• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pineapple

This should go real well for LSU.......
Probably more likely to go back to the preSaban shitshow that place was than get better.

Unlikely.

Louisiana produces an insane amount of high school football talent. And, more importantly, LSU is the only major FBS program in the state, so if kids want to stay home and play in front of their family and friends, LSU is the only option.

LSU also has a ridiculous amount of big money support, second only to maybe Texas and Alabama. They will give a blank check to whomever they want and will probably get them.

I'm guessing the top two options for LSU at this point are Tom Herman and Jimbo Fisher.

DogDude

Oh man, the delusion of LSU fans thinking they'll even get an interview from Herman or Fisher will be great. I bet they end up with Orgeron

bachikarn

Oh man, the delusion of LSU fans thinking they'll even get an interview from Herman or Fisher will be great. I bet they end up with Orgeron

Don't think it is delusional at all for them to get Herman. He could do a lot of damage there if he is as good as people think. Jimbo is a pipe dream unless he is unhappy at Tallahassee for some reason.

Unlikely.

Louisiana produces an insane amount of high school football talent. And, more importantly, LSU is the only major FBS program in the state, so if kids want to stay home and play in front of their family and friends, LSU is the only option.

LSU also has a ridiculous amount of big money support, second only to maybe Texas and Alabama. They will give a blank check to whomever they want and will probably get them.

I'm guessing the top two options for LSU at this point are Tom Herman and Jimbo Fisher.

That belief doesn't work for Rutgers...and in NJ, Rutgers is the only 1A school.

Pineapple

LSU is easily one of the top 5 jobs in the country. Herman would be getting a massive raise, and Jimbo still has ties to the state and to people in LSU's athletic department.

If I had to put money down on a hire, I would bet that LSU ends up with either Herman or Fisher.

Kusagari

LSU is easily one of the top 5 jobs in the country. Herman would be getting a massive raise, and Jimbo still has ties to the state and to people in LSU's athletic department.

If I had to put money down on a hire, I would bet that LSU ends up with either Herman or Fisher.

I don't see what Jimbo has to gain from taking the job.

I agree with the top 5 jobs bit, but I just can't rationalize a reason for Jimbo to leave FSU for us.

Pineapple

From all of the reports I've read, Jimbo was ready to take the LSU job last November until LSU's president stepped in and made the decision to retain Miles.

For Jimbo, I think it would come down to what his heart wants. He spent years at LSU under Saban, won a national title there, and still has many good friends in Baton Rouge. He wouldn't have to compete with any other major program for the top talent in the state, and the SEC is undeniably a bigger stage for football than the ACC.

Still a lateral move, but given his history there, it wouldn't be surprising.

I'm reading all these lists of possible replacements and Kiffin is on every single one help.

Time to accept your Kiffikins future.
Man that would be funny

Holy shit.. let this happen.

Why, besides money, would Herman consider leaving the situation at UH to go into Saban's shadow at LSU with an irrational fanbase? Especially with UT starting to fall back to reality this season.
Exactly this

Accept it.. Jimbo isn't coming.. Why leave and play in Saban's shadow for several years when you have an excellent situation in FSU especially since Florida is on the downswing at this moment and you can own your state and play an objectively easier schedule than in the SEC West.

guys

what if

Art Briles
They wouldn't be that stupid.. Would they? To deal with the PR nightmare of hiring him... Oof

Fuck you LSU. Fuck you.
We did warn you..

Absolutely nothing unless he's in love with the campus and always wanted to coach there. That's the only reason I think he'd leave.

jfkgoblue

Unlikely.

Lol Bama and A&M are both in the SECW, those two are close enough as well

Ask Rutgers how a talent rich state helps.

Sad to say, but it's gonna be Tom Herman. LSU wouldn't have fired Les halfway through the season if they didn't have a guy immediately next in line.

gg Houston. I hope you guys still make it to the Big XII.

Unlikely.

You sound like me when Pete Carroll left USC.

george_us

If they can get Tom Herman, it will be a good move. I seriously doubt Jimbo would leave FSU for them.

Lousianna has a lot of good kids, but more importantly, they are very loyal to the state and go to LSU even when it makes no sense. It is an appealing job for that reason, but I'm sure a lot of coaches won't have to be in a situation where they have to go through Saban every year to be successful.
Not even sure why LSU fans would want Jimbo. Yeah they'll have better QB play and a better offense overall but you'll still have yearly ass whippings to Saban to look forward to.

ag-my001

Lol Bama and A&M are both in the SECW, those two are close enough as well

Ask Rutgers how a talent rich state helps.
It helps plenty. Imagine how a team without all the 4 and 5 stars would do under Miles (at times questionable) leadership.

Now if LSU botches this hire, A&M and Alabama will be very quick to swoop in and poach that talent, making it even harder for LSU to reach the top of the division.

As an A&M fan, my rankings would be:

Please Don't Hire (I want A&M to move up a spot):
Tom Herman
Jimbo Fisher

Please DO Hire (for A&M ascendancy):
Houston Nutt
Fran
Brian van Gorder

Sad to say, but it's gonna be Tom Herman. LSU wouldn't have fired Les halfway through the season if they didn't have a guy immediately next in line.

gg Houston. I hope you guys still make it to the Big XII.

If that was the case, LSU might as well have waited until the end of the season to make the move because Herman isn't going to be leaving in the middle of the season.

Pineapple

Different situation. USC was hammered by the NCAA after Carroll left and they are still trying to recover.

Their average level of play over the last few years has been just as much a product of those NCAA sanctions as it has been from poor coaching hires.

As both an LSU and FSU fan, I'm in this weird position where I both want and don't want Jimbo to leave. Really I just want LSU to get Herman. Then everyone wins.

Andodalf

Banned
I really hope that this means Bama can completely lock down Louisiana recruits this year. I can practically feel Dylan Moses destroying our foes.

ryseing

9sxHPBx.jpg

Bo is a former LSU assistant and he would be cheap. I wouldn't start laughing.

jjasper

Sounds like every person when a successful coach leaves/is fired. Only time it has worked out for someone recently is OSU. And there was a lot of shit that happened for them to luck into Urbs. But that is really all it is. A crapshoot with a ton of luck involved.

FSU fan here. I'm biased, but I think Jimbo would crazy to take the lateral move to LSU. While he's a very good coach, Saban will still beat LSU consistently until he retires. On top of that, Jimbo has complete autonomy now under the new university president Thrasher.

I think it's more likely to see a guy like Herman take another step up the coaching ladder by taking this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom