• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

missfuuchan

Neo Member
Having had the Pro with our TV for a few days now - its the HDR I notice more than the 4k for me so far - my advice would definitely save the extra to go for HDR if you can. For games I've played like the new FFXV demo it really makes a difference to have HDR on.

(55" LG OLED 4K here)

BrunoM

Damn buying a new tv is damn confusing at this point ...

I'm starting to think that waiting 6 months or so would be the best option for me when there's some solid concensus on what a handful of tvs are ..

Plus price will move down what's always a good thing ..

I live in toronto Canada so looking to spend 800~1000 so price moving down is always a good thing

julrik

The 55" KS8000 afaik every one except the 60"? Uses the same panel revision.
Pretty sure there are two different panels. Samsung's own panel and a AO2 (not sure if I got that right?) panel.

Edit: The panel model is both on the box and on the back of the TV, if you can be so kind to check. It's part of the model number AFAIK.

Pretty sure there are two different panels. Samsung's own panel and a AO2 (not sure if I got that right?) panel.

Edit: The panel model is both on the box and on the back of the TV, if you can be so kind to check. It's part of the model number AFAIK.

No problem Mr. Ryan ;) just give me a moment.

Edit: Says AA02 for Version.

DBT85

hi guys

I'm buying a 4K tv for the first time. My budget is £500 ish and I got this from a lightning deal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HM7JNLU/ (Sony Bravia KD43XD8077)

I've ready online that it is a HDR10 panel. Anyone got experience of the Sony Bravia XD80 range?

Any other recommendations for my budget? I currently have a 32" TV so 43" is a good enough upgrade (my wife wasn't too keen on 50")

Am I reading correctly and that you bought it already?

If so, then this is the thread for you :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276558

I was at Best Buy yesterday and they have some deal on a 4K Sony set with the pro down from $999 to around $600. Saw it yesterday when my neighbor picked up an LG OLED, then when the pro didn't work with the LG due to all the damn HDCP issues we took it back and the pallet of Sony TV's with the pro was nearly gone, down form like 15 to 2. So he returned the LG, picked up the Sony set and just had them credit his previous pro purchase in. It's one hell of a deal.

Edit: found the ad - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/offer/194521/pcmcat1477337825922.c?id=pcmcat1477337825922

So he got the tv and pro for 600?

Edit: nevermind, i thought the tv had wcg but it doesnt. PQ wise it seems like the less expensive ku6300 and h8c which also dont have wcg still provides better contrast and PQ. The ku has better input lag as well.

NP, I just saw your edit. That takes you into a new bracket usually. I think as stated you can look into the X800D which meets the standards for the HDR10 true experience more closely.

See if you can't get an invite to the EPP deal though, if you can get the 55" KS8000 It's absolutely worth stretching your budget a little.

Is that deal still going on? I logged into my perksatwork account and dont see it for that price.

Is that deal still going on? I logged into my perksatwork account and dont see it for that price.

I keep hearing people say it is. But my perks to work account says "only available to employees" if I try to load the Samsung store now.

I seriously would have gone with the 65" if I had known it was only 1029 or 1079. Oh well I got a great unit and I'm pretty happy.

Haha. Thanks, man. The AA02 seems to be the best panel this year. Gotta get me one of those. Thanks again.

No problem!

I keep hearing people say it is. But my perks to work account says "only available to employees" if I try to load the Samsung store now.

I seriously would have gone with the 65" if I had known it was only 1029 or 1079. Oh well I got a great unit and I'm pretty happy.

No problem!

Its weird because when the EEP deal first showed up 2 weeks ago, i had the tv in my cart and it showed 729. I was going back and forth deciding on the size, and when i finally decided, it was sold out.Now when i log in, it shows 999.

noomi

55" ks8000 is 899 at microcenter, in store only. Not as good as the EEP deal, but i think that's 100 less than BB.

Oh man.... that's such a great deal. My microcenter only has 3.5% sales tax too.... my wife will be mad if I get it... but shit... I NEED THIS TV.

Gotta convince her.. they only have 3 in stock left...

This is more of a general TV question...

Anybody have any experience with the Sony XBR-65X750D?

A 65 inch 4k set by Sony that has HDR? FOR $1200?!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-64-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4803800.p?skuId=4803800

I'm curious if anybody has this set...... just trying to futureproof for Scorpio and perhaps PS4 Pro4k movies some day soon...........

Thank you!

That tv has a 10bit panel, but doesnt support wcg for hdr10.

Oh man.... that's such a great deal. My microcenter only has 3.5% sales tax too.... my wife will be mad if I get it... but shit... I NEED THIS TV.

Gotta convince her.. they only have 3 in stock left...

Show her the regular retail price first, she might be ok with it since you'll be able to save some money.

Vlaphor

I am in this bizarre position with TV hunting right now. I recently got a nice 4k tv for $200 on clearance from Wal-Mart. It's a JU6500 Samsung and I'm insanely happy with it, but it doesn't have HDR and everything I'm reading tells me that HDR is more important than 4k right now.

The problem is, I use my TV as my computer monitor and lag would be unbearable, so I don't know which is the best TV to get if I want to get a new one (could easily sell my current unit for $300-$400 and I have the money for the rest), or if any HDR modes would add lag, so I'm trying to see which models work best as a computer monitor with all the trimmings. I'm currently running 4k 60hz 4:4:4 with an active DP to HDMI adapter so I can use my main HDMI for sound due to an older receiver that can't handle 4k...but are there any receivers that can handle 4k 60 4:4:4: Questions like these are what's keeping me from taking the deep dive into HDR right now. It took awhile to get my current setup just the way I like it.

I am in this bizarre position with TV hunting right now. I recently got a nice 4k tv for $200 on clearance from Wal-Mart. It's a JU6500 Samsung and I'm insanely happy with it, but it doesn't have HDR and everything I'm reading tells me that HDR is more important than 4k right now.

The problem is, I use my TV as my computer monitor and lag would be unbearable, so I don't know which is the best TV to get if I want to get a new one (could easily sell my current unit for $300-$400 and I have the money for the rest), or if any HDR modes would add lag, so I'm trying to see which models work best as a computer monitor with all the trimmings. I'm currently running 4k 60hz 4:4:4 with an active DP to HDMI adapter so I can use my main HDMI for sound due to an older receiver that can't handle 4k...but are there any receivers that can handle 4k 60 4:4:4: Questions like these are what's keeping me from taking the deep dive into HDR right now. It took awhile to get my current setup just the way I like it.

I cant answer your question, but i also know a few people that got it on clearance. For $200 you really cant complain. It looks pretty damn good in 4k.

Vlaphor

I cant answer your question, but i also know a few people that got it on clearance. For $200 you really cant complain. It looks pretty damn good in 4k.

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining about the TV at all, it's just that I am interested in HDR content, though I have no idea what it even looks like to be honest. Every store demo I've seen are always the fake ones where they have an image that looks like the result of a coaxial cable with a poor connection serving as the pre-HDR image and then the "real" HDR next to it, so I don't have a good basis of what HDR really looks like.

noomi

Show her the regular retail price first, she might be ok with it since you'll be able to save some money.

Stubborn wife is stubborn :(

Already texted her and got a big fat "NO!". Maybe if I'm super awesome over the next few days she'll let me :p

There are only 3 in stock in my store.... so hopefully it lasts till the end of the week. Pray for me gaf

Already texted her and got a big fat "NO!". Maybe if I'm super awesome over the next few days she'll let me :p

There are only 3 in stock in my store.... so hopefully it lasts till the end of the week. Pray for me gaf

My prayers are with you Noomi.

so this is more of a general Samsung question than a PS4 pro question... I saw that Target will have this Samsung 50 inch 4k TV model UN50KU6300 on Black Friday for 399 and seeing as I live in Puerto Rico and they actually offer free shipping and no tax (!!) I am seriously considering getting it. Is this TV worth it for basic Netflix 4k viewing and is it future proof for PS4 Pro and Scorpio next year or shall I save my money? I know that it doesn't have HDR and that seems to be the rage right now but I just want a nice 4k set for cheap!

Oh yeah, I'm not complaining about the TV at all, it's just that I am interested in HDR content, though I have no idea what it even looks like to be honest. Every store demo I've seen are always the fake ones where they have an image that looks like the result of a coaxial cable with a poor connection serving as the pre-HDR image and then the "real" HDR next to it, so I don't have a good basis of what HDR really looks like.

If possible, go to a bestbuy with a magnolia center. I see a lot of tvs in there hooked up to their own uhd player, usually playing a movie with hdr.

Another option is go here:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?tag=hdr

Download a few hdr demos onto a usb stick, then go to a store (I've done it at BB and frys) and ask them if you could test this file. I have done this about 7-8 times and they were cool with it.

Even before you take it to a store, try it on your tv first, to see the difference between sdr and hdr.

Lnkn52

praying to the Marriagesus out there 🙏

so this is more of a general Samsung question than a PS4 pro question... I saw that Target will have this Samsung 50 inch 4k TV model UN50KU6300 on Black Friday for 399 and seeing as I live in Puerto Rico and they actually offer free shipping and no tax (!!) I am seriously considering getting it. Is this TV worth it for basic Netflix 4k viewing and is it future proof for PS4 Pro and Scorpio next year or shall I save my money? I know that it doesn't have HDR and that seems to be the rage right now but I just want a nice 4k set for cheap!

I have seen this tv in a home setting and played games on it. Games are great, and input lag is pretty low. Picture quality for bluray and uhd demos looked very good for the price. Check amazon warehouse. My friend bought a 55" ku6300 with 2 year warranty for about $400.

ZOONAMI

The Hisense is a 60hz native panel btw. 120hz is only with motion interpolation. The 6300 is the same.

If I can set it to 120Hz in Nvidia control panel and it passes the ufo test is that interpolation?

Hisense support has said it is 120Hz and also that they were going to update it to support 120hz, so it's confusing.

I don't really trust Rtings as gospel, especially because they reviewed the 50 inch and there are no reviews on the 55 inch.

As discussed in another thread their color gamut ratings are hogwash as well (based on 25% dci xy 25% dci uv 25% 2020 25% 2020 uv, and it appears they just say a set only has rec 709 if it doesn't hit 7.5 score based on that, regardless of dci-p3 and 2020 scores clearly being better than just rec 709). It also puts too much weight on 2020 because no one is making any 2020 content.

For future reference, what counts as "inactivity"?

If I'm watching a Youtube video and I don't lower/increase the volume, does that count for inactivity? And what about the PS4 home screen?

And how quick would a burn in appear? 3h? 1h?

With the new oled tvs almost in every case burn in is not permanent, as long as you use it regularly as in play some games, watch a movie. They've run test where they left a menu on for over 24 hours and still after a fews days of normal use it went away. Shorter burn in that happens when watching say a show with the logo on the screen will go away after you turn the set off and on again.

SOLDIER

I have a weird thing going on with my newly-purchased LG E6 OLEd, and I'm trying to determine if this is intentional or a possible defect.

When I hit the all settings menu, it opens up a transparent menu that takes up the left side of the screen. During this, the right side of my screen (the unobscured picture) gets noticeably brighter and more vibrant. When I close the all settings menu, the picture reverts back.

I would really love it if I could get the screen to look like it does when the settings menu is up: it's precisely the right level of brightness and vibrancy I want, and the set would be perfect. But I've tried all sorts of picture settings and just can't seem to replicate the effect. I've also asked a couple of folks who own the set, and they claim that their picture doesn't brigthen up the way mine does with the settings menu.

I plan to call LG in the hopes they send someone to take a look, but more than anything I'd love to know if this is intentional or not, and whether or not it's a picture level I can obtain.

I have a vizio m 2015 50 inch 4k tv. It has an HDMI 2.0 port with HDCP 2.2. When i select RGB, or Automatic, the screen goes black and i have to boot back into safe mode to get the Ps4 to output to my TV again. YUV420 works. Does anyone know why my TV is doing this? I think it has RGB support. I saw an RGB option in the settings, and the Xbox One S works with RGB.

If I can set it to 120Hz in Nvidia control panel and it passes the ufo test is that interpolation?

Hisense support has said it is 120Hz and also that they were going to update it to support 120hz, so it's confusing.

I don't really trust Rtings as gospel, especially because they reviewed the 50 inch and there are no reviews on the 55 inch.

As discussed in another thread their color gamut ratings are hogwash as well (based on 25% dci xy 25% dci uv 25% 2020 25% 2020 uv, and it appears they just say a set only has rec 709 if it doesn't hit 7.5 score based on that, regardless of dci-p3 and 2020 scores clearly being better than just rec 709). It also puts too much weight on 2020 because no one is making any 2020 content.

Reviewed.com, displayspecifications, and hdguru also say it's native 60hz, and that it has good rec 709. Pcmag doesn't say 60hz, but says 60frames per second.
If you're happy with your tv, dont worry about reviews/specs.

For future reference, what counts as "inactivity"?

If I'm watching a Youtube video and I don't lower/increase the volume, does that count for inactivity? And what about the PS4 home screen?

And how quick would a burn in appear? 3h? 1h?

With the new oled tvs almost in every case burn in is not permanent, as long as you use it normally on a regular basis. They've run test where they left a menu on for over 24 hours and still after a few days of normal use it went away. Shorter burn in that happens when watching say a show with a logo on the screen will go away after you turn the set off and on again. There is also a wash feature to reset the pixels that you can use once in a a while to be sure.

DBT85

The best part of your new £1600 TV arriving is taking it all out of the box, that neatly perfectly packed box with lots of other stuff in it, and then looking at your TV and seeing that it's bent. It hits you in that instant that you've got to do the impossible, the thing you never expected. Put it all back where it came from.

Not a happy camper.

Is the EPP still available for the KS8000? or is that deal dead now? If so, would really dig an invite. Don't really have much to offer in return besides some appreciation.... unless if someone wants an Amazon infinite warfare code for $20 off, I have that I guess?..."itssomething.gif"

Struggling to find HDR specs for the Sony kd49xd7005

Can get it for £575 from Argos using the code 'TV10'

Anyone know if its any good?

edit: sounds like its the 8000 series onward that has HDR10

ZOONAMI

Reviewed.com, displayspecifications, and hdguru also say it's native 60hz, and that it has good rec 709. Pcmag doesn't say 60hz, but says 60frames per second.
If you're happy with your tv, dont worry about reviews/specs.

Right, but they may not have tried to run a 120Hz resolution with a pc.

I would like to know if I'm actually running some weird interpolation set up and not 120hz.

Passes the ufo motion test for 120Hz so I'm inclined to believe it is running at 120Hz.

Right, but they may not have tried to run a 120Hz resolution with a pc.

I would like to know if I'm actually running some weird interpolation set up and not 120hz.

Passes the ufo motion test for 120Hz so I'm inclined to believe it is running at 120Hz.

They probably didnt run the test because the hdmi only supports 60hz.

What i would do is go to friend or if you have another tv (that is native 60hz) that does motion interpolation and try thr ufo test on those tvs and see if they pass. I guess that would be the only way to know for sure.

RobotVM

What is the issue with the KS8000 60"? What is the difference in the panel? I was about to buy this model but maybe I should just get the 65"? I have the screenshot of the EPP price so I could get my Discover card to price match.

Lady Gaia

Says AA02 for Version.

Same panel here and I'm extremely pleased with it. I've seen claims that the Samsung (FA1) panel has slightly wider viewing angles without loss of color saturation, but that it's more prone to edge lighting leakage. I can't speak from personal experience (though now I'm really curious about our other KS8000 but I won't be able to check the box until around Christmas.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a weird thing going on with my newly-purchased LG E6 OLEd, and I'm trying to determine if this is intentional or a possible defect.

When I hit the all settings menu, it opens up a transparent menu that takes up the left side of the screen. During this, the right side of my screen (the unobscured picture) gets noticeably brighter and more vibrant. When I close the all settings menu, the picture reverts back.

I would really love it if I could get the screen to look like it does when the settings menu is up: it's precisely the right level of brightness and vibrancy I want, and the set would be perfect. But I've tried all sorts of picture settings and just can't seem to replicate the effect. I've also asked a couple of folks who own the set, and they claim that their picture doesn't brigthen up the way mine does with the settings menu.

I plan to call LG in the hopes they send someone to take a look, but more than anything I'd love to know if this is intentional or not, and whether or not it's a picture level I can obtain.

LG OLEDs have auto brightness control - they cant/won't go as bright on a full white screen compared to a half screen or smaller. Not sure why. So eg for HDR they can do 550nits in a small 2% window, but only 100ish on a full screen.

That might be what you're seeing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The best part of your new £1600 TV arriving is taking it all out of the box, that neatly perfectly packed box with lots of other stuff in it, and then looking at your TV and seeing that it's bent. It hits you in that instant that you've got to do the impossible, the thing you never expected. Put it all back where it came from.

Not a happy camper.

Nooo. Any pics before you put it away?

DBT85

Nooo. Any pics before you put it away?

Just a couple of the sides. I'll just post the one, it's fairly obvious lol.

mXrz14b.jpg

I have seen this tv in a home setting and played games on it. Games are great, and input lag is pretty low. Picture quality for bluray and uhd demos looked very good for the price. Check amazon warehouse. My friend bought a 55" ku6300 with 2 year warranty for about $400.

thanks for the input! Upon looking at the specs closely it appears as if this version supports HDR. I still have a week to decide so I'll keep on reading.

Top Bottom