• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III | Review Thread

Predict The Final Opencritic/MetaCritic Scores for MWIII

• 30-39%

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 14 6.3%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 57 25.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 67 30.3%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 34 15.4%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 95-99%

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The combining multiple games into one launcher really sucks. What are the chances they see the backlash and actually listen to the community?
Does this answer that question?

Call of Duty HQ was developed to bring players benefits like Carry Forward, easier file size management, and more seamless switching between Call of Duty®: Warzone™ and the latest annual releases. We are continuing to work on fine-tuning Call of Duty HQ to optimize the player experience as we launch Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® III later this week.

Downloads and Updates
Call of Duty HQ is the front door for Call of Duty across all console and PC platforms. Within Call of Duty HQ, players have control over the footprint of their Call of Duty experience on their platform of choice, and it’s all contained within one unified location.
By navigating to the ‘manage files’ section within Call of Duty HQ on any respective platform, players will see each area of game content from Modern Warfare III, Warzone, and Modern Warfare II listed as separate sections. Modern Warfare III and Modern Warfare II include the modes unique to those titles. For example, Modern Warfare III separately lists the files for Campaign and Multiplayer (which includes Zombies content).
From this menu, players can reduce overall footprint size by uninstalling specific content no longer being actively played. If you finished a particular mode and do not wish to play it again, you can go into ‘manage files’ within Call of Duty HQ settings on your platform to remove those files.

Call of Duty HQ File Size
MWIII-CODHQ-001.jpg

In addition to game files for Campaign and Multiplayer (including the Zombies experience) within Modern Warfare III – all of which can be downloaded or removed to adjust your overall storage usage – the overall file size of Call of Duty HQ reflects our commitment for players to bring their inventories and progression with them from Modern Warfare II to Modern Warfare III.
Modern Warfare II fans can Carry Forward player inventory and weapon progression from last year’s title to Modern Warfare III. This inventory requires file downloads during installation, so the weapons, Operators, and other Modern Warfare II content is available within Modern Warfare III. Additionally, select Modern Warfare II maps that Carry Forward to the Modern Warfare III multiplayer rotation will also require storage space.
File sizes may vary based on platform and region – which may include localization files required for a specific region.

Call of Duty HQ Sections
MWIII-CODHQ-002.jpg

Starting today, Wednesday, November 8, once players download the latest software updates in advance of Modern Warfare III’s worldwide launch, Call of Duty HQ will be the central location to play new and upcoming content for Modern Warfare III, as well as the launch pad for Call of Duty: Warzone and Modern Warfare II. Each title will be featured on its own row within Call of Duty HQ, including a What’s Hot row highlighting specific playlists.
· What’s Hot: The home of top playlists for Modern Warfare III
· MWIII: Access the Modern Warfare III Campaign, Multiplayer, and Zombies
· Warzone: Play Call of Duty: Warzone or the DMZ beta from this row
· MWII: Access the Modern Warfare II Campaign, Multiplayer, Raids, and more

Call of Duty HQ will also feature an in-game store for Modern Warfare III, and at game launch will include the all-new CODE Warrior Pack and current Modern Warfare II content bundles. New Modern Warfare III content bundles will be available in Season 01.
Warzone playlists will rejoin the What’s Hot row at a later date. Players will be able to seamlessly switch between Modern Warfare III and Warzone content starting in Season 01.

Known Issues
Call of Duty HQ continues to evolve, bringing multiple titles to Call of Duty players from one, single destination. The following issues are known and are being addressed:
· Physical Disc Identification: Players will encounter changes with how Call of Duty games are listed during the download and installation process. For example, some players who purchase the disc version of Modern Warfare III, but do not already have Modern Warfare II installed will not see the Modern Warfare III icon until COD HQ has fully updated after a Day One patch.
· Cross-Title Parties: Cross-Title Parties: Players who form parties within Modern Warfare III may be disbanded when switching to Call of Duty: Warzone. If this happens, players can party up again to play in Warzone. This will be corrected in an update shortly after launch of Modern Warfare III.

Any Zombies reviews?

Only thing I’m interested in.
Starting Tomorrow (9th) at 3am PT, 11am UK, streamers are allowed to show the full game. Of course these are all streamers who live or taking Holiday in New Zealand at the moment. Best not to overthink it.

The only Zombie footage released so far is 22min of B-roll provided by Treyarch a month ago. Any videos you have seen has come from this footage. This worries me a bit but we will find out tomorrow at the times I listed.

Gerdav

I wouldn’t rule out that this time next year COD HQ is no longer a thing and COD 2024 is back to being a stand alone app.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wouldn’t rule out that this time next year COD HQ is no longer a thing and COD 2024 is back to being a stand alone app.
I feel like it works this time because they're the same engine and it's basically DLC. This means they're stuck using this engine for the forseable future right?
No going back to the MW1/CW engine with ray tracing?

Last edited:

Gerdav

I feel like it works this time because they're the same engine and it's basically DLC. This means they're stuck using this engine for the forseable future right?
No going back to the MW1/CW engine with ray tracing?
My thinking is it’s almost beyond doubt now that MW3 was planned as an expansion, “COD HQ” for me is Activision putting lipstick on a pig to keep up the charade that its a full blown release.

Moses85

call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3.webp

Game Information​

Game Title: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
Platforms:
  • PC (Nov 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Nov 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Nov 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Nov 10, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Nov 10, 2023)
Trailers:
Developers: Sledgehammer Games, Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Beenox, Demonware, High Moon Studios, Raven Software, Toys for Bob

Publisher: Activision

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 53/100 - 0% Recommended

HD8MOsj.png

MetaCritic: Updating...

Critic Reviews​

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - Unscored

IGN - Simon Cardy - 4 / 10

CharlieIntel - 7.0/10.0

Shirakko - 5.0/10.0

The Game Crater - 4.0/10.0

Seasoned Gaming - 5.0/10.0

Entertainment Geekly - 2.5/5.0
Microsoft owns it and

heath ledger joker GIF

cleveland cavaliers love GIF by NBPA

baphomet

My thinking is it’s almost beyond doubt now that MW3 was planned as an expansion, “COD HQ” for me is Activision putting lipstick on a pig to keep up the charade that its a full blown release.

You realize this hasn't been some new thing just for MW2 and 3 right?

Just got hit with a180gb update lol, looks like it's updating multiple packs and COD HQ has jumped from 80GB to 103GB, warzone 2 might be bigger as well; MWIII MP and campaign files are still smaller than the MWII equivalents though.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Microsoft owns it and

heath ledger joker GIF

cleveland cavaliers love GIF by NBPA
Honestly it just feels like it was inevitable at this point. Regardless of Microsoft. For as often as they pump these games out, they can't all be 80-90+. The unfortunate part is that it's still going to print money, and the series will probably not learn anything from missteps like this.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
On PS5 if you go to activities and click on the last one that is for MP is logs you in to look around a bit but trying to start a game says no lobbies found

Curious if this works when servers come up for New Zealand

y2hjk6J.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I logged on this morning to see a red flag for my MW3 download. Turns out I can’t update the game unless I clear up space. I just uninstalled and I’ll reinstall without the campaign. I’ll probably get a data cap notice in the email this month.

THE DUCK

Banned
You realize the game is going to make around a billion dollars, right?

I would say that's a pretty good start on the ROI

Pretty obvious many of you do not understand the whole idea of acquiring assets

That was tongue in cheek, of course COD is a cash cow. I understand it just fine, don't be silly.

BigLee74

Nearing the end of the campaign now (playing a level or two a day), and what I will say is that it’s not as bad as some reviews will have you believe.

Some of the ‘open area’ levels are interesting and play well. So many ways around them if you find the right equipment. I was very impressed with the high rise level, and loved the atmosphere of the oligarch level.

I would say a solid 6/7 out of 10. Better than MW2 which was such a slog.

This new update is trash (Steam). I only own MW2 but when I boot up the game it launches MW3 and if I want to play the game I want then I have to go find MW2 in the menu and then it has to reboot.
Then it feels like whenever the game downloads a new patch it will display a message upon startup saying that the game needs to restart.
And then there's having to download 80gb downloads when you didn't even buy MW3.
Sigh.
80gb ? Ur lucky , I didn't pre-ordered or have mw3 only have mw2 and had to download 180gb ( no Joke )

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've read some of the EA reviews for the campaign and now I understand how they were able to shit this one out so quickly. It sounds like it's basically a Verdansk map from Warzone and that's where most of the game happens as some kind of open-world bullshit.

Jesus, to fall off so hard after MW and MWII which both had excellent campaigns. There's no way I'm gonna be buying this thing unless it's like 5 bucks on sale. This will probably never happen because we're living in Bobby's world where even Black Ops 2 from 12 years ago still costs 70 bucks, lol.

hlm666

I've read some of the EA reviews for the campaign and now I understand how they were able to shit this one out so quickly. It sounds like it's basically a Verdansk map from Warzone and that's where most of the game happens as some kind of open-world bullshit.

Jesus, to fall off so hard after MW and MWII which both had excellent campaigns. There's no way I'm gonna be buying this thing unless it's like 5 bucks on sale. This will probably never happen because we're living in Bobby's world where even Black Ops 2 from 12 years ago still costs 70 bucks, lol.
you can probably gamepass it for whatever a month of gp costs next year.

/runs from the gp lynch mob.

Any chance it will be free for the weekend like they did with other titles?
Willing to give it a shot but Im not paying for this yet.

Yeah this is the most lazy entry in the franchise EVER.

Mr Moose

I haven't even bought this shit and my PS5 downloaded it... What the fuck, Activision? This is still DLC huh?

It’s a painful way to do things and to be honest I believe it’s to make it ‘easier’ for you to upgrade to the latest cod.

Move everything about. Then put the old stuff to the back and make it less obvious or accessible by burying in options and menus

I also had to manually trigger the game hub to download mw2 DMZ and multiplayer. Even though that’s my 2 main areas in cod

This happens with their type of updates all the time and usually involves buckets of data being wasted to download the same things again.

The manage files option is only really good when you are wanting to remove things you have. Not stop them making you download the same things over and over

Last edited:

splattered

Now we gotta change region on the website as well as the console? Meh think I'll wait a day... Still playing d4 anyway

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 or anyone who has knowledge about this, question for you.

What is the bare minimum I would need to download just to play the campaign? Do I need to download the whole 200+GB shit or can I just choose only campaign and skip the rest?

Looks like COD HQ has a new marvel like intro logo, pretty cool tbh.
What is the bare minimum I would need to download just to play the campaign? Do I need to download the whole 200+GB shit or can I just choose only campaign and skip the rest?
I'm not sure if you can select the components separately when you start the download, perhaps you can pause the download and then manage the game files and then pick what you want?
COD HQ is 100GB and MWIII campaign is a bit under 30GB

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm not sure if you can select the components separately when you start the download, perhaps you can pause the download and then manage the game files and then pick what you want?
COD HQ is 100GB and MWIII campaign is a bit under 30GB

Thanks.

From what I'm reading online, it looks like you can delete content *after* it's all downloaded, looks like I'm in quarter of a terrabyte of download here.

Top Bottom