• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

25 minutes to install a game... This is why I'm holding off until next year. The original plan for the Xbox One was that every disc would act as an install, yet they leave it at such slow speeds.

Baffling.

Its only one game we have no idea if its the same on ps4 or if other games also need 25min. Killzone devs optimized the game for it so you can start playing within 3 min.

DarkFlow

Banned
I really don't like MS, but everyone should just calm down and wait till the 22nd. MS did not plan to launch the console untill that date and will be working on their remaining issues. Let them fix them and then rip on them if shit is not working properly day one and it bricks the console.

I really hope that MS are taking Target to town for their fuck up, because releasing it into the wild has really caused a shitstorm.
Do you really think target cares all that much about Microsoft? I doubt Xbox sales make up a large % of sales. They are not GameStop and don't depend on video games for the bottom line.

Iacobellis

How long does it take for PC games?

I'm pretty sure people that buy/build a PC are aware of install times. Especially when they can use the computer like normal during the installation.

The average gamer or soccer mom buying this console for her kids is going to be upset knowing it could be over a half hour before the system can actually be used. I don't blame them for not knowing, Microsoft hasn't even come close to disclosing details of this.

hornetpie

Neo Member
guys this is what happened i think

Microsoft has been building Xbox Ones since even before they announced it. They assumed their DRM was going to fly and would be ok so they thought nothing of shipping the systems without an OS and built a box with a patcher installed, thats it.

Think about it, if the DRM stuck you would have to be online so you would have to get onlin anyway, so lets just work on the OS until its shipping. of course they've had to backflip but the console has been designed in such a way (and manufactured) that they couldn't flash the previously built consoles or the console actually requires 'activation' over the internet

if i am right on this its entirely possible in six months the systems will still need to hit the internet to get the update. and i am pretty sure i am right. its certainly how i would have tackled it if i knew everyone would require internet to use my machine 24/7.

it probably made it a lot easier for them to build the hardware sooner then they may have been able to.

Iacobellis

guys this is what happened i think

Microsoft has been building Xbox Ones since even before they announced it. They assumed their DRM was going to fly and would be ok so they thought nothing of shipping the systems without an OS and built a box with a patcher installed, thats it.

Think about it, if the DRM stuck you would have to be online so you would have to get onlin anyway, so lets just work on the OS until its shipping. of course they've had to backflip but the console has been designed in such a way (and manufactured) that they couldn't flash the previously built consoles or the console actually requires 'activation' over the internet

if i am right on this its entirely possible in six months the systems will still need to hit the internet to get the update. and i am pretty sure i am right. its certainly how i would have tackled it if i knew everyone would require internet to use my machine 24/7.

it probably made it a lot easier for them to build the hardware sooner then they may have been able to.

You can't manufacture something until it gets the proper approval. There is no way Microsoft spent six months building these.

hornetpie

Neo Member
You can't manufacture something until it gets the proper approval. There is no way Microsoft spent six months building these.

you can't sell it until it has approval. you can manufacture as much as you want, but sell, nope

assumption would have been that they would pass, so they built it. Huge risk sure, but calculated one

edit: major nelsons unboxing was uploaded to youtube on the 11th August. They've been building this before E3....

if they had NOT been building this before E3 and the 180, they would have been able to get some level of OS on the device even a basic one

I think the HDD in PS4 and XB1 are less than stellar units too... Sony and Microsoft went for size and cost, not performances. I can easily imagine it's a piece of both systems they went low cost for. It will be interesting to get returns from people using better HDDs or even SSDs on PS4, even though I'm not too sure using a SSD with a system that seems to constantly buffer data (the last 15 minutes of gaming) is a good idea...

DarkFlow

Banned
If he spells out his single word response correctly then MS will totally figure things out!

(honestly don't listen to this guy CBOAT. Don't care how cryptic you make your words, your truth is a big part of GAF.)
I've always wondered how long it takes them to write that bad, I can't believe someone at MS would have that bad a typing skill.

Looks pretty good, at the 9:49 mark you can see the camera has no idea who is holding the controller like Kinect does. Wonder if they will patch that in?

Anyways I will take all of these heated moments we see with a grain of salt. These systems will constantly be evolving over time as they will continually be updating the software. The UI looks nothing like it did on the 360 when it first came out to how it looks now.

Question periods? Can you confirm that either English isn't your first language (which is totally okay and explains your idiosyncratic word choices) or you're Skynet and you're slowly learning English on GAF.

So out of all of the posts here you quote mine? I see you're keeping up the charades from the other thread and followed me here.

DarkFlow

Banned
How long does it take for PC games?
Well I bought Battlefield 4 on disc. It was 3 dvds and took well over a hour to install. I think that was mainly because I have a USB DVD drive and that makes the transfer slow. It was still fast then downloading but not by much., I download at around 7mb/s while my DVD was going at around 9 to 10.

SMH......internet.

I thought snap-gate had already taught us that judging unfinished software, or even software that doesn't even exist on your console that you're not even supposed to have yet (unless its a dev kit) long before actual scheduled release is a lesson in stupidity.

Oh well.

Axass

Thanks for trying to clarify.

And Sony putting "offline enabled" on their box is retarded. Glad I'm skipping this gen.
Frankly, I agree, it is indeed stupid. Though it speaks volumes when you feel the need to put such a label on your console, as if being able to play offline has become a feature that not all systems have. Gaming's quickly going down the gutter.

Rey

Thanks for trying to clarify.

Frankly, I agree, it is indeed stupid. Though it speaks volumes when you feel the need to put such a label on your console, as if being able to play offline has become a feature that not all systems have. Gaming's quickly going down the gutter.

I think they are slowly letting us get used to that idea.

le.phat

Churn GAF churn. Lock Sony FUD threads, churn MS ones.

MfFSxI4.png

PBY

Banned
Wow this thread was awesome when there was discussion based around fact and reality- what the hell happened.

andthebeatgoeson

They nuked his console from afar? And will decide when he can play? Why would I have any interest in buying MS this gen? Don't they realize they fucked up this past gen?

Maybe their 'exclusive' bubble prevents them from realizing the legit complaints? They buy everything, without reservations about finances or considering the gamer. Yes, they have secured a ton of games but at a cost. The guy owns the console and the physical game. That should be a universal idea that he can still play them.

As we move closer and closer to a digital future, we have to depend on that implicit and unstated agreement: you buy it, you can play it. Services, I can understand, and are inherently anti consumer (to avoid comment, about as anti consumer as a loan) but don't touch my games. I was done after rrod. Like done for a generation. Could I reach 'dead to me' levels?

Well, it depends. If you mean 6 months from design to manufacture then that would seem to be the case.

This action by MS isn't just due to their poor plans to resolve the DRM which should never have existed in the first place. It is also one more obviously painful fact that supports the idea Sony caught Redmond with their pants down totally unprepared to launch this year. One cannot help but think MS was planning on launching in 2014 alongside Sony.

So many of the moments where MS have executed a 9.9 publicly viewed PR faceplant are the sort of things that with proper planning and wargaming behind closed doors are eliminated and never see the light of day. Everything about the X1 reeks of rush rush rush "just get it out the door and we will fix it later".

The best analogy I can muster is a man jumping out of a plane with a needle, thread, and some silk and attempting to knit a parachute on the way down.

hoos30

SMH......internet.

I thought snap-gate had already taught us that judging unfinished software, or even software that doesn't even exist on your console that you're not even supposed to have yet (unless its a dev kit) long before actual scheduled release is a lesson in stupidity.

Oh well.

I wonder how many people judging the prerelease OS were saying that MS shouldn't have blocked the console in the other thread?

I see "thekayle" is in his usual comical defense mode this morning. I found this post by him on N4G.

TheKayle1 + 2h ago
@Enemy...

totally untrue....cboat failed hard in certain things..as he get right in others...i think he is 50%/50% as everyone else

and just telling u also the ps4 leave the games to choose if have a online authentication lvl....

theres nothing that ms can do about it...if developer want doit (ala starcraft 2)

hoos30

They nuked his console from afar? And will decide when he can play? Why would I have any interest in buying MS this gen? Don't they realize they fucked up this past gen?

Maybe their 'exclusive' bubble prevents them from realizing the legit complaints? They buy everything, without reservations about finances or considering the gamer. Yes, they have secured a ton of games but at a cost. The guy owns the console and the physical game. That should be a universal idea that he can still play them.

As we move closer and closer to a digital future, we have to depend on that implicit and unstated agreement: you buy it, you can play it. Services, I can understand, and are inherently anti consumer (to avoid comment, about as anti consumer as a loan) but don't touch my games. I was done after rrod. Like done for a generation. Could I reach 'dead to me' levels?

No one knows what really happened, but feel free to jump to the most extreme conclusion.

TyrantII

Yeah, I imagine it's mainly just inconsistencies, though it raises questions on why the offline play logo exists. Maybe Sony really was thinking to have DRM but it'd optionally be opt out, and this would be advertised on the back?

Nah, it's for games like Destiny/Dark Souls/Watchdogs that blur MP into SP, but are able to be completed offline as well.

IE "Offline play enabled" but you don't get the full experience.

If you have to be online to complete a game, it's MP only.

TyrantII

FYI it's 11pm on a Sunday, so people aren't exactly quick to respond to work email. I wanted to check in before I shut-down for the evening. This is what I believe is going on:

We still have two more weeks before launch - the console is in a pre-release state. We are doing regular updates - I personally took one a few minutes before he posted. His build is now old. This is why we were saying we didn't want people on early - it's not done yet.

This behavior is only because we are in pre-release. When we launch, console will work exactly as you expect today on 360.

For sure this has nothing to do with requiring a connection. There is no "DRM removal" in the Day One update because none of the consoles were ever built with that stuff in it.

This also has nothing to do with COD. The Day One update just brings the SW up to date with the latest versions vs. what's on the box. But there is no 24 check in, that's for sure.

Ok, but thats not really the question people have or are freaking about.

The guy with a retail unit early has said that he can't do anything with his system SP or MP due to his console being banned. No options menu access, no dashboard, no single player....

The question is can Microsoft remotely disable hardware? (Not just ban you from LIVE, but turn your $500 piece of sexy console hardware into a non-working paper weight because of X).

Steel

Banned
Went to bed last night after Pennello posted; I'm confused, why is this thread still going? More info or random bullshit?

The guy with a retail unit early has said that he can't do anything with his system SP or MP due to his console being banned. No options menu access, no dashboard, no single player....

The question is can Microsoft remotely disable hardware? (Not just ban you from LIVE, but turn your $500 piece of sexy console hardware into a non-working paper weight because of X).

I think you've answered your own question.

But, but, but CBOAT said Imagn...lol. I'm shocked that this non-story turns out to be a non-story.

It's comments like these that make your name is hilarious on a few different levels, that being said, you're still here fighting the good fight so at least J's brain is tenacious.

stn

Evidence shows that this is only happening because its still in a pre-launch state. As in, the guy isn't even supposed to have the console yet. That he does is due to a retailer mistake. I'm sympathetic to the guy and it definitely sucks, but I'm not jumping on the "let's bash Microsoft" bandwagon. If they have work to carry out and can't have anyone online, then that's what it is.

This is the worrying part. I am sure the DRM thing will be rectified by launch. But thats not what is causing some people to freak out.

Currently a 360 ban means you can still play your games offline. All your discs etc function fine. With a X1 does that change?

Top Bottom