• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghost on Wii U official, ported by Treyarch, 5 other Activision titles too

PusherT

The PS4 and Xbox One versions of those games will definitely have a leg up, but Wii U off-TV play is a big incentive for me.

That being said, unless games like KH3 and FFXV are announced for Wii U at some point (doubtful), I'll buy a PS4 eventually.

That is the irony if the wii u 3rd party games this season preform well or amazing 3rd parties will have Wii U versions ready.

Nintendo's already in a position where they're taking a loss on every Wii U sold. It's a relatively small loss, something in the order of $50-$70, but it's still a loss. Dropping the price by even $50 this holiday would widen that loss to $100 per system. Now, the 3DS also sold at a lost post-price drop, but it was something like $20 a unit, and they made the system profitable by 2012. Without a revision in their approach, either through design or something else, Nintendo will be hard-pressed to push the price down, especially after losing money for two years straight. Can Nintendo take the loss? Absolutely. One has to wonder if Nintendo has the brass to do such a thing to better the install base. Sony and MS went for years on $300+ losses to establish the PS3 and 360, but Nintendo is smaller and fiercely cheap. So, who knows.

Initially, but the Yen fell a lot reducing the actual price to make the system. I think the wii u may be breaking even/ slight profit at this point, the Ubisoft CEO I believe said Nintendo should take advantage of the week Yen to push the price down
(Could be wrong, but pretty sure this is correct)

Nintendo's already in a position where they're taking a loss on every Wii U sold. It's a relatively small loss, something in the order of $50-$70, but it's still a loss. Dropping the price by even $50 this holiday would widen that loss to $100 per system. Now, the 3DS also sold at a lost post-price drop, but it was something like $20 a unit, and they made the system profitable by 2012. Without a revision in their approach, either through design or something else, Nintendo will be hard-pressed to push the price down, especially after losing money for two years straight. Can Nintendo take the loss? Absolutely. One has to wonder if Nintendo has the brass to do such a thing to better the install base. Sony and MS went for years on $300+ losses to establish the PS3 and 360, but Nintendo is smaller and fiercely cheap. So, who knows.

Don't worry. They have enough money to handle a price drop. They aren't that small as everyone thinks. Sure, not on a Sony/MS size, but they can handle a loss situation for some time.

FyreWulff

awesome.

one of the early CoD Wii games (CoD3?) had AMAZING wiimote controls, just a tight non-configurable bounding box. once you got accustomed to the bounding box it was amazing. a bigger or configurable bounding box would be incredible.

of course there is RE4Wii. Controls so good it made much of the game trivial.

You can edit the bounding box in real-time via the gamepad on Blops U. Actually, you can edit every parameter on the fly (sensitivity, etc) via the gamepad and test it instantly on the TV screen. It's pretty well done.

You can even switch between gamepad and pointer on the fly.

xandaca

I sometimes question the hit detection with the Wiimote. I've seen a couple Final Kills where the gun was facing in one direction, while a shot that was way off counted as a hit.

The killcams are pretty bad for both analogue and Wiimote to be honest. I've tried the game with both control systems (don't particularly like DA, but have done some Off-TV play due to the lack of an HDTV at my mother's house) and seen replays which completely misrepresent where I was aiming at the time.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I sometimes question the hit detection with the Wiimote. I've seen a couple Final Kills where the gun was facing in one direction, while a shot that was way off counted as a hit.

Is a "problem" with the Way the floating wii-mote pointer works and the replay mode data. With dual-sticks & Mouse, the cross-hair remains always centered. The replay mode (Final Kill), assumes that even if the user was using a Wii-mote, since you are feed a list of the player actions, not a recorded video, and looks like the vector information of the Wii-mote isn't present (or is incomplete) in that data.

I really despise these kinds of post.

Why? It really IS up to Nintendo Fans (which is most of the current user base) to buy their games to show the console can support third party. The people that buy a console for third party games more than likely still own a X360 or PS3.

What Nintendo needs to do is convince Activision (and other 3rd parties), to open up their multiplayer so you can play against people on other consoles.

That would easily increase sales of the WiiU version since someone won't be worried about not being able to play against their friends.

The PC version would need to be kept separate though. Just wouldn't be fair.

Too bad Microsoft and Sony would rail against the idea.

Actually, the port was pretty good.

Yep. Considering, anyway. It did have the worst framerate during the campaign, but multiplayer was pretty much locked at 60 fps, and the pad play was a really cool addition over split screen. I picked it up, played through it, played some zombies, and traded it in, and was happy with what I got out of it. I don't think I'll get Ghosts, but BLOPS2 was a decent port, even if it was an inferior one in some regards.

StevieP

Banned
What Nintendo needs to do is convince Activision (and other 3rd parties), to open up their multiplayer so you can play against people on other consoles.

That would easily increase sales of the WiiU version since someone won't be worried about not being able to play against their friends.

The wiimote IR puts other console players at almost as much of a disadvantage as the PC players would

Don't worry. They have enough money to handle a price drop. They aren't that small as everyone thinks.
They are small. But they are rich. They're the third largest company in Japan, but only have about 5000 employees worldwide. Compared to other tech companies, that's tiny. Especially so to their direct competition. They're small and focused on one market but in that market, they're a king. 11 billion in reserve is a lot to toss around, but Nintendo is ultimately cheap. They've shown multiple times in the past that they would rather maintain profitability than drop their prices, the 3DS being an exception. I think the tell-all for a Wii U price drop will be how it performs at the current price with actual heavy hitters available for it. If the Wii U fails to gain traction by November, then I believe that Nintendo will drop the price. Right now they seem dogged in their perception that the Wii U is worth what they're charging, which is not a position they took right before they hit the button on the 3DS.

FyreWulff

The way killcams work is essentially massive amounts of networked lies, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Happens on other platforms too.

Wont happen, but it would be great.

Hope Nintendo actually does some Advertising maybe a bundle.

It could be an attractive buy for parents if Nintendo drops the price to 300 with a bundle with CoD

100 less then PS4 free online
200 less than Xbone minus all of the Kinect/ DRM flip flops

Wii-mote aiming was vastly improved when I stopped playing the game.

They fixed all that? GOOD. Assuming they don't throw that away, I'll probably be picking up Ghosts then. If only because I love FPS on Wii/U. And PC is my other system too.

EDIT: It'd also be nice if they were to lower the aim assist for DA, I remember getting shafted by how ludicrously strong it was for them. And AA did nothing for Wiimote at the time.

Wont happen, but it would be great.

Hope Nintendo actually does some Advertising maybe a bundle.

It could be an attractive buy for parents if Nintendo drops the price to 300 with a bundle with CoD

100 less then PS4 free online
200 less than Xbone minus all of the Kinect/ DRM flip flops

It's a fun hypothetical. Activision is one of the few companies that has the clout to make something like that happen though.

Why? It really IS up to Nintendo Fans (which is most of the current user base) to buy their games to show the console can support third party. The people that buy a console for third party games more than likely still own a X360 or PS3.
Don't pretend like you don't know why. You make an inflammatory remark and make sweeping generalizations about Nintendo fans and baseless assumptions about the poster you quoted. The "classic troll response" of just dismissing someone for being a "fanboy" was why he didn't like your post

Exile20

So you have to be some Nintendo fanboy to own a Nintendo console? Why not just be a gamer? There are more games on a nintendo console than just Nintendo developed games.

Do you tell the same when a game is released on Sony or MS consoles?

Are there third party fanboys too?

If you are a gamer and can afford a Wii U, why wouldn't you buy one as a gamer to like I don't know, play games.

Not feasible, for reasons you get listed. However, cross platform play with the PC might actually be feasible, given its open structure. Both MS and Sony have done the same for their consoles in the past and present.

But really, that's an unnecessary step. Nintendo would do best in this hypothetical to toss some money around at Activision to bundle up CoD like they should have done last year, and start a big marketing blitz about how their online is free, since now both Microsoft and Sony have required subscriptions for online. Nintendo would also have to do whatever it took to maintain feature parity with the other versions, such as YouTube support and whatever else might be in the package. Would require some adjustments to the Nintendo Network, but that's already something on their checklist anyway.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Eh, I'm not so sure that would make much difference in sales. Some peopl might chase achievements/trophies, some might want to use their headsets (that don't work on U), and some like using their preferred controller.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome news. I was kinda worried about how not having this game would impact the Wii U. Even if the console doesn't get every third party multiplat, it will hopefully get the biggest ones. Nintendo needs all the victories they can get right now.

Shauni

Cool that it's been confirmed for Wii U for those who needed it. I'm in a weird place with Ghosts. I play with 5-6 good friends off and on with COD, but I know two of them are getting PS4s and playing Ghost there, and one of them is skipping Ghosts, at least for the foreseeable future. I would be tempted to get it on the Wii U since I'll most likely have one by the time Ghosts hit, since it would add a few new tweaks to how to play COD, but the low userbase makes me wary of doing so.

tarheel91

Eh, I'm not so sure that would make much difference in sales. Some peopl might chase achievements/trophies, some might want to use their headsets (that don't work on U), and some like using their preferred controller.

Just because their are other reasons people choose to buy it on a different console doesn't make removing a certain problem valueless. It would make buying the game much more appealing to a given portion of the market, and probably increase sales as a result.

scitek

Developed/Ported by Treyarch, not IW.

https://twitter.com/Treyarch/status/360445074506653696

g9QpuSz.png

Good. Treyarch's one of the Wii/Wii U's best developers. They're one of the few to give it any amount of respect and nail the systems' strengths as a result.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
happy about this.
the only way I'm interest in pure fps is playing them with wiimote.
the offtv is another nice addition considering how I played the last cod on wiiu (local multy without split)

Mlatador

Banned
You can edit the bounding box in real-time via the gamepad on Blops U. Actually, you can edit every parameter on the fly (sensitivity, etc) via the gamepad and test it instantly on the TV screen. It's pretty well done.

You can even switch between gamepad and pointer on the fly.

What? That's a big deal to me. I like customizing the controls, so that it becomes second nature to me, and that would make experimenting MUCH faster and more comfortable.

Cool!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The wiimote IR puts other console players at almost as much of a disadvantage as the PC players would

It depends on what you're used to. You don't just pick up the Wiimote and instantly start clobbering people. I'm still fiddling with the settings, and am doing ok, but I'm waaaay better with a dual shock.

Still, it's nice to have these choices available, and Wiimote is a very fun way to play.

I'm kind of torn on this sort of talk. On the one hand, I get where you are coming from. A big game is getting a port that -- at least given what we know right now -- isn't going to be some half-assed afterthought. If something like Call of Duty can't sell at all, it lends a lot of credibility to the notion that AAA third party software will not have much commercial success, and most definitely takes some of the wind out of the sails in terms of people crying foul about shoddy support for the Wii U among third parties.

On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to place the hopes of the entire platform on one game and accuse people of being all talk if they don't support it. Obviously, Nintendo fans who want better third party support need to understand a lot of eyes will be on the sales numbers of stuff like Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, and Watch_Dogs. But it's unfair to paint people who may legitimately not be interested in these titles and may legitimately be interested in other third party titles as behaving like fanboy hypocrites, or something along those lines.

TL21xx

Banned
Lets do this then!

I was wondering if we had a GAF clan. Count me in!

NNID: AD0gChasingCars

I'll add you all later today and change the clan tag to GAF

On the topic of Ghosts, I'll jump on eventually. Glad to see it come to Wii U and that the port's being done by Treyarc. Hopefully they support this one better.

but will the wii-u be able to handle next-gen fish AI???

You forget that Nintendo has Fish AI patented since Super Mario 64.

That's why it took them so long to announce it, there obviously was a dispute using Nintendo patents on other consoles^^ lol

Anyway, as I said many times: Pointer Controls and I'm in. Day One just for that.

prag16

Banned
Initially, but the Yen fell a lot reducing the actual price to make the system. I think the wii u may be breaking even/ slight profit at this point, the Ubisoft CEO I believe said Nintendo should take advantage of the week Yen to push the price down
(Could be wrong, but pretty sure this is correct)

This. The currency shift since launch alone accounts for around $70. In theory they could drop deluxe to $280 and have the exact same loss/gain scenario that they did at launch.

The_Lump

Banned
I'm kind of torn on this sort of talk. On the one hand, I get where you are coming from. A big game is getting a port that -- at least given what we know right now -- isn't going to be some half-assed afterthought. If something like Call of Duty can't sell at all, it lends a lot of credibility to the notion that AAA third party software will not have much commercial success, and most definitely takes some of the wind out of the sails in terms of people crying foul about shoddy support for the Wii U among third parties.

On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to place the hopes of the entire platform on one game and accuse people of being all talk if they don't support it. Obviously, Nintendo fans who want better third party support need to understand a lot of eyes will be on the sales numbers of stuff like Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, and Watch_Dogs. But it's unfair to paint people who may legitimately not be interested in these titles and may legitimately be interested in other third party titles as behaving like fanboy hypocrites, or something along those lines.

Yup, it's a rather grey area. I see both sides of that argument and can understand both

I think the WiiU userbase just simply needs to be bigger before we can use it as a reliable test bed. Sounds contradictory I know, but I know what I mean. Kinda.

Top Bottom