• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghost on Wii U official, ported by Treyarch, 5 other Activision titles too

This. The currency shift since launch alone accounts for around $70. In theory they could drop deluxe to $280 and have the exact same loss/gain scenario that they did at launch.

Thanks, I thought it was a fairly big drop.
If they really wanted to be drastic and are willing to lose some cash, drop the Deluxe to 250$
That could really push some systems being 150 less and 250 less then the main competition. Anyways, Nintendo would probably make their money back fast with the 3D Mario, DKC TF, and the 2014 line up should be a gold mine for Nintendo.

Mlatador

Banned
They're the only people other than Retro, Ubisoft Paris, and HVS who know how to program a Wii-mote for FPS games.

That is true. Those studios (hopefully High Voltage Sotfware will make a comeback on Wii U) definitely know how to make IR pointer aiming shine.

jeffers

This. The currency shift since launch alone accounts for around $70. In theory they could drop deluxe to $280 and have the exact same loss/gain scenario that they did at launch.

gotta be careful it doesn't swing back once you drop the price though.

Appleman

Five player multiplayer? Four on the TV and one on the Gamepad? Anyone?

Blops 2 didn't have it unfortunately, in fact, if you had more than 2 player you had to all play on the main display. Not sure if that'll be improved for Ghosts, but Treyarch are pretty great a supporting Nintendo consoles and listening to fans and forums so we'll see

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Multiplayer runs just fine, and that's what matters most. Blops 2 single player took a hit in fps, but I would expect any kinks to be ironed out for the new game.
It's true that single player was much worse, but multiplayer dips pretty regularly as well. I'd imagine most people won't notice due to the action, however, as it generally holds up when nothing is happening.

Conor 419

Banned
The September-July software wave will be a very important time for the Wii U, I feel it's Nintendo follow (if not reinforce) this with a new model for the system. Everything still points to Nintendo missing the perfect opportunity ro re-enter the power game however, with the only system to support free CoD could have been a big deal, I guess it still can be; again strong marketing is needed.

Microsoft are incompetent.

Furthermore, I feel that continued support from Activision can only be good for the system, it might be what eventually re-forces EA into supporting this system. Whilst Battlefield's campaign is widely considered to be terrible, I don't think EA would want to avoid it competing with CoD on all fronts.

Mlatador

Banned
You forget that Nintendo has Fish AI patented since Super Mario 64.

That's why it took them so long to announce it, there obviously was a dispute using Nintendo patents on other consoles^
^ lol

Anyway, as I said many times: Pointer Controls and I'm in. Day One just for that.

926.gif

Dave Long

Banned
Blops 2 didn't have it unfortunately, in fact, if you had more than 2 player you had to all play on the main display. Not sure if that'll be improved for Ghosts, but Treyarch are pretty great a supporting Nintendo consoles and listening to fans and forums so we'll see
OK, very good. I hope they consider it. I realize it's not great for team games, but for free for all multiplayer modes, it's great to have more. More is always better.

I love the gamepad.

fred

So can someone tell me how comfortable it is using the wiiu controller for fps games?

The GamePad is very ergonomical, as is the Pro controller - but if you're going to use either one of those control methods then prepare to get severely pwned by anyone using pointer controls with the remote and nunchuck. Pointer controls are smoother, faster and more accurate than dual analogs by a mile.

Shauni

the launch userbase was low for blops 2, but it was actually a pretty decent group of people who played. i found myself leaving voice chat on with strangers much more often because of how undouchey (and not in middle school) people were compared to xbox live. i would definitely recommend the series on wii u (as long as they continue to follow the trend blops 2 set.... and bring us dlc this time).

Oh yeah, I wasn't even thinking about the DLC. That would be another potential issue, I guess. Though, I tend to find myself mixed on COD's DLC. I find there's usually only one map I really like from the map packs and the rest I can toss. I tend to get them more so because most of my friends do and they bitch and moan at me about it until I cave.

I'm pleasantly surprised Activision is supporting the Wii U like this.

EA's made it clear they're not bringing their titles to the platform simply for financial reasons. Bad sales, so not enough gain for the effort.

Surely Activision's position on the Wii U is the same. I bet their titles sell like ass on the console. If I recall correctly, Black Ops II sold peanuts. Yet they're still putting out games on it even though it financially probably doesn't make sense too.

Genuinely curious why there is a difference between EA/Activision on this...

Ridley327

EA's made it clear they're not bringing their titles to the platform simply for financial reasons. Bad sales, so not enough gain for the effort.

Surely Activision's position on the Wii U is the same. I bet their titles sell like ass on the console. If I recall correctly, Black Ops II sold peanuts. Yet they're still putting out games on it even though it financially probably doesn't make sense too.

I think the difference is that Activision can afford to do Wii U ports and EA can't.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good.

And seriously, they should advertise it as "the only next gen version with free online multiplayer" XD

Tripon

Activision needs Nintendo consoles to help sell Skylanders and other shovelware games.

Schnozberry

Hopefully with the improvements Nintendo has made to the dev kits between last year and now, Treyarch will be able to iron out some of the performance bugs. I'll pick this one up. It's going to be an expensive second half of the year for Wii U owners.

So Activision are happy with the *20k* sales they could get from the WiiU version while for EA those *20k* potential sales of FIFA14 aren't worth the effort?

Great to see that Activision aren't following EA's steps.

Great to see Activision not making wise business decisions?

Terrible idea to bring it to WiiU. It will sell barely anything. Especially being a rushed port with the 2 big consoles releasing this year, also probably being the superior versions.

Good for the 35 or so CoD fans with a WiiU I guess.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I think the difference is that Activision can afford to do Wii U ports and EA can't.
EA is in pretty bad shape. I believe a mere port of x360 FIFA/Madden versions would have been rather inexpensive. I love the FIFA 12.5 for the .5 they specifically developed, but it had a cost that prevented to achieve an ROI. I would have enjoyed the game just as much if not more if it had merely kept the higher rez textures, kept all the rest identical to the twins versions, and added Off TV. The game would have released at the same time as the other versions, and sold more.

I don't blame them at all, but EA made some wrong decisions with Wii U. Hopefully not releasing games this fall on a recovering Wii U will be another one, so that we see them come back next year with lessons learnt.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good news. I'm getting the PS4 version myself, but good that the WiiU sees more games. I also wonder why they announced it so late. It makes me wonder if a Call of Duty game for Vita might make it this year as well.

Good.

And seriously, they should advertise it as "the only next gen version with free online multiplayer" XD
PC version also have free online :) (i know you mean consoles only).

Fandangox

Pretty sure its simply different business tactics. Probably Activision has more faith on the Wii U than EA does, so they think the risk of developing now would leave them in a better position if the Wii U starts getting a decent flow of userbase.

Could also be the lack of EA let the door opens for CoD to have relatively less competition audience-wise on the Wii U.

prag16

Banned
Great to see Activision not making wise business decisions?

Terrible idea to bring it to WiiU. It will sell barely anything. Especially being a rushed port with the 2 big consoles releasing this year, also probably being the superior versions.

Good for the 35 or so CoD fans with a WiiU I guess.

2800 people were on BO2 last night. No need to exaggerate. The number is low enough as it is. -_-

As for the game losing money, I'm not even convinced BO2 Wii U lost money. Ubisoft said it cost them 1.2 million USD to port games to Wii U at launch. Even if it cost Activision twice that, 80k sales are enough to break even. BO2 sold more than that easily (though still sold badly).

gogogow

I don't think finances are a problem for EA.

If you don't even give the most basic of games, like Fifa and Madden, you know there's more going on in the background than just "the games aren't selling/userbase too small" excuse. Even Vita is getting a port of Fifa (Madden still unknown AFAIK).

pvpness

2800 people were on BO2 last night. No need to exaggerate. The number is low enough as it is. -_-

As for the game losing money, I'm not even convinced BO2 Wii U lost money. Ubisoft said it cost them 1.2 million USD to port games to Wii U at launch. Even if it cost Activision twice that, 80k sales are enough to break even. BO2 sold more than that easily (though still sold badly).

No no no. This is one of the best parts. If a company doesn't support Nintendo it's because they obviously can't make money there. If they do support Nintendo it's obviously just bad business cause it's inconceivable that they might actually make some money. It's a no win scenario by default. Making decisions like this mystical.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

There's only 5000 people online in FIFA, yet it takes only seconds to find an opponent at any time of the day. I'm regularly online in this game BTW, add me as a friend if you read this Wii U soccer fans.

gogogow

No no no. This is one of the best parts. If a company doesn't support Nintendo it's because they obviously can't make money there. If they do support Nintendo it's obviously just bad business cause it's inconceivable that they might actually make some money. It's a no win scenario by default. Making decisions like this mystical.

- Hahahaha, Wii U sucks, no (third party) games!
- What a terrible decision to release this game on Wii U, good for the 35 people interested in it!

seriously, what do people want?!

prag16

Banned
There's only 5000 people online in FIFA, yet it takes only seconds to find an opponent at any time of the day. I'm regularly online in this game BTW, add me as a friend if you read this Wii U soccer fans.

I wasn't able to get a match in Madden last night. It said 68 people were online, but I'm not sure if that's the online lobby(s) or the amount of people TOTAL (that are logged into EA servers even if not playing online). Around launch I never saw it go above 50, so I'm assuming those are the online players. Surprised it was actually higher now. But didn't get a match (only tried to search a couple times though).

D-e-f-

Banned
Why don't they make a CoD Ghost Wii U bundle?

I think it would sell....somewhat

The MS deal for the exclusive marketing stuff is still in place, I think.

With how long it took you'd think they'd make a big deal out of the announcement.

Then again Earthbound was slipped under the rug as well.

What's up with Nintendo and their unwillingness to create hype in easy places?

Yes, sure, it's Nintendo who didn't want to announce the game lol.

Top Bottom