• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

ghibli99

^ Thanks for the tips! The enhanced HDMI setting sound like the deep color ones I had to enable on the LG... buried deep in a menu for some reason.

I am torn guys.

I can get the 49" KS8000 for $674 through the Perks at Work deal (which is an insane price), and deal with the possibility of returns, OR get the 43" Sony X800D for $650 locally, which might be better fit for my small space.

I know it seems stupid not to go for the KS8000, but dealing with returns would suck and the TV might a little too big for what I'm looking for. Halp GAF :\
I was in a similar situation, and decided to go with the Sony. It's a desktop replacement, so I'm only sitting 2.5' from it.

Perfect. I'm about to go get the mount and screws now then.

Kind of wish I got the 65" for $1027 now. Oh well, still got a great deal.

I know exactly how you feel. I swear the EPP deal for the 65" wasn't $1027 when I did the deal last weekend though. Regardless, I don't really need that big of a TV and I saved a few hundred bucks. I'm just happy to have gotten such a good deal.

Some pictures of your new TVs would be much obliged. Black levels, light bleed, etc.

Here's the KS8000, keep in mind obviously a picture is not going to be representative of the bleed in person. I think there's barely and in the pictures and I really can't see any in person at all.

In the pictures there's an obvious center band of light, but in person it's not nearly as apparent and the uniformity is fantastic.

0%
25356020279_503cb7f0ab_o.jpg

10%

20% out of focus

30%

... skip some

70%

100%

Getting a PS4 pro on Friday. Plan on getting a 4K tv wishing the next two weeks. You guys seem very knowledgeable lol. What's my best options between $400-$499?

Edit: actually 599 since I'll be selling my existing 55 in LG

Aspiring

Hey guys just had a thought and tried to search but have no idea. I own a Sony xbr70x850b. I know the TV dors not support HDR but was curious as to why ut cant output 2160p RGB? As far as i know it supports HDCP 2.2 so shouldnt it work? I am very confused.

Thanks so much.

aparisi2274

I know this thread is more about the TV, but have any of you been hooking your new 4k HDR sets into receivers? I am planning on getting the 49" Sony 4k HDR set soon, and the eventual PS4 Pro, and am looking to find out if either of these receivers will pass through the 4k and HDR signals to the TV...

Onkyo TX-SR353 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver

front_large.jpg

back_large.jpg

SR353-2016-hdmi-hdcp.jpg

OR.....

Sony 7.2 Channel Home Theater AV Receiver

cdd841429ea8cbe58a36d52faa2b8f2a

d635ab721408a227d43002b656baf53c

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone can recommend a really good 5.1 receiver I'd appreciate that as well, since I am most likely not going to take advantage of the extra channels on the 7/2 receivers.

So, according to a friend who has the Pro, the Slim, and the Sony DH770 receiver, he is telling me that the receiver will not passthrough an HDR signal from the Pro. If you turn the receiver HDMI port to Enhanced (needed for HDR) the Pro doesn't output video to it. Non-HDR 4k works though.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Getting a PS4 pro on Friday. Plan on getting a 4K tv wishing the next two weeks. You guys seem very knowledgeable lol. What's my best options between $400-$499?

The Hisense 50H8C
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/h8c

Or Samsung KU 6300/6290.
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

It depends on what you are using it for primarily, but I'd say the Hisense edges out the 6290. See what kind of deal you can get though.

https://youtu.be/v4GjXRWFf6E

What's the differences bt the h8c and the ks8000? (I know stupid question)

The KS8000 has better contrast ratios, can get way brighter, over 3x at peak, wider color gamut, 120hz panel which means motion judder handling because there's no pulldown issues. Motion Interpolation for sports watching to get the soap opera effect of extra frames, which is desirable for some (I say sports watching because I hate it on everything outside that). Lower input lag. Better smart TV OS and features, Thinner Bezel.

The KS8000 is in another league if I'm being honest, if you can get it for the deal we got in the EPP for $729 I'd really recommend trying to find some extra cash for it.

The KS8000 has better contrast ratios, can get way brighter, over 3x at peak, wider color gamut, 120hz panel which means motion judder handling because there's no pulldown issues. Motion Interpolation for sports watching to get the soap opera effect of extra frames, which is desirable for some (I say sports watching because I hate it on everything outside that). Lower input lag. Better smart TV OS and features, Thinner Bezel.

The KS8000 is in another league if I'm being honest, if you can get it for the deal we got in the EPP for $729 I'd really recommend trying to find some extra cash for it.
I have to get it at best buy as id be using my bb credit card. Worth double the price?

Thank you. Much appreciated

NP, I just saw your edit. That takes you into a new bracket usually. I think as stated you can look into the X800D which meets the standards for the HDR10 true experience more closely.

See if you can't get an invite to the EPP deal though, if you can get the 55" KS8000 It's absolutely worth stretching your budget a little.

I have to get it at best buy as id be using my bb credit card. Worth double the price?

That's hard to say. I'd recommend you go into BB and see if they have the TV's on display, ask for the remote and adjust some of their settings to not be entirely blown out. You may find it's not worth it to you. I think personally, it would bug me a bit knowing that I'm right on the cusp of getting a better HDR experience.

Basically it goes

Hisense 50H8C- Great value for size, has somewhat high input lag for HDR around 50. Generally good features, fairly good color gamut, but not quite at the level of the quantum dot TV's above it. ~80% coverage.

SonyX800D - Still light on some features, the panel quality isn't as good as the KS8000, contrast not as high, but a great TV and cheaper at $650 (Maybe you can nab a deal too, I find it crazy Sony hasn't lowered the price for the holiday sales).

Samsung KS8000- Most expensive (As you are buying it from BB) 49" only $100 cheaper than the 55" $899 vs. $999. Full suite of features, brightest of the "Mid range" 4K HDR TV's. Best panel quality, fantastic uniformity usually. Smart remote which can be used on most your devices and very intuitive/simple with voice functionality. (I'm biased slightly obviously) but it holds true from what I've seen. Just that cut above with extra features.

Whether that's worth 2x the price is really hard to say. I was originally going to go for the $300 Samsung UN40KU6290 (I did actually buy it prior to knowing about the EPP deal) Seeing the 55" deal and I had to buy that. So now I'm sitting on that TV as well. To me that jump was worth the ~2.4x cost.

So....is it definitely worth it to wait until next year to get a 4K set?

Better tech, lower latency, more defined HDR spec, lower cost, etc?

I'm getting a Pro, and 4K is definitely something I want to get, but it will be a big investment for really the next 5-10 years for a television for me. I don't want to jump in too soon and regret not having the tech settle a bit.

Jake2by4

NP, I just saw your edit. That takes you into a new bracket usually. I think as stated you can look into the X800D which meets the standards for the HDR10 true experience more closely.

See if you can't get an invite to the EPP deal though, if you can get the 55" KS8000 It's absolutely worth stretching your budget a little.

See people keep mentioning this but what is this?

TheFlow

Banned
Walmart Black Friday ad features a 60 inch Samsung 4k TV that is very tempting for 650. So what is the problem with this tv because the price is too good to be true

See people keep mentioning this but what is this?

Which part?

Walmart Black Friday ad features a 60 inch Samsung 4k TV that is very tempting for 650. So what is the problem with this tv because the price is too good to be true

What's the TV model?

I'm getting a Pro, and 4K is definitely something I want to get, but it will be a big investment for really the next 5-10 years for a television for me. I don't want to jump in too soon and regret not having the tech settle a bit.

Honestly I wouldn't expect to see deals like we're getting from the Samsung EPP again soon. But if you're still on the fence then definitely wait.

Samsung UN60KU6300 TV

The 6300 is a really good TV. It just doesn't have the brightness levels or the expanded color gamut of the KS8000/9000 series. The picture quality is still great though.

The question you need to ask yourself is do I want a really good, 60" TV that's essentially a standard 4K set. Or do I want a smaller 4K set, but that meets the higher "standard" laid out in the HDR10. The 6300 supports HDR10, meaning it will receive the metadata, it just doesn't have the capabilities to really show it. So it's a lesser version.

The EPP deal.

Sorry I hate when people use acronyms as well, I just got used to it in this thread because it's been said so much. It's the Perks At Work, Employee Purchase Program. Basically you get an invite, if there are any left, that gives you access to "employee" pricing from Samsung.

TheFlow

Banned
The 6300 is a really good TV. It just doesn't have the brightness levels or the expanded color gamut of the KS8000/9000 series. The picture quality is still great though.

The question you need to ask yourself is do I want a really good, 60" TV that's essentially a standard 4K set. Or do I want a smaller 4K set, but that meets the higher "standard" laid out in the HDR10. The 6300 supports HDR10, meaning it will receive the metadata, it just doesn't have the capabilities to really show it. So it's a lesser version.

Sorry I hate when people use acronyms as well, I just got used to it in this thread because it's been said so much. It's the Perks At Work, Employee Purchase Program. Basically you get an invite, if there are any left, that gives you access to "employee" pricing from Samsung.
Damn I gotta make some decisions.

So, according to a friend who has the Pro, the Slim, and the Sony DH770 receiver, he is telling me that the receiver will not passthrough an HDR signal from the Pro. If you turn the receiver HDMI port to Enhanced (needed for HDR) the Pro doesn't output video to it. Non-HDR 4k works though.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Don't know about the Sony, but I have the TX-SR353 and I can confirm that it does passthrough 4k and HDR just fine.

Jake2by4

No problem , sounds good but probably over anyway. Costco has the ks8000 for 979.99.

TheFlow

Banned
Yea I am going for that
Samsung UN60KU6300 TV

The size is just to good to pass up for 650. Reviews are solid and I I can live with a decrease of color

ZOONAMI

Yea I am going for that
Samsung UN60KU6300 TV

The size is just to good to pass up for 650. Reviews are solid and I I can live with a decrease of color

The Hisense 55H8C at $500 is a better tv, if you can live with a 55 vs 60, imo. Haven't had the 6300 but based on 10 bit, 120hz if you plan to hook up a pc, slightly better color gamut, local dimming, and pq from reviews and my experience with the h8c. You also get a 4 year warranty.

Both pretty comparable though and either set you'll be happy.

Edit: disregard I thought flow was part of discussion that included h8c. If you need a 60 by all means go for the 6300. Its a great set

III-V

Probably waiting until around April-May next year but realize HDR will not be fully mature next year, either. Expect minimum 2 years out for high end sets to meet 4k nits, and 99% BT.2020, maybe dynamic metadata and 12-bits.

just as an FYI. They still look great right now.

TheFlow

Banned
The Hisense 55H8C at $500 is a better tv, if you can live with a 55 vs 60, imo. Haven't had the 6300 but based on 10 bit, 120hz if you plan to hook up a pc, slightly better color gamut, local dimming, and pq from reviews and my experience with the h8c. You also get a 4 year warranty.

Edit: disregard I thought flow was part of discussion that included h8c. If you need a 60 by all means go for the 6300. Its a great set
Fuck it read the reviews and might actually get the h8c.

I am upgrading from a 32 inch 720p Emerson in the main room) so anything will just about blow it out the water. Time for a upgrade.

Probably waiting until around April-May next year but realize HDR will not be fully mature next year, either. Expect minimum 2 years out for high end sets to meet 4k nits, and 99% BT.2020, maybe dynamic metadata and 12-bits.

just as an FYI. They still look great right now.

Obviously tech will always get better.

I guess when do we say "enough is enough, get a 4K set, it's better than your 10 year old 1080p TV and also has great looking HDR for an affordable price"

Honestly, I really want something that will be relatively future proof'd and I don't care too much about marginal improvements, and would like to pay an affordable price (< $1000 for 55-65")

Keyx3Od.png

I can get this Sony KD55XD7004 for a pretty good price right now(Sweden). Might just say fuck it and buy it. Even though I'm quite happy with my 50" TV I bought like 2 years ago.

The Hisense is a 60hz native panel btw. 120hz is only with motion interpolation. The 6300 is the same.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, I bought a 65" OLED yesterday... Today before going to school, I forgot to turn off the TV and I had the movie AVATAR on pause. I'll be at school for like 5h, will it burn in???? Please answer fast, so I know if I should bail the fuck out of class

Anarion07

Guys, I bought a 65" OLED yesterday... Today before going to school, I forgot to turn off the TV and I had the movie AVATAR on pause. I'll be at school for like 5h, will it burn in???? Please answer fast, so I know if I should bail the fuck out of class

AFAIK burn in on the 2016 LG models is temporary. But personally i wouldn't risk it. Who needs school anyway

graywolf323

wouldn't your TV turn itself off due to inactivity before there's really a threat of burn in?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
wouldn't your TV turn itself off due to inactivity before there's really a threat of burn in?
Shit, I forgot to turn on the auto-turn off shit. I saw the settings yesterday but it was on "never" as a default.

julrik

I know exactly how you feel. I swear the EPP deal for the 65" wasn't $1027 when I did the deal last weekend though. Regardless, I don't really need that big of a TV and I saved a few hundred bucks. I'm just happy to have gotten such a good deal.

Here's the KS8000, keep in mind obviously a picture is not going to be representative of the bleed in person. I think there's barely and in the pictures and I really can't see any in person at all.

In the pictures there's an obvious center band of light, but in person it's not nearly as apparent and the uniformity is fantastic.

0%

10%

20% out of focus

30%

... skip some

70%

100%
Thank you. What panel is that?

Yoshichan

I wouldn't ditch the final exam, can you have a friend or family member turn off the tv?
No one has the keys... Fuck me hard. This was never an issue with my LCD :(...

Yoshichan

For future reference, what counts as "inactivity"?

If I'm watching a Youtube video and I don't lower/increase the volume, does that count for inactivity? And what about the PS4 home screen?

And how quick would a burn in appear? 3h? 1h?

Coxy100

Banned
hi guys

I'm buying a 4K tv for the first time. My budget is £500 ish and I got this from a lightning deal:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HM7JNLU/ (Sony Bravia KD43XD8077)

I've ready online that it is a HDR10 panel. Anyone got experience of the Sony Bravia XD80 range?

Any other recommendations for my budget? I currently have a 32" TV so 43" is a good enough upgrade (my wife wasn't too keen on 50")

Top Bottom