• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth announced, Fall 2014, PC [Trailer, Details]

It's weird to be using these "announcement" threads and other random threads for other games to discuss them the day before release...since the OT can't exist until release day now.

acksman

I had no clue this game was coming out, but glad this thread exists before the OT. It helps me get caught up before the OT and all that info arrives and the game is already out.

I'd say that Civfanatics would do in lieu of an OT, but the bellyaching over there is almost too much to put up with. Still, as far as franchises go, it's probably one of the more robust hangs out there.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Forgot all about this!

Cheapest place to preorder? Any bonuses?

I just preordered on Steam - here's what you get:

Pre-Purchase Offer said:
Pre-purchase Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth and receive the Exoplanets Map Pack for free.

The Exoplanets Map Pack includes six custom maps inspired by real-world exoplanets. Specialized scripts produce randomized geographic layouts each time a new game begins, allowing for even more replayability on new alien worlds.

• Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets.
• Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to the solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet’s settlement are well-preserved.
• Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources.
• Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness.
• 82 Eridani e: An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces.
• Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain.

Facism

I pre ordered this ages ago on GMG. They have the map pack now as pre order bonus but I don't have the code for that in the mail they sent today with the key.

Guess I bought at better price before they ran the pre order promo

i preordered last week and i only got 1 code.

edit: game shows up as civ beyond earth steam preorder. I'm guessing the map stuff comes along with it, no seperate key required. i will ask for us.

antitrop

So without an OT prior to release date where do we go to talk to each other about how excited we are to play this game? This old announcement thread?

Just giving my honest feedback about the change to GAF (no clue where to put this). It's kind of disappointing that there is nowhere to discuss imminently released games! The OT's where a source of a lot of fun anticipatory discussion.
What is happening is exactly what I said would happen.

People need a place to talk about games they're excited about. You can't just bottle it up.

vpance

I'd say that Civfanatics would do in lieu of an OT, but the bellyaching over there is almost too much to put up with. Still, as far as franchises go, it's probably one of the more robust hangs out there.

Haven't been following this. What kind of complaints do they have?

Ont

I already know that this is a game that I will like, a lot. Not really interested in reviews, but I predict excellent reviews for a Firaxis games. XCOM and latest Civilization games were great.

Raticus79

People need a place to talk about games they're excited about. You can't just bottle it up.

Yeah, need a pre-OT or something, or at least title edit this one with the release date.

Majukun

i just hope this game has good AI...civ V was really good and i dumped an excessive amount of hours on it..but the fun of playing with the cpu was diminshed by how nonsensical their diplomatic decisions were

Haven't been following this. What kind of complaints do they have?

I just meant in general. There's good players over there, and they can nitpick stuff to death. I just ducked in there for a bit over the weekend, and there's lots of 'reskinned CiV' or the usual 'A.I. sucks, can't handle water at all', etc. Some are STILL bitching about one unit per tile, so...yeah.

but the fun of playing with the cpu was diminshed by how nonsensical their diplomatic decisions were

The diplomatic decisions that the AI makes are actually very predictable, the game just does a poor job of providing feedback for why an AI makes the decision they are making (compounded by the fake-friendly crap that was introduced in the game).

I just meant in general. There's good players over there, and they can nitpick stuff to death. I just ducked in there for a bit over the weekend, and there's lots of 'reskinned CiV' or the usual 'A.I. sucks, can't handle water at all', etc. Some are STILL bitching about one unit per tile, so...yeah.

That's just CFC's general section for you. Bunch of scrubs. The only areas of that site worth reading are the custom content creation forums and the strategy forums (where the decent players hang out). The r/Civ reddit is leagues better than CFC for general civ talk.

Protein

Banned

Yeah, I know nothing of this game other than the few videos that were posted. I usually get most of my information about a game from reading a discussion.

d1rtn4p

Want to love this, but concerned after reading the Civ Fanatics forum... Some of the more prominent beta testers are saying there's significant AI flaws, just like Civ V.

If you're looking for a dump of the game information (i.e. you're an experienced Civ 5 player looking to see what's going on in Civ:BE), start here:

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civbe_overview.html

Some of the more prominent beta testers are saying there's significant AI flaws, just like Civ V.

Every symmetric 4x game is going to have significant AI flaws. There's no way to code an AI to play a complex game as well as a player. If those flaws are a problem, then play in a way that doesn't exploit them (there's a reason why Pangaea games in Civ 5 were the best games) and/or crank up the difficultly so the AI bonuses makes sure that the game is interesting to play despite the AI flaws.

People keep chasing that completely mythical 4X symmetric strategy AI that's as good as a player. Might as well hunt Bigfoot while you are at it.

Want to love this, but concerned after reading the Civ Fanatics forum... Some of the more prominent beta testers are saying there's significant AI flaws, just like Civ V.

If that's their biggest issue with the game then we honestly have nothing to worry about. Civ Vs AI wasn't perfect, but it wasn't so bad to ruin the fun of the game.

RulkezX

Anyone pre ordered digital titles from Amazon before? When do they usually send out codes.?

The biggest fans are always the biggest whiners.

Linkark07

Banned

AI flaws isn't a problem for me, can deal with it. The only thing that is stopping me from buying it are the initials bugs and glitches when a game is released.

Raticus79

I just hope they didn't branch off an early version of the code and they've fixed the memory management + saved game corruption problems that plagued early Civ 5.

Looks like the Mac and Linux versions are slated to be out "this holiday season". So those of you looking for platform native versions of the game shouldn't have to wait too long after release.

I just hope they didn't branch off an early version of the code and they've fixed the memory management + saved game corruption problems that plagued early Civ 5.

Firaxis is a modern software shop, even if they started with a pre-BNW version of the engine they are going to have the means to integrate branches with baseline performance improvements included in both games. Keep in mind that BNW is over a year old at this point.

vpance

The only things I'd worry about are major imbalance issues and gameplay exploits that encourage you to play in a specific way to win. Mainstream reviewers are never going to pick up on them so I think I'm going to wait a week or so before deciding to buy.

Majukun

The diplomatic decisions that the AI makes are actually very predictable, the game just does a poor job of providing feedback for why an AI makes the decision they are making (compounded by the fake-friendly crap that was introduced in the game).

well,i know that the CPU AI had a logic behind it,but it was that logic itself that was flawed and nonsensical..especially the whole "warmonger" problem,with the AI treating you like the most horrible person since adolf hitler if you dared to retaliate after being attacked...basically if it was for the cpu,i had to just defend myself against an aggressive nighbour and never,ever try to get one of his cities to avoid giving him a base near mines from which attack me..even if I'm not the one who started the war.
or when they decide to denounce you for no apparent reason other than you are winning

also,another thing i didn't like was that you are forced to commit to a single winning objective since the beginning..you can't adapt,or try to decide your goal based on the situation..like if you use war one time,even in 3000 b.c. ,you are a warmonger for all eternity and nobody wants to have diplomatic relations with you

Dylan

Except that the one that was created got locked.

I agree that there should be a place to at least get some info on a game before its release. But I also agree that OTs create a hype bubble that should be avoided.

Why else are we on GAF other than because we are hyped about games?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Given this:

http://i.imgur.com/hLhoeWm.jpg

What is the actual first place on earth that will be unlocking it? I can't really wrap my head around how all the different timezones and dates interrelate... so maybe a TimeMaster can chime in and help me out.

My friends are all hyped for this and I said screw it and jumped on the hype train with them. Didn't play much of Civ V, but the scifi in this one has me really interested.

If anyone is interested, DLGames has preorders for $38.99 after a coupon. It includes the dlc bonus. Coupon is DLG-OPHANJ

well,i know that the CPU AI had a logic behind it,but it was that logic itself that was flawed and nonsensical..especially the whole "warmonger" problem,with the AI treating you like the most horrible person since adolf hitler if you dared to retaliate after being attacked

You only get warmonger penalties for annexation of cities and managing and largely negating warmonger penalties is actually not a difficult thing to do, it just requires active scheming and plotting to ensure that no one cares if you eat half your neighbors land.

also,another thing i didn't like was that you are forced to commit to a single winning objective since the beginning..you can't adapt,or try to decide your goal based on the situation..like if you use war one time,even in 3000 b.c. ,you are a warmonger for all eternity and nobody wants to have diplomatic relations with you

I pretty much never set my wincon until turn 120-140 in a standard speed game.

edit: use flyvpn and one of the hong kong IDs to unlock the game early. Worked for Borderlands :pS (another 2K game), will work here too.

Is it the 24th yet

JointSilentBlacklab.gif

RulkezX

The VPN trick works on Steam ??

I've used it a lot on Origin, I always assumed it doesn't work on Steam or that Valved banned for it.

Except that the one that was created got locked.

I agree that there should be a place to at least get some info on a game before its release. But I also agree that OTs create a hype bubble that should be avoided.

I asked Zeliard about it and he said that the Steam thread was the place to talk about the game pre-release. He said that we could create a thread about a certain aspect of the game, and that would be ok.

I just don't uderstand. This is a game board and we can't have a dedicated thread about games that aren't released yet. It's just....strange.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just to note, I don't know if the VPN trick works or not with Steam, just if it does, you can get the game quicker if you use a VPN from the yellow zone.

Just to note, I don't know if the VPN trick works or not with Steam, just if it does, you can get the game quicker if you use a VPN from the yellow zone.

It has for years assuming staggered unlock times. Just last week it worked for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

Top Bottom