• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBOAT's latest update

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuway

I can back the boat up on a few of his points.

The story out of nearly every person I know in the industry, outside of Sony (as Sony employees wouldn't know this), is that the February reveal of the PS4 was a jab to the face of Microsoft.

They had no idea that Sony was as far along as they were. They had no idea that Sony had better specs. They had no idea (nor did we) that they were also behind in RAM. The stories are second hand from third party people who talk to people at MS but they all have said the same thing... Microsoft was coasting along looking at late 13 / early 14 release and thought they had the upper hand on Sony who was only now just starting to make money on the PS3 and would be behind them, most likely holiday '14.

This doesn't explain every misstep along the way, of course, a lot of them were just bad decisions from within. But if someone writes a book about this upcoming generation I think there will be some interesting stories from inside Microsoft about their reaction to the PS4 reveal.

After the February 20th reveal, I shouldn't say this, but I went to dinner with some Microsoft employees. They all claimed that internally at MS, Sony's conference reinforced their vision, and they were unphased by it. I was told multimedia would be the link to the next generation, but I had very little idea that unphased was synonymous for alienating hardcore gamers.

25 pages... wow. Funny thing is, there's nothing in his post that wasn't already clearly evident if you've been paying attention. I just think some people are holding out against all hope. Believe
Just tell me your not saying these 25 pages are about Xbox fans saying this can't be true. It's 25 pages of the same cast of characters getting off on this. They must be running out of clean socks by now.

A lot of people on GAF didn't expect the PS4 to launch until some time in 2014 and Microsoft clearly thought the same thing. In reality, Sony was way ahead of them. Sony's ascension has come from things like approaching Cerny, going to developers and asking them what they want, learning from their past mistakes, and capitalizing on things like brand and their engineering. Sony caught them with their pants down and this is becoming more and more apparent. At this point, the Xbox One looks more like a rushed half effort more than anything.

Wynnebeck

Banned
After the February 20th reveal, I shouldn't say this, but I went to dinner with some Microsoft employees. They all claimed that internally at MS, Sony's conference reinforced their vision, and they were unphased by it. I was told multimedia would be the link to the next generation, but I had very little idea that unphased was synonymous for alienating hardcore gamers.

Boom.

Goku

Banned
Yeah I left that off the list because that game seems like it is very early in development. It doesn't even have a title yet.

I also just realized that I forgot Project Spark. That also looks like a ton of fun. I'm sure that has been confirmed for a 2014 release.

Personally, I'm very excited for Project Spark. I think it deserves more attention. The amount of stuff you can create in that game is amazing. Oh and it can do Mocap+Voice acting through kinect, Awesome.

CBOAT already said the game's behind schedule. Also, the game's announcement was more of an announcement of the studio, and less about the game. I feel it in my gut it's going to be Q2-Q4 2015 title.

By the way, Alan Wake, announced 2006, released 2010.

Alan Wake was announced in 2005, presented in 2006 to show off Intels, at the time, new Quad-Core CPU's. The game was open world back then, and since then the game design changed and it was announced for the 360 years later. Hardly comparable. And yes, CBOAT did say they're behind on schedule, but we don't know when the game was supposed to launch. Maybe it should have been 2013's system seller? I still beleive the game will launch in 2014. The only scenario I can imagine in which it won't is where MS is afraid it'll camnibalise Halo 5's sales or vica versa.

thuway

Still shocked at the idea of MS being caught so badly off guard by the PlayStation Meeting. Orbis rumors date back to early 2012 and even those called the late 2013 launch period, I don't see why the assumed Sony was so far behind.

There is a document somewhere inside Microsoft where they predicted what PS4 specs were going to be. On the paper, it was "projected" that PS4 would be 10-12x PS3 in raw power. Which led some of us (idiots like me) to believe PS4 would run at 2.4-3.2 TF.

The illusion of safety came from an assumption. Microsoft believed Sony was going to go at MAX with 4 GB of RAM. If Sony had went with 4 GB of RAM, the MS's plan would have been perfect, but history told a different story.

traidenk

Banned
The box is bigger because it's a HTPC kitbash. And it's a little late for secret sauce. You'd think they'd whip all of that out when the numbers came in.

Its never too late. And its even better if they wait until a couple of weeks before release.

Sony's is trying hard to fill up those preorder...

Aliand

Banned
Haha, but yes, same here. Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but a higher resolution would reduce the need of AA, which results in less blurred textures? Would I see a gain of quality if I play a 1080 game on a 720 TV? A 720p oder 900p game becomes upscaled on a 1080 screen. Hence, it would be blurred or less sharp, right? I never thought about the resolution mechanics in consoles.

What about native 1080p console games on a 720p TV? With a forced lower resolution, the game should have more fps? This is what I would expect from a PC game.

With 1080p on your 720p set you will have an oversampling. Still would go for 1080p set if were in your shoes.

There is a document somewhere inside Microsoft where they predicted what PS4 specs were going to be. On the paper, it was "projected" that PS4 would be 10-12x PS3 in raw power. Which led some of us (idiots like me) to believe PS4 would run at 2.4-3.2 TF.

Holy moly.

Hindle

Banned
Personally, I'm very excited for Project Spark. I think it deserves more attention. The amount of stuff you can create in that game is amazing. Oh and it can do Mocap+Voice acting through kinect, Awesome.

Alan Wake was announced in 2005, presented in 2006 to show off Intels, at the time, new Quad-Core CPU's. The game was open world back then, and since then the game design changed and it was announced for the 360 years later. Hardly comparable. And yes, CBOAT did say they're behind on schedule, but we don't know when the game was supposed to launch. Maybe it should have been 2013's system seller? I still beleive the game will launch in 2014. The only scenario I can imagine in which it won't is where MS is afraid it'll camnibalise Halo 5's sales or vica versa.

Black Tusks game won't launch until 2015.

The game is clearly being set up as a huge winter release for MS. Software wise I'm not worried at all about them. They will have the games.

I still beleive the game will launch in 2014. The only scenario I can imagine in which it won't is where MS is afraid it'll camnibalise Halo 5's sales or vica versa.

Another reason I highly doubt it's 2014 is that none of MS's marketing material talks about the Black Tusk game officially, at all.

Even games announced at E3 had an inkling of possibility they wouldn't be for 2014 ( Quantum Break, SSO ), and all hints seem to put the Black Tusk game as even further behind said titles.

I may be wrong, but Black Tusk for 2014 just feels like a very far stretch.

le.phat

He's clearly a biased insider.

Ms should have wait for 2014 because they are not ready.haha

so what about sony? they can't even show their games on retail unit one month before release. You people are funny.

you need to lay off the misterX coolaid. CBOAT has a track record of over a year with so much leaks that ended up true, unlike a certain other "insider" who'se words you DO seem to believe:

Parasite67 a supposed insider just posted this on a forum:

... Look for more info to drop around the 16th. hopefully insider can shed more light on what's getting released. btw..... Conker is going to have another bad day....:)

What proof has this Insider given to his wild accusations and claims ? Has he ever been right ?

For the people who don't know who parasite67 is, just google misterxMedia.

jaaz

Just tell me your not saying these 25 pages are about Xbox fans saying this can't be true. It's 25 pages of the same cast of characters getting off on this. They must be running out of clean socks by now.

You can't have a circle jerk without some material, and Xbone fans in denial are providing plenty of material in here.

mclem

What?, that's the part that was the most difficult to me!!!, i hate his posts... trying to read them reminds me of math. *shivers*

What did he say?...

"man ):"

I'm taking that as a CBOAT-ism, and it actually means:

"Amn :)"

Baldur's Gate 3 coming exclusively to Xbox One!

Its never too late. And its even better if they wait until a couple of weeks before release.

Sony's is trying hard to fill up those preorder...

I think they'll wait until some time after launch, just so they can shame all those people who bought a PS4 instead of the One. "You didn't believe in us, well take that secret sauce and choke on it!"

We're already several weeks away from launch btw...

thuway

The game is clearly being set up as a huge winter release for MS. Software wise I'm not worried at all about them. They will have the games.

They showed you their entire hand this E3. They don't have much left in the tank. They will not have a slew of first party titles that have yet to hit the ground. Checks will be cut to get as much 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives as possible.

rumors are rumors... I am a xbox fanboy and I don't deny it. You can't dig in my past any time you want. Some people get excited on MS negative news. I get excited on positive ones.

I'm still waiting for some kind of secret sauce since MS didn't reveal any missing gpu specs and their box is much bigger than the ps4. They are probably waiting for sony to go first.
embarassed-for-you.gif

Secret sauce apparently never goes off.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist

Should we surprised? Even after all the 180's, MS has been claiming their vision wasn't wrong, just misrepretented and misunderstood. Kinect and onlline aren't "required" anymore, but they are essential parts of the Xbox One experience. They are very unwavering in their commitment to the corporate "vision" and "goals".

The illusion of safety came from an assumption. Microsoft believed Sony was going to go at MAX with 4 GB of RAM. If Sony had went with 4 GB of RAM, the MS's plan would have been perfect, but history told a different story.

Wow if only and they still wanted to bring out an 1.3Tflops machine they would have know they would be fucked.

Jack cw

Haha, but yes, same here. Please correct me, if I'm wrong, but a higher resolution would reduce the need of AA, which results in less blurred textures? Would I see a gain of quality if I play a 1080 game on a 720 TV? A 720p oder 900p game becomes upscaled on a 1080 screen. Hence, it would be blurred or less sharp, right? I never thought about the resolution mechanics in consoles.
Even at a resolution in 1920x1080 pixels you need a proper AA solution. If you sit 10 feet away from you screen you might not notice any ailaising but up close you will. Console GPUs (PS3 and 360) were able to handle some FXAA or MSAA. Not the best solution. Blurred textures were a result of this poor AA and besides Uncharted I havent seen a console game that had decent textures. Texture quality is more dependent on VRAM and general tech so if you play a PS4 or Xbone game you WILL have way better textures and better image quality in general.

If you play a native 1080p game on a HD ready display you will just have the effects of downscaling from 1080p to 720p and the TV doing another upscale to its native 1378x768 pixels.

If you have 1080p display and native 720p or 900p game than the console/TV has to do some upscaling. 720p is more than 50% less pixels than 1080p (900p more than 30%), so the console or TV has to interpolate that lower res image to stretch it to 1920x1080 pixels. In other words: Scaling tech can be as advanced as it wants but it has to produce 50% missing picture information out of nothing, so image quality will always suffer from blurr, jaggies, artefacts, etc if it has to be upscaled. Pixel per pixel mapping is the only way to achive the best image quality - 1080p native on a 1080p native device.

jeffers

hows this work out, xbone half the TF but makes up on RAM difference, sony prices themselves out of the competition (and bundles a camera as well)?

They showed you their entire hand this E3. They don't have much left in the tank. They will not have a slew of first party titles that have yet to hit the ground. Checks will be cut to get as much 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives as possible.

Oh shit.

Based off what you mentioned here, alongside the recent reveal of Xbox Fitness + Big Play working on NFL TV-stuff...

... How many of MS Studios are working on non-game stuff?

nib95

Banned

If they thought the PS4 was going to come in at 2.4 Tflops or more, how in the world were they expecting to keep up with 1.23 Tflops? It would have been further annihilation...

Iacobellis

I can back the boat up on a few of his points.

The story out of nearly every person I know in the industry, outside of Sony (as Sony employees wouldn't know this), is that the February reveal of the PS4 was a jab to the face of Microsoft.

They had no idea that Sony was as far along as they were. They had no idea that Sony had better specs. They had no idea (nor did we) that they were also behind in RAM. The stories are second hand from third party people who talk to people at MS but they all have said the same thing... Microsoft was coasting along looking at late 13 / early 14 release and thought they had the upper hand on Sony who was only now just starting to make money on the PS3 and would be behind them, most likely holiday '14.

This doesn't explain every misstep along the way, of course, a lot of them were just bad decisions from within. But if someone writes a book about this upcoming generation I think there will be some interesting stories from inside Microsoft about their reaction to the PS4 reveal.

I think it's pretty fucked up that Microsoft was set on selling this weak box in 2013, and even went thinking they had the upper hand compared to Sony.

Pretty baffling. Truly shows the Xbox team is leagues behind where they were in 2005.

Haha, yeah, it's always the same characters.

Not good news though and it really does sync with what we've seen in the last few months. I really wanted to stick with MS this gen as I'm so ingrained in their ecosystem but that's going to have to wait until much later if at all. I just hope that I like the DS4 as much as everyone else seems to.

Hindle

Banned

Well, partnerships have worked out for MS in the past so clearly they'll be doing it again. I'm also expecting new content to come from Japan.

People won't care where the games come from as long as they're on the console.

mocoworm

I really cannot see why people are bothered by this CBOAT post.

I mean, XONE will have awesome games... as will PS4. They will be head and shoulders above current gen.

Why the salty tears over a game being 900p upscaled ? Makes no sense. I can play Mario on my NES in whatever shitty resolution that was over an RF cable on a tube TV and I don't love it any less.

Red Mage

It's always the juniors in threads like these. Always.

Hey now, that's neither fair, nor accurate:

Common, most of his talking is bullshit, remember E3...

How would that not be a good thing? He would have to stand by these "leaks" he is always a part of?

If he works at MS I would expect 100% accuracy

I've become less and less caught up in CBOAT's posts as we've moved past E3. Everything is out on the table, I'm not going to start panicking my Xbox is going to fail because what, the upclock is too risky?

90% (if that is true) it's not 100%.

Sorry, I'm free to choose what I believe and I don't consider cboat posts as a fact. If you considers, there's your problem.

Plenty of salt coming from full members. = )

Goku

Banned

Another reason I highly doubt it's 2014 is that none of MS's marketing material talks about the Black Tusk game officially, at all.

Even games announced at E3 had an inkling of possibility they wouldn't be for 2014 ( Quantum Break, SSO ), and all hints seem to put the Black Tusk game as even further behind said titles.

I may be wrong, but Black Tusk for 2014 just feels like a very far stretch.

Yeah I guess I see your points. Wishful thinking on my part.

Hindle

Banned
Yeah I guess I see your points. Wishful thinking on my part.

Halo and Titanfall will be next years big games. Alongside others of course. I do expect a formal unveiling for Black Tusks game at next years E3, where we will get the title and gameplay information.

Any examples of this? I keep hearing it brought up to discredit CBOAT, but nobody ever produces.

I don't have the time to search threads from months ago, but watch after Cboat makes announcements how many people will randomly proclaim news as related to him.

For example, his new comment about "Microsoft should have waited til 2014". People are already attributing that to mean hardware reliability concerns for the XB1. The moment we hear about a single xb1 failing you'll see multiple posts saying "CBOAT!".

So because he's vague enough, his prediction will be interpreted as an accurate prediction of something at some point.

-PXG-

As artist said earlier in this thread, it's all starting to add up. Now it's no secret, that yet again, MS rushed the development of their console. Just problem after problem. Sony seems to have their shit together

Iacobellis

Holy shit. I guess partnerships can't work if the console sells like shit. Where's the money going to come from?

I mean, XONE will have awesome games... as will PS4. They will be head and shoulders above current gen.

Why the salty tears over a game being 900p upscaled ? Makes no sense. I can play Mario on my NES in whatever shitty resolution that was over an RF cable on a tube TV and I don't love it any less.

It's because 900p is close to unacceptable in 2013. It's make sense if these were third party developers targeting a game for 4/5 platforms, working in the 11th hour to get the game ready for launch. No. These are exclusives, games that started years ago (Ryse, DR3) on the 360. Microsoft wasn't ready. They still aren't. This generation is surely going to be something.

mocoworm

You can have your opinion, thats fine. Everyone has an opinion but it doesnt change the fact that opinions can be factual wrong...

Without going over it, the list was games that I want to play on each system. I even put 'in my opinion' at the end of my post. Factually wrong? Please prove me to be wrong on that fact and prove that there are other games I want to play.

It's because 900p is close to unacceptable in 2013. It's make sense if these were third party developers targeting a game for 4/5 platforms, working in the 11th hour to get the game ready for launch. No. These are exclusives, games that started years ago (Ryse, DR3) on the 360. Microsoft wasn't ready. They still aren't. This generation is surely going to be something.

I do understand your point but I still stand by mine that the games will look amazing and we will enjoy them just as much. PS4 will be the showcase console, but XONE games will be not that far behind, almost imperceivable differences to casual gamers, especially in the first 2 years after launch.

Perkel

Banned
If they thought the PS4 was going to come in at 2.4 Tflops or more, how in the world were they expecting to keep up with 1.23 Tflops? It would have been further annihilation...

By being cheaper console instead of 599$ PS4. 2,3-3Tf PS4 would cost 599$ or something like that.

Xbone Pr should then say something like this: Games , movies, TV all that for 499$ That would be a lot better than being more expensive console.

Now they have weaker console and more expensive.

OmahaG8

I don't have the time to search threads from months ago, but watch after Cboat makes announcements how many people will randomly proclaim news as related to him.

For example, his new comment about "Microsoft should have waited til 2014". People are already attributing that to mean hardware reliability concerns for the XB1. The moment we hear about a single xb1 failing you'll see multiple posts saying "CBOAT!".

So because he's vague enough, his prediction will be interpreted as an accurate prediction of something at some point.

The Nostradamus effect?

Iacobellis

By being cheaper console instead of 599$ PS4. 2,3-3Tf PS4 would cost 599$ or something like that.

Xbone Pr should then say something like this: Games , movies, TV all that for 499$ That would be a lot better than being more expensive console.

Now they have weaker console and more expensive.

Why would they think Sony would price the PS4 so high? Vita was relatively cheap at launch and the PS3 is cheaper than the 360 now. PS3 was an outlier to the whole situation.

Goku

Banned
Well, partnerships have worked out for MS in the past so clearly they'll be doing it again. I'm also expecting new content to come from Japan.

People won't care where the games come from as long as they're on the console.

Slightly off topic, but I like how MS is focussed om game quality lately. When asked about Xbox Classic remakes/ anniversary editions, Spencer said that, well here's the quote:

“The Halo Anniversary that we did was as much about the launch of the first Xbox as well. It was a culmination of many things coming together. It would probably run out of steam if we were trying to think about, ‘Okay, what’s 10 years old now?’ It’s definitely more from the game itself, the experience that we’re able to bring to market. Less about ‘Is the last digit a zero?’ in terms of its anniversary.”

That imo is a better approach than the HD Collection approach. Added to that, I like how MS is searching for a 'worthy' dev to handle their IP's this time around. They're chosen wisely with Double Helix and KI and I trust they'll do the same for a new Crackdown game. More in line with your point, I do think we'll see some really exciting projects for/from Japan.

I can't believe some of what I'm reading in here. Sony has Infamous and The Order for 2014 and they have a major possibility of having games by Santa Monica and Naughty Dog in that time frame as well. I'm not convinced that Remedy's game will be a 2014 title and Insomniac cannot be trusted with anything other than the Ratchet IP.

Jack cw

Keep persuading yourself with downplaying the importance of this matter.
You dont buy 2000$ + displays, a 500$ console and wait 8 years for a supposed technically advanced console only to get sub native 1080p resolutions. Performance and image quality is a huge part of the immersion and surely a gamechanger for many people. Games today rely on 3D in every regard, they try to achieve realistic physics and realistic looks. Mario was an 2D 8 bit cartoony-pixel sidescroller that still looks fantastic because of its art style. Its simple and beautiful but games today rely on much more complex simulations and power IS key.

gaming_noob

Hey now, that's neither fair, nor accurate:

Plenty of salt coming from full members. = )

If we removed all the "salty" comments, this thread would be halved.

I appreciate the insight from thefamousmortimer to reinforce CBOAT's leaks. These are the type of info GAF is famous for and why we keep coming back for more. We are literally witnessing the downfall of the Xbox brand and the possibility of Microsoft moving out of this console business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom