• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

lt519

I'm going for it

Do it! I had them price match yesterday in store. Was planning on doing it through Discover on Black Friday but through Best Buy is easier and a nice surprise. Still got my price alerts set up on my PC though for that Discover match.

Got my KS8000 delivered by AGS, set it up, and...

I'm pissed.

Pissed I didn't get the 65 inch because this thing is awesome! No dead pixels, no cracks, perfect. Man this thing is pretty.

I just got mine as well. Not a dent on the box. About to hook this thing up now. I'm pissed too since I have to go back to work.

Do it! I had them price match yesterday in store. Was planning on doing it through Discover on Black Friday but through Best Buy is easier and a nice surprise. Still got my price alerts set up on my PC though for that Discover match.

Wait- so If you buy a TV with best buy and say you payed 1800 - and it drops to 1000,
you can have them price match it, even after you bought the TV?

Quonny

Wait- so If you buy a TV with best buy and say you payed 1800 - and it drops to 1000,

You have 15 days after purchase to price adjust. This does NOT apply to Black Friday. You cannot adjust to Black Friday prices.

ViciousDS

Banned

If you bought the KS8000 within the last 15 days and the price dropped to what it is now for the 55inch model.....which last I checked was about $1200 a week ago. You can go in and they will refund you the difference in the sale price. This does not apply to blakc friday, however the KS8000 at $999 right now is NOT the black friday price.

I did it with my xbox one sunset overdrive bundle as well. It dropped $50 within the return period when microsoft was going hard on sales....got $50 credited to my paypal

ViciousDS

Banned

post-29572-frodo-its-done-gif-imgur-tumbl-Tr3k.gif

picking it up sunday

so glad I have a hatch for a car lol

I was at Best Buy yesterday and they have some deal on a 4K Sony set with the pro down from $999 to around $600. Saw it yesterday when my neighbor picked up an LG OLED, then when the pro didn't work with the LG due to all the damn HDCP issues we took it back and the pallet of Sony TV's with the pro was nearly gone, down form like 15 to 2. So he returned the LG, picked up the Sony set and just had them credit his previous pro purchase in. It's one hell of a deal.

Edit: found the ad - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/offer/194521/pcmcat1477337825922.c?id=pcmcat1477337825922

If you bought the KS8000 within the last 15 days and the price dropped to what it is now for the 55inch model.....which last I checked was about $1200 a week ago. You can go in and they will refund you the difference in the sale price. This does not apply to blakc friday, however the KS8000 at $999 right now is NOT the black friday price.

I did it with my xbox one sunset overdrive bundle as well. It dropped $50 within the return period when microsoft was going hard on sales....got $50 credited to my paypal

Do you have to go to a store, or can I just call?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was at Best Buy yesterday and they have some deal on a 4K Sony set with the pro down from $999 to around $600. Saw it yesterday when my neighbor picked up an LG OLED, then when the pro didn't work with the LG due to all the damn HDCP issues we took it back and the pallet of Sony TV's with the pro was nearly gone, down form like 15 to 2. So he returned the LG, picked up the Sony set and just had them credit his previous pro purchase in. It's one hell of a deal.

Edit: found the ad - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/offer/194521/pcmcat1477337825922.c?id=pcmcat1477337825922

It's a big saving, but likewise a big step down vs an LG OLED (assuming one of the current b/c/e/g6)

I think the HDCP issue can be worked around?

It's a big saving, but likewise a big step down vs an LG OLED (assuming one of the current b/c/e/g6)

I think the HDCP issue can be worked around?
HDR doesn't work at present on the LG and there's s petition to have LG fix it. it was anew LG, pretty sure the B6. The Best Buy guys were in disbelief but in the end my neighbor was focusing on budget and with the HDCP issues he jumped on the Sony deal.

lt519

Price matching only works within the store deals or will they price say..walmart even after you bought it?

They will price match other stores at time of purchase, but not after from what I've read. I guess you could always return it, rebuy, and price match if there is no restocking fee but I'm not sure about that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
HDR doesn't work at present on the LG and there's s petition to have LG fix it. it was anew LG, pretty sure the B6. The Best Buy guys were in disbelief but in the end my neighbor was focusing on budget and with the HDCP issues he jumped on the Sony deal.

HDR works great. HDR doesn't work in game mode. Input lag in normal 4K/HDR is around 38-50ms. I'm not sure it would drop very much in game mode

Nothing wrong with focusing on budget

Edit: actually seems like input lag in 4K/HDR is lower than 1080p game mode

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b6

KodaRuss

I got my KS8000 delivered today. I have it all hooked up but I guess Ill have to mess with the settings tonight (stuck at work). My PS4 Pro is hooked up as well but I have not transferred anything yet. Kinda waiting to see if I should get an SSD for it first or not.

Punkrockguy

Neo Member
Fantastic. My TV that I ordered when they were on sale last week was scheduled to be delivered today. I just called them to verify and they are saying that a delivery appointment was never set up. That is straight up wrong. I set up the appointment with them on Friday. Now I wasted a day of vacation and I am going to have to waste another day to be here when it actually comes. I don't even have any idea when that would be because they said they would call me to set up an appointment. Which is bonkers because we already did that last week. AGS is horrible.

ViciousDS

Banned
http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un50ku6300fxza/

Samsung 50" 4K Motion Rate 120 Smart Ultra HD TV

Tell me this is a bad Black Friday deal for a gamer like me?

$397. I can't justify the cost of anything higher really.

The range of colors the Samsung TV can display is only good enough for Rec. 709 content. Sending an HDR signal or settings the color space to native will not give you a wider color gamut.

I wouldn't bother too much and just wait

ViciousDS

Banned
Thank you!

I'm just not going to bother with going 4K this year. Seems too early to jump that gun.

yes, for gaming wise you only have like.....3 options if you want to seriously get one.

X800D for low tier found at times around mid $500

KS8000 mid tier for about $1k

Then the LG B6.....however all LG's need firmware it seems to bring the input lag down. For some odd reason the input lag on the LG series.....cycle. So not only are you fighting framerate for consistency at times, your TV could feel decently responsive at the mid 30ms and then nearly double the next. It's absolutely not a great option for hardcore gamers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yes, for gaming wise you only have like.....3 options if you want to seriously get one.

Then the LG B6.....however all LG's need firmware it seems to bring the input lag down. For some odd reason the input lag on the LG series.....cycle. So not only are you fighting framerate for consistency at times, your TV could feel decently responsive at the mid 30ms and then nearly double the next. It's absolutely not a great option for hardcore gamers.

I think it's a little more granular than that

- Sony x800d at the lower end
- Samsung ks8000 (ks7000 in the uk) around 1k
- Sony XD93 1.5k
- LG B6 or Panasonic dx902 for about 2k

KevinG

- Sony XD93 1.5k

I just find myself overwhelmed by all these 4K discussions and the information therein.

I haven't researched and bought a TV myself since 2007, and that was just a 32" 720p VIZIO. Father-in-law bought my wife and I a 40" Phillips in 2012 as a wedding gift.

Making a purchase like this, I know I'm investing into a device for several years. I don't own a PS4 Pro yet, as I'm waiting to see what comes of the Scorpio, but I also know I can't just upgrade the TV and the console at the same time next year. I have to invest in one thing at a time, affordably. This just doesn't feel like affordable technology if I want the features that my hobby will be utilizing.

ViciousDS

Banned

- Sony XD93 1.5k

they don't even sell the dx902 in the states lol.....I did hear a lot about them though

ghibli99

I have a 43" LG, but the HDR input lag and RGBW for daily PC use has gotten really annoying. Otherwise, 4K game content looks really damn good on it, but I'll be switching it up to an X800D this week. That's all I have room for, and I won't buy Samsung due to past product failures and shit for support. Been a long time since I've used VA though, so we'll see what's what. :)

Mr. Sam

Any comment on the Panasonic TX-50DX750B? I was looking for a midrange TV, simply because I can't afford the more bleeding edge ones, and I came across a deal for a refurbished set from Panasonic for £700. It's got HDR - though not "full" HDR - a headphone output, and even has 3D as a bonus (yes, that actually does appeal to me). Supposedly latency is around 43ms. My one concern is that 1080p video might end up looking... soft? Is that at all founded?

Madness

- Sony XD93 1.5k

And then the ultra tier of the Sony Z9D ($5000) and the LG OLED E6. What is funny though, is that the cheaper and lower quality B6 hits a lot of the key things that the E6 struggles with like higher brightness.

I was a bit nervous, but I'm very happy with my KS8000. I need to tinker with the settings some more, but it looks great with minor adjustments out of the box. The panel appears to be flawless, or at least there's no deficiencies I'm able to notice.

Can anyone tell me what size M8 bolts I need in order to mount this tv? I'm going to be mounting it into a brick will and I really want to make sure I don't screw this up.

I was a bit nervous, but I'm very happy with my KS8000. I need to tinker with the settings some more, but it looks great with minor adjustments out of the box. The panel appears to be flawless, or at least there's no deficiencies I'm able to notice.

Can anyone tell me what size M8 bolts I need in order to mount this tv? I'm going to be mounting it into a brick will and I really want to make sure I don't screw this up.

I had to go out and buy 45mm panhead M8 screws. You don't need panhead, but they're the easiest.

The manual states 43mm-45mm for the 55". Check the manual for larger screens as the screw length changes.

ZOONAMI

- Sony XD93 1.5k

I would add the hisense h8c on the cheaper end of things. $499 for a 55 inch.

Very pleased with my h8c and just discovered it does 120Hz 1080p on hdmi 1 with my gaming rig. Passes ufo test and works flawlessly in games.

The only real knock against it imo is 80-86% of dci-p3 but hdr blurays and games look fanstastic. Black levels are also fantastic.

My wallet is hating Neogaf man.

All threads lately made me cave in and buy a LG Oled c6p.

Anyone fellow owner care to share their experience and preferred settings for 4K HDR movies and gaming?

I really appreciate it!

Arc07

Got the $200 refund email from Samsung today. $1140 shipped on this TV is just... stupid. It arrives Wednesday!

Madness

Got the $200 refund email from Samsung today. $1140 shipped on this TV is just... stupid. It arrives Wednesday!

Yeah 65" KS8000 for $1079.99 before tax. This is an almost flagship level television at below bargain pricing. Aside from the delivery lottery of defective or damaged sets, it is a steal.

Mindman

I am torn guys.

I can get the 49" KS8000 for $674 through the Perks at Work deal (which is an insane price), and deal with the possibility of returns, OR get the 43" Sony X800D for $650 locally, which might be better fit for my small space.

I know it seems stupid not to go for the KS8000, but dealing with returns would suck and the TV might a little too big for what I'm looking for. Halp GAF :\

Jarnet87

I am torn guys.

I can get the 49" KS8000 for $674 through the Perks at Work deal (which is an insane price), and deal with the possibility of returns, OR get the 43" Sony X800D for $650 locally, which might be better fit for my small space.

I know it seems stupid not to go for the KS8000, but dealing with returns would suck and the TV might a little too big for what I'm looking for. Halp GAF :\

I almost caved on buying the KS8000 49 inch at Best Buy the other day despite knowing it is too big for the bedroom lol. Price matching w/ Amazon it would have been $897. Looked really good in person, unfortunately didn't get to see the X800D.

ZOONAMI

Costco has some great deals on Vizio 4k tvs. Saw a 60 inch for 7 something and they have 65 inch vizios with Hdr for 999.00

Vizio m series only has one hdr input and input lag on them is pretty bad in general with hdr turned on, even the p series. They also don't have 444 support.

Very good full array local dimming though.

I'd honestly get a Hisense h8c over a vizio m or even p series, at least the under 60 inch vizios as they aren't 120Hz panels but the bigger ones are. Hisense h8c does 120Hz 1080p with a custom resolution on a pc.

If you are gonna spend a grand def get a ks8000.

Honestly with the hisense you get a 55 inch vs the Sony 49 inch as well for less money, So I went with that over the Sony even though the Sony was still in budget. Also the hisense is a VA panel vs an ips on the Sony 49 that people don't seem too fond of. 1080p 120Hz was an unexpected boon as well. For $500 I don't think you can beat the 55H8C. Pq wise it's better than the Panasonic 65ax800u it replaced that I paid $1800 for in early 2015. It's insane.

lt519

Sold my Vizio e601i-a3 for $350 to a co-worker. Had three people interested. Not bad for a 3 year old $800 TV. On top of the $180 I got for my PS4 not a bad upgrade process.

Just called Discover to initiate a Price Match on the TV but I have to wait for my Best Buy price match to post before I can start the claim process. I took screen shots with my phone as they don't show the Perks at Work image on the page pricing, hopefully I can sneak it by them :/

ZOONAMI

Sold my Vizio e601i-a3 for $350 to a co-worker. Had three people interested. Not bad for a 3 year old $800 TV. On top of the $180 I got for my PS4 not a bad upgrade process.

Just called Discover to initiate a Price Match on the TV but I have to wait for my Best Buy price match to post before I can start the claim process. I took screen shots with my phone as they don't show the Perks at Work image on the page pricing, hopefully I can sneak it by them :/

Took a killing on my panasonic ax800u, but it was only going to keep getting worse especially with panny leaving the US. Sold for $720, bought it for $1800 last year.

Vizio m series only has one hdr input and input lag on them is pretty bad in general with hdr turned on, even the p series. They also don't have 444 support.

Very good full array local dimming though.

I'd honestly get a Hisense h8c over a vizio m or even p series, at least the under 60 inch vizios as they aren't 120Hz panels but the bigger ones are. Hisense h8c does 120Hz 1080p with a custom resolution on a pc.

If you are gonna spend a grand def get a ks8000.

Honestly with the hisense you get a 55 inch vs the Sony 49 inch as well for less money, So I went with that over the Sony even though the Sony was still in budget. Also the hisense is a VA panel vs an ips on the Sony 49 that people don't seem too fond of. 1080p 120Hz was an unexpected boon as well. For $500 I don't think you can beat the 55H8C. Pq wise it's better than the Panasonic 65ax800u it replaced that I paid $1800 for in early 2015. It's insane.

Or the Samsung 6300/6290. I imagine you'll see a lot of good deals on those as well. But yea, the Hicense H8C is a great TV. Just remember while they are both HDR10 "Compliant" they do not have expanded luminance or color gammut. So will basically just be higher end SDR television. But for the price they're hard to beat.

ZOONAMI

Or the Samsung 6300/6290. I imagine you'll see a lot of good deals on those as well. But yea, the Hicense H8C is a great TV. Just remember while they are both HDR10 "Compliant" they do not have expanded luminance or color gammut. So will basically just be higher end SDR television. But for the price they're hard to beat.

80-86% of DPI-P3 is expanded over rec 709, it's not much worse than a vizio p-series (82-90%) and better than an lg uh7700 (the uh7700 has dolby vision support somehow).

The X800D also does not meet the luminance spec, and the H8C actually has higher peak brightness and and lower black levels than the sony, especially the ips model. It also has full array local dimming, not a ton of zones, but pq is better with it on than off imo, especially for HDR content.

I'd say it's easily better than the 6300 series and is very close to the x800d. I'd say the va 55H8C is a better purchase than the ips 49 x800d, regardless of cost.

I have a 43" LG, but the HDR input lag and RGBW for daily PC use has gotten really annoying. Otherwise, 4K game content looks really damn good on it, but I'll be switching it up to an X800D this week. That's all I have room for, and I won't buy Samsung due to past product failures and shit for support. Been a long time since I've used VA though, so we'll see what's what. :)

If you get that tv, make sure to use hdmi ports 2 and 3. Do not use 1 or 4 since it doesn't support 60hz nor HDR.

Also, you have to turn on enchanced hdmi in the settings or HDR nor RGB 444 will not work. Then verify your video output settings on your ps4.

That tv is awesome, I love it. But holy shit do they make you earn that 4k hdr goodness.

Top Bottom