• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 15 - ARMY versus NAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgruber

How does Manziel not get the "system QB" label Keenum got last year? It's the same system!

sec.

manziel had 22 of his tds against non conference opponents.

looking at his split compared to mariota and vs ap ranked opponents, mariota looks better.

wonder if ole miss/la tech beating a&m would have affected anything.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/517475/johnny-manziel

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/511459/marcus-mariota

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
A lot of his TDs are from him just running around and making something happen. So I guess that makes him a "play maker."

tebowuni.jpg

bluemax

Banned
sec.

manziel had 22 of his tds against non conference opponents.

looking at his split compared to mariota and vs ap ranked opponents, mariota looks better.

wonder if ole miss/la tech beating a&m would have affected anything.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/517475/johnny-manziel

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/511459/marcus-mariota

Yeah I already broke down Johnny Football's stats against good teams, I just did it without the pointless Marcus Mariota comparison.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Wouldn't it have been Te'o without Manziel? Or does Klein benefit from lacking split votes? If the former, no problem, man. If the latter: yes, your bad.
Tough to tell. The Baylor loss really took a lot of the wind out of Klein's sail. I'm actually surprised he got invited to New York over Barner or Lee. Klein seemed to completely just disappear from the media after KSU got beat down by Baylor.
Pretty much. It didn't even do the rest of us any good, since you're still going to win the MNC.
If it makes you feel any better, we have to live with that fucking clip of Manziel bobbling the football and then nailing the guy who was wide open in the endzone because everybody in the stadium thought the ball was loose.

squicken

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
Crazy that we've now had back-to-back Heisman-winning QBs from Texas that neither of which UT wanted as QBs.

never gets old

bluemax

Banned
So, who is the most underwhelming Heisman of the past 10 or so years, Manziel, Ingram, Troy Smith or Jason White?

Wow, I'm surprised to see Troy Smith got over 90% of the points when he won it.

Eric Crouch had less than 30%, good grief.

Man almost every award winner from that year was an NFL bust, sans Peppers.

bluemax

Banned
Its weird looking back at old seasons of college football. In 1952 lots of conferences prohibited their teams from playing in bowl games! Michigan State split the MNC with Georgia Tech despite playing 3 less games and no bowl game! The Sugar Bowl had two SEC teams face off!

As late as 1952, many colleges, and some football conferences, did not participate in postseason bowl games. #1 Michigan State had joined the Big Ten conference in 1950 for football, but as part of the terms of membership, was ineligible to play in a bowl game until the 1953 season. #3 Notre Dame had a policy against playing in postseason games.[3] #4 Oklahoma was a member of the Big 7 conference (which later, as the Big 8 and Big 12, would send its best team to the Orange Bowl), and that conference banned post-season games. The Oklahoma University Board of Regents considered a motion to allow the team to accept an invitation from the Orange Bowl, and passed a resolution that stated that "Oklahoma belongs to the Big Seven Conference and has followed its rules in the past and should follow them in the future.".[4] Thus, three of the nation's four "top teams" did not play in a bowl game. The exception was Georgia Tech, which played as the SEC champ in the Sugar Bowl. In a forerunner of the SEC championship game, the two best teams in the conference met, with #7 Ole Miss accepting the invitation to play against Tech.

So, who is the most underwhelming Heisman of the past 10 or so years, Manziel, Ingram, Troy Smith or Jason White?

Wow, I'm surprised to see Troy Smith got over 90% of the points when he won it.

Eric Crouch had less than 30%, good grief.

Man almost every award winner from that year was an NFL bust, sans Peppers.

Smith won it so handily because espn basically only covered Michigan and tOSU that year. Not saying he didn't deserve it, but that's how it worked. Then we crushed them in the MNC and espn turned to slobbering on the SEC.

Will people leave Manziel off their ballot completely next year to prevent him winning a second heisman?

I'd say Jason White.

KingGondo

Banned
Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS
Crazy that we've now had back-to-back Heisman-winning QBs from Texas that neither of which UT wanted as QBs.

never gets old
Think about how different UT's program would be perceived if they had gotten RG3 at quarterback... He's just as good as Colt and Vince were.

Garrett Gilbert was the downfall of that program.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
A lot of people throw Ingram out as the answer to this list. I was kind of rooting for Teo to win the Heisman so that this question would be moot in the future.

squicken

Think about how different UT's program would be perceived if they had gotten RG3 at quarterback... He's just as good as Colt and Vince were.

Garrett Gilbert was the downfall of that program.

Yeah that little rally vs Bama set them so far back. Well, Mack staying and pushing out Muschamp is what really killed them. I figured they might have sunk far enough for the money guys to get upset, but I guess they gotta go lower

And your guy Gundy kind of is coming of as an ungrateful turd. I can't believe he's whining about playing a tough schedule. SOS is going to matter when the playoff comes

Ceebs

Yeah that little rally vs Bama set them so far back. Well, Mack staying and pushing out Muschamp is what really killed them. I figured they might have sunk far enough for the money guys to get upset, but I guess they gotta go lower

And your guy Gundy kind of is coming of as an ungrateful turd. I can't believe he's whining about playing a tough schedule. SOS is going to matter when the playoff comes

Thanks for that BTW

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Where the hell were these guys during the regular season? jagowar at least pokes his head in occasionally.

They caught whatever was going on with ND fans.

Homeboyd

They caught whatever was going on with ND fans.
Nah bro, I graduated from a&m... And to answer ag's question. I was at the games :)

Although I do recall talking to him once or twice in here about a few of them... Specifically about my experience in Tuscaloosa after that glorious win. I poke my head in here from time to time.

FyreWulff

http://espn.go.com/college-football...n-expanded-part-keep-penn-state-nittany-lions

The Big Ten's recent additions of Maryland and Rutgers were motivated in part by a concern of losing Penn State to another league, according to Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez.

Speaking Friday to the Wisconsin athletic board, Alvarez said Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany wanted to add teams in the Northeast to ensure Penn State would remain in the conference.

"Jim felt that someday, if we didn't have anyone else in that corridor, someday it wouldn't make sense maybe for Penn State to be in our league," Alvarez told the board, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "That they would go into a league somewhere on the East Coast. By doing that, it keeps us in the Northeast corridor."

ChiTownBuffalo

Colorado is looking at Dan Mullen. Ugh.

ChiTownBuffalo

Tell them to stop. I have already lucked out with the other SEC schools not hiring Petrino.

Petrino question during a presser received an "Absolutely not." from Colorado.

jagowar

Where the hell were these guys during the regular season? jagowar at least pokes his head in occasionally.

My excuse is the same as Homeboyd... have season tickets so I am at the games/tailgating and by the time I actually get on here its 40 or 50 pages back when the game was on. Even most of the away games and special events like the Heisman last night I watch at sportsbars.

Coming to the cotton bowl? I just scored some tickets.

Nice.... looking for some myself but not for the prices they are going on stubhub. Hoping I can find somebody selling one of those student standing room only tickets because I have a buddy who can get me into the club area but I have to get into jerryworld on my own.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Rumor is that Briles said no to Tech so now the top three candidates are Kliff Kingsbury, Chad Morris, and Brent Venables.

Kingsbury has the obvious Tech connection, Morris is a fast rising OC who coached our next QB in high school, and Venables played football with our AD at KSU.

::edit::
Maybe spoke a little too soon, updates keep making sure to stress that the amount of a buyout won't be a problem for these candidates but buyout was never going to be a problem at all except in Briles' case so I would guess the only reason they keep stressing it is that he's still in the mix.

ChiTownBuffalo

Rumor is that Briles said no to Tech so now the top three candidates are Kliff Kingsbury, Chad Morris, and Brent Venables.

Kingsbury has the obvious Tech connection, Morris is a fast rising OC who coached our next QB in high school, and Venables played football with our AD at KSU.

Man, Kingsbury should be a starter int he NFL. Didn't he just bounce around to teams that had locks at QB and no chance to sniff starting?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Kingsbury should be a starter int he NFL. Didn't he just bounce around to teams that had locks at QB and no chance to sniff starting?

Wiki says he was a practice squad member with the Patriots, Saints, Broncos, Jets, and Bills. If he was good enough to be a starter he would have at least broken into the two deep at one of those stops IMO.

The years he was at those stops the starters would have been names like Aaron Brooks, Todd Bouman, Brooks Bollinger, Vinnie Testaverde, Jake Plummer, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

ag-my001

Coming to the cotton bowl? I just scored some tickets.

Nah, can't make it down there. I was actually hoping for a Peach Bowl invite. Got some friends in that area and wouldn't have had to take days off of work. Still, should be a great game, probably the third best bowl behind MNC and Fiesta.

cashman

Banned
Nah, can't make it down there. I was actually hoping for a Peach Bowl invite. Got some friends in that area and wouldn't have had to take days off of work. Still, should be a great game, probably the third best bowl behind MNC and Fiesta.

It's a better game than the MNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom