• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bryan Singer (X-Men, Usual Suspects) accused of sexually abusing underage boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

If you mean the Mann act I thought it had to be prostitution or illegal sex, not just sex? If he wasn't paying and the age of consent was not breached and assuming it wasn't rape (which I am not convinced on either way) wouldn't he be in the clear?

The law is written very broadly so that its not so easy for people to get around it. Basically if the kid ever got anything from the guy as far as favors or anything of value its a lock.

This charge alone has a punishment range of 10 years to life.

Liamario

Banned
While I have no problem believing something happened. The timing of the suit and the detailed description of what happened, raises some flags. Why wait 15 years as well?

Spinluck

He proved that he could do it.

It's power-trip bullshit. There's no real purpose beyond doing something for the sake of doing it, and fuck everyone else.

Large numbers of famous people get off on that shit. Large numbers of people only want to become famous so they can partake of that shit.

Smh, sounds like when athletes treat the coach like shit because they can. Benching or punishing that particular player would mean losing on top of failure to the team. If the coach has any balls they put that fucker in their place though.

Prompto

Banned
Terrible if true. Not going to be easy to be proven true or be proven false I'm guessing.
He should have drugged the kid and fled to Paris. Then he'd be feted as a true artist.
I'm reading more into Polanski and I can't believe someone can get away with that. Seeing people I'm fans of like Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, and Darren Aronofsky support him is disheartening as well. Hollywood seems really scummy.

Dead Man

The law is written very broadly so that its not so easy for people to get around it. Basically if the kid ever got anything from the guy as far as favors or anything of value its a lock.

This charge alone has a punishment range of 10 years to life.

Fair enough.

Smh, sounds like when athletes treat the coach like shit because they can. Benching or punishing that particular player would mean losing on top of failure to the team. If the coach has any balls they put that fucker in their place though.

Nah, it's the reverse of that. It's the coach humiliating and shitting on the players because they have no real power in the situation and if they want any playing time, they have to take it.

Basically, anyone that played for Bobby Knight probably has an inkling what it's like to work for Michael Bay, in this loose analogy.

I'm reading more into Polanski and I can't believe someone can get away with that. Seeing people I'm fans of like Martin Scorsese, David Lynch, and Darren Aronofsky support him is disheartening as well. Hollywood seems really scummy.

When it comes to creative communities, sometimes successful people will choose to forgive shitty people their shitty sins, not because they really forgive them, but because they want the same to come their way when they get caught for their own transgressions. It's not so much forgiveness as it is a down payment on their own get-out-of-jail-free card when the court of public opinion is about to weigh in on them for their transgressions.

Rookje

fitchsinger.jpg

He's kinky.

Told you so.

Valhelm

contribute something
While I have no problem believing something happened. The timing of the suit and the detailed description of what happened, raises some flags. Why wait 15 years as well?

It's not uncommon. Rape (of any kind) is a horrific experience beyond compare. The victim might have been ashamed at first, or intimidated to not report it. He might not have realized how wrong it was at the time. The majority of molester priests were exposed or convicted decades after the abuses occurred.

No. He's gross. He treats his 'leading' ladies awful and when Megan spoke out about he has her blacklisted and she couldn't find work despite being the IT girl of the time.

Have you heard what he did to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley?

"I first met Michael back in 2009; it was on the set of the Christmas commercial for Victoria's Secret. I remember the first thing Michael said to me - before he even introduced himself or asked me my name — was 'Can you walk?' And I looked at him like, 'What is this man talking about? Yeah, of course I can walk.' And then he proceeded to tell them to get me in the car, and then I was driven - I mean, honestly, I want to say it was about half a mile out in the desert. I kept thinking, 'This is a joke, right?' And the car dumped me in the middle of the desert.

All I was wearing was a bra and underwear and a big, billowing, black, floor-length cape and high heels. And he says, 'OK, when we shout action, you're going to walk!' And I assumed I would be doing this in several stages. They yelled action, and the car sped off back to set, and I just was like, 'Well, what am I supposed to do?' So I walked all the way back to where the camera was standing, which took me — I would say a good 10, 12 minutes, and it was a proper runway stomp — on salt flats; it was like 100 degrees, felt like fire. I remember walking back and being not impressed by the whole thing. I was pretty pissed off afterwards; I just looked at Michael, and he goes, 'I guess you can walk, then.'"

Disgusting.

Yet she still signed on to be in his film making her his personal bitch during the shoot so I guess she was okay with that.

She was probably not okay with that at all.

Lots of people put up with lots of shit they shouldn't have to in order to do a job they'd really like to do. Not just in show business either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yet she still signed on to be in his film making her his personal bitch during the shoot so I guess she was okay with that.
I mean ultimately it is still her decision to choose the life she wants, but the exploitation of women in the entertainment industry pretty much knows no bounds. Extreme degrees of seduction and pressure that few are cut out for period.

She was probably not okay with that at all.

Lots of people put up with lots of shit they shouldn't have to in order to do a job they'd really like to do. Not just in show business either.

Sure but let's not pretend that any sort of dignity was being exercised by either of them.

Valhelm

contribute something

It's mind-boggling how Mia Farrow rallied behind Polanski even though her own daughter had been abused in almost identical circumstances. I guess Mia Farrow doesn't care about rape if her daughter isn't the victim.

Daft_Cat

It's not uncommon. Rape (of any kind) is a horrific experience beyond compare. The victim might have been ashamed at first, or intimidated to not report it. He might not have realized how wrong it was at the time. The majority of molester priests were exposed or convicted decades after the abuses occurred.

So he waits until the release of a major blockbuster that his rapist directed? What does he have? A vendetta? We ought to be willing to at least accept that there could be something malicious at play here.

No, I'm not defending rape. Nor am I defending Singer per say. I'm just suggesting that if we're going to speculate in one way, then we ought to be willing to at least entertain all the possibilities.

That said, regardless of whether or not the victim is trying to maximize the impact of his suit...if rape occurred, Singer should be criminally charged. A civil suit isn't enough.

ISOM

I live in LA and my goal is/was to enter into the film industry as soon as I graduate. I look up to Bryan Singer, and I enjoy a lot of his movies. The school I go to (USC) has a department named after him. If this is true, it's one more in a long list of 'behind the scenes' horror stories I've heard about this industry.

It makes me want to pack up and try my luck back in Canada (where I was born).

That's your choice but I hardly believe there is a place in the world where power and sex are not intertwined. Japan, korea, america etc. I have heard stories of sexual abuse going on in all these country's entertainment industry. It's pretty much human nature.

No. He's gross. He treats his 'leading' ladies awful and when Megan spoke out about he has her blacklisted and she couldn't find work despite being the IT girl of the time.

Blacklisted? I know she got kicked off Transformers because Steven Spielberg didn't appreciate her making lackadaisical Hitler references every so often. Never heard of her being blacklisted.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Not really new it's been known for a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time (since the 70's? I know the 80's at least) that Hollywood is "scummy" in regards to business and handling of actors and actresses of legal and under-legal age.

Blacklisted? I know she got kicked off Transformers because Steven Spielberg didn't appreciate her making lackadaisical Hitler references every so often. Never heard of her being blacklisted.

I dunno about blacklisted, but have you heard from her since that incident?

Sure but let's not pretend that any sort of dignity was being exercised by either of them.

What?

What exactly is the point you're trying to make here?

but she apparently went along with it so it's extremely difficult to sympathize.

Is it this?

Because that argument doesn't seem to take into account the vast power differential between the two parties, not just in terms of Director/Actor, but Man/Woman.

If they were equals on that set, your stance might carry weight. But they aren't, and your stance is really unfair and shortsighted because of that.

Lazyslob

Banned

Have you heard what he did to Rosie Huntington-Whiteley?

"I first met Michael back in 2009; it was on the set of the Christmas commercial for Victoria's Secret. I remember the first thing Michael said to me - before he even introduced himself or asked me my name — was 'Can you walk?' And I looked at him like, 'What is this man talking about? Yeah, of course I can walk.' And then he proceeded to tell them to get me in the car, and then I was driven - I mean, honestly, I want to say it was about half a mile out in the desert. I kept thinking, 'This is a joke, right?' And the car dumped me in the middle of the desert.

All I was wearing was a bra and underwear and a big, billowing, black, floor-length cape and high heels. And he says, 'OK, when we shout action, you're going to walk!' And I assumed I would be doing this in several stages. They yelled action, and the car sped off back to set, and I just was like, 'Well, what am I supposed to do?' So I walked all the way back to where the camera was standing, which took me — I would say a good 10, 12 minutes, and it was a proper runway stomp — on salt flats; it was like 100 degrees, felt like fire. I remember walking back and being not impressed by the whole thing. I was pretty pissed off afterwards; I just looked at Michael, and he goes, 'I guess you can walk, then.'"

That's messed up. The most i would do as a powerful director would shoot at people feet and make them "dance"

If they were equals on that set, your stance might carry weight. But they aren't, and your stance is really unfair and shortsighted because of that.

She said that before anything, before they really knew each other let alone when it comes to hiring, that Bay got her into a car and "made" her walk 12 miles in the desert before he's like "okay you can walk." I'm sorry but if she found that offensive at all, she could have declined all of it and could have given him the middle finger. But she didn't and went along with it and chose to be in Transformers. There is no line of dignity at play here, they were using each other for mutual gain and they both seem to have gotten what they wanted.

I'm not really trying to make some deep point here other than Bay used her for what she wanted and she gave Bay what she wanted. It is disgusting, but again, difficult to sympathize. I'm not arguing against anyone here that it isn't disgusting because it is. I'm just saying that I'm not exactly on her side of the matter either.

This thread on IMDb! Some of these boys! So fucking young looking, man.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001741/board/nest/206514215

Sweet Jesus.
Welp. Nothing wrong with smashing young people as long as they're 18 but some of those guys look underage, and obviously he has been dogged by these rumors for years.

The accuser could just be a jealous or upset guy who is mad that Brian dropped him, but I'm more apt to believe this was indeed rape, given the multitude of rumors. It's the same with Kevin Clash. If one person accuses you that could be bullshit. Same with two. But once you get to three or more there is clearly a fire burning.

TheSeks

Well, she's box office poison, all of her movies not named transformers have tanked. maybe is because of that you don't hear about her.

That's true as well. But since like Jonah Hex we haven't seen or heard of her, yeah?

Salsa

We know he's a gay guy who likes young guys. Plenty of pics of him posing with twinks out there. Nothing ilegal about that.

Most people who are freaked out by that wouldnt if this was a heterosexual case of a movie star dating someone young but in legal age

Clearly this is something else tho, but just putting it out there. "Seducing" people with money or fame is what everyone in hollywood does. If this is truly a case of him drugging and forcing himself onto someone else then of course it is beyond fucked, but I dont really care if he has some gay twins living with him under some sort of arrangement. That's up to him and his lovers. Shit's fishy and people often call "EW HE'S CREEPY!" about anything.

TheSeks

This thread on IMDb! Some of these boys! So fucking young looking, man.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001741/board/nest/206514215

Sweet Jesus.

Phoenix Dark said:
Welp. Nothing wrong with smashing young people as long as they're 18 but some of those guys look underage, and obviously he has been dogged by these rumors for years.

Not to feel like I'm throwing Delio under the bus, but he's posted some boys in the GayF thread that he says are 18 and while I'm sure Delio is not lying, they look extremely underage. It pretty much got "Delio, hon, stop..." on that front.

Twink is a weird category since you have 17-18 year olds that can look like 12-year-olds.

(Oh, hey he posted. Hi Delio! Know I love you, but am using you as an example of the Twink thing)

Valhelm

contribute something
I wonder if any powerful Hollywood women have these sex parties, or if it's just a male thing? Have there been reports of institutionalized abuse by women?

So sad what fame and power do to a person. You begin to cross lines that you shouldn't and now you're ruining lives. He's not the first and won't be the last. I hope that the allegations aren't true, but if they are then he needs to be stopped. Maybe this could be a wake-up call. The cynic in me says no.

I wonder if any powerful Hollywood women have these sex parties, or if it's just a male thing? Have there been reports of institutionalized abuse by women?

There'd have to be enough women in power over the course of Hollywood's history to constitute any sort of "institution" first.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

The accuser could just be a jealous or upset guy who is mad that Brian dropped him, but I'm more apt to believe this was indeed rape, given the multitude of rumors. It's the same with Kevin Clash. If one person accuses you that could be bullshit. Same with two. But once you get to three or more there is clearly a fire burning.

Or he was just granting wishes for all those X-Men fans. I mean, he did help bring X-Men back to the modern day scene. It sounds like a dirty defensive method. That IMDB post is pretty creepy. Like they had all this dirt on him for a while. Someone on the inside must have known this was going on for a long time, unless it's not true and everything under the sun went down.

Delio

Not to feel like I'm throwing Delio under the bus, but he's posted some boys in the GayF thread that he says are 18 and while I'm sure Delio is not lying, they look extremely underage. It pretty much got "Delio, hon, stop..." on that front.

Twink is a weird category since you have 17-18 year olds that can look like 12-year-olds.

(Oh, hey he posted. Hi Delio! Know I love you, but am using you as an example of the Twink thing)

Thanks a bunch -_-. But it's true. Twinks can look really young. I should note there can be older ones as well. It's all looks and stuff.

Valhelm

contribute something
There'd have to be enough women in power over the course of Hollywood's history to constitute any sort of "institution" first.

That's a good point. Presumably there are networks between female executives and filmmakers, though? At the same time, it's very, very likely that sexual abuse is so widespread because the film industry is so predominately male. A more egalitarian industry would be less tolerant of this shit.

Sean*O

Not really new it's been known for a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time (since the 70's? I know the 80's at least) that Hollywood is "scummy" in regards to business and handling of actors and actresses of legal and under-legal age.

I dunno about blacklisted, but have you heard from her since that incident?

Yeah she is playing April O'Neil in the new TMNT movie directed by none other than Michael Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom