• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reddit thread about this is filled with photos of him and his many boy toys, who are apparently hired as assistants for weeks at a time until he grows tired of them.

strobogo

Banned
The behind the scenes stuff from Superman Returns made me think of him as a man child with ADD who probably relates more to 17 year olds than people his own age. I couldn't believe this dude was in charge of a giant movie like that. And that it wasn't the first giant movie he had been in charge of.

injurai

Banned
I don't get it. Does xmen lean toward gay fans?

The social persecution that the mutants is very similar to that of any other persecuted minority. He obviously has his experience to draw on. Plus eventually there were gay mutants written, l believe nightcrawler is in a handful of interpretations including the movies. Though they never mention it.

Popnbake

I think I'm one of maybe 5 people who had no idea Singer was gay.

This thread was a shock for me.

Never knew he had his own rumors. ( and for years apparently?)

The Dan Schneider thing is one that I knew about.
However if he has such a terrible reputation, you would figure at least something more substantial would come out about him other than just rumors.

The social persecution that the mutants is very similar to that of any other persecuted minority. He obviously has his experience to draw on. Plus eventually there were gay mutants written, l believe nightcrawler is in a handful of interpretations including the movies. Though they never mention it.

Good point. There's nothing about a guy leading a secret double life and having to conceal who he really is that a gay person could identify with.

I mean Superman was born to two parents that didn't completely understand what he was except that he wasn't the same as them and he had to cope with being a child and teenager who knew he was different than the people around him too. No comparison.

X-Men is all about minority persecution, staying closeted, etc. Mutants are just a stand-in for race, sexuality, etc.

Good point. There's nothing about a guy leading a secret double life and having to conceal who he really is that a gay person could identify with.

I mean Superman was born to two parents that didn't completely understand what he was except that he wasn't the same as them and he had to cope with being a child and teenager who knew he was different than the people around him too. No comparison.

It's patently ridiculous to think that his sexuality plays into it.

Dead Man

Indeed. Superman has as many gay parallels as X Men.

kirblar

Except that it doesn't really work that way. He's an overdog who hides his identity because of his humility. He's a near godlike paragon figure, and if you approach him in the same way you would the X-Men you're going to completely miss his appeal to a wide swath of people.

injurai

Banned

Not gay.

Ostracized.

This is a story element I think anyone with half an awareness to society at large could deal with assuming they aren't a shit writing. We can assume Singer has awareness, not that it particular translates in any way shape or form. There is more to writing Superman than just those views, so it's easy to understand there was another source of error or incompetence.

Except that it doesn't really work that way. He's an overdog who hides his identity because of his humility. He's a near godlike paragon figure, and if you approach him in the same way you would the X-Men you're going to completely miss his appeal to a wide swath of people.

So you're seriously saying gay people can't relate to Superman.

Not gay.

Ostracized.

This is a story element I think anyone with half an awareness to society at large could deal with assuming they aren't a shit writing. We can assume Singer has awareness, not that it particular translates in any way shape or form. There is more to writing Superman than just those views, so it's easy to understand there was another source of error or incompetence.

The point is that we all relate to these characters based on our own experience and to say that someone can't, or won't relate as well based on something as personal and fluid as sexuality is ridiculous. Especially when there are obvious parallels.

The behind the scenes stuff from Superman Returns made me think of him as a man child with ADD who probably relates more to 17 year olds than people his own age. I couldn't believe this dude was in charge of a giant movie like that. And that it wasn't the first giant movie he had been in charge of.

What is this Superman Returns story that some people keep referencing? Is there somewhere I can read this cos now I'm curious.

You guys do know about Kevin Spacey right?

What about Kevin Spacey?

Dead Man

Yes, but there are plenty of parallels. Hidden identity, parents not understanding, being judged differently based on what you present, all sorts of shit.

Not gay.

Ostracized.

I don't really understand this post, sorry.

injurai

Banned
I don't really understand this post, sorry.

The first point is that the parallel is that of an unspecified ostracized minority. Not that the parallel is specifically that of a gay perspective in superman. Unless I misunderstood you.

The second is that I'm refuting the fact that Singer is gay is a point from which to argue why he understood the X-Men narrative and not Superman. I'm saying that sort of orientation is not a prerequisite, nor does it inhibit approaching certain topics. The shortcomings of telling Superman's story would be external to that particular trait of singer, and I wouldn't even lay the fulcrum on Singer when these are all such large collaborative projects to begin with.

akira28

Bryan Singer had an emotional connection to this young man, and wanted to be closer to him. Flying him to Hawaii for "sexual purposes" makes it sound like sex trafficking. Which is a reach that they'd love to make, but I don't really think it applies.

I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that trying to turn him into a wholly different Marvel-esque character archetype isn't going to work.

What does this have to do with homosexuality? He did this because he's gay?
It's ridiculous to suggest that perhaps the underlying thematic subtext material speaks to him in a way that he can relate to?
Did you read what I was replying to? I'm saying it's ridiculous to suggest his sexuality is why he can relate to one character with thematic subtext and not another that also has thematic subtext.

Blader

It's patently ridiculous to think that his sexuality plays into it.

It's ridiculous to think that someone who may be ostracized or persecuted because of his sexuality can relate to fictional characters who are ostracized and persecuted because of their minority status? I think Singer has even said he can connect to the property for that reason.

Effect

The media will have a feast. For shame, Singer.

That's if the lawsuit goes anywhere and if they even care or feel it will get them ratings. Media doesn't always jump on everything they should and sometimes goes after things they really shouldn't.

Edit: I'll just stay out of the rest of this.

Spacey is gay.

I've known since 2000 or so. Not quite, uh, first hand.

Congratulations.

But seriously, I had always heard rumors, just didn't know they were true. He's such a fantastic actor.

Spacey is gay?

image.php

Spacey is gay.

I've known since 2000 or so. Not quite, uh, first hand.

Thats when and what I heard.

I am not saying he likes the company of young boys, only that he is gay. Not that there is anything wrong at all with that. (one love across the earth for all mankind)

I was just asking because I thought it was well known that Singer was. I was surprised that it was a shock to so many.

Toa TAK

Banned
It's ridiculous to think that someone who may be ostracized or persecuted because of his sexuality can relate to fictional characters who are ostracized and persecuted because of their minority status? I think Singer has even said he can connect to the property for that reason.

Same with Ian McKellen as well.

Read what I said. I'm arguing that suggesting that sexuality playing into him being unable to relate to certain characters, which is what Kirblar inferred, is wrong.

kirblar

Read what I said. I'm arguing that suggesting that sexuality playing into him being unable to relate to certain characters, which is what Kirblar inferred, is wrong.
It's going to relate to him naturally understanding how to approach the story of a persecuted minority who are hated and feared by the general population, yes. How could it not? I'm saying that Superman is going to be rougher because if you try to translate that same underdog perspective, you miss the point. I think Superman is the single hardest of the major hero properties to write well.

mantidor

I'm not that knowledgeable about Superman but was he ever ashamed of his powers? because mutants do sometimes, being ashamed of who you are and overcoming it is something very relatable to gay people. Superman is, well, superman, he's a god in a way and I have never seen him portrayed as having a conflict about his own self. I guess they do in the comics, but it has never been a central part of the character, on the other hand being treated as different is the essential core of X-Men.

How do you end up flying to Hawaii, multiple times, with an adult man who is not a family member or friend of the family when you're 17?

It's going to relate to him naturally understanding how to approach the story of a persecuted minority who are hated and feared by the general population, yes. How could it not?

I think he's just disagreeing with your assessment in regards to Superman, not X-Men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom