• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coca Cola introduces new "Coca Cola Life", sweetened with cane sugar and Stevia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Bottle looks nice, but no thanks, I'll stick with my water. Haven't had a soda in many years, and this won't convince me to change otherwise.

Stevia? How about just use all real sugar?

Can you tell me how sugar, a sweetener derived from plants is real. While stevia, a sweetener derived from plants is "fake sugar" that should not be used? What makes one good and one bad? Have you even ever tasted stevia?

segasonic

Which means regular is Coca-Cola Death?

pretty much

stock-footage-diabetic-obese-women-checks-her-blood-glucose-level.jpg

kurbaan

Banned
I'm guessing it would taste like shit. If they could make it work, they would've most certainly done it already,

Exactly. They arent just putting the amount of sugar they do just for the hell of it.

I just want them to use real sugar atleast. Is this stevia thing like aspartame? because if so no thanks.

Exactly. They arent just putting the amount of sugar they do just for the hell of it.

I just want them to use real sugar atleast. Is this stevia thing like aspartame? because if so no thanks.

Aspartame (APM; /ˈæspərteɪm/ or /əˈspɑrteɪm/) is an artificial, non-saccharide sweetener used as a sugar substitute in some foods and beverages.

Stevia (/ˈstiːvɪə/, /ˈstiːvjə/ or /ˈstɛvɪə/)[1][2][3][4] is a genus of about 240 species of herbs and shrubs in the sunflower family (Asteraceae), native to subtropical and tropical regions from western North America to South America. The species Stevia rebaudiana, commonly known as sweetleaf, sweet leaf, sugarleaf, or simply stevia, is widely grown for its sweet leaves. As a sweetener and sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, and some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations.

So no it isn't like aspartame.

Natural or artificial is not the point
Stevia is a gateway drug that gives you a sweet tooth and craving for sugar

And real sugar doesn't give you a sweet tooth and craving for sugar? Yeah okay.

I'd like to see your study that links stevia to sugar addiction. And mind you, stevia isn't an artificial zero calorie sweetener. It is just as natural as cane sugar.

Raistlin

Stevia is no good
It confuses the body like every sugar substitute
Pretty sure that's not the case, or at least it's less though than artificial sweeteners?

It does to me! It has an unnatural aftertaste, lets call it bitter.

I am one that can't really consume a lot of sugar, so trust me, I have tried to like it.
I regularly use Stevia in-the-Raw, but have to agree with this even though I'm mostly used to it now.

Is this the "real" sugar that you get when drinking Cola internationally/third world countries?
It's a mixture of real cane sugar and stevia

Eric C

meh, I don't really like Stevia

I've tried the 100% pure Stevia packets and it still has a bit of an aftertaste IMO. Maybe mixing it with sugar helps?

Stevia (/ˈstiːvɪə/, /ˈstiːvjə/ or /ˈstɛvɪə/)[1][2][3][4] is a genus of about 240 species of herbs and shrubs in the sunflower family (Asteraceae), native to subtropical and tropical regions from western North America to South America. The species Stevia rebaudiana, commonly known as sweetleaf, sweet leaf, sugarleaf, or simply stevia, is widely grown for its sweet leaves. As a sweetener and sugar substitute, stevia's taste has a slower onset and longer duration than that of sugar, and some of its extracts may have a bitter or licorice-like aftertaste at high concentrations.

So no it isn't like aspartame.

yeah, a licorice like aftertaste, that's the best way to describe it.

JawzPause

Is it the eco-green wrapper? The droplets of soothing condensation sliding down the glass? The shot focused on the lone bottle sitting in ample waves of rustic grass? Or maybe it's the bottles inconspicuously placed next to the freshly picked flowers, so you know this Coke is fresh off the farm?

Marketing: it's either clever or we're all idiots.

we're all idiots

Stevias "sweetness" still tastes icy and synthetic to me like the other substitutes

I prefer if they switch back to cane sugar from HFCS and just call it coke without the gimmicky green theme, iirc the Mexican coca cola in the glass bottles is pretty much that but a little more pricey

kaskade

I'm definitely curious to try it. I like that they are blending the natural sugar and stevia. Hopefully that way it retains more of the regular Coca-Cola flavor.

Tucah

you speak so well
Wish it was just all cane sugar instead of partially stevia, stevia has that nasty aftertaste.

blackflag

108 calories too many.

Screw wasting my calorie allowance on soda. I'll stick with unsweetened tea, water, and the occasional Coke Zero.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
108 calories too many.

Screw wasting my calorie allowance on soda. I'll stick with unsweetened tea, water, and the occasional Coke Zero.

Agreed. It feels like a half-measure. It's something, but...not enough for me. Put goddamn Stevia in Zero please!

I read title as saliva and was like...okay...

But regarding Stevia (where it grows) and the fact local brands of coke use slightly different ingredients (I'm pretty sure its not HFCS here in the UK) makes me wonder how limited this worldwide release will be or how much more it'll cost.

Agreed. It feels like a half-measure. It's something, but...not enough for me. Put goddamn Stevia in Zero please!
We could call it coca cola zero life...I can see it flying off the shelves...

Matt

I prefer if they switch back to cane sugar from HFCS and just call it coke without the gimmicky green theme, iirc the Mexican coca cola in the glass bottles is pretty much that but a little more pricey

That's what Coke is everywhere in the world except the USA. This new product is something different.

Crub

Design looks super appealing. I'll give this a try out of curiosity, even though I don't really enjoy soft drinks anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom