• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection |OT| All Jacked Up

you cannot use your high level character to start a new game
you could before...it simply will only let you start at level one
and I have played all the borderlands games plus DLC
so why even bother porting a character I can only use at the last mission I was on
with my 360? useless

reddish

Neo Member
Having just an incredible amount of fun with 2 player couch co-op, but damn, they need to do something about a) the screen tearing on xbox one and b) split screen menus actually being legible -- I kinda can't believe this made it past testing.

tw1164

I had a weird bug last night. If I used a weapon w/ a scope it would just show a zoomed in view, it was missing the reticle/scope. I had to restart the game to fix it. The second problem was that my character start moving to 1/4 the normal speed and I wasn't able to run. It's the second time I've seen this happen. You have to restart the game to fix it.

geordiemp

Just bought the collection on PS4 and already regretting it. I'm playing TPS single player and the framerate is all over the place. If you're going to market your game as 60fps, it damn well better be 60fps. It's no fun being lied to. I recommend people on the fence wait for a patch that may or may never come.

Just bought the Ps4 game as well, going to play BL2 first as it seems to run better and get back to TPS and hopefully it will get some patch.

Getting a bit worried here, sloppy remasters and cash ins are getting too common, maybe I will hav eto start delaying my purchases for a week for pubs I don't trust,

I used to trust Borderland devs, not so sure now.

I think I should be getting this today. First time playing BL. Will start with BL2. Anything I should know, or is the setting and story explained when I start? Any last minute tips for starting?

There isn't anything I can think of. The intro does a good job of telling the story of what happened in Borderlands 1 (there wasn't much of a story there anyway) and it sets up Borderlands 2 in a good way. It's a fairly straight forward series that doesn't require much knowledge beforehand.

The only thing that might require some testing from your side is the characters. There are probably videos out there that shows off each character's skills, but it's probably better if you try it out for yourself and see which one you like the most. I would say that you really shouldn't play with the mechromancer, Gaige, at least. She is kind of over-powered and you'll probably have more fun with someone else.

There isn't anything I can think of. The intro does a good job of telling the story of what happened in Borderlands 1 (there wasn't much of a story there anyway) and it sets up Borderlands 2 in a good way. It's a fairly straight forward series that doesn't require much knowledge beforehand.

The only thing that might require some testing from your side is the characters. There are probably videos out there that shows off each character's skills, but it's probably better if you try it out for yourself and see which one you like the most. I would say that you really shouldn't play with the mechromancer, Gaige, at least. She is kind of over-powered and you'll probably have more fun with someone else.

Thanks. I was thinking about selecting the gunzerger guy because he looks fun. Though usually I'm a bit more into long and medium range weaponry in FPS games. Would that be a good mix? I don't care that much about min-maxing, but don't want to pick something useless either.

Thanks. I was thinking about selecting the gunzerger guy because he looks fun. Though usually I'm a bit more into long and medium range weaponry in FPS games. Would that be a good mix? I don't care that much about min-maxing, but don't want to pick something useless either.

You can check out the skill trees HERE. The gunzerker is medium to close range, I'd say. You can't really mess up your build, there is always the option to reset your skill tree if you feel like you want to change something.

You can check out the skill trees HERE. The gunzerker is medium to close range, I'd say. You can't really mess up your build, there is always the option to reset your skill tree if you feel like you want to change something.

Alright, thanks. I'll probably try all of them at some point anyway. With that being said, I'm starting to get a bit worried. Still haven't gotten the message from the shop I'm supposed to pick it up.

jesu

so why even bother porting a character I can only use at the last mission I was on
with my 360? useless

That sounds odd.
Can you not do True Vault Hunter Mode with your imported character?

Scanna

Hey guys I have both versions to choose from, which one do you suggest? One or PS4?
I had BL2 on the 360 but my HDD broke down years ago and I no more have the saves, so....

Hey guys I have both versions to choose from, which one do you suggest? One or PS4?
I had BL2 on the 360 but my HDD broke down years ago and I no more have the saves, so....

It performs better on PS4, but if you have friends who play it on Xbox One, then go with that one.

lonerism

Guys, anyone having issues with the digital version of TPS on the ps4?

I'm getting some serious framerate drops :(

Just beat the first boss and the experience It's just not the same

So I've never played Borderlands before but have picked this up. Which game should I start with? I know that obviously Borderlands 2 was released first but as a pre(se)quel I' not sure if I should maybe play TPS first. Can anyone help me out?

geordiemp

Just bought it, thanks for the warning, will play BL2 first.

TPS ran like crap on last gen versions (I did not buy it), but an extract from EG review of the last gen versions...

Textures pop in slowly, visual and audio glitches are common and the game often freezes for a second when too much is going on.

So if 2K just did a quick and dirty port then maybe we should not get our hopes up.

no maam

Banned
So I've never played Borderlands before but have picked this up. Which game should I start with? I know that obviously Borderlands 2 was released first but as a pre(se)quel I' not sure if I should maybe play TPS first. Can anyone help me out?

Go with 2.

Fury451

Banned

I think it's been going around that TPS has some framerate issues at the moment. Hopefully they will patch it out/clean it up, because I haven't played that one and was part of the reason I got the collection.

piccolo85

Sorry if this as been answered before, but I couldn't find it.

Is it possible to import my character (level, inventory, etc.) an my friends PS4 an play together with him in split screen? Then when I go back home my character and progress is synchronized again on my own PS4?!

Would be a real bummer if it wasn't possible...

lonerism

I'm playing as Nisha and man... she's sooo OP

Having a blast

Just bought it, thanks for the warning, will play BL2 first.

TPS ran like crap on last gen versions (I did not buy it), but an extract from EG review of the last gen versions...

So if 2K just did a quick and dirty port then maybe we should not get our hopes up.

I can't believe it -_-

I'm so disappointed

ObiDin

Just started last night as doppelganger, he a decent character?

Really good. I'm going down the Free Enterprise skill tree and loving it. The Digi-Jacks talking to each other and the doppleganger constantly trying but failing at being Jack is great.

bebop242

Just bought the Ps4 game as well, going to play BL2 first as it seems to run better and get back to TPS and hopefully it will get some patch.

Getting a bit worried here, sloppy remasters and cash ins are getting too common, maybe I will hav eto start delaying my purchases for a week for pubs I don't trust,

I used to trust Borderland devs, not so sure now.

I was going to pick this up today with bloodborne, but i just don't want to support a seemingly shotty port with a full price purchase. Will wait for a healthy patch or price drop, which is sad since Borderlands is my fav current IP.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Picked this up on PS4 to play with friends. The lack of PhysX effects from the PC version is SORELY missed, as these games definitely had some of the best use of the tech yet. Cloth that realistically deforms with bullet spray(like cutting through butter), an exponentially greater number of particle effects, bullet decals on surfaces that look more realistic with physics-driven pebbles and rubble that spread/bounces across the surface and ground. Just a lot more activity occurring on screen overall during even the tamest firefights. The gunplay just comes across as looking muted or neutered without them.

Still, BL2 at least looks nice holding closer to 60fps, far more pleasurable than last-gen for sure. The bits I have played of Pre-Sequel definitely show inconsistencies in performance, even in the early game where fights are hardly populated. A patch fix would help.

Really nice playing on my large TV as my controller can't extend to the couch from my PC, as its a real advantage over the PC for me. Still, those missing PhysX effects... :(

Dunlop

How is the local splitscreen performance

I am torn on which platform to by this for

xb1 - I have a $30 credit but only one gamepad
ps4 - No tax, but I could play local coop with my kids

I can't believe it -_-

I'm so disappointed

Played an hour of the PreSequel last night (disc copy) and while there were some frame drops-nothing terrible by any means- very fun (never played it)

however-Gearbox is aware of the issue and will be putting out a patch to address the framerate issues in both games on both XB1 and PS4

edit:my 30 minutes of BL2: ran incredibly smooth-

Dunlop

Sony is giving out 10 percent off codes right now too.

forgot about that, thanks!

edit: arg, it enrages me that I cannot just buy the freaking game from the mobile app using paypal. I wanted it downloaded and installed by the time I got back home tonight
edit2: LOL I cannot do it on the xb1 mobile app either

these companies really need to improve their applications so people like me can make spontaneous purchases, given me too long to think and I will realize I have a backlog of about a bajilion games

Wallach

Had to pick this up since I missed out on almost all the BL2 DLC (I only recall playing the pirate one and the start of the Torgue one), and haven't played TPS yet.

Starting back in BL2. I still love me some Borderlands, man. Runs great from what I've seen. Sticking to my Axton, also love me some nuke turrets. All those codes posted earlier totaled up to 90 Golden Keys, which I never felt were that useful at level cap so I've been popping them liberally in the early game. Already found some wonderful Torgue stuff, which have always been my joint in BL2 (especially the shotguns & Unkempt Harold).

Supposedly they added a pretty wicked legendary Torgue AR in one of the later DLCs, which I'm definitely going to be after. Axton should have a good time with that.

FLAguy954

Bummed that there is no way to transfer your save file if you don't have the last gen game. I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but it's still a bummer. At least I got 50 or so golden keys from that link posted earlier. Thanks for that.

I don't think there is a good reason imo. I was able to flawlessly import my BL2 saves from my Xbox 360 to my PC version of BL2.

Scanna

So I keep hearing about screen tearing issues with TPS on XB1 which is super disappointing. Is BL2 mostly okay? I'm wondering if I should buy it now and just play BL2 until TPS is fixed. If they are both messed up I'll just wait. Thanks.
I don't know, maybe I am overreacting but everything in BL2 on my first ten minutes in Xbox one looks sub 60fps. Especially menu navigation. Tearing still not there. Luckily I have both versions so I can try Ps4 and see if it's better and decide whether to hold on ti that instead

Fjordson

Loving BL 2 so far. I can't say I'm terribly interested in the main plot and some of the humour has missed pretty hard for me, but I find the "world" of Borderlands to be really interesting. If that makes sense? Like I love how when you walk into a room it actually feels kinda lived in. Lots of small objectives lying around, lots of small details in environments. And I enjoy the weird space western/sci-fi vibe to everything. That all comes across a lot more here than it did in the first game (at least from what I can remember).

It's part of why Tales from the Borderlands has been surprisingly great to me. I thought it was a weird idea for a Telltale series when it was announced, but the BL world is pretty neat and works well with Telltale's writing capabilities.

hydruxo

Loving BL 2 so far. I can't say I'm terribly interested in the main plot and some of the humour has missed pretty hard for me, but I find the "world" of Borderlands to be really interesting. If that makes sense? Like I love how when you walk into a room it actually feels kinda lived in. Lots of small objectives lying around, lots of small details in environments. And I enjoy the weird space western/sci-fi vibe to everything. That all comes across a lot more here than it did in the first game (at least from what I can remember).

It's part of why Tales from the Borderlands has been surprisingly great to me. I thought it was a weird idea for a Telltale series when it was announced, but the BL world is pretty neat and works well with Telltale's writing capabilities.

Borderlands has a unique charm to it. I know what you mean about the humor, it's definitely hit or miss. When it's on, it can be hilarious, but other times they resort to stupid jokes that don't really work. I think one of my favorite things about the world are the scope of the areas, like when you're in the Caustic Caverns/hole under Santcuary and you look up you can see all the buildings/areas you came down from. I don't know if I explained that right but even though graphically it's not a demanding game by any means, the world-building is really impressive to me in BL2. I can't wait to see what BL3 on current gen is like.

Fjordson

I think one of my favorite things about the world are the scope of the areas, like when you're in the Caustic Caverns/hole under Santcuary and you look up you can see all the buildings/areas you came down from. I don't know if I explained that right but even though graphically it's not a demanding game by any means, the world-building is really impressive to me in BL2. I can't wait to see what BL3 on current gen is like.
I definitely know what you mean. It's just put together really solidly.

And yeah, some of the humour is funny for sure. Even the stuff that I didn't like wasn't offensive or anything, just kinda "meh". But I'm really impressed by the game creatively (mechanically I knew I'd like it based on the first BL).

Scanna

I don't know, maybe I am overreacting but everything in BL2 on my first ten minutes in Xbox one looks sub 60fps. Especially menu navigation. Tearing still not there. Luckily I have both versions so I can try Ps4 and see if it's better and decide whether to hold on ti that instead
Quoting myself, Just played till the first boss on PS4 and it seems much more fluid. Will stick to this.

Just picked this up digitally as guess it's a game I will keep going back to. Starting over from the beginning and never really got in to it on the PS3 due to poor frame rates. Enjoying so far, although playing alone.

Feel free to add me if you want PSN AbandonedTrolley

CuteSpaceGoblin

Neo Member
Never played any Borderlands before but looking for something new now The Order has been completed (and traded in for store credit).

Is online co-op restricted to XBL/PSN friends lists, or can people drop in and out of your game a la PC/Mac Diablo III? Barely anyone on my friends list for either service so the equivalent of Diablo III's making a game public, or being able to casually drop into another's game for a while would be good.

Derpyduck

Banned
How is the local splitscreen performance

I am torn on which platform to by this for

xb1 - I have a $30 credit but only one gamepad
ps4 - No tax, but I could play local coop with my kids

Why are you paying tax on digital purchases for Xbox? Just "move".

shiba5

with my 360? useless

You could only ever reset UVHM. Choose your character and pick what mode you want. There will be a prompt to reset UVHM.

Borderlands 2 just has these awesome level layouts. The level designers were just really good at creating areas that look memorable the moment you step into them. Like the dippy part as soon as you enter Blacktoe Cavern... you don't forget it. As soon as you leave town in Southern Shelf, you encounter a camp to your right as you go downhill, just another spot that forever sticks in my brain. You instantly know where someone is when you look at screenshots from websites. Too many games look same-ish throughout. I really hope they kept the level designers for Borderlands 3. Bring them back and increase their pay to get them back in the studio if they have left, Gearbox!

I'm pretty much at the end of TPS and the only things I can say I like are that the characters talk a lot more and laser weapons..

I hate most of the side missions and the level design.

Top Bottom