• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghost on Wii U official, ported by Treyarch, 5 other Activision titles too

pvpness

- Hahahaha, Wii U sucks, no (third party) games!
- What a terrible decision to release this game on Wii U, good for the 35 people interested in it!

seriously, what do people want?!

Lol. My angst is more centered a around the fact that we no longer get laser accurate numbers (for any game /system) like we used to. It allows people to just throw any numbers around they want without any fear of consequence. Shit like that used to be punishable by death round these parts. People love to pretend they know all the details, which is bullshit.

Effect

Activision needs Nintendo consoles to help sell Skylanders and other shovelware games.

This. I was going to say that Activision has supported Nintendo more in the past but by looking at their wiki pages that list their games they seem about even. Perhaps Activision has historically seen more success on Nintendo hardware across a range of titles. I know Nintendo systems haven't been the most successful for EA when it comes to their sports titles. At least I think that's the case. I wonder how their non-sports titles did in the past. I would have imagined that the 007 games on Nintendo hardware had to do well considering Goldeneye 007 was so successful on the N64 and a lot of Bond games come out on the GameCube.

Which reminds me of something I've been wondering about. Nintendo is pretty much getting all of Activision's titles this year save one. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. Of all the games why is that not being released on the Wii U? Anyone know?

EA being no shows means Wii U owners won't consider their games if they ever do show up at some point, especially as the install base grows. Or trust the quality of a Wii U version if they own a PS4 or XBO going forward (one might consider a Wii U version of a game for off-tv play or some other gamepad feature). That user base will grow. Period. I don't understand the good business sense in completely handing over the FPS market of a single console to a competitor.

Which reminds me of something I've been wondering about. Nintendo is pretty much getting all of Activision's titles this year save one. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game. Of all the games why is that not being released on the Wii U? Anyone know?

Isn't that a downloadable game? Activision has NOTHING on the Wii U eShop.

EDIT: Nope, it's the other one. Well, that has a weird mix of platforms to begin with.

prag16

Banned

That's a bit of a head scratcher. It would stand to reason it could be a good fit as an eshop game. Same logic applies to the Castle of Illusion remake (not Activision obviously).

EDIT: I was thinking of the "Out of Shadows" one as well. Yeah, what's with the eshop hate from Activision...

Dave Long

Banned
I think for all the hate that he gets, Bobby Kotick is a pretty good businessman. Why burn bridges with Nintendo? At the end of the day, Nintendo are in the business of selling videogames and only selling videogames. There's always the chance another Wii will arrive from them in the future or something even bigger. It's foolish to act like EA has with games they want to port everywhere but Wii U.

I'm glad that it's coming to Wii U so that more can play it.
Unfortunately I don't give two shits about Call of Duty, and I'd play this on PC even if I did.

gogogow

2800 people were on BO2 last night. No need to exaggerate. The number is low enough as it is. -_-

As for the game losing money, I'm not even convinced BO2 Wii U lost money. Ubisoft said it cost them 1.2 million USD to port games to Wii U at launch. Even if it cost Activision twice that, 80k sales are enough to break even. BO2 sold more than that easily (though still sold badly).
How many people are registered on the leaderboards? I'm interested to pick up the Wii U version this time around. I hope sales will improve for this one.

Like others have mentioned, I feel pretty confident that this is more about Skylanders than anything else. Maybe Activision has research showing better potential growth for that franchise on Wii U over other next-gen systems. The delay in announcing Ghosts may have related to negotiating marketing/ promotional consideration with Nintendo. I think a Skylanders bundle (combined with the inevitable price drop) would really help both companies and a full effort port of Ghosts may have part of the deal. It's fun to speculate!

I think for all the hate that he gets, Bobby Kotick is a pretty good businessman. Why burn bridges with Nintendo? At the end of the day, Nintendo are in the business of selling videogames and only selling videogames. There's always the chance another Wii will arrive from them in the future or something even bigger. It's foolish to act like EA has with games they want to port everywhere but Wii U.
He is definitely one of the best CEOs of any software company in existence; definitely I think his approach is doing more harm that good, but that's the case with most of the businesses currently making good amounts of profit.

v1oz

I definitely trust Treyarch over Infinity Ward when it comes to Nintendo hardware. They have a long history with Nintendo and have nailed Wiimote FPS controls. They also proved IW wrong when they showed MW could be ported in entirety to the Wii.

Donnie

So Activision are happy with the *20k* sales they could get from the WiiU version while for EA those *20k* potential sales of FIFA14 aren't worth the effort?

Great to see that Activision aren't following EA's steps.

Call of Duty sold around 200k on WiiU as far as I'm aware.

Frodo

why would people buy Wii U version over PS4/X1 version?

Maybe they don't have/want a PS4/Xbox180. Maybe they want Off-TV play. Maybe they want IR pointer controls, maybe they want local multiplayer with no split-screen. Maybe the new gen twins won't be out at November 05th. Maybe a combination of all the above. I don't know.

Einbroch

Banned
While this is good news, too many people are entrenched on 360 and (to a lesser extent) PS3 as their CoD system that this won't sell much. But it's a port, so I guess it doesn't really have to.

Anyone else think this announcement may have been delayed due to Nintendo and Activision possibly squabbling over E Shop cuts?

Could explain why none of their games are on the e shop. I hope this changes soon,
Hopefully with this announcement they reached an agreement.

Burn bridges? Nintendo wants every developer they can get right now. Anyone can do anything they like to them. Fanboys saying "I never buy EA anyway" don't matter.

Activision held off because of negotiations of funding and crap. All about money.
Remember, MS raised the price of Gold right after Activision negotiated a share of all XBL Gold revenue.

Malvingt2

Burn bridges? Nintendo wants every developer they can get right now. Anyone can do anything they like to them. Fanboys saying "I never buy EA anyway" don't matter.

Activision held off because of negotiations of funding and crap. All about money.

are you an insider?

Mlatador

Banned
why would people buy Wii U version over PS4/X1 version? I mean if you have both consoles or plan to get a PS4/X1

Easy:

- There is nothing on PS4/XB1 that interest me

- Pointer Controls

- Gamepad integration (gonna be good for TV/Gamepad Co-Op Mode)

- Probably better graphics than PS360

- It comes out for a console I actually own :)

EDIT: oh, and I forgot: It will probably have better fish A.I. on a Nintendo console :DD

Garryk

Glad another 3rd party is committing.

I wish EA would make an exception and give me Rivals on the Wii U. Most Wanted was sooooo good.

0177_wfu9f.gif

What the fuck is he doing?

I'm kind of torn on this sort of talk. On the one hand, I get where you are coming from. A big game is getting a port that -- at least given what we know right now -- isn't going to be some half-assed afterthought. If something like Call of Duty can't sell at all, it lends a lot of credibility to the notion that AAA third party software will not have much commercial success, and most definitely takes some of the wind out of the sails in terms of people crying foul about shoddy support for the Wii U among third parties.

On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to place the hopes of the entire platform on one game and accuse people of being all talk if they don't support it. Obviously, Nintendo fans who want better third party support need to understand a lot of eyes will be on the sales numbers of stuff like Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, and Watch_Dogs. But it's unfair to paint people who may legitimately not be interested in these titles and may legitimately be interested in other third party titles as behaving like fanboy hypocrites, or something along those lines.

I think I'll just wait and see - apologies if my post sounded a bit harsh, but it's tough to be skeptical when it comes to a multiplatform release. It's been ages since Nintendo won with that (excluding handhelds). And at least it's not a late port!

Easy:

- There is nothing on PS4/XB1 that interest me

- Pointer Controls

- Gamepad integration (gonna be good for TV/Gamepad Co-Op Mode)

- Probably better graphics than PS360

- It comes out for a console I actually own :)

EDIT: oh, and I forgot: It will probably have better fish A.I. on a Nintendo console :DD

Exactly, I have about zero incentive to buy a PS4/ Xbone.
-Exclusives for both are meh
-Destiny looks good, but I think it will be at the least on the PC and possibly the wii u
-I think people will be disappointing when/ if they find out that the PS4/ Xbone are not going to be much more powerful than the Wii U.

FZZ

Banned
Treyarch is usually good with ports to Nintendo consoles so this version should be pretty good.

Now only if DLC would be guaranteed...

18-Volt

New Spongebob crapware? No... If you have to make a licensed game, you should make it a Lego game, Activision. That way it'll sell better and play better. Plus, there's already a Spongebob Lego theme. Do it, now.

spoken like a true nintendo fan. It's not like PS4/X1 wont get any more games after launch or for the next 6 years.

Well, sure, but really the lineup for PS4/XB1 is pretty damn bleak this year. I have a PS4 preordered but don't really have anything I want to buy for it. So I might push it off, we'll see.

If you're a fan of games it's a perfectly reasonable move to wait on the PS4/XB1 for those games they'll be getting next year and buy more stuff this year for more affordable/already owned platforms.

BrhysH

spoken like a true nintendo fan. It's not like PS4/X1 wont get any more games after launch or for the next 6 years.

Lolz

His opinion about the launch titles doesn't mean he won't get a ps4/one down the line. Not everyone has money to drop on new consoles right away.

Anyways this is good news I'll be picking it up day one. :)

Madness

Forget all the other shit like Spongebob or Angry Birds, why isn't Activision pressuring Bungie on Destiny for Wii U. I don't really care but a lot of Nintendo fans will miss out on a great new franchise, one that is coming on x360/ps3.

Mlatador

Banned

I'm talking about the already announced titles. I haven't said there won't ever be a game or games on those consoles that will get my interest. Out of the ones I know there is nothing.

As for the X1 - I will never get that, even if there are games which would interest me. I just don't wont to support Microsoft in any form.

And just having better hardware (like in the PS4) is something I stopped caring a long time ago. Unless you are Microsoft, a company who doesn't have any problem to be downright hostile to it's potential customers, Games are all I care about.

And in this regard the Wii U has by far the best line-up this fall/winter I think.

Keyouta

Exactly, I have about zero incentive to buy a PS4/ Xbone.
-Exclusives for both are meh
-Destiny looks good, but I think it will be at the least on the PC and possibly the wii u
-I think people will be disappointing when/ if they find out that the PS4/ Xbone are not going to be much more powerful than the Wii U.

You should look up the specs of those systems. I don't think people will be disappointed.

On topic, Treyarch is a great studio and I have full faith they'll make a great game for Wii U, COD BO2 was really good on the system.

Top Bottom