ve seen of Smash 3DS - the lack of photorealism makes it much easier to see on a smaller screen.

(It´s the same reason I´ve been playing the Vita version of NFS:Most Wanted A LOT more than my 360 copy - different genre, same "let´s do a quick race/mission or just drive/shoot around for a bit" feel.)

Ohnonono

I am going to say this and hope i dont get cursed. I have put over 20 hours into this game. I have done some side missions, but mostly main story stuff. I did the story missions in the preserve area that people complain about a lot. I have never crashed a single time. AS a note I ALWAYS play in offline mode. if you hit select before you continue your game you can set you game as offline. Not saying it helps, I may just be lucky, but it is what it is.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I don´t think I would enjoy this game on a console, because console games usually need to be a lot more exciting and intense for me to actually make the effort to fire up the console and sit in a specific spot for longer periods of time. On the Vita, it´s so easy to pick it up for a bit during the day.

I feel the same. The Vita is perfect for these kinds of grindy / open-hubby type games. I've got a feeling BL2 will keep me in happy lunch hours for quite a few months to come too.

As a Vita fangirl though, it's a shame it's a bit shoddy from a presentation perspective. I'd like the console to get more games like this - I utterly despise JRPGs so I'm not exactly spoilt for choice most of the time when it comes to a great big adventure.

Sony just seem obsessed with rushing Vita FPSs to market. I played through Resistance and it was OK, but it was the kind of thing that could've been done on an iOS / Android device (controls excepted, ofc). It was blatantly rushed though. From what I've seen of CoD, it's even worse. At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, another six months could've made this spectacular. I think the Vita could handle it :)

magnetic

I feel the same. The Vita is perfect for these kinds of grindy / open-hubby type games. I've got a feeling BL2 will keep me in happy lunch hours for quite a few months to come too.

As a Vita fangirl though, it's a shame it's a bit shoddy from a presentation perspective. I'd like the console to get more games like this - I utterly despise JRPGs so I'm not exactly spoilt for choice most of the time when it comes to a great big adventure.

Sony just seem obsessed with rushing Vita FPSs to market. I played through Resistance and it was OK, but it was the kind of thing that could've been done on an iOS / Android device (controls excepted, ofc). It was blatantly rushed though. From what I've seen of CoD, it's even worse. At the risk of repeating myself for the umpteenth time, another six months could've made this spectacular. I think the Vita could handle it :)

Yeah, Resistance was incredibly bland. Shoehorning touch controls into a game on a system that people buy BECAUSE it has two sticks and buttons was unbelievably lame. Killzone Mercenaries has the same swiping nonsense.

I´m just happy that we finally have an at least halfway competent handheld FPS!

Tigress

Yeah, Resistance was incredibly bland. Shoehorning touch controls into a game on a system that people buy BECAUSE it has two sticks and buttons was unbelievably lame. Killzone Mercenaries has the same swiping nonsense.

I´m just happy that we finally have an at least halfway competent handheld FPS!

I actually like it in Killzone for what they use it for. I didn't notice it in Resistance rather than noticing the really crappy story that was blatantly obvious it was only an excuse to shoot things (I only had the game cause it came with the used Vita I bought. I ended up trading it pretty quick as it was a pretty bland game).

It really shocked me to learn Resistance is normally a series known for its story cause it was so horrible in the Vita version (only version I've played). I know it's got a good rep but first impressions are pretty strong things so it's hard for me to believe.

GamerSoul

I think I might get some responses here. Out of the DLCs which one should I go for if I can only choose one? I've heard good things about Tiny Tina's Assault so should I go for that one?

ZeroAKA

For some reason, the default controls are starting to really click with me. I think I'm still too used to the PS3 controls.

Abylim

Soo I ended up returning this.

After giving it another shot, it crashed out to XMB twice more, and I lost abit of progress somehow =\

I'm done with it. Very disappointed with this port. It actually didnt play too bad, I dont like using the back touch for anything, but I was adjusting. Buuut the lack of cross DLC, or even the option to buy the dlc I already have for the PS3 kinda pisses me off. The real deal breaker is the frequent lock ups/crashes, though.
I'm fed up with playing games and wondering when its going to happen again. Not my idea of a good time, especially when I have a less buggy version on my PS3, with all the dlc.

Sorry Vita gaf, I do my best to buy a ton of Vita games, but I cant support this =\

spannicus

I have not had any crashes lately, game runs fine for me, frame rate hiccups here and there but I could not be happier....well maybe if they release more DLC.

LMN

Finally bought the game and having a blast, this game really is addicting. So far, I have experience 2 crashes, both in the 3 horns divide area. The frame rate is okay... some areas are better than the other, aside the latest patch, I really hope that Iron Galaxy will release more later to fix the frame rate issue (has it been confirm yet?), since playing for more than 3 hours straight with unstable frame rate create a lot of strain for my eye =(

Edit: And I really wish they add a option to turn off back touch, I'm using 1000 version, so my hand always touch the back pad.

Kattbuss

Edit: And I really wish they add a option to turn off back touch, I'm using 1000 version, so my hand always touch the back pad.

Me too. I'm waiting for that patch to hit EU so I can configure the back touch a bit. I've been forced to keep my hands off the back touch until now but holding the Vita like that makes my hands hurt after a while.

RE_Player

Just my personal experience but as a day 1 Vita user I actually like having melee and run on the rear touch. I do have somewhat tiny hands though.

SmokyDave

Can't stop playing this at every opportunity. Still boggles my mind that it's running on a portable. It's the closest I'll ever get to my handheld Fallout 3 dreams.

Just my personal experience but as a day 1 Vita user I actually like having melee and run on the rear touch. I do have somewhat tiny hands though.
Eh, I think you get used to it after a while. I've got big hands and I used to trigger the rear touch accidentally all the time, but it's never an issue nowadays. I think I found a nice default position playing through MGS Collection and it's just stuck. I'd still prefer triggers to rear touch, but I can definitely work with it.

Omerta

Well, I imported a Japanese, red vita before the western release and has no troubles either (tbh)...

I got a grip last year and haven't looked back since. I didn't find the og vita uncomfortable but these days, it's grip or nothing.

Kattbuss

If you're not using a grip, you're doing vita wrong

I never have any trouble with any of the Vita games that I've played, except for those that have some function on the rear touch. I prefer my Vita to stay portable and not add other things onto it.

Kattbuss

So no patch up yet for EU?
I'm not even sure of how to check for patches, I tried the update button on the game screen, the arrows spun for a while but nothing really happened.

If you're not using a grip, you're doing vita wrong
Yes. I don't understand problems people have with the TouchPad, been using it so long you know how to hold it. I haven't had a problem with the default controls at all.

/brofist
This is for EVERYONE with troubles on the rear touch pad. If you want to turn it off, put your two most unused features back there. Then go to options, change controls, and change the horizontal sensitivity of the rear touch. I have a 1k Vita. I turned my setting down one notch (default is 3, turned it to 2) and I had to stretch my dang finger to an almost uncomfortable distance to actually touch in the right spot. I imagine with the setting at 1, you would need to press in the very middle of the pad. I have decent size hands, too. It's the next best thing for those with issues. The 2k Vita might not be as extreme, due to smaller rear pad in general, but the best thing you can do is drastically reduce the size of the "active zone".

LMN

This is for EVERYONE with troubles on the rear touch pad. If you want to turn it off, put your two most unused features back there. Then go to options, change controls, and change the horizontal sensitivity of the rear touch. I have a 1k Vita. I turned my setting down one notch (default is 3, turned it to 2) and I had to stretch my dang finger to an almost uncomfortable distance to actually touch in the right spot. I imagine with the setting at 1, you would need to press in the very middle of the pad. I have decent size hands, too. It's the next best thing for those with issues. The 2k Vita might not be as extreme, due to smaller rear pad in general, but the best thing you can do is drastically reduce the size of the "active zone".

Thanks for the tip, will try it out now =)

maouvin

Don't remember if it was here or on reddit that someone said that being offline (in-game, via pressing select on the main menu) helps performance. Blimey, it really seems to work! I now dare say that playing in airplane mode is placebo, and setting the game to offline is the real deal!

Or maybe all of those are placebo. But try it, fellow solo players.

Don't remember if it was here or on reddit that someone said that being offline (in-game, via pressing select on the main menu) helps performance. Blimey, it really seems to work! I now dare say that playing in airplane mode is placebo, and setting the game to offline is the real deal!

Or maybe all of those are placebo. But try it, fellow solo players.

Actually, I think this does help. Heed this advice guys.

Trickster

This might be the wrong place to ask since I'm playing the pc version, but this seems to be the only active borderlands thread on GAF.

Anyway, I just completed the game and unlocked that true vault hunter mode thingy. What I would like to know, is if I should play through all the dlc before switching it over to the TVHM thing, despite it probably very easy and not giving me good items. Or would playing through the DLC in TVHM be a better overall experience do you think? I haven't played the DLC before, and I kinda want to be able to enjoy it and not be fighting for my survival all time, like I was during the end of the BL2 main story. I guess what I'm really asking is how hard is TVHM? I felt like BL2 was already plenty hard in the later parts of the game, I kept getting knocked down into low hp despite having decent shield, life and regen skills. And I don't really want that to deal with that when playing this new content

Top Bottom