• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom representative : Street Fighter V would never ship on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikujiro

I think he's talking about Ultra, X Tekken, etc. Although they did all score in the 80s.

Still not entirely true, the other versions of SFIV were upgrades for the hardcore players and they did pretty well, but SFxT was indeed a fiasco, it sold below expectation and it basically shut down Capcom's will to invest in other fighting games

SFIV numbers are here. I count 7,5 million copies with all the versions (without Ultra's numbers):
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html)

Capcom has become extremely risk-averse, so it's not surprising how Ono was tweeting he didn't have the budget to make a SFV despite SFIV's success.

kubricks

Sony funded SFV so it make sense Capcom will only release it on PS, it's just business, get over it.

Just like original Titanfall on Xbone.

Glad I have a PS4 to play it but I still can't get over the massive outrage when something stays exclusive to XB1 and yet on the other side of the fence it is perfectly ok.

Business is business though and it'll always be this way. Hopefully everyone gets a chance to play in whatever iteration it ends up becoming.

Yeah it's a bit hypocritical here : /

KingBroly

Banned
Exclusive to Xbone would have been more surprising.
Considering how PS4 is pretty much the console of this gen with barely a competition thanks to the competition fucking it up anyway...
If Sony funded the project, it's even less likely to appear elsewhere.
Kinda like the situation for MonHun.
Nintendo is basically handling how MonHun goes in the West at no cost for Capcom(marketing, distribution...),
so yeah it's going to stay there.
If Sony handles more than just the funds for the 1rst version of SFV, there's good reason to not expect it elsewhere.

Capcom distributes MH in North America, while NOE does it in Europe. Why the difference? I have no clue. I know Nintendo helps promote the hell out of MH in the West, but to what degree I'm not sure beyond the CC Pro bundle with Tri and the N3DS XL bundle.

I'm going to throw this out here. I don't believe this representative. I'm sorry, but I don't, I can't. Capcom has a fair share amount of backtracking about stuff in regards to exclusivity and whatnot over the years, and I'm not about to believe them on this either because of their history.

sublimit

Banned
Glad I have a PS4 to play it but I still can't get over the massive outrage when something stays exclusive to XB1 and yet on the other side of the fence it is perfectly ok.

Business is business though and it'll always be this way. Hopefully everyone gets a chance to play in whatever iteration it ends up becoming.

I really hope Sony returns to their previous gen strategy of putting their money on building and strengthening their studios instead of buying exclusives left and right because if they follow MS's example from the previous gen i think it will bite their ass next gen (PS5)

Copen

Banned
It's okay when Sony does it.

I guess you'd prefer that Sony not compete and just let MS have nearly everything like last Gen right? I'm sure you had no complaints last Gen when it likely benefitted your platform of choice. I'm happy Sony isn't just allowing MS to suck up everything like last gen fair is fair right and now the shoe is on the other foot.

I guess you'd prefer that Sony not compete and just let MS have nearly everything like last Gen right? I'm sure you had no complaints last Gen when it likely benefitted your platform of choice. I'm happy Sony isn't just allowing MS to suck up everything like last gen fair is fair right and now the shoe is on the other foot.

do you even know his platform of choice or are you just salty over his comment and talking shit?
plus i doubt MS is in the position to snatch up exclusives left and right like before.

OT: This was already know the sooner people get over it the better.

Elfstruck

I really hope Sony returns to their previous gen strategy of putting their money on building and strengthening their studios instead of buying exclusives left and right because if they follow MS's example from the previous gen i think it will bite their ass next gen (PS5)

Oh sure, all of Sony studios will just sit around and do nothing. ;)

Three

Not trying to call you out, but are we 100% on that? Was TR announced for PS4, but then pulled? I'm thinking TR was closer to the Titanfall scenario.

TR PS4 even went up for preorder on most shops amazon/game etc between E3 and Gamescom. It was up for preorder all the way up to September.

Copen

Banned
do you even know his platform of choice or are you just butthurt by his comment and talking shit?

I didn't think people over the age of 10 used the word "butthurt" maybe I'm wrong...By his comment I surmised that he's likely not a PS4 owner since he was moaning about Sony Too type of shit. Now hit me back with something witty please I'm waiting... Oh and I forgot there's cross play that MS adamantly refuse to allow which I'm sure was a bonus for Capcom not splitting the community.

BTW nice edit.....lol

Respawn

Banned
Thank you. How soon some forget.

I didn't think people over the age of 10 used the word "butthurt" maybe I'm wrong...By his comment I surmised that he's likely not a PS4 owner since he was moaning about Sony Too type of shit. Now hit me back with something witty please I'm waiting...

yeah no i aint bout to go back and forth on the internet

i asked a question and you answered thats where that ends

yeah i edited my post because i assumed you went batshit when you saw his/her post but i decided to chill

Sony already has a much stronger focus on 1st party than Microsoft. If Japan Studio reaches the level of quality they are working towards it could be better than the PS3 generation of exclusives.

Copen

Banned
Wrong, Square-Enix didn't exactly need any help developing TR II at all. The game was already multiplatform before MS managed to secure it as a timed exclusive.

I may be wrong but weren't there already early pre orders for TR for other platforms before MS secured exclusivity that were then canceled by retailers? Anyone confirm or remember that?

yeap, Microsoft is spending money on the publishing, marketing, and development of the game.
So Microsoft are footing the development bill for a game that'll appear on PS4 anyway? Makes sense.

I may be wrong but weren't there already early pre orders for TR for other platforms before MS secured exclusivity that were then canceled by retailers? Anyone confirm or remember that?
There was an Australian retailer called Jb Hifi where you could pre-order it online for PS4 up until a couple of months ago.
Just checked then though and it seems they've finally figured it out. :p

Wrong, Square-Enix didn't exactly need any help developing TR II at all. The game was already multiplatform before MS managed to secure it as a timed exclusive.

“We will clearly spend money on marketing the game, there’s no doubt about that,” Spencer said to the site. “And we do [that] on games where we have very little to do with development, and with games that we fully develop. And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game – I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/1...-tomb-raider-exclusivity/#WxLCgFRoMvF47el0.99

jholmes

SFV is the best exclusive PS4 has.

Going to single-handedly be the one-word response to any derivative iteration of the "PS4 has no games" argument.

Just say, "SFV."

Should be the initials of a fragrance, really.

It's funny, in the Devils Third thread I just had to hear about how people are wrong to say the game might be good based largely (not exclusively) on its pedigree, and I said half the games people talk up on the board are either only pre-rendered trailers or sometimes just names, a title and nothing more, and people talk about how great they are, and I was told just how very wrong I was.

Street Fighter V is just a name, a name I could've guessed 20 years ago, in fact, and it's already the single most important game to ever grace the PS4. OK.

Cels

No, it was never multiplatform. The first time it was shown, there were no platform logos or announcements.

wah wah wah

Stop with the persecution bs.

“We will clearly spend money on marketing the game, there’s no doubt about that,” Spencer said to the site. “And we do [that] on games where we have very little to do with development, and with games that we fully develop. And we will definitely be spending money on developing the game – I want to make sure that it’s as great as it can be.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/1...-tomb-raider-exclusivity/#WxLCgFRoMvF47el0.99

It sounds more like Microsoft is covering the development costs for Crystal Dynamics rather than actually co-developing ROTR with them. In other words, it's glorified money-hatting.

Terrell

ok, name the time capcom had their hands contractually tied and broke it anyway

Most exclusives that aren't "de facto" exclusives are arranged via contractual obligation.

Resident Evil 4 all but assuredly had a contract in play. How they got out of it is a mystery to this day, but Mikami did eventually keep his promise of sorts and left Capcom shortly after their decision, a calculated risk that Capcom took and lost. It's hard to say that such a loss was inevitably worth it.

The original Dead Rising didn't stay exclusive either, but the port to Wii was pretty atrocious, so I would understand if you don't recall that.

Street Fighter 2 ended up on Genesis through a contract loophole, as well.

I'm sure I could go on, if need be.

Without seeing the contract they signed with Sony, we have no idea how they're going to subvert it, only that they're likely to try if they get low sales and/or pressure from their shareholders. Just like any other time that Capcom has welched on an exclusivity deal.

It's just not feasible to hold them to an entire generation of Street Fighter being exclusive indefinitely when they've given no one a reason to think that will happen.

farisr

It sounds more like Microsoft is covering the development costs for Crystal Dynamics rather than actually co-developing ROTR with them. In other words, it's glorified money-hatting.

Yup, pretty much. Development costs that otherwise would've been handled internally even if MS hadn't stepped in.

Gamespawn

I remember the wording in the trailer said next- gen platforms.

Wonko_C

Its not at all

On the contrary, this is the only way they could get a big SF game in the near future.

You must take different factors in mind:

- Capcom isn't doing well financially
- Japanese market/development moving towards mobile
- Fighting games are a niche genre
- Fighting games are very expensive (some people even claim that $150k per character is a bargain)
- Last few SF games weren't received well critically nor commercially.

Taking everything into consideration, put yourself in Capcom's shoes. Would you have sought Sony's help?

I got a couple of friends who are like that. No matter what I tell them, they think I'm stubborn and naive for believing that "Super/Ultra/Whatever" won't come out on other platforms, that a AAA game of this caliber can't be kept on one platform for long.

Yup, pretty much. Development costs that otherwise would've been handled internally even if MS hadn't stepped in.

Well Square Enix said the following:

“Yes, Microsoft will be publishing ‘Rise of the Tomb Raider’ on Xbox, Microsoft has always seen huge potential in ‘Tomb Raider’ and they will get behind this game with more support across development, marketing and retail than ever before, which we believe will be a step in continuing to build the ‘Tomb Raider’ franchise as one of the biggest in gaming.”

Copen

Banned
If I remember right, Kagari said Microsoft is paying for marketing.

MS made it clear they don't own or control the IP and IF it was full on exclusive never coming to PS4 you can bet MS would've made that clear via a Titan fall type of announcement and since they've yet to do so it appears to be timed and again IF MS was truly funding the IP it certainly would be full exclusive to MS platforms I would think.

farisr

I have a preorder for the ps4 version, still locked in. I don't recall seeing instances of preorders getting cancelled (at least from the big retailers).

Elfstruck

MS made it clear they don't own or control the IP and IF it was full on exclusive never coming to PS4 you can bet MS would've made that clear via a Titan fall type of announcement and since they've yet to do so it appears to be timed and again IF MS was truly funding the IP it certainly would be full exclusive to MS platforms I would think.

If it's is fully exclusive, you would see Aaron Greenberg to be loud and clear on twitter :p

Well Square Enix said the following:

“Yes, Microsoft will be publishing ‘Rise of the Tomb Raider’ on Xbox, Microsoft has always seen huge potential in ‘Tomb Raider’ and they will get behind this game with more support across development, marketing and retail than ever before, which we believe will be a step in continuing to build the ‘Tomb Raider’ franchise as one of the biggest in gaming.”

Which again, can be interpreted as Microsoft giving money to cover development costs. Nowhere has it been explicitly stated that Microsoft employees are working alongside Crystal Dynamics employees to develop ROTR. The fact that Microsoft hasn't bellowed this from the rooftops speaks volumes.

Anyways, I don't even know why this is still up for debate. There is countless evidence that indicates that ROTR will be going to the PS4 in spite of MS having publishing rights to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom